Hotel is colonial style with chandeliers and a stained glass roofed lobby giving a good first impression. The reception staff are efficient and checking in was done with no delays and our luggage was waiting for us by the time we reached our room. Surprised by some of the comments about the state of the rooms as ours was very clean and certainly not smelly or stuffy. We were celebrating an anniversary and there was a bottle of bubbly, plate of fruit, a necklace and a cigar in the room on our arrival, much appreciated.
On the 2nd last day the A/C failed and although we reported it and someone did appear to check it, it was nor repaired by the time we left, when I spoke to reception on leaving they said they had had problems with the system but that it was now rectified although each room had to be individually checked and that they were working on it?
The lift in the middle of the building was very temperamental and the doors tried on a number of occasions to squash guests. It was out of order on a couple of days which meant it was a hard climb to the 3 rd floor at the end of the day.
The hotel gardens are very well attended and I noticed that the hedges were sprayed which possibly accounted for the lack of biting insects.
The food in all the restaurants was very good and it would very difficult not to find something to your taste. The staff are excellent and welcoming and thoroughly deserve any tips they receive.
Surprised that some guests thought the drinks were watered down as the bars went through a large amount of bottles and were always busy, so don't know when the staff were able to water them down
I found it to very noisy at times within the bars and around the pool with large groups of Americans and Canadians who seemed unable to hold a conversation without shouting (my apologies as I'm sure that come summer time it will be us Brits who are making the noise)
Didn't see much of the night entertainment but the few shows I saw were ok although I felt the dancers etc were restricted due to the small size of the stage. The presentation of the game prizes before the shows is boring and I'm sure if I went back next year not all the animation staff will still have learnt to dance.
The beach is lovely but is exceptionally busy and it is like walking down a busy shopping street, so it is not the place to go if you are looking for a quiet time .
There are a number off shops within the hotel grounds and in Caribbean Street and their prices are pretty steep. A flea market is situated on the beach about 800 mts away where you can buy all things to take home and prices are much more attractive than the shops when you barter with stall holders. They will approach you but are not persistent when you say no thank you.
There is a small shack with 4 tables and chairs where you can buy a beer
Booked a couple of trips through our tour operator (Thomson). They advertise the price in $ but when paying by card they convert it to peso's with an not favourable exchange rate.
The hotel possibly qualified for 5* a number of years ago but when you compare them to neighbouring 5* hotels it is now just a good 4* but even allowing for that I enjoyed my stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana