I was a little underwhelmed and I feel guilty saying it, like its a rich people problem. The hotel itself is lovely, the employee's are great. My problem with the place (and this may be a symptom of the whole strip) was a disconnect, the hotel is like a beautiful guided cage, there is the feeling of being completely separated from the local culture in some disneyesque cocoon, with the addition of armed guards on the beach. Some people may buy into this highly contained environment, I found it sanitized and a barrier to experiencing the land and its culture in a natural way. Give me a little 60's styled hotel on a quiet beach in Cuba any day.
While your there have a look at the neighbouring RIU hotels, holy #$%^& do they lower the food standards!! Its heartless how the RIU sells the dream.
If you get the chance head out in a boat cab (or cab-cab) to Captain Hooks for a real taste of the Caribbean with fresh fish and huge lobsters, and other Dominican ppl.
BTW - LOVED the dune buggy excursion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana