“"Don't listen to idoits"”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #69 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“"Don't listen to idoits"”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My wife and I, along with 3 other couples returned from the "Palace" on 5/10/14. I'm going to tell you the absolute truth, no sugar coating. Last year my wife and I took a trip to the "Place" celebrating our 45th anniversary that we missed the year before due to my cancer surgery. We had a fantistic trip and loved the resort. We travel with 3 other couples every other year and we all decided to go to the "Palace" for this years trip. No one in the group of 8 had anything bad to say. No mold, no musty smell, cold air, great rooms that were well cleaned each and every day with turn down service every night, great all a round service, especially Juan at the buffet. Good food, not great food, including lobster on 2 different evenings. Top shelf whiskey, not watered down whiskey. I personally saw them open at least 6 JD bottles during the week. I don't know what people expect, they want to pay all inclusive prices and have 5 star everything. WOW, what idoits. The beach was a 10, plenty of shade and chairs anytime you went. Always able to find chairs at the pool, not always at waters edge. The hotel staff were always smiling and did everything they could to make your stay a good one. No problem at check in and no attitudes. I'm sure people have issues from time to time but don't let them spoil your vacation. This was our 16th trip to "The Islands", Mexico, Punta Cana, Virgin Islands, cruises, etc, so it wasn't our first rodeo. The "Place" is a great place to have a wonderful VACATION. Try it, you won't regret it. Remember the staff work for very little, don't forget to tip, it goes a long way to helping their families. Our trip home was another story, we were "on the plane" for over 9 hours. We were to have a 3.5 hour direct flight to Pittsburgh, PA, it turned to be a 9 hour ordeal that went to Pittsburgh, via Atlanta. However, we did get home safe and sound, and that's what counts. Life is short, enjoy everyday of it.....

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, you are there to enjoy the beach, pool, etc. not to stay in your room. Eleva...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank nute26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife and I just returned home yesterday, so this is fresh in my head. First and foremost is that the staff (especially the wait staff) were absolutely outstanding, five star all the way. You will always feel as though you are the most important person on the resort. Tips help of coarse. Which brings me to my first point, tip these people, just because it is all inclusive doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. We found that 5 dollars at the buffet for each meal and 10 dollars at the restaurant's was appropriate. At the pool when they are bringing you your drinks 5 dollars to start and a few bucks every so often will keep your glass full and cold throughout the day. Same goes on the beach. If you are a good drinker, bring a large insulated mug with cover, have them fill that, otherwise you be served with a small plastic cup. You can buy them there but they are about 20 dollars. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and were very disappointed, we actually left and went to the buffet. The Italian was okay, but coming from Chicago our expectations were not high. The steak house was good, but I would not recommend the surf and turf, the lobster again is not what we are accustomed to. The rib-eye was a good choice, but always have it cooked one more higher then what you usually do because they tend to cook on the more rare side. Those were the only 3 restaurant's we went to. The buffet was just fine in between and most of what you can get at the restaurants is there anyways, you just have to get it yourself. My advise is to go there with medium expectations on the food and you wont be disappointed. Again, what you don't get in cuisine will be made up in service. There is a very large selection so if you change it up you wont feel as if you are eating the same food every day. The rooms are very nice and clean, there is a musty odor, but nothing in our room that was over powering like I read in other posts ( and that was a concern because my wife is very sensitive about that). The sheets were a bit worn and a bit pilled which made them a bit scratchy, but not unbearable. We stayed in room 3051 facing the fountains, courtyard and pool. The balcony has a south-west direction so it gets a lot of sun, that might have helped the mustiness. This room is closer to the ocean and away from the entertainment area which helped cut down on the noise from the partying that goes till midnight. There are other rooms that face the opposite direction but you lose a great view, in my opinion. The rooms on the exterior facing SW have a view of a small garden area and the hotel side driveway next door, and very little ocean view. Upon arrival I asked the front desk if I needed to change rooms would it be a problem, they said this would not be a problem, so I am confused by other posts where this was an issue (maybe they were snobbish jerks). Careful on all the floors everywhere, the humidity makes them a bit slippery, even in the rooms and especially the white painted areas on the outer edge the pool. Lastly on the rooms, we tipped our house keeper 5 dollars everyday along with Crayola crayons, coloring books, bath and body works lotion, along with other creams and goodies that we take for granted here in the States. They are very appreciative of these items. We left a few things everyday along with the tip. The only excursion we did was shopping trip into town. I don't recommend this, it looks as though you are going to large shopping mall, but it is small and you are stuck until they come back to pick you up. There are small shops on the resort and if you follow the cobble stone to the end going east you end up on Caribbean Street where you will find more shops that are privately owned. These people are very pushy to get your business, my suggestion is have fun with it. Also if you walk east along the beach (that is to the right if you are facing the ocean) about a half hour walk there are shops right on the ocean, these are extremely aggressive people who try to get you buy from them. NEVER pay their asking price, in most cases I paid half or less. Put a price in your head and stick to it, chances are you get that price. The shops at the resort are not as negotiable, but still never pay their price. There is a very small casino in this hotel and a small one in the RIU Macao Palace, both are smoke filled and not worth the time of day. It reminded me of a very poorly set up casino night at a church. I understand there is a better option at the Hard Rock, but we did not go. If there is one downside for us its that smoking is permitted in most places. This fortunately does not include in door restaurant's on the resort. Some quick dos and don'ts. First the don'ts, don't drink the water, always use bottled water, even to brush your teeth, they give you plenty so this is not a problem. Try to keep the water out of your eyes while showering (we brought small goggles and used them). Don't pay full price for anything. Most important, don't stray from the resorts without a guide. The dos are too many, mostly enjoy a great vacation spot with some of the worlds greatest beaches. Do be patient with the language barrier, after all you are in their country and do tip these people, we noticed most do not and you are in a place with a wage of about 45 cents an hour and as you will see, these people are there at least 12 hours a day 7 days a week, so for those who post complaints about the service, maybe you just a caught a person that sees very little of the beauty you are enjoying or family that we take for granted in seeing hours each day and lots over the weekend. It could be that you got them at a bad time (or you were a jerk). I never saw that once, but we also made sure that we showed our appreciation with our words, hearts and a little bit of money. Overall this was a great experience we will not soon forget.

Room Tip: 3051 faces the south west lots of sun, close to pool and beach away from nightly crowd noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Steve E
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Our first visit to any tropical place. Visited this site to see what we may be experiencing. As usual everyone had good and bad to say from mold to service. I am here to tell you Riu Palace was gorgeous& clean. I was not overwhelmed with a moldy smell, I even brought a small candle with me to counteract the smell, but did not need it.If you think you want a particular room say courtyard vs outside don't pay the extra unless you are going to spend a lot of time in your room. we had an outside I asked for a courtyard and was told an additional $35.we stayed with our room no need unless your spending a lot of time in your room!!!! Our room was great.Although this is an all inclusive the bar in your room is only filled every other day which is more than sufficient with all the alcohol that is in there but we are beer drinkers and only 4 Presidentes per 2days :( we called to the desk when we wanted more but they were warm.All in all a great experience, friendly staff and accommodating. Enjoy :)

3 Thank Cindy S
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Arrived April 22, 2014 around 5:00 pm. using VIP Shuttle service from airport.
Beautiful lobby & friendly staff in lobby. Checked into our room 3064 & began unpacking. Closet door fell nearly on top of me. Called main desk & they sent a "maintenance" tech up immediately. Issue resolved within a few minutes. Should have waited because we had to call again as the in-room safe was not working & the door to the mini fridge would not stay closed. Maintenance came promptly again & changed the spring set for the safe after i proved to him it did not open & close properly every other time. Because I did not speak Spanish the Mini Fridge door was never fixed. I understood he would be back with parts. The room was clean & comfortable with a great view overlooking the courtyard.

April 27 we made a late reservation at the Altagracia restauruant where casual shorts & collared shirt were accepted. Manager asked for a yellow "confirmation slip" which we were never given because we reserved later at the restaurant. The manager was very arrogant & said "NO PAPER-NO EAT" even though space was available & several others were in the same situation.
The meal was Surf & Turf. The worst meal of my life! I asked for medium rare. I could not cut the filet. It was so chewy I could not cut it. The lobster was a complete joke. Huge claws, no tail. This was not Carribean lobster!

April 28 around 9:00 pm we had two back to back power failures which sounded like a bomb going off. There is no "EMERGENCY LIGHTING" so if we had to evacuate it would have been impossible. It was completely black everywhere...dining room,walkways, hallways, etc.. NOT comforting.
We were leaving the next day & had to get up at 2:00am for our flight at 6:00am. Because of power failure the room alarms had to be reset twice because they do not have batteries installed in their radio alarm clocks.
Their main buffet them was "International" for 3 of the 7 nights. Suckling pig was fatty & cold. Overall food was just OK but not what we expected compared to the Riu in the Bahamas.
The weather was great, the staff were excellent but they need to step up on their quality & safety issues.

Nearly forgot to mention the constant slamming of doors & yelling for the first four nights around 2:00 am.

You are basically tied to your resort, even though they advertised we had some access to the other 4 Riu complexes for we were told "Sorry you only have privileges at the "Palace"?

Would I go back? Absolutely NOT.

3 Thank kubined
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had an outstanding trip advisor at the hotel. Her name was Kinis. She booked outstanding tours for us, the most interesting was the tour we took of the Dominican Republic. Saw many interesting sites---churches, countryside, sugar cane fields, etc. The tour guides were awesome. I would like to send Kinis a gift. (Tour advisor) at the Hotel Riu Palace. Where would I direct her gift? She blessed me with a pair of earrings that I admired. I was overwhelmed by her generosity. The Watson's

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patricia W
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was the best hotel i have ever stayed in! The service from the staff is brilliant- waiter service on the beach and ask if you want a drink when you're sat by the pool! Always something nice to eat so many places to choose from. Rooms are clean, the honeymoon suite is lovely. My sister got married here and the wedding was brilliant. 24 hour food and drink from the sports bar. Best holiday EVER!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Larni1997
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I checked the reviews for this hotel before booking and was worried... Mold? Damp? Crazy winds? Bugs? Sand everywhere? I saw some of the locals responses and checked with a trusted travel advisor and decided to risk it.... I advise that you do too!!!

Firstly I'll address all the negatives I heard prior to going and also what we experienced.

Mold/damp
Very little sign of this - the rooms were spotlessly clean, and what little sign of mold I saw was slight and no more than I've seen in other top class resorts in the Caribbean. It's a humid climate and you have air conditioning - it's impossible to avoid!

Bugs :
As a family we got bitten twice on the arm - no issue of bugs in rooms or bugs in lobby carpets etc. very little bug life seen at all - none on the beach. My most bug free trip somewhere hot ever!

Wind :
Nice breeze and occasional higher wind but no sand in drinks or inability to walk along the beach. We enjoyed the breeze as a welcome cool from the sun.

Food:

Breakfast : buffet lots of choice - generally all good
Lunch : two buffet options - fairly repeating but not bad if a little dry and over cooked at times.
Dinner : Lots of choice - yes you have to reserve for a la carte but very few all inclusives don't do this.
Our experience was most a la carte were set starters/ appetizers or buffet starter followed by a choice of main and dessert.

There also wasn't a child menu which was fine for us but is typical at al inclusives.

We'd picked the Italian the first night anticipating a basic Alfredo sauce being somewhere on the menu as an option for our 6 yr old but found antipasti, stuffed chicken, shrimp in white wine, etc - all nice but not typical all inclusive Italian menu.

Steak restaurant - plain (less seasoned choice) if you prefer basic options (meat, potato, veggies) - the steak was nice and cooked well but as with most food on the resort the chicken and lobster was very over cooked.

Japanese - good sushi and appetizers but felt the mains fell short - tempura shrimp was pleasant but more suited for a starter than a main. It was our favourite of all the a la carte we tried though.

After our third night night of being hustled through an a la carte sitting we opted to eat at the buffet but eat as if it were a restaurant - I.e. Not pile our plates high but pick a first, second and third course of normal portion size and eat slowly. This worked by far the best for us. We could arrive when we want, take our time, had very friendly waiters, sat outside, enjoyed!

Pools: one main pool quieter than some of the other riu pools at the other complex hotels. Deeper so no good unless you are big and can swim
Kids pools : the hotel to the south has a two ft deep pool with slides, etc - and a toadstool in it if you seen the picks - our 6 yr old loved this and we visited the next door hotel every day.

Spa: had a massage - asked for a deep tissue - got a basic surface level massage. Pleasant but not what my back needed!

Overall this hotel is very good for its price and depending on how you eat at home the food will either meet your expectations of all inclusive food, exceed or disappoint! We've had better and worse around the Caribbean. As a hotel we felt it didn't really want to be a family hotel - it geared itself to couples or older guests. We enjoyed that it wasn't busy and kid overrun as our daughter is quieter and we all prefer a more chilled out atmosphere.

We would recommend to others. We ourselves likely will not repeat a visit as we ultimately realized was that while nice we are probably not all inclusive fans.

5 Thank Tuckers73
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!