“Beautiful Resort - Customer services could be much much better”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Bergen, New Jersey, United States
“Beautiful Resort - Customer services could be much much better”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Beautiful Resort all around, Customer services could be much much better. I went to the main bar by the front door and asked the bartender for a glass of soda. Normally I would have expected to receive my order fairly quickly however the bartender proceeded to fill my cup halfway and instead of filling my cup all the way, which would have taken another two seconds or so, he stopped and started to take orders from other customers. I stood there waited more than I should for the other half of my soda and when he finally found the time to serve me again he used the remaining soda from bottles that had already been opened and were just lying there on the side.

The Royal service rooms and pool are amazing. Will Stay at the same hotel once I see better reviews about the customer service all around!

1 Thank Willy A
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Willy A,

Thank you for having taken the time to write your comments after having stayed with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore, we will be attentive to the behavior of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us away from the goal.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,131)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami
Reviewed July 18, 2013

First time to Punta Cana and to this resort. It was an excellent experience when it comes to the hotel premises and its service. Hotel was really nice and well taken care of. I had a chance to see other hotels in the area and the extra money was worth it.

Food was excellent, even the buffet. I am also very pleased with the food at the restaurants and the service provided.

Special thanks to a few people that made our stay a lot more enjoyable and memorable. Yeffri Encarnasion and Romnei Gomez ( Bartenders ) at the H2O Bar ,The Reserve. Also to Sugelis ( Su ) Concierge at the Palma Real.

My only complain is with one of the front desk employees who unfortunately was the first person who we came across with when we got to the hotel. His name is Juan and he is a tall guy with braces. He was not helpful at all, and was not able to explain in details what our package included ( All Inclusive ). Instead he was trying to sell us the Royal Package.

I had to ask him a few times to tell me exactly what our package included, which he never did. He was only interested in making us pay for the extra Royal Service. It felt like he was having a little bit of an attitude as well. We had to wait like an hour for our room to be ready, by the time we went back to the front desk, he was there but he did not offer to help, instead he went away and dissapeared. After a few minutes he came back but we had already been helped by somebody else. I think he should have asked us if we needed help since he had been the person who originally helped us and who told us to come back later.

Honestly, I do not think it is necessary that extra Royal Service, other than being able to go to a Spanish Restaurant, Passion. People at the front desk are the first impression of the hotel with the guests. Thus, it has to be someone nice, friendly and helpful.

This Juan was none of the above. He should be removed from the front desk and if not completely removed from the hotel, at least placed in a position where he does not have any contact with the guests at all.

I asked if lobster was included in the menu and he said no, there is no lobster in the whole hotel, he replied, I laughed and said, how is that possible, this place is sorrounded by water, this is an island..there has to be lobster somewhere. Eventually we visited Gabi Beach and we were able to find the famous lobster.

But yes, I would definitely come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Take lots of one dollar bills to tip everybody.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend your recent holidays as well as for taking the time to share your experience.

I am very concerned to hear about de situations described. Please, allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the impressions you may have received. This is not in anyway the image we would like to project.

Exceeding expectations and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. In Melia Hotels International we are aware that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. You may rest assured that corrective actions have been taken as to avoid situations that lead us away from the goal.

I hope that this situation does not deter you from coming back in the future. We will be attentive to your next visit to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay as possible

Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I can't imagine a better place to stay in Punta Cana, and since this is not my first visit, i could tell the hotel was magnificent. The rooms were very pleasant, the jaccussi was another experience in the room services, and the hotel was short trips to walk and everything was at hand.
The resort look brand new and the views were amazing. Our room was prepared even twice a day and my son always came looking for the chocolates, it was part of the fun for him.
Still i was expecting more helpful workers. In others visits and different hotels not so luxurious, we had received better services. There were no one at the Naos entrance to accommodate you. We were a large group and no one help us get sit several times, we had to call for help in order to be seated. Even once at the market grill we had to clean the table for ourselves. Don't understand in such high level hotel, this kind of problems. It seems like they were short of personnel but you see employees everywhere that passes by without looking at you at all. At the pool bar was also difficult to get drinks, don't understand if there's no many guest around the pool all the time, why no one approach to ask you what you want. Also the glasses were there empty for hours before someone come to take them but without giving you a look. I was expecting more royal services like that one, or more places to get a drink.
The internet was also a problem since we were calling Miami everyday for family issues, we had to spend the day looking for the best spot to make a call. The WiFi was free and well appreciate it but difficult to get it.
The restaurants reservations were another problem, the first day we get there it was impossible to get a reservation, we came again the second day to the front desk and there were no spots for us for the next two days. We did get something for the other 3 days, and started to call every single day at 3pm as we were told to see if there was a cancellation. We managed to eat in restaurants almost every night but taking care of it every single day. No nice...
At the Japanese restaurant we arrived at 9pm as our reservation was scheduled and spend in the lobby 1 and a half hour waiting to be seated. We were with kids and almost getting frustrated, they said people arrived late for the reservations and delayed the scheduled but that was way to much.

i do recommend the hotel to every one but we aware that for the price you pay you will expected more.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the room accommodations, everything in this hotel is at hand, you will not wal...
1 Thank natyca22
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. I assure you that all your observations have been taken with the utmost importance; therefore your comments on improvements areas have been shared with our Manging Team and it will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to inform us of your feedback. It is only by receiving this kind of constructive criticism that we are able to see exactly where improvements should be done in our hotels, and consequently, enable to us to take the necessary steps to ensure that our company continues to maintain its position.

New York, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent four nights at this property in the Royal Service section. Overall we had an enjoyable time.

Royal Service: Our butler Carmen was not attentive and rarely seen. We are super easy and just wanted things such as extra towels in our room and additional diet coke, but things were not taken care of. We had to wait 30 minutes for the bellman to get our bags the last day. One bright spot of the Royal Service was Nick Maracallo, he was fantastic and wasn't even our butler. Request him if you are able to! The other superstar at the property was Billy Levons at the pool. The pool area was by far the highlight of the Royal Service. It was quiet and beautiful, with direct access to the beach. Billy was amazing. He had pool beds reserved for us each day, remembered our drink order and took care of whatever we needed--hence our nickname for him "Super Billy." We did enjoy both restaurants that were part of the Royal Service- Palazzo and Gabi Beach, more on the food below.

Property: The property is very pretty and well maintained. We enjoyed the different bars throughout it. The lobby bar has some yummy infusions, so that was fun to check out. In general, drinks are watered down, but you can always ask for a double and they will make it happen! In terms of entertainment we went to the fire show and Michael Jackson performance, both were fun.

Food: When it comes to the food, there are plenty of options. The food was average. There were some very good places, but also some that were just ok. For breakfast and lunch if you are in royal take advantage of Palazzo, they have a la carte but also a buffet during both meals so there are plenty of options. For dinner we tried four restaurants Vento, Bana, Gabi Beach and Palazzo (liked them in that order). Room service was fast, but not of the best quality, but good for a snack. We tried Naos for lunch one day and it was decent an international buffet, but for the most part we went to Market Grill pretty straight forward snack foods.

Room: The guest room has areas for improvement, it's a little old and the bathroom set-up is a bit awkward. The "mini-bar" was only three bottles and limited mixers. We asked for things to be swapped in our fridge, it never happened. There was construction above us that woke us up every morning, didn’t love that. The last night in our room there was a huge roach...wasn't exactly how we'd like to end things, but I guess it happens.

Room Tip: We were in the Royal Service room 1092. There was construction that took place above us each mornin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is a real pleasure to receive the comments about your recent stay in our Royal Service.

Thank you for highlighting the excellent service provided by Nicolas Maracallo and Billy Levons during your stay. We are aware that the kindness and attentiveness of our staff is one of our most important assets.

Please rest assured that I took a good note of your remarks and some adjustments will be placed in motion in order to fine-tune with our operation.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Chesterland, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The resort is beautiful and looks like a tropical paradise.. The personnel are helpful and friendly. We took the Royal Service and had Manuel Silvestro as our butler. He did an outstanding job and every need was met from reservations to extra pillows. Manuel put us in touch with Billy Levons, who made sure that our beach and pool experience was superb. Billy always had sunbeds ready for us at the pool and on the beach, plenty of towels and drinks. We enjoyed all of the restaurants but I would recommend the Palazzo that is for Royal Service customers. Richard Ortiz, as well as Oscar and Alexander provided a memorable dining experience for our family at every meal. They made sure that Nana, our 86 year old matriarch was always comfortable and we appreciated it.The resort as I stated is beautiful, clean and perfectly maintained, but most important to us was the excellent service that we received from these employees making this our best vacation so far.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bonita R,

Allow me to say thank you for your kind compliments about our services and especially towards some of our staff members such as Manuel Silvestre, Billy Levons from Royal Service as well as Richard Ortiz, Oscar and Alexander from Palazzo. One of my greatest satisfactions is to know that our staff went the extra mile to leave beautiful and unforgettable footprints in your heart.

Thank you again for having shared your experience and we hope to be your home in Punta Cana for next visit.

Whittier, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Special thanks to Bruny and Miguel for making this vacation stay so special. Both gentlemen went out of their way to make arrangements and to solve problems. The service that they provided made our family feel very much at home, at this excellent resort.
We traded through RCI. No issues with the reservation when we arrived. Only problem was that the room was not ready when we arrived. Luckily we had bar privileges, so the wait was not that bad. When we first arrived, we tried to make dinner reservations for the week. The reservation system was not working. We were able to make dinner reservations the next day.
Used the fitness center extensively. Well maintained and excellent equipment. Personnel were very friendly. Beach was clean. My only beach complaint is the there is a lot of seaweed on the beach that is never removed.
Overall the service was excellent. The rooms were spacious, I had an executive suite which was essentially a bedroom unit with partial kitchen. Not happy with the services provided by the front desk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Bernie r,

Glad to hear that it has been an awesome vacation.

At the Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for having shared your experience. I assure you that I took a good note of your remarks related with the front desk.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back at this your home in paradise.

Draper, Utah
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Paradisus is an enormous resort with every amenity imaginable. Magnificantly landscaped, perfectly manicured and impecably clean. The personnel are friendly, outgoing and always looking to take care of your needs, and as an all-inclusive property never looking for a hand out! Many fine restaurants and bars, so you can eat and drink to your hearts content, numerous pools so you can have crowds and action or privacy, and a perfect private beach that is kept private for you. Plenty of water sports, entertainment and enough to do or as little to do as you may choose. We spent 10 absolutely fabulous days and wished we had more!!!! Oh an yes, a GREAT Spa.

Room Tip: Rooms of every type are available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Jack M,

I am proud to hear that it has been a memorable stay.

Thank you for having shared your experience and we hope to have you back for many years at this your home in paradise.