“Second Anniversary Trip to Paradise”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Second Anniversary Trip to Paradise”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited this resort Nov 12-19 for our second anniversary. We have been to Punta Cana 6 times and usually stay at Paradisus Punta Cana but due to construction we decided to try this one. We always take the Royal Service and it's worth it. This resort was quite a bit more expensive. It's newer and the rooms are nicer and food is better but that's about the only difference. We booked a garden view room and using the advertised repeat guest upgrade and resort credits we got a ocean view upgrade. However, the next day recd a call in room saying we would have to pay addl $400 for upgrade. Went to office and explained that we expected the upgrade to be complimentary due to reasons explained at check in and was able to work it out. Other than that one problem, the rest of the vacation was extraordinary and would highly recommend this resort. Special thanks to Doniel our butler, he was excellent. Wilkin at the Sunset Bar was fantastic. Francisco and Pedro on the beach took excellent care of us as well. We will return to this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear guests,

With great pleasure I have received your comments and I would like to thank you for having chosen our property as the place to spend such special occasion, your second anniversary.

I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned and we will be expecting you the next year to celebrate together once again.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,035)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Rude, untrained staff. Horrible food buffet. Bad organized organization. Unprofessional check in. Room smells bad. Wrong room. And that all for the price of over 300 dollar a night!!! If i compare this with hotels and resorts in the rest of the world. This is realy the worst for this price i stayed until now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Teddorjan
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to air your concerns after having stayed with us.

I deeply regret to learn that your stay was not up what you expected. Please rest assured that your particular observations have been shared with my managing team in order to take immediate actions on improvement areas and fine-tune our operation.

Sincerely

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

One of my best trips ever! The resort was absolutely stunning. I loved seeing the live pink flamingos in the tropical garden. The grounds were very well maintained despite the torrential down pours we had a couple nights in a row. The beach was gorgeous although I found there to be too much seaweed in the water. We’re more pool people which by the way was enormous. It seemed endless. The pool was clean and spacious. There were copious amount of beds to lie on, in the water, around the pool and on the beach. Some of the chairs could use a new liner, many were torn. Our suite was lovely, clean and well furnished. The airport was 15 minutes away. They offered amazing workshops at the resorts. The first one I attended was the sushi making class. It was instructional and interactive but unfortunately not hands-on. Maybe it was too big of a class. We got to enjoy the food but it’s all inclusive and sushi was offered at lunch and dinner anyway so I decided to skip the other workshops (flower arrangements, candle-making, dance lessons, finger painting and paint brushing). What a mistake I wish I had done the finger painting. The guests made gorgeous mini paintings. They looked so professional. It would have made a great souvenir. So the following day I went for the paint brushing workshop. I got there 15 minutes early and the class was already full. What a disappointment. There were only 5 easels set up as they didn’t have anymore. There were many more people who were equally disappointed when they arrived after me. JoAngel was a great activities guy and he felt bad he spoke with the instructor but there was nothing that could have been done. I stayed and sat with the group anyway and they produced such amazing canvas paintings. I tipped the instructor and kept his painting, so I was happy but not really satisfied. I would much have preferred to make my own. The employees were genuinely super nice: restaurant servers (Wilken a Aqua was super), cleaning ladies and bar tenders (Ramon – was amazing). Fernando was a sweetheart too but then again everyone was amazing. I loved the food! We ate each night at a different a-la-carte restaurant. Everything was utterly delicious. A little salty a couple times but absolutely delicious. We never had a chance to try the buffet for dinner because of all the other restaurants, but for lunch and breakfast it was good. I ate lots and there is enough variety. I don’t eat that well at home for lunch and breakfast so I can’t complain. Too much variety so you can certainly end up eating excessively. There was a problem with leaking in the wash room during the heavy rains but I just laid some towels down an all was well. The closest door was broken but useable and half way through the week the light by the night stand got ripped out of the wall. I assume that happened when the cleaning lady was making the bed. I clearly left the wire coiled there to be fixed hoping that it was have been fixed at some point during my stay but that didn’t happen so I mentioned it upon checkout. It’s a resort for relaxation not wild parties. Although there was volleyball there were not other real games or activities with guests. It was quiet and classy. I definitely would go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank karatemamma
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your impressions on this trip.

Exceeding expectations and offer truly exceptional experiences to our guests is our goal. I am delighted to hear about your interest in the life enriching activities that we offer; therefore I took a good note of your particular observation in order to improve our product.

I hope to have the pleasure to host you again at this your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My review is about a month late, but here we go:) My family of five and Mother-in-law stayed at Paradisus Palma Real from November 1-10th and had one of the best vacations we have had (since children anyway). Prior to leaving there had been many negative reviews or at least leaning that way, which completely had me on edge about my decision to stay at PPR. I am going to try to keep this short and sweet.

I will start by saying that we are very fussy about cleanliness and my husband and mother-in-law are fussy about food. That being said no one was disappointed!! The resort was absolutely beautiful, clean and the food was better than expected.

We booked through a travel agent who was able to match the pricing that I had gotten through Melia which upgraded us to VIP (apparently an automatic if you book directly through Melia). VIP included Gabi Beach at no additional charge and a concierge as well as check in at the VIP lounge. Our concierge, Camilo Pache was a huge help and a sweet and kind person. Camilo made our dinner reservations, and checked in with us every day to make sure that we had everything that we needed. We are grateful for all of his assistance during our stay!

Other people we need to mention are Ramon (Fuego) who treated us like family and made sure our 3 year old and his big brother and sister had their Piña Colada and Plantanos chips every day! As soon as he would see us coming he would start the family order!! We all miss your sunny smile:) Also, Paolino and Luis were gems as well!!

Complaints: sofa beds in suites were tired could use to be replaced
Beverage replacement was spotty-some days it happened some days it didn't - this is one thing Camilo took care of for us each day!
It is a bit dark at night-make sure you have your route to your room down or you can get a little turned around when it is so dark.
Service at the buffet was spotty- many days of chasing someone down for a beverage!

Pros: Too many to list!

We will go back in a heartbeat!! Loved it - we didn't want to leave!

1 Thank JNVmomof3
Dear Guest,

I greatly appreciate your comments about our facilities and services. At the Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

I assure you that your observations related with our sofa beds was taken in consideration in order to take actions, thus improve our product.

Once more, thank you for you valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We took our family to the Paradisus in Punta Cana over the Thanksgiving holiday. While communicating with the staff either before or during the trip was challenging, overall it was worthwhile. The staff were generally very friendly, if not always knowledgeable about what was going on at any given time on the resort. The beach was one of the beautiful ones I've every seen. The resort takes very good care of the sand and the beach to ensure no trash and only a little sea grass. Resorts much farther down the beach (the Paradisus' beach is very, very long) isn't as well taken care of. The food was about as expected. I would have preferred more varied desserts and some true Dominican fare. There was only one night of Dominican themed food. The entertainment was okay. I wasn't terribly impressed, but it is resort entertainment and one of the more put together groups I have seen. The mall nearby isn't worth your time, unless you want to visit a seemingly empty Hard Rock Cafe or get pizza at the local pizza joint (they didn't speak any English though). It is wise to learn a little Spanish before your trip. It will make your life easier, as all of the staff speak/understand English, but not very well.

1 Thank venus1kjs
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement. You can rest assured that your observations were taken into consideration.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a long review but must be read! My husband and I just returned from the Dominican Republic. We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Resort, which was one of the worse experiences we have had as travelers. I must first say that we are well traveled, having stayed at over 30 resorts and visited well over 35 countries. Additionally, we have traveled all over the U.S. Our experiences make us uniquely qualified to write this review. We visited this resort through an RCI exchange, so even before paying the $260 per day AI, we already had paid an exchange fee and, of course, our timeshare maintenance fee/tax of over $800. We won’t even discuss the high cost of flying into the DR.
For starters, the people who are at the lowest end of the totem pole and that do all the menial work were wonderful at the resort. They did all they could humanly do to make our trip worthwhile. Also, the grounds (well maintained)and beach were beautiful at the resort. Our concerns are with those who manage the Paradisus.
Even before leaving the U.S., I tried calling the resort numerous times to inquire about transportation from the airport, making restaurant reservations (friends suggested this would be wise), and getting a unit with a view of the ocean. I got through once and was told that we simply had to request an ocean view upon our arrival. Originally, we had been told to call closer to our arrival date for our other concerns. When I called closer to the arrival date, we were disconnected five times by the resort, thus could not get any answers to anything! So, we travelled in good faith, believing that all would be fine as we were, after all, going to a highly acclaimed 5 star resort. Wrong! Luckily, some people on our flight directed us to the best and most reasonable way to travel to the resort. Once at the resort, no one could find our names on anything. Eventually, an hour later, they were able to figure it all out. By then, we were beyond exhausted! Of course, once it was established that we were legitimate guests, the concerns about money and payment began. Our bank at first did not accept the full AI charge as it was a large amount and it was being charged from another country. Rather than invite us into a room where we could sit in air conditioning, the clerk at the desk simply sat the telephone on the counter and had us stand there and contact our bank. It was a rude beginning and the beginning of much more to come! Once that was all settled, we inquired about the ocean view. We were told that, to get an ocean view, it would cost an additional $1200 U.S! Of course, we passed on that. As we finally made our way to our unit, we did appreciate a beautiful lobby area and those who helped with the luggage were quite nice. Our room, which overlooked the grounds, was passable, so we settled in to begin our vacation. We looked forward to our first evening of dining which was at a buffet. Right away, we realized that the food would certainly not be the highlight of the trip. And, because we are not heavy drinkers at all, we realized that we would be basically paying for others to have a good time. We were very disappointed. The food throughout was bland, poorly seasoned, and unexciting. We began to miss home cooking almost immediately and inquired as to why in a Caribbean country would the food be so unexciting. We never got a straight answer to that. One night, we did enjoy a meal at a restaurant for which we had to pay as it was outside of our AI! Imagine that! Throughout the trip, my husband had to send his food back to get it to be more seasoned! Even the “well stocked bar and refrigerator” offered no snacks, two cheap beers, a couple of sodas, bottled water, and boxes of Kool-Aid like orange drinks!
The first night (and every night afterwards), it poured rain. That, in and of itself, did not bother us. We enjoyed listening to the rain. Little did we know that, in addition to watching scores of workers mopping up water all night, there was powdery black mold growing at an alarming rate right in the window above our headboard! We didn’t realize until well into the trip that this was the reason my husband was constantly coughing and my skin was constantly itching throughout the trip. Furthermore, the damp smell that the room picked up was very uncomfortable to live with. The smell permeated our bedding and the curtains! I would not have made sense to try and change rooms as we learned that many other guests were having the same experience. In fact, one couple with a 3-year-old son informed us that their son had been coughing non-stop the entire trip. They had been moved twice. Others from Toronto (there were many on a trip from there) complained of the mold and the poor food, as well. Numerous others, like myself, complained of diarrhea and vomiting. It was pretty horrific.
The “entertainment” was awful, as well. One of the shows featured dancers doing traditional dance. Sad. Not sure what was traditional there. And we were never treated to any good drumming! The casino was a joke. Almost all of the machines were broken and, when one did win a few dollars, it took 15-20 minutes to collect the winnings. There was a coupon for $10 (to match) for the casino tables. When both my husband and I tried to use a $20 bill, they absolutely did not want to give us back our $10. And, whenever one had to go to the customer service are of the casino, the attendant was actually rude and appeared to resent having to be bothered or having to make change! I had never experienced anything like that in a casino in the States!
Even the telephone service did not work. People trying to reach us from the States were disconnected or told our phone was out of service (and we learned later that it was much of the time). We often could not use the telephones until my husband took it upon himself to tighten some of the wiring to get some service.
The beach was very pretty although the water was so wild and choppy that one really could not swim. We actually spent time at the pool, which was quite nice. The bartenders were nice, even when serving non-alcohol drinks.
But, all in all, the trip was a huge disappointment. In fact, we were so disappointed that we asked for a meeting with the manager toward the end and laid out all of our concerns to him. He spent time defending the reputation of the resort (wasted on us). After leaving, then coming back, he offered us “concierge service” for our next trip and a lukewarm apology. We told him that we had no intentions of returning to that (or any) resort in the DR again and that his “concierge service” in a 3-star resort would and could not impress us. We did let him know that we would warn others who might be planning to come to the Paradisus Palma Real. We would love to spare anyone our disappointments.
So, in closing, take care if you plan to visit the Paradisus. You are likely going to be in for a huge disappointment and will NOT have a 5-star experience! Sharon W and Anthony D

Room Tip: Ask for a room where there is less black mold growing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sharonjwhite12
Dear Sharon and Anthony,

Thank you for having taken the time to write your concerns after having stayed with us.

Exceeding the expectation of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this, it is necessary to provide good service and attitude.

I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfil all our guests’ needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts. If some of my staff did not meet your expectations on solving problem, I truly apology and correcting actions already have been taken.

Your comments on improvement areas have been shared with all staff and it will be part of our daily work.

Sincerely

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just got back from a 7 day stay at this gorgeous resort.....the whole stay was amazing. The resort is absolutely stunning, the grounds are immaculate,the beach is gorgeous,clean and wide ,the pool is huge, our suite was clean and well furnished.

We had the tourist card printed before arrival so we were out of the airport within 15 minutes. The private transfer was waiting outside and the ride took about 15 mins.

Check-in was smooth.......10 mins and we were done. There were 4-5 other families waiting in the lobby. We were given a mocktail and a cold towel and our concierge gave us a brief tour of the main areas. We had a 1 bdrm master suite with garden views. The room we were allotted was kind of far from everything and that building had no elevator so we asked to change the room. We were given a new room next morning in the main building and this was quite comfortable.

Food...was good to ok to very good depending from time to time and the restaurant. We ate at the Bana bistro which we really liked,Vento was ok and the main buffet was plentiful and tasty. The presentation in the buffet was not great but there was plenty of choice. The desserts looked pretty but were not so flavorful. Always plenty of salads and fresh choices,pork,seafood,smoked salmon for breakfast,fresh fruit smoothies and fresh juices.

The bars here are great. Almost everywhere you turn,there is a bar. Our favorite was the lobby bar....great drinks,always live music or singing and very entertaining. The pool bar was the only one where the drinks were always watered down and syrupy. Ramon at the pool bar was amazing....he would get my Malibu specially from the lobby. Special thanks to you Ramon for taking such good care of us! The shows everyday were lively and enjoyable,specially the fire show on the beach and the Michael Jackson show.

The beach is awesome...powdery white,clean,wide plenty of shaded chairs. Very calm water and smooth. The pool was huge but faces away from the beach and very few shaded spots. We were lucky the resort was about 50% full....at peak occupancy it would be scorching to sit in the sun and fight for chairs by the pool. The beach had weed but was fairly clean in the mornings and as the day passed,it became more weedy. Only 1 day out of our 7 day stay did the water have too much weed and it was not fun to swim in.

Service everywhere was great. Having read so many bad reviews about service,I was really prepared to be ignored but it was totally the opposite. Room service never took more than 25 min,housekeeping always at the same time,minibar restocked everyday,couple of times we called for technician for fan and blocked toilet and it was fixed within 15 min. They would even offer to carry my plate at the buffet.

Our room was a 1 bdrm suite with separate living room and pull out sofa but we got a rollaway bed. The bathroom is a bit tricky. I was told we will have separate bathrooms but it is one bathroom with 2 doors....1 in the bdrm and 1 in the living. The shower and toilet have glass doors and even tho frosted,they have a check pattern so you can actually see thru. We always had the big bath towels hanging on both these doors.

Our concierge met us 4-5 times and kept asking for making reservations for dinner. He asked us once for attending the presentation....we said no and nobody ever asked again. Everyday somebody or the other would stop and ask us if we were enjoying our stay,if everything is ok or if we needed anything.

Overall, we had a great stay and would go back. 2 things that we didn't like......no snack service by the pool and the glass doors even in a family suite. Why would they do that is beyond me.
Special thanks to Wilson and Juan at the front desk,huge thanks to Ramon( from your Malibu and whiskey and Shirley temple friends). Hope to be back someday!

Room Tip: No rooms have ocean except for royal service. We were in the Turqouise building.
1 Thank smile_in
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend your last holidays as well as for having shared your experience.

Your observations regarding our service and gastronomy are greatly appreciated. In Meliá Hotel’s International we believe that it is only by listening to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

Once more thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at this, your second home.