“Chewed up by bed bugs”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Chewed up by bed bugs”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Great resort but beware of what may be crawling in your room. The bites happened when we were asleep and accumulated throughout the trip. We were told by the staff that the bites were caused by a very small flying insect that was hard to see. I would have researched it then but the internet at the resort was off line our entire stay. When we got home we research our experience and realized our bites were caused by bed bugs. We are praying none made the trip home with us. We stayed in building 38...

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vance H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Springfield, New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Ramon Fuego very nice guy he did every thing possible to make me feel like at home great guy liked him a lot so was Gustabo and Gloria at the pool bar. Well just with service like that and great characters i will return to this resort because is not just the resort what makes the place it is the people and the service of feeling satisfied

Room Tip: only thing i found it to be poor room where we stay was very nice in terms of deco and clean but the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Joseph C,

Warm greetings from Punta Cana!

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the outstanding service you have received from our staff, especially from Ramon Fuego, Gustabo and Gloria. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can accomplish our goal, the total guests’ satisfaction.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments.

We await you soon at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Shrewsbury, New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the Paradisus Palma Real. We stayed at the Royal Service area of the resort which was absolutely amazing. We had a private transfer from the hotel (arranged by our travel agent) which I would highly recommend. We arrived at the resort in under 20 minutes. From the minute we checked in, the staff of the Royal Service couldn't do enough for us. At check in we were offered a cold beverage in the private lobby of the Royal Service. We were introduced to our butler, who would be our "go-to" for our time there. Eduard Mendez was TOP NOTCH. Friendly, funny, accommodating for all of our needs. We were given a cell phone to contact him at any point during our visit, which he promptly answered. He helped us get sunscreen!! He made all of our reservations, even changing them at our request. He paid attention to our needs and wants. We were there to celebrate our 15 year anniversary a little early, we mentioned this in passing. He had a cake delivered to our room one night with a bottle of wine. Another night, he drew a bath in our room, complete with candles and rose petals that spelled out "LOVE". Francisco Gil at the Royal Service beach was AMAZING. He would set up our spot every morning, a beach bed close to the water, tables, towels. He also anticipated our every need, bringing us waters, (and many cocktails) with so much of a nod of our head. Juan Carlos at the Juice Bar on the beach at the Royal Service, another exceptional staff member. We were never without fresh squeezed pineapple juice or a beautiful plate of papaya, pineapple, watermelon and passion fruit. The staff truly looks out for their guests. We enjoyed our dinners at Gabi Beach (get the grilled lobster) and Palazzo (the risottos were amazing, and we are picky Italians). Breakfast and lunch at Naos were UNBELIEVABLE. The selection is plentiful, whether you want fresh fish, Dominican food, whatever! It is all there. We were a little disappointed with our dinner at Passions, the restaurant on the property that you have to pay for. The service was exceptional, but the cuisine was just fair. But don't let that sway you!! All in all, a beautiful resort, a beautiful country, staff that was on pointe with all of our needs. Well done, Paradisus Palma Real. We will be back, maybe bring our 4 kids with us!!

Room Tip: The Royal Service rooms are the only rooms that face the ocean. Worth the extra money to stay here!!
2 Thank JessBo58
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having the confidence in selecting us to celebrate such a special occasion, your 15th wedding anniversary.

I am glad to know that you and your husband have enjoyed our Royal Service Section of the hotel.

I appreciate your compliments to the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by our staff, especially from Eduard Mendez, Francisco Gil and Juan Carlos. I will gladly pass on your comments to them.

I regret that the food at our author cuisine Passion restaurant did not exceed your expectations. However, I would like to point that in general our guests perceive this restaurant as excellent.

Our team will be more than glad to welcome you and your children at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you have read my review of the Palladium Royal Suites Turquesas and pity us our experiences with Travel Club, you will certainly envy us our week at Paradisus Palma Real. We booked our 2nd week in Punta Cana through RCI and arrived to a greeting at the checkin desk and an offer of cold drinks. Our luggage was handled immediately and we were assigned a personal concierge named Brunswick Bruny, for the entire week. While the desk arranged for our room exactly as booked and our information package, Brunswick took us on a personal guided tour of the entire resort.

He explained all the services available to us as we walked from pools to restaurants, to theatres, bars and stores. He showed us the theatre and show notice
boards.He told us about the types of food available in each restaurant, and dress required for each. We told him about my wifes ' CELIAC ALLERGY and he arranged on the spot to get us an Allergy Card and explained the system used with it. Once we had covered all the restaurants we sat down with him and we had him book our dinners for the entire week. He said he would take care of the reservations and CELIAC notifications and give us the reservations early next morning. He was as good as his word. By the end of the week the restaurants already knew how to deal with my wife, Celiac -wise, immediately when they saw our names on the reservation slip. There was obvious excellent communication among the resort staff. My wife never had any problems with her diet at the Paradisus, whereas she was sick twice at the Palladium Turquesas because restaurant staff and cooks really had no understanding of a Celiac Allergy and a GLUTEN-FREE diet.

On our last day a Resort Manager at the Paradisus even showed up at our dinner restaurant to enquire how our experiences had been at all the food facilities, regarding my wife's gluten-free diet. They obviously really did care about their guests and that their resort was meeting all expectations . That is quality control that is immediate, personal and effective. We told her that there were had been no problems and the service had been excellent from the concierge bookings , to the wait staff, to the restaurant managers and cooks.

Brunswick showed us all around the grounds and told us about the restricted areas available for "members" only, as well as casually mentioning the Melia Resorts organization and resort chains associated with it.. This was the quality service I had paid thousands of dollars for as a member at Palladium and had not received, and I was not even a member with Melia.

After a leisurely tour and pleasant conversation with Brunswick, we returned to the desk where we received our welcome package and room assignment. Passing our luggage tags to the Bell Captain we were wisked to our room where we immediately unpacked secure in the knowledge that the staff here cared really about their guests and were not just looking to get a tip. The room was not large but more than adequate with a double jetted tub and partial kitchen, king sized bed and quite large balcony. Air conditioning really works in the hotel rooms. This is often an asset as the temperature can be brutally hot and days humid.

Exactly on time, next morning, we met Brunswick who had all the information we had requested and informed us where we could locate him in the resort at any time, should we need his services again for any inquires or problems. We found every one of the staff from maids, to waiters, and restaurant managers to be extremely friendly and eager to offer information on any number of topics, resort services and facilities. They even warned me to remember to use sunscreen, several times as I got redder. They simply could not do enough for you.

Daily activities and classes were listed on a board in the lobby and included everything from sport activities to wine pairing presentations, to cocktail making and candle dipping. Everything and everyone at the Paradisus is focused upon the guests' needs and expectations and ensuring that if there are any problems, that they are solved immediately to the guests' satisfaction. What a difference from the Turquesas. The Paradisus truly is a luxury resort whether you are a member in the most expensive room, or a lowly RCI client in basic accommodations who just added the All-inclusive cost to his reservation, like myself.

The beach is clean except for grasses brought in by the waves but even that is groomed into the sand every night. The water is wonderfully warm and the bottom is flat packed sand. Delicious. There is an assigned kids ' pool and a very large guest pool with swim up bar. Shopping is on the very high cost end and so is the Paradisus Shopping Mall to which there is free transportation from the lobby. That was to be expected.

The shows in the theatre nightly are extremely professional and entertaining and the Casino on site opens late for the gamblers among us. There is often musical entertainment in the open-air concourse below the lobby around dinner time and later whether it be American country, folk music or jazz. Any special private events are discretely segregated and cleaned up immediately once they conclude, whether it be a wedding or family reunion off the concourse or on the beach.

The Paradisus Palma Real is an excellent facility top to bottom and the staff is enthusiastic and sincere in their desire to ensure you have a great vacation experience. I am sure the Reserve and other attached hotels on the grounds are the same. Excellent training shows at all levels and in all jobs and you can only benefit by being carried along with it to Paradisus.

Room Tip: The basic rooms are good but you may want to pay for excellent. Entertainment noises from the adjace...
2 Thank blsegal
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some of your precious time to post such a wonderful review about your recent stay in our property. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guest expectations. It is an honor for me to know that we were able to exceed yours.

I feel proud enough to know that you and your wife have received an outstanding and personalized service. I am also glad to know that you have appreciated that your wife was able to enjoy a gluten free diet in our restaurants.

I am pleased to learn that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by our staff, especially by Brunswick Bruny. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can accomplish our goal, the total guests’ satisfaction.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments. Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceeded.

I am looking forward to host your next stay at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Minneapolis, Mn
Reviewed March 11, 2014

just arrived home last ight after a GREAT VACATION at the Paradisus Palma Real Resort in Punta Cana,Dominican Republic. When planning our trip to Punta Cana we researched the hotels for months. I am so glad we finally choose the Palma Real for our vacation. We all loved the resort!! It is by far one of the most beautiful I have seen. We had a blast with the entertainment each evening. Francisco Reynoso is great, he taught us salsa dancing and, in my opinion, was a fun entertainer in whatever area he was working. We went to the casino and had such fun, mainly because we enjoyed the bartender, Jimmy Garcia. Every evening we stopped into the Avenue Bar
for drinks ( the bartenders there are entertaining) and to meet other guests. The service here is very good, they are always trying to make their guests happy. The negatives are.....the food, not good....and the musty, moldy smells in some of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second or third floor and preferably near to the lobby area.
Dear Barbara,

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our service and activities. Thank you for your compliments to the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by Francisco Reynoso and Jimmy Garcia; they are big assets of Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

I regret that our food did not meet your expectations; it is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal. I also regret your comments about your room. I assure you, that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have been to Punta Cana 6 times to 6 different resorts. This was by far the best overall experience we have had. Unlike most resorts that are long and narrow with long walks to get to the beach, Paradisus is spread out horizontally so very easy access to the beach. The food was fantastic with lots of healthy options. The rooms were gorgeous. We had an open concept room with sitting area, bedroom, and bathroom all well lit and open to the beautiful garden views. The entertainment was exceptional. Paradisus brought in special entertainers who were professionals and talented in their areas ie circus performers, jazz bands, professional dancers, impersonators etc... not resort staff putting on silly shows. The animators were wonderful and encouraging without hounding you on days you just want to relax. A special shout out to Macdonna, Francisco, Angel, and Wilfred. They work long hard hours and really made a difference in making our vacation memorable. The fitness facilities are outstanding with qualified staff. The specialty drinks were made with fresh fruit and quality alcohol. The staff are all very helpful, spoke English, and try very hard to make you happy. My husband and I went with our two daughters 18 and 21. We thought it would be the last trip to the Dominican since we have been so many times but after our experience at Paradisus we will return. One more important point, WE NEVER HAD TROUBLE FINDING A LOUNGE CHAIR ON THE BEACH OR AT THE POOL NO MATTER WHAT TIME WE WENT DOWN TO THE BEACH. Not necessary ever to save a chair!!! What a treat. Beautiful wide beach where vendors do not bother you while you are relaxing in your chair.

Room Tip: Get a room without a separate bedroom. These rooms are darker. Open concept best. Royal service is n...
3 Thank Richard G
Dear Richard G,

Thank you for selecting Paradisus Palma Real Resort for the sixth time you travel to Punta Cana. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guest expectations. .

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our service, activities and facilities. Thank you for your compliments to Macdonna, Francisco, Angel, and Wilfred. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can accomplish our goal, the total guests’ satisfaction.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments. Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceeded and that you will return in the near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We all enjoyed the hotel. The employees are as very accommodating and helpful. their friendliness is above comparison with similar resorts. The rooms were great and spacious and well maintained on a daily basis. The weather was outstanding and the beaches amazing. we enjoyed sitting at the swim-up bar with our favorite bartenders - Luis, Gloria and Ramon (fuega man). We also enjoyed the service by Gregrorio Quillen at the NAOS Dining.

Dear Chris C,

Thank you for selecting Paradisus Palma Real Resort to celebrate your family vacation. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guest expectations.

I am glad to know that you and your family have enjoyed our service and facilities. Thank you for your compliments to the great service you have received from Luis, Gloria, Ramon Fuego and Gregrorio Guillen. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can accomplish our goal, the total guests’ satisfaction.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments. I am looking forward to host your next family vacation in this paradise.