We spent 5 days at this resort, and unfortunately, this place failed to impress, by any stretch of the imagination. There were so many negatives, it was hard to know where I should begin with this review. Rather than detail all our issues, I'll simply highlight the ones likely to be most useful to fellow travelers.
Service was poor, poor, poor. This was the overwhelming problem of our stay at this resort. Other members in our group confirmed this. The staff at this resort seemed amateurish and inexperienced. On more than one occasion, I asked members of my party if they felt like we had arrived on a week when the resort was training a large number of new staff. That, or the resort was understaffed for the number of guests.
I was reduced to self-service on more than one occasion. During lunch, after waiting 10 to 15 minutes for someone to get me a soft drink, I just went to the beverage bar, and got one myself.
Communication. If you do not speak Spanish, you may find language to be a barrier to communication. This was true for much of the staff we encountered. When I asked our restaurant waiter about an appetizer on the menu, he indicated the dish was his favorite. When I asked him to elaborate more on the dish and its ingredients, he couldn't tell me anything more about it.
We had similar communication issues, when ordering drinks at the resort's various bars. There must be a shortage of bar-tending schools in the Dominican Republic, because the bartenders were awful. Many of my drink requests were met with blank stares. They had no idea how to mix well-known cocktails. I ultimately had to explain to bartenders how to mix a number of very common, well-known drinks. Seriously, I was dumbfounded when I couldn't get a Kir Royal apértif drink before our meal.
The Room. Ours had a strong musty smell to it. When we complained and requested another room, we were told there were no other rooms available. We had arrived as part of a group, so the front desk advised us that we should find another person in our group willing to swap rooms with us. Seriously? Can you imagine that? Asking another member of our group, "Would you mind swapping your room for our musty-smelling room?" Keep this in mind, when you read the hotel management's response to negative reviews, indicating they "have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations." That's the kind of quality service you can expect at this resort.
About the bathroom ... I hope you enjoy taking cold showers. Our room provided enough warm (not hot) water for only 1 person. The second person's shower was always cold.
Food was typical of all-inclusive resorts I have attended. Acceptably good (but not great), and certainly not of a quality that you will write home about. When you arrive to one of the evening restaurants on the resort, you will be asked about your reservation. When we indicated that we did not have a reservation, because we had just arrived from the airport an hour earlier, we were made to feel that the restaurant staff were doing us a favor by seating us. Really? Only a third of the tables were occupied, and it was 9 pm, well after the dinner rush. The hostess was acting as though we were trying to walk up to a hot new restaurant in Beverly Hills, expecting to be seated without being a famous celebrity. This is an all-inclusive resort, is it not?
Heed mine and other negative reviews about this resort. These comments are not the exception. In our experience, they were the norm. Bottom line: You will most likely regret coming here, as it will feel like a waste of your time and money.
The only nice thing I can say about this hotel resort is that the grounds were beautiful. The beach is very nice and just a short walk off the property. If that alone is worth your time and money, then go for it. If not, then I must suggest that you pass.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the epitome of resort elegance. Paradisus Palma Real Resort envelops you in privileged comfort and simply astonishing beauty. Discover crystal Caribbean waters, pristine beaches, towering palm trees, stunning gardens and magnificent architecture. Delight in sumptuous private Suites, championship golf, seven world-class international restaurants and stunning pools lined with exotic Bali beds. An all-encompassing paradise of grace, elegance and charm located 25 minutes from the Punta Cana International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Palma Real Hotel Punta Cana
- Paradisus Palma Real Punta Cana
- Paradisus Punta Cana
- Paradisus Palma Real Resort
- Punta Cana Paradisus
- Paradisus Hotel Punta Cana