We just arrived back from our vacation at the RIU Punta Cana and it was a great way to spend a week. The qualify we received there was what we expected from the RIU chain. It looked & felt a lot like the RIU in Cabos. Grounds are kept beautifully & clean, rooms were tided up daily, buffet provided an assortment of good food that enabled all tastes to enjoy a nice meal. The beach was probabbly one of the nicer ones along the stretch with lots of sandy beach area. Lots of chairs on the beach area for both sun & shade seekers. Pool water was warm as was the ocean! A few items I would put on my wish list for this RIU:
1. A snack bar near the pool/beach that offered small snacks all day long rather than always going to the buffet everytime you wanted a munchie but you could only go when the buffet was open.
2. For a resort that is a fair size, the one pool was a drawback. The swim up bar area was always filled with guests who camped out there pretty much all day, and getting a drink could prove difficult. Also, there was always a film of "guk" around the corners of the pool and it made us a little squeemish dipping into it - But we are beach lovers, so it was not really an issue for us.
3. While the Entertainment Staff at the RIU tried their best with the evening entertainment, this RIU needs to invest some money into their programs. Being limited to what you can do in the evening, better entertainment would be welcomed. The qualify is poor and gives off a cheap feeling.
4. Get rid of the Japonese & Italian Restaurant- horrible is the only way I can describe them- change the cooks or change the venue- the buffet was by far a superior choice
Overall, the RIU was quite good. I would go back and recommend it. Remember it is Dominican Repubic, and you should reset your expectations to what is considered in 5 star Caribbean Countries- if your really picky and fickle- find yourself a diamond resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana