“Beautiful Setting”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pros- Super Billy Levons was awesome as a beach attendant. He had us set up every day and checked with us frequently to see how we were doing. The beach and complex are beautiful. Rooms are large (see cons below) Entertainment was okay. Transportation to and from the airport is easy.

Cons- We paid extra for the Royal Service which is worth it due to the "private beach and pool" and the beach attendant. Our Butler, Sandy Gil, was only moderately helpful. We assumed that the butler would be the key to Royal Service. He was condescending to my wife from the beginning sarcastically saying "comprende" to her during our iniitial meeting. Unknown to him she is Spanish speaking and did not appreciate this. He did help us some but not enough to justify paying extra. We could have done what he did for us ourselves.

Restaurant reservations are a joke. You cannot get decent times even with Royal Service. Often we would show up and not be on their list and the restaurant was 25-50% full and we would not be seated without a hassle. There is some controversy as to whether you can make reservations before arriving.

2 of our 3 rooms initially were on the ground floor next to a service entrance and the noise was very loud beginning each morning between 6 and 7. After two nights we requested to be moved and we were given rooms on the third floor which were much quieter.

Bathrooms are odd for a luxury resort. There is no privacy as the bathroom is separated from the room with shutters ( no wall). There was opaque glass doors for the toilet and shower but no privacy or sound barrier is present.

Food was average. Buffets were just that, buffets. We at breakfast and lunch at Naos. Dinner portions were very small for the most part.

I would be cautious about any review giving 5 stars as I do not believe this is a five star operation. With that in mind, we did have a great time with our 3 adult sons. Trips like this are what you make out of them and quality time with family is very important.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed December 30, 2013

At our stay in the Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana, we met some outstanding crew members which made our vacations incredibly pleasant. We would like to name them:
-Jimmy Garcìa: The Barman at the Palazzo Restaurant.
- MIguel Jimenez: Waiter at the Palazzo Restaurant.
- Yudelka Palazzo: Waitress at the Palazzo restaurant.
- Ramón Cordero: Beach waiter/ beach chair preparator.

There were many other wonderful peaople whose last names we do not recall at the moment.
We would like to thank them all for an amazing stay.

We would

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and relaxing. The staff was absolutely stellar! Friendliness was a top priority. The pool and beach were super clean and in good repair. The only downside was the food. Stick to the buffet and you'll be completely happy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful experience. The climate is ideal ranging between the low 70s at night to the low 80s during the afternoon. The ocean temperature was very comfortable for those of us that are used to swimming during the Georgia summers. The white sandy beaches and ocean are spectacular, blending every shade of blue imaginable. Watch a sunrise on the beach if you're able to wake early enough after many a rum-filled evening...you'll be glad you did. The food is excellent and tastefully prepared and displayed. But most of all, the staff is warm, efficient and very helpful. Knowing very little Spanish, we were concerned that we might have some difficulty. But the staff was very helpful. They always met us with a cheerful greeting. We opted for the Royal Service, all inclusive plan, and were truly treated royally. The Royal service includes a butler. Joelvis. our butler, ensured every detail of our stay was perfect...from making our dinner reservations, arranging spa treatments, and preparing special treats to surprise us in our room after a long hard day of activity in paradise. The separated pool area was very relaxing and the special treatment we received by Martin, Roberto, and Pedro was the greatest...making us spots in the sun in shade whenever we liked. Don't miss Leonardo's "special" at the pool bar! He was the highlight of our trip always making us feel like part of the group and always making us feel "special" ourselves.
Our room, a Deluxe garden view junior suite was plenty spacious for the two of us, meeting all of our nighttime needs with a jacuzzi bathtub, large shower and comfortable sitting area. The furnishings were very nice,,,marble floors and a very comfortable bed. The room was no more than a two minute walk from the main complex but far enough away from the noise of the many lounges, restaurants and shows to be peacefully quiet. Out our door and around the pool was the beach.
If you're a golfer, there are some premium golf experiences within an hour and a half drive of the resort and well worth the trip (Casa de Campo and Punta Espada - 30 mins.-to name a couple) that have breathtaking views of the ocean on the numerous seaside holes. For a nice day excursion on a catamaran a trip to Saona island is a nice diversion...but the accommodations and beach at Paradisus Palma Real are hard to leave. Truly Paradise.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Had to use up my vacation time and this was the perfect place to enjoy the holiday. The property had so many excellent features from 24 hour buffet to daily activities such as workouts and body messages on the beach to live entertainment nightly either at the theatre or the bar, plus a casino. The highly motivated staff such as Anyeli, Angel, etc. were around day and night to talk and dance, etc. Have been around the world and must say this property is so impressive. Even attempt to assist you in English. Really like when you are surrounded by such friendly surroundings and beautiful accommodations as well as the plush beachfront and pool area. Can't say enough about our stay there.

Room Tip: Plan your choice way in advance
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard P
NEW YORK
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying please read all my other reviews and contributions. I have traveled extensively but do not always bother with a review. This is as fair an assessment as you will find about the hotel. Architecturaly it is beautiful, very well done. Central courtyard and all the common areas are beautiful. Too bad the rooms are not. They are very dated and in poor condition, hallways are dark and elevators are missing buttons with wires exposed. Mosquitos ran rampant in the rooms. I'm Dominican and know that a few bugs are expected but never did I expect to kill a dozen or so Mosquitos a night in our rooms. There is so much to say, lets start from the beginning. I booked last minute and did not research enough, I actually wanted the reserve not the palma real as I was traveling with the entire family which includes 3 kids under 3. Arrived around 4 pm not one person in front of me in the check in desk yet, I had to go searching for someone to assist me. The first person couldn't speak English nor Spanish and was new so another person came to assist me and try to get me a room upgrade to the Reserve, which was sold out. They sold me the bracelets to use the reserve services and upgraded to a 2 bedroom master suite. This is a 1 bedroom with a full living room, dining room, kitchen connected to a 1 bedroom with a living room and kitchenette. We were the last room before the beach which was convenient. However one of the bedrooms had a window which was covered by the headboard of the bed (extremely odd) and had a small old tube tv. While I'm checking in with the name your price upgrade game, not a single person came over to my family and offered them a drink, not a bottle of water, no cold drink, nothing. And I observed this many a time while I was in the lobby. It is just not done. Once I went to the front desk to ask for my little girls bracelet to be tightened and two girls behind the desk were chatting, I walked up, said hello, was ignored and they continued their conversation about another colleague. I waited for 2 minutes before walking away and noticed a man approach them and reprimand them. They ignored him and continued their conversation. That is the state of their front desk.

FOOD, The restaurants are good for the most part. Food is good for DRs AI but I did have one burger which was simply inedible. Good is not great. We ate at Bana-surprisingly good, Gabi Beach-better, Market-ok, Mole-meh, Vento-great. The buffet was underwhelming at Naos and the Reserve, Gabi Club, it was a little room. Is a buffet, I expected a full on buffet with variety. They did have lobster tails once and a paella for lunch the next day. The lunches at hydro were a hot mess. No one could ever explain what could be ordered to eat at the pool or in the restaurant. But I noticed the hotel suffers from this disease, it is call INCONSISTANCY. It takes an average of 5 workers to answer your question and they answer is NO.

Speaking of what can be eaten at the pool or beach, there is no food at the pool or beach. You must go to the restaurants which are located nearby but give up your dream of eating while on a lounge chair unless you want a to-go sandwich. Also wait service at the beach and pools at both the PR and Reserve is non existent. I waited 3 hours one day before I actually saw a waiter at the beach. I did notice at the pool, the server only does the perimeter right next to the pool, nothing outside that area. I ended up going to the bar the entire week. Of course once I was there, the waiters were all volunteering to bring me drinks, but I'm already up. Since we are at the beach, you practically had to hint that you wanted your palapa made up or some chairs moved and forget about any towels after 2pm. Not one clean one. Happened 4 days in a row at the Reserve, the beach, the Reserve beach, the PR main pool. The beach itself was pretty, very wide but in my opinion, not the best in Punta Cana. Again, in my opinion there are better beaches in Punta Cana. The one thing that is good is that we never, ever had to search far for a palapa or spot at any of the beach or pool areas. There was enough availability at all times.

Room service, should be called something besides service. Every night I would call for a quart of fat free milk. Every night I would have to talk to 5 people to get it. Not sure why since I speak Spanish and use "Dominican Colloquialism". And there's no apple juice unless you go to the Reserve and then is only by the glass.

The drinks. No top shelf liquor except at selected bars. Repeat, no top shelf liquor. Only 3 beers and one of them only at the selected bars. Charge me for Hendricks at Gabi Beach, but available for free at Avenue bar. Ran out of liquor at some bars by mid afternoon. I'm not looking to get drunk but please if I'm having a drink I want it to be good. Vodka is not a main ingredient of all mixed drinks. Peach Bellini, vodka???, Bay Breeze, Vodka???, Pina Colada, vodka? half the time I was wondering whom they were making drinks for since I was the only person at the bar. Had to instruct them how I wanted my drinks, you know without the cheap vodka. At the end just started ordering drinks that did include vodka as a component. Also gato negro should not be your house wine. That is what you get when the liquor store is closed and you really need a drink and buy at the supermarket. Same with your champagne,the lowest possible brand out there. Granted they do have an extensive wine list and I ordered a few bottles which were very good.

SPA, had treatments at both the Reserve and the oriental garden and both were good. Very pleasant but nothing over the top. I've seen spas and this was just average. The price list of spa treatments is guarded like the crowned jewels. You have to go to the front concierge desk which then shows you the prices, on days they have the list. Other days they don't have the list, which means you have to take a trip to the spa to see their prices. Also during the check in process there was usually one person checking everyone in for their appointments. 1 person for a line of 8-10 people. Sometimes the wait was over 25 minutes.

SERVICE. Which really is the lack of service. Everyones smiles but no one comes up to you until you approach them and then comes "let me find out if we can do that". You ask the question and no one can give you an answer. I felt like the entire staff was new but they all worked there for years. The lack of service was astonishing. And I tip well and often and usually upfront. Some workers who were average were tipped and then became very good and some just took their tip and ran along.

Class system. You get treated differently depending on your bracelet color. Really was turned off by this. There are so many services but you can only use some based on your bracelet. While saying this also noted no one checked some premium services and anyone could utilized them.

Kids club-kudos to the kids club, very well done. My twins loved going specially on days that rained. My baby slept while the baby monitor was on him allowing me to remain with the twins in the kids club cafe or toddler room. The girls who worked there were amazing with kids. Great idea to bring out balls to dump on the kids pool.

It is not all bad, again the PR hotel is beautiful but it lacks service. Some staff members were great but not enough of them which is a shame. The good ones deserve some mentioning, AC, our concierge, Alvaro Castillo, made all of our dinner reservations at our selected time (the lines for reserving the restaurants were 40 people deep on 3 days that I walked by the lobby at 3:30pm) He was excellent. In passing I mentioned that we did not have Internet service in our room and both my husband and I needed to work and a wi-fi swat team was in our room within an hour. Problem fixed. Same thing when I mentioned I needed a sitter to stay with kids while the grow ups went to a concert to benefit UNICEF. He set up one the ladies in the concierge desk who had experience with kids to get to know us so we could use her. Suhelie, spelling, my kids have never been with an outside babysitter and were very comfortable with her. Kimberly, manager in the restaurants, thank you for taking care of my picky mom and the kids. All the staff of Vento, specially the manager, whom I think is Mexican. Octavio from hydro grill, Wendy and Ana from the spa.

Overall will I return, perhaps, if the price is right. But to be honest I had better service at Rius or Dreams hotels in DR for much less money. So overall not worth it unless you get an amazing deal. Amazing meaning a dreams, riu or majestic chain at the same price and you want to experience paradisus. Such a shame because we absolutely loved the paradisus Esmeralda in Mexico.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ndelapaz
New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to LOVE this place... And for the price, I should have. It is good, but not great. I upgraded to the Royal Service package. Let me start by saying, you MUST do this option if you don't have kids (it is adults only)... The butler service is very helpful and the extra restaurant option comes in handy (more on that later)...
Here is what is really good:
- Sandy Gil, our butler, was the BEST. Five stars for Sandy. You must request him. He doesn't miss a beat to go out of his way to make your stay memorable. Whether arranging for a cab or activity or dinner reservation, he has it covered. This guy taught himself almost flawless English at the age of 24 (and also built his family house with his own hands)... Very impressive.
- the property is gorgeous. The bali beds are HEAVEN and the attendants at the beach are phenomenal. The views are surreal. Leo is an excellent bartender always with a smile and great attitude.
- spa was good

The Bad:
- the food is really not good (passion not included here as you pay extra for that....ate there twice and it is phenomenal)... And thankfully the Palazzo was decent enough (and only included with royal service) and makes it tolerable. Some of the other "restaurants" are really not good. For the price, it actually is pretty bad. Cafeteria style.
- management is pretty unorganized. We extended our vacation, they quoted us a rate and then after we change our flights they come back with a higher price saying they made a mistake quoting blah blah (that is MY fault?!?!) and split the difference with me.
- the room had some small ants/bugs in them. Housekeeping would get rid of them daily, but still
- rooms are fairly noisy - you can here the slightest thing above or
Beside you.
- room service is not prompt and the language barrier with some of the staff is pretty annoying

Again, keep in mind, if this place wasn't as expensive as it is, I wouldn't mind as much, but they price it like a 5 star resort and deliver 3 star results on some of the most important pieces.

The casino and night time vibe is actually pretty fun.

Because of the above, not sure I would come back. It was a great vacation overall, relaxing thanks to the Royal Service private areas. Hope this helps.

Stayed December 2013