“Change is Good”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #69 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have gone to the Riu Palace every two years for a great relaxing vacation. We are impressed with how well the grounds are kept up and the entire hotel which holds over 200 rooms is immaculately cleaned. The maids are mopping steps from beach sand throughout the day. It is great to see new and familiar faces in Don Manuel Restaurant in which we go for breakfast and dinner. We ate at the speciality restaurants and were only impressed with the quality of service and food at the Krystal Restaurant. We plan in the future to only eat there and take all our meals at Don Manuel which has good service and you can eat on your time. A great new upgrade to the hotel is free wi-fi in the rooms. Just ask at the front desk for your user id and password. We also found that the beach waiters were more attentive than any of our 3 experiences. It might have been due to the fact that we were there during survey week. The entertainment team were high energy and spent many hours working the crowd throughout the day and evening to join and to participate in activities. We enjoyed the late morning dance lessons on the beach. Although there are new hotels that have been added to the coast, the beach that is outside the hotel is the best. It's deep from the Caribbean sea, shady or sunny and great for swimming or sunning. We will continue to cater this jewel of the Caribbean Sea.

Room Tip: Chose rooms on higher floors. The moldy smell is less or not noticeable at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela B

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I actually have referred friends to stay here and they did. So lets break it down. Gym: none. High end alcohol:none. Beautiful beach: everywhere. Pools: several nice ones. Restaurants on property: yes but some mandate reservations. Food: OK. Drinking water: everywhere and without question given freely. Any drink you want: everywhere. Be careful of what armband you get. We got one that let's us go to all the connecting resorts in this Riu chain but heard others saying they could but the staff politely stated not with that band. When you get off the plane to pick up your bags be prepared to be bombarded by a hundred people wanted your american dollar to help you to your taxi/waiting transportation. We everything arranged but still had someone wheel our wheeled bags (oh yes it's so hard to pull a wheeled bag) to the waiting car. It's quite the third world airport. On property they do their best to keep the beggars away but they are there, poverty is hidden but the people are mobile. Expect to approached if walking on the beach. They will have some vendors on property but be forewarned most of what they sell will be confiscated at the airport through customs; including those straw hats etc. if you want to be disconnected from the world, have warm breezes, humid air and rooms (our towels never dried and I live in Florida so I know about humidity) beautiful beaches, pleasant staff, fair food, tons of alcohol, and tons of sun. Go stay there. To honest most of the all inclusive s we visited while at Punta Cana were all the same concept. Enjoy.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed April 19 through April 26th. The resort was beautiful. We traveled with Apple Vacations for the first time and i would travel again with them it was a great experience with them. We have a great vacation. Traveled with a group of 28 people. Rooms were very clean. They had a musty smell, fabreeze would solve that. We found a little black mold in the shower. The food was descent. The specialty restuarants were great. We did tip the staff they were great especially the entertainment group, we had a great time with them. We took the free one and a half hour shopping trip to Merle(i think that's what it was called) with Amstar. They take you to a one room store. You can buy souveniers, alcohol, clothing, cigars and higher end jewelry. I did not buy jewelry there but did buy it from the vendors walking the beach. I did buy some Brugal Extra Vaejo rum. I paid $15 US dollars at this store but the same bottle was $35 US dollars at the airport. I actually found the airport Duty Free was more expensive on everything so if you are going to bring back items, gifts shop before you go to the airport.
Overall I feel this is resort is a great value for your dollar. I would stay again at this resort and recomment it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Don't get a room above the plaza. The Plaza is where lots of the entertainment happens and it c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BERNICE R
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Check in was a breeze, The hotel grounds, pool, beach and rooms were all to my liking.( FYI) The in room safe is small, so you wont be able to put your lap top in it. If you are bringing one buy some locks for your luggage so that you wont have any problems with theft as I did read a few reviews that mentioned being robbed. I did not have this problems. If something is of value put it away do not leave it out. Now for the room service, all they have are sandwiches and fruit. I did not have the need to use it. Moving on Wi-Fi they give you the code at check in, my device kept loosing the connection not sure why, but I did not need it to often so it was not a problem
for me. When you book this hotel they give you a bracelet which gives you access to the other Riu Hotels next door. I really liked our hotel so I only walked over to the other hotels to look around I did not hang out. They were nice also, but I think ours was the best looking.

Things I did not like,

1. The pool area does not serve snacks, only drinks. Come on Riu, you can make a small snack
menu for the pool. And there is no pool restroom. You have to walk over to a restaurant to use
the restroom and after many hours at the pool I did not see many people going in that
direction. You know what that means. And people stop putting your towel on a pool chair and
not sit in at all day.

2. I tried three of the specialty restaurant and 1 of them sucked, it was suppose to be a
Brazilian restaurant (La Bodega) Really bad food and service.
The salad bar was empty and none of the workers cared. The meat took a long time to
come out, and when it did, the worker Pedro Kept serving the same table. I was sitting for a
long time with no food on my plate.
I think he was serving certain tables because he thought they would tip more. (whatever)
When the meat finally made it to our table it was very hard not worth the wait. At this point
the buffet would have been better. The only person who was attentive at this restaurant
was a young girl (did not get her name) she who would refill your drinks as soon as it
needed. And guess who got your tip Pedro, she did.

3. The company that hangs out in the pool area Scuba Caribe they are shady especially Enrique
I suggest you book activities with blue travel in the hotel lobby. But you do have to go through
them for the hotel beach activities canoeing and wind surfing which are included.

If you have a question about the resort please ask,

The airport is 30 minutes away, And they charge 10.00 per visitor upon arrival.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dori90210
Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a rocky start. (The President decided to go into and out of Ohare on a Friday the busiest travel day of the week which shut Ohare down and backed several flights up for several hours - Think Mr. President) After a sprint we made it 2 terminals away to JUST catch our flight to Dulles. The next morning we made our flight to PC, but because we just made our flight to Dulles, our baggage did not arrive with us. We saw that there was a flight out of Chicago to PC on Saturday morning and hpoed that is how United would get us our baggage which we would have seen later on Saturday afternoon. However they had our luggage follow us so we did not see it until Sunday afternoon.

The Resort was all we expected it to be and because I had suprised my wife with a suite upgrade it was more. The beach was fantastic and we walked several miles each way each day. My wife was intrigued by the ship wreck of the Ashton just off the coast. The food was good at each of the specialty restaraunts as well as the buffets. The beverages were typical of an all
inclusive and the beer "El Presidente" was OK at best. We loved our room but could have used clean towels etc. a little more often. The room service menu left a lot to be desired. I believe there were 3 options for each meal. We like to have a breakfast in our room a couple times each vacation but because of the limited menu we decided not to partake this time around.

My wife and I are not super picky when it comes to travel and kind of go with the flow. So there is nothing that would really stand out as dissapointing.

I also want to give a special shout out to our United Vacations Host Freddie while were in PC for his assistance with our luggage and the microwave popcorn he brought for my wife from home one of the days we were there.

Room Tip: Go with a suite. The Jacuzzi suite looked nice, but why pay more for an additional Jacuzzi in a leve...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RC1959
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went back to Riu Palace Punta Cana because we were there 4 years ago and it was one of the best vacations we ever had. This time although it was a good trip there were some things left to be desired. The rooms are ready for some updating, the sheers in our room had a small amount of black mold, there was no bed skirt, and most of the towels and sheets had stains on them. The food on their buffet was good, not great, but good. The Steak House restaurant was was terrible. The steak was so tough I couldn't eat it and the veggies were not cooked at all. Try biting into a piece of corn on the cob that hasn't been cooked. The Italian restaurant was incredibly delicious. The table and chairs around the pool area were not cleaned before the next morning, so whoever had spilled something the day before it was still there the next morning. Same with most of the ash trays throughout the hotel. They were not cleaned very often and this from me a smoker. The beach was kept pretty clean, but there was some trash and cig butts. The service was good most of the time, the ladies in the spa and the servers in the restaurants weren't the most friendly, but everyone else was very helpful and nice. SO, I wouldn't rate Riu Palace Punta Cana a 4 any longer. At best I would give it a 3.5. Over all this is was a good trip, very relaxing and the weather was amazing.

Room Tip: Keep the curtains drawn it will keep your room cooler. Ocean/pool views recommended or else you see...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cherryberry1521
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Overall, Riu Palace Punta Cana was a good choice for a holiday. The establishment was spotless, beach was gorgeous and the general staff were exceptional. Having said that, I must say that the front desk staff that checked us in leave a lot to be desired. The person who checked us in became rude and belittling when we asked for a second key. He totally ignored our first request and became obnoxious when we had to ask a second time. ......and he did this in front of other guests ! Very arrogant !Another person that did not impress us was theSun Wing Rep. We were checking to see if our flight was still leaving on time. This girl had absolutely no interest in helping us. She was unfriendly and abrupt. Having said that, she was all over the clients who were interested in booking a tour.
The food was generally very good and the service excellent.I liked the buffet the best .There was always a good selection and well prepared with the exception of the " rib eye". it was definately not a rib eye roast.It looked more like a regular oven roast and was overdone and tough .
The only restaurant I would not recommend was the Brazilian. They tried to pass off hot dogs for chorizo sausages and the rest of the meat was tough. We did not finish our meal.
Riu Palace was a beautiful hotel on a fabulous beach. Generally, service and food were good with a few exceptions. I don't think I will return because I am looking for something a bit smaller with ocean front rooms. But as a last minute holiday, it worked for us.

• Stayed: April 2013