We are a family from the US, stayed December 23 - 30. We had great weather, the hotel was wonderful, service great, food very good. The evening entertainment was lacking a bit but that was fine for us - not high on our priority list.
There were very few other Americans - lots and lots of Canadians and many Europeans - fun variety. English was the main language but it does help to speak Spanish.
We tried 4 of the specialty restaurants and preferred the Brazilian and Italian. Japanese and Krystal (fusion?) were just not our kind of restaurants. (to sign up you need to go to the Italian restaurant from 8 - 11 am and get reservations. They fill up fast but they do let you do more than one day at a time). The buffet always had a good variety of everything so there were no complaints there. We also ate at the steak house for lunch most days and found that to be good also. The bar service was always great and we went next door to the bar there also - very similar. It was nice to have the option of other hotels.
The gym is small but was never crowded. The stretching and water aerobics were not exactly professional but something active to do. We spent a lot of time walking miles on the beach. One day we walked down to the Hard Rock which was about 1 1/2 miles each way. It seemed exactly like Vegas - very interesting and everyone should check it out. The casino at Riu is very small but they made great daiquiris. (it was by the disco, not sure which hotel)
We did the water sports - catamaran and kayaks. It fills up quickly so make an appointment early and maybe a day in advance if you want to try this. We had great weather so that helped.
I have heard others saying they couldn't find chairs by the pool or beach but that wasn't the case when we were there. There always seemed to be plenty. Service around the bar was great - there was always someone offering a drink. We took many one dollar bills and tipped generously but it didn't seem to make a difference if one tipped or not - still got great service.
It was just a perfect week. I would go back in a second and will highly recommend Riu Palace Punta Cana to everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 40 km / 31 miles from Higuey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Intl. Airport Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana