“Paradisus is paradise - For brides to be, this is a must read!”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #17 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were planning a destination wedding, and based upon the reviews of kid-friendly resorts (we had a flower girl), we selected this resort and are so glad we did! My husband and I have decided to each write a review, because we each had a different experience and wanted to share with Trip Advisor readers.

The Paradisus offers several wedding packages, ranging from $1500 to $5000+. To help you plan your wedding, you have a wedding coordinator contact at the resort as well as a contact person in Miami, Florida. I found the the staff to be extremely responsive to emails and provided you with a lot of literature about the options available. For brides on a budget, ask about prices, as there are a lot of things that you can add on, but the costs add up as there is an 18% tax on top of the quoted price.

After receiving all the literature - we believed that we understood our options. That was an incorrect assumption. We had to have several telephone calls, lengthy email exchanges in order to understand the options/the packages, and yet we still did not understand. My husband is bilingual - so it was not a language issue. Rather, what we realized is that we received different information from the resort from what we were told from the folks in Miami. Also, some of the information in the written materials was incorrect.

What helped us tremendously is that the resort offers a Love At First Sight visit, where you can travel to the resort and that what you pay for the room is applied as a credit to your wedding package. I thought that this would be my sneaky way to get in a short vacation before the wedding. I think my husband had the last laugh as we had meetings scheduled everyday with different vendors to plan the wedding, which meant not a lot of pool time for me.

During the Love At First Sight visit, we sampled almost every dish from their plated menu options. We saw the different options for the wedding location, the cocktail hour, and the reception location. If we had not gone on this visit, we would not have known about the location that we chose for our reception (not listed on their wedding materials). We would recommend making set appointment times with the photography staff as well as Caribbean Celebrations (decor), as opposed to letting the wedding coordinators make the arrangements, as there were several miscommunications between the resort and the its vendors.

So, after a positive Love at First Sight Visit, we came back and decided that we liked the decorations and options for the Chill Out Chic package, as opposed to the Aqua package. When we notified our Miami contact of the change, we were told that our package had changed (decor, options, and price) and that the 2013 package was not available. If there was a moment for a bridezilla moment, this was it. After leaving a very upset voicemail message, about 5 minutes later, I received an email from Miami advising that we could have the 2013 package (decor, options and price). Bridezilla moment over. In addition, the resort advised that they would be able to accommodate our request to design our own wedding buffet (combining options from two buffets).

Prior to the wedding, we wrote out a list, specifically listing what we wanted so that there would be no confusion. As I had began to expect, there was always something not correct, but by the time we were ready to depart for the wedding, everything had been confirmed. Yeah!

The resort is probably the most elegant place that I have stayed. It is breath-taking. We had 20 guests attend our wedding. They were as impressed with the resort as we were, and were ready for a few days of fun in the sun. Because we had family meeting for first time, we asked the resort coordinator to make a reservation so that we could introduce everyone and have a family dinner. They made two reservations, but unfortunately, the restaurant's staff was not able to accommodate our one group until 30 minutes after the reservation time, which was so frustrating as this was a poor reflection on us.

When our resort coordinator, Nuria, learned about this incident, as a surprise to us, she made two reservations for the following day for group dinners, which turned out to be the best meals for our family! That same day, we met with staff from the decor vendor as well as the photographer to go over everything one last time. Fingers crossed - 10 times would be the charm.

On the day of the wedding, the sun was shining and the weather was warm. Just the most perfect day for a wedding! I arrived at the bridal suite (an option all brides should consider), and one of the most wonderful stylists, Eduis (apologize if I have the spelling of her name wrong), did my hair and make-up. One of the things I wanted was fresh flowers in my hair - whoops, I think that there was a miscommunication as she did not know about the flowers. Nuria was immediately on it to try to get some flowers, but Eduis called the spa staff and sent them out into the garden to pick these beautiful flowers that matched the flowers on my dress perfectly. I looked amazing. Additionally, throughout my process of getting ready, Nuria was so helpful in getting me anything that I needed and checking in on me.

Then, for the wedding, Nuria walked my dad and I to the wedding area. As we walked around the pool, all the guests were clapping and congratulating me. The most wonderful way to let the groom know you were on your way. The wedding on the beach was perfect. Our photographer, Hernon from TropicOne, was amazing and fun to work with.

After the wedding, the guests attended a cocktail hour on the beach, with open bar, hors d'oeuvres, and a Dominican Trio. Everyone loved the appetizers and the music from the trio. This allowed our guests to have fun while we were getting our pictures taken. Everyone was dancing to the music of the trio.

Then, everyone went over to our reception. We created our own playlist for the dinner. The reception was set-up elegantly. I think it looked absolutely beautiful. I don't know if they set up everything the way that it was supposed to be, but it was perfect to me. There is not one thing that I would change. It was a beautiful evening filled with wonderful memories!

I had a wonderful time working with Nuria and Claribel and wished that I had been able to work with them from the beginning. They were so helpful and just wanted to make sure you had the best experience. Also, Hernon from TropicOne was great to work with. We told him to use his creativity for the photos, and now we have a beautiful photo album.

As for our room at the resort. We decided to splurge and stay in Royal Service, particularly since at the Love At First Sight visit, the resort upgraded our room to Royal Service and we had Carmen as our butler. She was helpful, made certain to check in with us at least once a day, and gave us a wonderful experience. This time, however, we had Manuel, who we spoke with at arrival and I saw once out by the pool. I am not certain I would pay for Royal Service again, as it can be a hit and miss with the butler.

The food at the resort is very good and the staff very friendly. Overall, we had a wonderful experience, but a may be a bit biased as it was my wedding!

5  Thank WineGossip
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in selecting Paradisus Palma Real Resort for such special occasion, your wedding. We are aware that they are few important moments in life as a couple’s wedding, and I feel highly honored to have been trusted with yours.

I am glad to know that you have appreciated the hard work, helpfulness, friendliness and dedication demonstrated by Eduis, Nuria, Claribel and Hernon. I will personally pass your comments to them.

I truly lament any inconvenience you may have encountered during your wedding planning; however, our team was always focused on making you have an unforgettable experience.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments.

Our team is going to be more than glad to be part of your wedding anniversary next year.

Sincerely yours,

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Write a ReviewReviews (11,598)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel grounds are beautiful - as you see it on the advertisement so it is in person. But if you like food - don't go here - very disappointed. Ice cream best dessert. Internet is not good in the rooms.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Elly E
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Because the Excellence does not allow children, we decided to get married at the Paradisus Palma Real. It is the most elegant resort in Punta Cana that I have seen.

I found the wedding planning frustrating. I felt that we were talking past each other.

The first part of the planning is with Paradisus' office in Miami. We read and re-read all of the materials and yet were left feeling like idiots when we spoke with the Miami folks. On this note, if you can, please take advantage of the Love at First Sight visit - you will get to see what they mean in their materials.

We felt that they kept getting an item or two of what we had chosen wrong, even when we submitted in writing.

For example, all the materials said that the wedding would be in Spanish and the hotel would provide a translator. When we asked about that we were told it would be in English. A week later we had a call with the decor folks and were told it would be in Spanish with a translator. We asked again and were told it would be in English. In fact, it was in English.

Another example is the lighting. We were reminded by decor that we needed lighting and we wanted Chinese lanterns that we had been shown when we were there for our Love of First Sight. I went to the decor website, as instructed, and such lighting was not in the catalog. So I found a sample on line and sent a picture. The response was in essence "silly boy, you missed them in the catalog." The only problem was that the catalog they sent me was not on the website and in fact was the 2012 catalog. I guess clairvoyance is required.

We were also very disappointed when after we had paid the initial deposit and the second installment, and after we had come back from the Love at First Sight visit, they told us that the pricing had changed and we would now have to pay extra for the cocktail party. After my bride threatened to cancel the wedding and move it elsewhere, they relented.

As for the plated dinners, we were surprised to learn that every guest had to have the same meal, rather than choose a plate from the menu. Keep in mind that this is an all inclusive with several restaurants. If a guest did not like the meal, he or she could simply walk over to a restaurant and get a plate. We decided to create our own menu.

Lastly, we scheduled several meetings during our Love at First Sight meeting, or I should say that we were told of the meetings. The problem was that apparently the resort did not confirm the meetings with the decor folks or the photographer. The former was over a half hour late, and the latter was not available until the next day.

As to the hotel generally, we were taken a bit aback by the staff attitude (not Nuria and Claribel mentioned below). We felt as if the staff expected tips. While we tip generously, we do not like to feel pressured. Also, the hotel had made dinner arrangements for our guests on the first night. The one group was no seated until 30 minutes after the reservation and the second was seated in a restaurant that did not serve what we expected. The property did make it up to us - wine off the wine list was on them for the one group and they made a second set of reservations for the following night and everyone had a wonderful time the second night.

In a similar vain, while we were there another family (unrelated) made reservations for golf on Thursday. When the went to the lobby to go golf, they were told there was no reservation. They made a new reservation for Sunday. The appointed time came and again they were told there was no reservation. They were livid and rightfully so. The course was just beautiful (we saw it on the Segway tour).

The wedding itself was wonderful.Our photographer, Hernan of Tropic One was superb. Nuria and Claribel (the Romance Coordinators - the hotel folks in charge of getting things done) were really helpful and responsive. The Romantic Dominican Trio was perfect for the cocktail reception.

There were two things wrong with the dinner. The cake was rectangular instead of round. Nuria offered to have a new one baked, but we did not care - it was fine. The chairs were not covered in ivory but rather were tan. This one does bother me, because we spoke 4 times and gave them written instruction. In fact, the day before we said "when in doubt, its ivory." So either they got it wrong even though we had gone over it and over it. Or they made a managerial decision which should have been ours.

The food was perfect. Cannot recommend the beach bbq more - it is exactly what a Caribbean destination wedding should be.

The next morning, we left and had a perfect honeymoon at the Excellence.

In short the place is beautiful and the wedding and reception was just wonderful. Management, however, is lacking.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Winelover2011
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I went to the Paradisus Palma Real for our 10th Anniversary. The resort was great and we would definitely go back. First, the resort itself is very pretty, well decorated and clean. Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom featured a Jacuzzi. Both the beaches and the pools were great. In general all of the staff were very pleasant and accommodating.

We had the “Royal” service and our butler, Luis Martinez, was outstanding. He took care off everything we needed and always had a warm smile for us. Several times during our trip he did a romantic set up in the room for us (flower petals, warm bath, champagne). He always managed to make us feel special and like we were his only guests.

The restaurants we ate at were all very good. I’d say we had one sub-par meal during our stay but everything else was great. Whether it was steak at Market Grill or Italian at Palazzo or seafood at Gabi Beach, we always had a good meal. We also ate at the Passion restaurant (see separate review) which was not included but well worth it.

All of the staff worked so hard to make our time at the resort special. At the beach, “Super” Billy always had a warm welcome and saved our favorite chairs for us. The nightly performers/dancers were so talented and took time to engage and dance with many of the guests. My wife is from Venezuela and by our second day various staff members would call her “Venezuela” whenever they saw us. Its amazing how friendly all of these people were as they worked long hours to take care of all the guests.

Dear Matt and Angela,

I would like to thank you for posting such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us. At Paradisus Palma Real our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectation.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our services and facilities, especially our Royal Service section of the hotel.

I am also pleased to learn that you have appreciated the friendliness, dedication and outstanding service you have received from our staff. Thanks to your compliments to Billy and Luis Martinez. You may rest assure that I took good notes of your observations.

Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceeded and that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Back from a 5 day trip to Paradisus Palma Real. We stayed in a Royal Service Imperial Ocean Front Suite. The room was great. The butlers are helpful- reserve your cabana 11am the day prior to hopefully guarantee you have one by the pool! There are plenty of chairs, space on the beach and areas to setup for the day. The bartender at the Royal Service pool bar, Leonardo Mota (Leo), helped make every day fun. He's a great personality, has a good time doing his job and is one of those people that makes your stay memorable. Definitely go see him.

The food was good- some of the best food we've had at all inclusives. The entertainment was not great- their venue is more like a conference setup vs a tropical theater. We've been to Excellence PC, Excellence Playa Mujeres and two Couples resorts- all of which had better evening entertainment options. Having said that, if you don't care about the shows, you are not missing anything at this resort. It has everything else you could work- including a more laid back atmosphere vs party atmosphere. Good mix of different age couples.

Room Tip: Royal Service is worth it if you value eating in two restaurants not available to non-RS, a butler t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Paradisus Palma Real. As a service oriented company our goal is not only to achieve but also to exceed our guests’ expectation.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our Royal Service facilities, as well as the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by our staff. Thank you for your compliments to Leonardo Mota; he is a big asset of Paradisus Palma Real.

I truly regret that we could not fulfill your expectations regarding the night entertainment activities. I must point out that we count with a diverse variety of day and night entertainment, and that in general our guests perceive them as excellent.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments.

Our team will be more than glad to welcome you back in this Paradise.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The first day we got there we were informed that we did not have a room and that they had technical problems. They sent us to their sister property and guaranteed the same type of room. Well, not even close we went from a 2 bedroom suite to 2 separate rooms that were very dirty. We left the paradisus punta cana at 7 am (couldn't wait to leave). I understand that there can be problems but the front desk should be more honest with their guests. at first it was a flood, then electrical 10 different excuses. I had enough and asked for a manager (Adrianna) who finally told us the truth. They were over booked She then decided to upgrade us to the VIP level. From this point on the vacation was everything we hoped for. The place is spotless and there is always someone around cleaning. The beach is breathtaking and so are the pools we spent most are time at the beach service was not really an issue we would walk to the closest bar and get our own drinks. But when Jose met us he held our chairs every morning and got our drinks for us. Tip nicely and it really helps. The food was great. We loved aqua and miso the best. Food at mole was just ok. Buffet was very good and fresh food in fact they would dump the food if it sat out for more then 15 minutes service on the whole was fantastic the spa is amazing at the reserve. The Japanese gardens for the water treatment prior to our massage was incredible. The VIP lounge was a bit disappointing I didn't speak Spanish so they were not helpful at all. I was trying to print my airline tickets for about an hour and this one American girl who spoke perfect Spanish they helped her out right away. She came up to me and said use this computer it's the only one that works with the printer. It was 2 guys working at the time around 3pm on the 28th of March 2014 not helpful at all and quite rude. People that stood out and were beyond helpful was a young guy named Gadnir, franklyn up front by check in and Jose at the beach. Overall I would highly recommend this resort. It was a family vacation 3 kids ages 16-22 and they loved it I recommend that they are honest with their guest b/c people appreciate the truth

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank tazconni
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was our fourth time at the resort. It speaks for itself from our point of view. We only return to a place when we love the experience.
The staff at this resort are amazing + we have got to know them all well.
This trip was for us to celebrate our "48 Wedding Anniversary"
Great job guys + girls.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Ken H,

I would like to thank you for being an assiduous guest of Paradisus Palma Real and for having the confidence in selecting us to celebrate such a special and memorable occasion, your 48th wedding anniversary.

It is an honor for me to know that you and your wife loved the experience at our hotel, as well as the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by our staff.

For me and my team it will always be a pleasure to welcome you and your wife back in this Paradise.