“El Presidente”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently took a weeklong vacation to the Paradisus (not Royal Service or Reserve).

First the Pros:

1) The staff was very friendly and helpful on the whole. Paulino from the poolside bar was the highlight of the trip. We met Paulino on day 1, and his service was amazing for the rest of our stay. He would always check in to see what we needed. Waters, drinks, chips, ice cream, and of course Presidente's (con Limon). He was always smiling and we never found him to be intrusive or looking for tips. We also thought the Roy from the lobby bar and Fabio (entertainment/dancing) were very nice. We did not find our "butler" to be helpful at all.

2) Pool Area/Beach: Nice clean pool, not crowded with comfortable seating, although you have to get up early to reserve the best chairs. Same story for the beach. Some seaweed, but not too bad.

Cons:

1) Poor drink selection: For a resort, one would think that they would have consistent cocktails, including mojitos, margaritas etc. Some were ok, some were horrible. At the Sky Bar a member of the group was served the worst tasting "margarita" of all time. Tasted like dish water. The wine was also terrible. Beer selection lacking, although many Presidentes were enjoyed. For mixed drinks see Roy or Annabella at the Lobby Bar, or make the trek to the Gabi Club at the Reserve.

2) "Reservations": Reservations are "required". However, most people make them for the week through their butler. We had reservations and in most of the cases, the restaurants were less than 1/3 full. This is because most people don't cancel their reservations. We also had to eat late in many cases after 830 or 9, which was not desirable.

As Expected:

1) The rooms are adequate, comfortable beds.

2) The Food: Buffet was good for breakfast, but was lacking at lunch. The Market was consistently terrible. Restaurants:

Bana: Has three different Asian sections: These include Chinese, Japanese (Tepinyaki), and Sushi. All were pretty good, with the sushi probably being the best.

Vento: Passable,but not great. Chicken was particularly awful

Mole: Decent Mexican food

Aqua: At the Reserve...the best meal that we had (twice).

Without the Royal Service, you cannot access Palazzo or Gabi Beach, unless you were willing to pay more money. We were not! Also, Passion is a restaurant from a Michelin Star chef, but was also extra money. No way we were paying for that.

Overall: 4 star rating due mostly to the pool/beach as well as the service. The food is what we had expected. The drinks and "reservation" system could all use an upgrade. Also- better tour of the grounds would be helpful. We did not realize that we could get drink at the Reserve until two days before we left. They have better liquor and Corona! If you end up at the Palma Real...make sure you get seats close to the poolside bar and ask for Paulino

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I would like to thank you for bring these matters to our attention.

Proud to hear about the excellent service provided by Paulino during your stay. I will gladly pass on your compliments.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and please rest assured that it have been shared with my managing team and it will be part of our daily work to ensure to have it corrected on a short term.

I look forward to have the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Beautiful hotel and had a ton of fun with the people we were with. We had the Royal Service too but was disappointed with the butler. He was rarely around when we needed him. We needed to make reservations for dinner and when I called the front desk I was told we had to arrange this through our butler however we could never find him! When we finally found him he made the reservation for the wrong resturant. You also need to reserve the larger covered lounge chairs on the beach and at the pool a day in advance.... again through your butler. I called the front besk because AGAIN our butler never answered his phone or was missing. I went down to the beach/pool area thinking the front desk placed my request..but they never had our reservations. The guy was nice though and found one for me. The bartender at the pool was super nice and made great drinks. The fruit smoothy stand on the beach was awesome. The guy who serves you the fresh fruit at the beach was great. Wish I remembered his name. My husband and I wanted to steal him for our butler.
The pool & hot tub don't bother going in VERY cold. Love the scented pillows!! Very comfortable beds, sheets & pillows. Make sure you request the scented pillows by 5:00 each night. We had an issue with our T.V. and it took us 3 phone calls to get someone up to our room.
Overall the hotel was nice very large and be prepared to walk. Sushi restaurant was our favorite. Great cabanas & drinks for an all-inclusive. Don't drink the water in your room. Be extra careful while showering not to get any in your mouth. Butler totally overated!!!! Our friends however had John Pierre (think that's his name) and he was great. Hooked us up since ours was MIA. So sweet always smiling.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Juli R
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear guest,

We deeply regret that your experience at our Royal Service was not up to what you expected and I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience you may have faced while on vacation. In Melia Hotels International we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly. You can rest assured that your observations were taken with the utmost consideration.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and I hope to have the pleasure to serve you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort, in order to show you that this experience does not represent in any way our Resort, Paradisus Palma Real.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Really nice upscale all-inclusive with a great beach. Food was above average for an all-inclusive. The hotel service was poor however, reducing a five star rating to and average rating. The hotel overbooked its rooms the day I arrived. They told me I've been upgraded to a room at their upscale resort The Reserve. They then proceeded to tell me the upgrade was not free, but at a price that was $100/nt higher. It took me over an hour of discussion with three managers before I finally received my room at the originally booked price. Also, all-inclusive is not all-inclusive here. The staff created many awkward moments when it was clear they were looking for tips.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Cliffster1162

Dear guest,

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfil all our guests needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts. If some of my staff did not meet your expectations on solving problems, I truly apologize and correcting actions already have been taken.

Exceeding the expectation of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this, it is necessary to provide good services and attitude

My apologies for any inconvenience you may have faced and you may rest assured that your observations have been addressed and discussed with my Managing Team in order to fine-tune with the operation.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed at Palma Real resort four nights in last week with my wife and daughter. I am still diarrhea as of now writing this review.

Let me talk about the good experience first. We arrived at the resort around 11:00 am, the room is not ready yet. The front desk arranged us to take a shower at the hostility room so we can changed our clothes, which is very good as we took a very early fly to Punta Cano. After we have a lunch, the room is ready. The resort lobby is beautiful, the pool, beach and sand are all met our expectation. Overall, I could not complain the services, every services man and woman are friendly and said hello everywhere and any time.

The negative experience: 1. The safe box in the hotel room not working. we called the front desk, they sent a maintainer guy to fix it. After the guy left, we putted stuff in the safe box and closed it. Not able to open the box as we followed the instruction step by step. We called again, the maintainer guy came and spent sometimes to open the box but unable to fix it. So, they brought another. The new one was not in working condition too. After waste at least 2 hours for the safe box issue, we finally gave up as we were about hour late to our first dinner reservation.
2. The Light in the showroom is not work too, we were forced to take a shower in a almost dark environment. 3. The showroom water flow out are so slow, we either have to take a quick show in less than 2 minutes or make a stop in the middle of show, and wait at least 15 minutes then turned on water again. 4. Very poor Wifi Internet connection, almost not existed.
After talked to the front desk on the next date, they did offer other two rooms for us to change. We didn't make the change because the road construction work were in front of these two rooms and created huge noise. My daughter has to take nap every noon time, and it was too tired to pack everything and move to another room which is no better then current one. 5. This is the main reason I list this experience as two star. I became diarrhea on the fourth day of my stay. I don't know why, should be food-fish at the buffet restaurant, but my wife and my daughter are ok. As of now almost a week after returned from the trip, I am still diarrhea. I think I should visit doctor's office over the weekend. In conclusion, I think I might want to go back in the future, but not at the price we paid. My wife said "NO & Never"

5  Thank Babyk09

Dear Guest,

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfil all our guests needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts. If we did not meet your expectations on solving problems, I truly apologize and correcting actions already have been taken.

I deeply regret that you became sick during your stay and I hope that you fully recovered; since the health and well being of our guest's are our top priority. Nevertheless I would like to mention that Paradisus Palma Real has contracts with several internationally organized food audit companies that periodical audits of all our Food and Beverage areas. These companies check to ensure the correct food handling procedures are occurring and also verifying the water supply in all areas. I consider important to mention that carefully selected products compose our gastronomical supply, taking into consideration the diversity of clients who visit our hotel.

Your comments on improvement areas have been shared with all staff and it will be part of our daily work to make sure to have it corrected on a short term.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

went for 7 nights for a 10 year anniversary celebration and booked in the Royal Service. Marcelo was our butler and he was excellent! We ate at Pallazzo (the exclusive Royal Service Restaurant) for nearly every meal and enjoyed all of the food. We also at breakfast at Naos (sometimes faster than Palazzo), lunch at Market Grill and also lunch and dinner at Gabi Beach which were all good as well. Lunch at Gabi Beach is better than dinner in my opinion. We also had one dinner at Vento, which was good, but Palazzo was better! Neither of us got the slightest bit sick. The Lobby Bar is tons of fun at night and the bartenders there are top notch, super friendly fun bunch of servers! You can tell they love their jobs. In general, the bar staff at the pool bars (including the Royal Service pool bar) do not exude customer service and smiles. Perhaps they are just too busy. We had to consistenly go to the bar for our drinks which was only mildly annoying - it would've been nice to have more pool bar wait service to us, but certainly not a distraction just worth mentioning and was noted. The selection of alcohol at all of the bars is top notch! The wait staff at Palazzo Restaurant was never anything but respectful, helpful, kind and considerate. TOP NOTCH service. There were a couple of power outages while we were there and Marcelo assured us it was not a big deal. There was one that lasted 5 hours from 4 am on and that was mildly concerning but not a big deal!. The juice bar on the Royal Service Beach is excellent and the server there always had big smiles and loved his job you could tell. THe beach was well taken care of and well, you just can't beat the beaches of Bavaro. We went to the activities hut and checked out Bocce Ball to play one day. It would've been nice to have more activities like darts and Bocce Ball, corn hole etc... just sitting on the beah for use rather than have to check them out as most people probably didn't even know Bocce was available! We utilized the YHI spa for a 25 minute masage on a day that it rained and also utilized their hot/cold pool ritual - worth a warm dip for sure! The reserve spa was the nicer of the two though. This was our 3rd trip to the Dominican in 11 years and this was our favorite all inclusive in all regards! We would love to return and will be sure to recommend it to everyone who asks.

Room Tip: rooms on the first level are great - so convenient as there are no elevators, but since the floors a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, Director General at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you have had an amazing experience and that your expectations were surpassed with our blue water beach and the attentiveness of our staff.

Please do not doubt that I took a good note of your remarks.

Thank you for posting your comments and for recommending our Resort to all the travellers.

We will be expecting your next visit.

Paradisus Resorts

Reviewed March 22, 2013

right from the moment we arrived the service was excellent. i was there for my daughters wedding, which was excellent. everything went smooth,and she was beautiful.. the ceramony on the beach and the reception, in the ball room , no problems. the food and service was excellent. the beach and pool areas were great. the employees were wonderful,and very helpful. the roomservice which was 24/7. was great. very small casino{which didn't bother me} the restarants were great. all of them. she had 61 people come to the wedding, and there always is a few who are not happy with anything but you cannot please everybody, you just try to ignore them and have a great time which was done by everybody else. so i know this is a very nice resort. rooms were very comfortable, and stock everyday with water, soda and beer. i will be going back,

Room Tip: i had a 1 bedroom suite, on the first floor. they have three floors no elevaters so if you don't...

Dear Guest,

I am very grateful and proud that you have chosen Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort for such a special occasion as your daughters wedding.

I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations with our food, our service and our beaches.

Once again, congratulations to your daugthers wedding and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again at your second home in "paradise".

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Suites are comfy and big enough for a family of four. The room we stayed in and I think all rooms have jacuzzis and two sinks. The room also had a balcony and a full kitchen. You can enjoy having dinner at a different restaurant every night during your stay. You can also enjoy all facilities at their small hotel extension, The Reserve. Lots of activities for kids and adults. The spa is amazing and a real treat for adults. Food was average but good enough. People working there are very helpful and friendly. We originally booked a room at the Reserve but were offered one at Paradisus which turned out to be 2 minutes away from the beach. You will find lots of water activities on the beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, Director General at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear guest,

I am delighted to hear that your experience in Dominican Republic and at Paradisus Palma Real Resort left the best impression on you.

I truly hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you soon again at your second home.