Our trip took place end of November 2012. We wasted our first day at the hotel arguing with the front desk manager for rooms that didn't smell of mildew and that did not face a construction site. We were told that we paid for what we were getting ... yup, I paid over $1200 for mold and mildew and to face a construction site while on holiday in the Caribbean!?!? If I wanted to see construction, I would have rented a room in Montreal overlooking one of our many highways! After 3 hours, we were finally given somewhat decent smelling rooms on the other side of the hotel. Of course, the 2 rooms only had 1 king size bed each versus the doubles that we needed since we were 4 singles! The next day, our friends had to move rooms since the bathroom ceiling in their room caved in during the night due to water leakage!!! Thank God it wasn't the ceiling over their bed! BTW, our bathroom had mold on the ceiling over the bathtub due to the lack of a fan in it to draw the moisture from the room. The outside of the hotel itself has black mold all over which is visible to the eye, all you have to do is look up near all the rooftops to see it.
FOOD: Aside from the Italian restaurant, all the other restaurants were horrible -- I am not exaggerating. Stick to the buffet which offers fresher and tastier food. Their snack bar food consists of nachos with queso or cold hot dogs or sandwiches that you can microwave to eat??? This is a 4.5 star resort?? Actually don't go to this hotel at all -- I've heard that the Grand Bahia is 100% better than what you get here. *Note: Once back home, my system took 2 weeks to get back to normal, couldn't hold anything in, the doctor said it was e.coli contamination.
DRINKS: Read well -- there is NO TOP SHELF alcohol served here. The whiskey smells like cough syrup, they do not know how to mix drinks if their lives depended on it, a cosmo martini tasted like rubbing alcohol, the baileys was a knock off watered down version, etc. If you have any fruit allergies, the bartenders and waiters don't care to take note serving you whatever drink you ordered adorned with pineapples, oranges, etc. and laughing when you remind them that they could kill you.
SERVICE: Nothing great, people not extremely friendly like other places I've been to in the Caribbean.
ENTERTAINMENT: Weird! Animation team was not overly enthusiastic in getting people involved with the shows. The shows seemed to have some transvestite theme going on, don't know if it was just the week we were there or always???
BEACH: If you don't get to the beach early enough, you have to struggle to find chairs to sit on. No one available to help you move them around like other resorts I've been to. The water was warm at this time of year but had a lot of seaweed and was full of rough waves with an undertow at times, not very enjoyable.
I could go on with some of our other unfortunate experiences at this hotel but the review would be too long! Let's just say that this hotel should be avoided at all costs!! My opinion of the Domincan is that it should be avoided period.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 40 km / 31 miles from Higuey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Intl. Airport Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana