Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$371
$335
$261
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$370
$315
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$160
$125
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$328
$230
Melia Caribe Tropical(Bavaro)
$205
$160
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$516
$403
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$346
$242
$465
$311
Bookit.com
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$259
$202
5,361 results
All reviewsdon manuelmusty smellla bodegaspecialty restaurantssports barpalm treeskrystal restaurantcaribbean streetdominican republicmake reservationsother resortssteakbeautiful beachplenty of chairsthe wait staffmain buffetoutback safari
Reviewed November 20, 2013

About 15 friends went on this trip together through Cheap Caribbean. The host from CC was so helpful and always available. The hotel was beautiful! Our room was always clean and cool. We went in October and the humidity was so high that it was miserable going outside unless you were at the ocean or pool. Entertainment was fun and staff was good. Food was pretty good for a resort. We went on a couple of excursions and a town trip. Town trip was horrible with the children begging for dollars and wouldn't leave us alone. But catamaran was fun and fishing. The only complaint I would have is that there wasn't much of a "night life". When the day cooled off, our group was ready to "party". But there wasn't anything or anywhere available on the premises. With a little improvement on this, this place would be perfect. Remember..don't drink the water or brush your teeth with the tap water (they provide huge fresh water bottles every day), but drinks and ice at the bars and restaurants are safe.

Room Tip: Our room was closer to the beach and facing the water fountains. A/C wonderful, rooms comfortable, service awesome.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Underwood4u
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I'm on the fence on whether I would stay at this location again. I had heard nothing but good things about Riu properties from relatives who've stayed in Jamaica & Aruba, so when they suggested this location, I was ok with the decision. However, reading the reviews made me terrified. No one wants to go on vacation & deal with illness or roaches crawling all over the rooms. But I decided to ignore the reviews & make the best of it & decide for myself.

The staff:
Everyone I came in contact with was very polite. From check in/out, cleaning staff, room service, pool bar, restaurants, etc. I have no complaints at all.

Food:
Because this wasn't my 1st time in DR, I was hoping to get if not the same, at least a similar experience that I had when I visited last year. While all of the food I ate was good, the selections were very minimal. One night we made reservations at the Yokohama Restaurant. All of the food that was served was basically the same food that I'd eaten on the buffet the night before, but it was still good nonetheless.

Entertainment:
They all did a good job. Every day they offered something different & entertaining. One night they had a game show with audience participation. The Michael Jackson show on another night was AWESOME! The lady who was the instructor for pool aerobics was very nice & likeable.

Exterior/Lobby/Restaurants:
One word...GORGEOUS!!!

Rooms:
This is where the problem for me lies. One you step into the hotel you are mesmerized by the beautiful decor, but as soon as you step into your room, it’s like you went from a palace to a motel 6. Rooms need major renovation. The bed spreads were not clean & very outdated. I stripped the bed before sleeping on it for fear they had bed bugs. You literally need a step ladder for the tub/bath combo. Not to mention there was hair in the tub when we 1st got there. Fortunately, we didn't have a roach problem like some of the other reviewers but our bathroom did have an ant problem. The room smelled of mildew. I don't know if it’s the products they're using when they mop the rooms or if I became immune to it because the smell went away on day 2.

With all that said, once the rooms are renovated & they get a better selection of food, I would probably go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NShields111
Reviewed November 18, 2013

You have to remember you are in a third world country, so food and service quality will be inconsistent. At this hotel it ranges from excellent to horrible, you can experience both on the same day. Service can get very casual, so tip often, its is expected and usually helps. First impression of food was absolutely horrible, we arrived between meals and the only place you could eat around 4pm is a sports and snack bars. I thought food at the gas stations back in the US was the worst experience but man, was I wrong. I wouldnt feed my cat with the food they had in a sports bar,it was that disgusting. The best place to eat is the buffet, food there is fresh and fairly diverse. Dont even bother booking one of the a-la-cart restaurants, they have very limited menu,food will be essentially the same but tastes like it was cooked yesterday, you'll have to ask for salt , pepper etc and wait for the things you could have gotten yourself at the buffet much quicker. Alcohol for the most part is watered down. White wine tasted like acetone. Overall, its a decent, well planned but very outdated hotel with old smelly furniture in rooms and in restaurants . There are dirt stains on the the walls of the room. We expected mildew and dampness in the rooms and asked to be on the third floor, but it didnt help much. What helped with the smell was actually NOT running the ac or ceiling fan because they made the smell worse and most of stinch came from the vent shaft. Just before embarking on this trip we read a few reviews about cockroach problems(it was too late to change plans at that point), so I brought a spray can of cockroach repellent that I used on the first day spraying all corners and door ways. Sure enough, next morning we found a dead cockroach about 2" long. That experience alone could ruin any vacation. Sleeping with an open balcony was ok but up to about midnight music from the neighbor hotel was blasting every evening. There was also occasional construction noise sometimes up to 11 pm. There is a shortage of beach towels, so get them early in the morning. There is no umbrellas on the beach, only palm trees. Entertainment is boring but that was the least of our concerns. The verdict is-if you can go to a nicer hotel- I would avoid this one.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lixonn
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this place tremendously. Cleanliness is tops, food at the buffet enjoyable for the taste buds as well as the eye, choices very well balanced. The restaurants that need reservation, e.g. the Krystal and the Steak House, nice service, the food nothing special though.
Important for us is a sandy beach with palm tree shade, no palappas to obstruct the view and that is what we got. Plenty of beach chairs available.
Quiet place, nice evening live music on The Plaza having a drink or cappuccino. Very attentive service, again.
Around the pool a bit more lively in the p.m. games take place then.

It was our third time there, no regrets at all. Weather was just fine.

A/c in rooms quiet and no problem with adjusting it. Nice balcony with chairs and table and laundry rack.

Room Tip: Our room had the view to the pool area and
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Uebung

Amazing hotel !
The waiters around the pool are fab at keeping your drinks topped up, entertainment staff are friendly and put a smile on your face!
The food was good especially the Italian and steak house!
We booked this resort as our honeymoon and the staff there made it one to remember!!
The beach is beautiful and grounds of the hotel are maintained daily, our room was cleaned everyday with plenty of fresh towels and decorated with balloons and towel designs daily. This hotel suited us because we could relax when we wanted to but also join in on the activities trough out the day if we wanted, the entertainment team worked none stop to ensure everyone was having a good time and the shows during the evening were good too, plenty of bars and restaurants around the hotel to enable you to have a different night each night.
Don't listen to bad reviews !!! Yes there is a smell in your room but leave air con on throughout the day, we didn't see a single bug in our room, and we didn't have upset stomachs !! Enjoy your holiday we did!!

• Stayed: November 2013