“Paradise Indeed!”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #17 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The travel agency I used was the only disappointing part of this trip. Everything else was exceptional.

This was my first time at Paradisus Palma Real and it was absolutely extraordinary. The staff at the resort were extremely accommodating. They were bilingual (English and Spanish) and they made me feel comfortable. Although it was off season, it was a perfect time. The food was excellent in all the restaurants. I am so anxious to plan my next trip at another Paradisus hotel in another country once I have confirmed it with my mother.

I came home from this trip anxiously sharing all my pictures with my friends and family. I highly recommend this resort for a business retreat, romantic getaway or family vacation. This resort has truly earned it 5 stars.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Martha,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that you had a memorable stay. At the Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the near future.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (11,479)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the 4th time I have been to this hotel and they seem to impress me every time.
From the minute you arrive at the Palma Real you can see and experience the the most friendly and proffesional staff anywhere! The property is spotless and absolutly breathtaking!
The resort has gone through many renovatons and it is one of the most beautiful resorts I have stayed at!
want to take an opportunity to recognize some of the staff from the hotel especially the Royal Service department!!! Jeuri Ferreira (Butler) , Leandro, Samuel, Domingo, Smerlyn (Palazzo Restaurant) Ornie and Juan (Lobby Bar).
The Animation staff was amazing but I do recommend they add more to the team because it seemed these guys were working all alone most times since there was so much to do and not enough bodies to go around :( Dance lessons, Beach Volleyball etc need more than one member of the Animation. Also there wasn't much communication on the events going on during the day. Water aerobics only was offered twice during the week. Congrats on the nightly shows they were amazing. My recommendaton is if the guests are enjoying the live band or DJ in the lobby and dancing it was sad to see it being closed down even though there were so many who still wanted to dance and not go to the Red Lounge (Jose, Angel,Elizer,Maria and Henry (Animation Staff).
Thank you Sarah (RS lounge) , Andrea and Reyes (Groups) for all your help and making my stay once again unforgettable. Ready to book my winter holiday again. Will see you soon to all my friends at Paradisus Palma Real. Besos!!!!!!

Room Tip: Royal Service Oceanfront which includes a butler makes all the differnce!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Angie,

I would like to thank you for your valuable comments as well for having shared your impressions on this trip. I am grateful that you have honoured us with your presence for a fourth time.

At the Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future at this your “home away from home”, Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This has been my fifth trip to Punta Cana and my second to Paradisus Palma Real. The Dominican people are among the most friendly people in the Caribbean. The Paradisus Palma Real is one of the most beautiful properties in the Caribbean, and the people who work there are just as excellent. Edgar our family concierge is nothing but helpful, for giving you a tour of the premises to making your reservations for dinner. Our favorite is Ramon Fuego at the Aqua Bar. He goes above and beyond what is expected of a bartender. He welcomed us every morning with a smile and a drink. He even went out of his way and reserved my family one of the canopy beds near the pool. One morning for my mothers birthday he gave her a big hug and made her mimosas with hand squeezed orange juice. Ramon was always a good time whether it was a friendly smile or putting on a show delivering your drink without you even having to ask for it.
All of the employees at the Paradisus Palma Real are quick with a smile and conversation. They all go out of their way to make your stay even more magical. It is important to tip, I know it says in most packages that it is included but you need to tip for the same services you would back in the States. I feel that the people who write the negative reviews are either hard to please or they do not tip, in either case it is no wonder that they do not have a great time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Ashley,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real golf & Spa Resort as your holiday destination for a second time.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you have had a memorable stay with us thanks to the effort and dedication demostrated by our staff, specially by Edgar Gonzalez. We are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal-the continuous improvement of our services. I assure you that I will gladly pass on your compliments to all you have mentioned.

Once more thank you for sharing your impressions and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future for your third visit at this, your “home away from home”.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was our second time at Paradisus Palma Real and it was a special trip because it was for our wedding. Because of some communication complications with the Miami wedding office during my planning, I was very apprehensive when I arrived. But, as soon as I got in the lobby...I remembered why we chose this resort for our wedding. Our check-in went smoothly even though we upgraded to Royal Service. I was happy to see Sarah Agramonte leading that section now, she was always so friendly and professional during my first visit and of course, this time around. Yomalyn at Royal Service was also a sweetheart and very helpful and the waiters and the food at the new restaurant Polazzo was nothing short of spectacular. Our butler Julio Cesar decorated our room almost everyday and brought us wedding sweets and snacks - so attentive and sweet.

When our family arrived a day later, all the rooms were ready, clean and the process was seamless. During our stay, the bar staff, Carlo Trinidad from Market Grill, and even room service and the bell boys were nothing but helpful and accommodating.

My pre-wedding meeting with Mariela, Massiel, Arrecife and Caribbean Celebrations went great. The day of the wedding, it rained but Plan B was executed perfectly. I could not be happier with how everything turned out. Mariela has to be the nicest and most organized wedding planner, ever. I am so grateful to everyone who made out trip and our wedding everything we expected and more.

1  Thank tdinate
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to celebrate such special occasion

I am proud to hear that our Royal Service staff as well as our Romance Staff went above and beyond in their effort to bring you a memorable experience.

We greatly appreciate the time you took for share your impressions and we looking forward to have the pleasure in welcoming you back at this your second home.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just got back from the Paradisus Palma Real on Saturday. I went here with my wife for our honeymoon and the experience was nothing short of spectacular. I've actually been back on Trip Advisor wanting to book our 1 Year Anniversary there next year. We had a pickup scheduled at the airport that delivered us to welcoming smiles. AC was our concierge and he was always willing to help in whatever way he could whenever we asked. Just to give you an idea of the kind of service they provide.....We paid $40 to go to the Hard Rock a play in the Casino all day in addition to using their spa. Before we could leave the staff at the Paradisus expressed that we were actually going to be entertained by a time-resort presentation that would last all day. We went over to Club Melia where they refunded our money, gave us 2 50 Minutes massages at the YHI Spa and dinner reservations at the Gabi Club. Amazing! Jose in the Casino is equally warm and charming in addition to all the staff members throughout the resort. My wife used to live in the DR so we left the resort to go to Friusa and get our souvenirs at better prices along with some Mamajuana and clothes. The excursions to Cap Cana for "Adventure Boogies" etc. were pretty cool but long rides where you had to pickup others from the neighboring resorts were not as enjoyable. I was talking to a gentleman at the spa from Toronto who booked his vacation to the Grand Bavaro and after dealing with mediocrity over there his travel agent put him in at the Paradisus and he was amazed by how much better the quality of everything was. The only knock I have is the resort credit. None of it is ever really enough to get you anything without contributing some of your own money. For example: The $100 dollar Spa credit is only usable provided you meat certain requirements i.e. If we wanted to use the $100 dollar credit 2/$50 we needed to book 2-1 hour massages which equaled $240 and therefore we would have to kick in an additional $140 bucks. The $100 dollar match play at the Casino is 10-$10 match play coupons which can only be used by 1 person per night. You can beat the excursion crews up on prices so don't ever pay retail. Oh yeah, and the photography crew downstairs that will take your photos are unbelievably amazing. We got 20 photos! Every one stunning and better than our wedding photos. They're awesome. Good job all of you!

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort for such special occasion, your honeymoon.

It is a pleasure for me to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you. At the Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Once more, thanks’ for your valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future at this your second home.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Gloria is the best bartender at the Palma Real. She is very friendly and personable. She makes a great Banana Mambo! We had a great time at the resort. We give it 5 stars! The staff are extremely friendly and the place is beautiful!

Dear Valerie,

Exceeding the expectation of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal and I am proud to learn that we have achieved our goal.

I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff, specially by Gloria Rodriguez during your stay. Please rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Thank you for share your impressions and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Whilst on a recent 21 night multi-resort trip to Punta Cana we spent a day at Paradisus Palma Real & The Reserve as research for another trip to the island

This was our 30th trip to the Caribbean and our 11th trip to Dominican Republic. We have stayed in the North of the island twice and this was our 9th trip to the South having stayed at numerous top end resorts such as Excellence, Zoetry, Sanctuary Cap Cana, etc so we like to think that we have a fairly good well calibrated holiday measuring stick

Having stayed at other Sol Melia properties in the past we thought we would take the opportunity to check out Palma Real & The Reserve whilst we were in the area as we have already visited their two new properties in Mexico at Playa del Carmen this summer and have booked to spend some nights at Paradisus La Perla in June 2013

I will be perfectly honest upfront as usual and say we did not purchase a day pass for our time at the resort - the purpose of the day out was twofold:

To see if we would like to stay at Paradisus Palma Real on future trips to Punta Cana

To increase my knowledge of the resorts in the area which will assist me in answering questions on TripAdvisor and Facebook and enable me to make comparisons with other similar resorts

Being given free access and the additional bonus of a room on the day in The Royal Service area at Palma Real in no way prejudices my opinions and as normal I remain unbiased in this mini review and all further writings about the property. Resorts are fully aware of this and respect me for being unbiased as they are fully aware that no resort is perfect or ideal for all guests

When we arrived at Paradisus Palma Real we were really impressed by the entrance and main building with all its columns and water features – all very grand and sophisticated. We were taken to the Royal Service Lounge to be checked in and have breakfast in the Palazzo Restaurant which is exclusive to Royal Service guests. You have the choice of a nicely prepared buffet breakfast or food cooked to order – you could tell a lot of effort had been put into the presentation of the food and layout which we personally like to see. The intimate restaurant has an indoor area with AC and a very nice terrace which overlooks the Royal Service Pool

After breakfast on the terrace we met with Leticia who showed us around The Reserve after which we returned back to the main resort and were shown to our Royal Service Deluxe Garden View Suite

I must say we were a little disappointed in the suite itself and would have been rather disappointed had we booked to stay there. We found the suite rather old fashioned with the use of some heavy dark wooded furniture and not very sophisticated audio equipment. The patios / balconies are adequate but small compared to many other resorts we have stayed at. The bathroom was also rather basic and old fashioned as you will see from my photos

It is all a matter of personal taste and this was not ours – many others may disagree.

The Royal Service Suites face either towards the ocean, inwards towards the grounds or outwards off the resort toward the Melia Caribe so as with many resorts room location needs to be taken into account. As our room was ground floor and facing towards Melia Caribe it was rather dark

I must say we were rather amazed to hear about their very low occupancy at the moment and the resort did feel very empty. Unlike The Reserve which sits back off the beach Paradisus Palma Real sits directly on the beach. The resort has 554 suites including 198 Royal Service Suites which are in the buildings on the far right as you look towards the ocean adjacent to Melia Caribe

The resort itself has six a la carte restaurants and two poolside buffet restaurants – Bana [Asian bistro which offers guests a choice of 3 culinary experiences – Sushi Bar, Teppanyaki or contemporary Asian fusion ], Passion by which is an additional charge and is described as a once in a lifetime culinary voyage by 7 star Michelin Chef Martin Berasategui , Vento [Mediterranean], Market Grill, Naos [International], Agave [Mexican], Gabi Beach [Contemporary Fusion for the exclusive use of Royal Service, Family Concierge & The Reserve Guests], Plazzo [Italian for exclusive use of Royal Service Guests]

We had lunch in the Gabi Beach and as with breakfast we thought the food and service were very good indeed. Great a la carte menu with lots of choice catering for those guests who just want a light snack through to those who wish a far more substantial meal

In total there are nine bars to suit all moods and occasions. Anyone staying there who is eligible must experience the Gabi Beach Bar as it is one of the ultimate beach chill out areas complete with hammocks and a beautiful, brightly coloured shaded area for children to snooze whilst mum and dad are dining

The resort has three pools – a very impressive 37,600 sq ft main pool with a small section for Royal Service guests, one pool exclusively for use by Royal Service Guests and one for Club Melia guests. All the pools were very clean and maintained and had more than adequate loungers and palapas / shades

The beach area which is very wide and deep again has areas specifically for use of certain guests – Royal Service, Family Concierge, Club Melia and the balance. Some may find this a bit “them & us” but it seems to work and guests with the private areas have paid for this privilege. The beach and ocean on the day we were there did have a lot of weed / seagrass which is down to Mother Nature but what was disappointing was to see no one picking it up

As we stayed next door at Secrets Royal Beach for six nights and walked the PPR beach on many occasion it was the same most days. Since we lasted stayed on Bavaro Beach eight years ago it has become much more commercialised with beach traders and boat traffic all the way along that stretch of beach

The grounds at Palma Real are expansive, well laid out and very tropical as you will see from my photos

Would we book to stay at Paradisus Palma Real – probably not as the accommodation was not quite to our taste. We loved the rest of the resort and especially the main building which is very impressive indeed. We will definitely look at staying at The Reserve on a future trip to Punta Cana where we will also have access to the majority of the restaurants, bars and grounds at Palma Real

Do I think this mini-review is an accurate reflection based on the fact that we were only at the resort for a short period of time??? Yes I do as many travel agents who visit resorts to see what they are like are there for far less time than we were. We were lucky enough to have spent nearly 8 hours at the two resorts, had the use of a room, had two meals and were free to roam throughout all of the resort. My review is factual and backed up with a comprehensive photograph album

Reviews are but one person’s opinion of their trip and this is ours. Will it vary from other people’s experience – of course it will as we all have different expectations and holiday measuring sticks. Ours is fairly sophisticated as we are lucky enough to travel a lot and seems to match a lot of what other people who read TripAdvisor are looking for

Should you be interested in seeing some photos of our day out please click on the link below to my online albums on SlickPic:

Best viewed in slideshow full screen format as this way you will be able to see the photo labels

For photos and videos of other trips we have made feel free to check out

Please note that any time you enter the happy world of flipflop_man’s magic moments and memories it is always wise to have a drink in hand as there are always a lot of them to see – we are very lucky people.

As always I am happy to answer any questions

6  Thank flipflop_man

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to letting us know about your recent visit to our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, as well for share your impressions with future travelers to our destination.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. In Meliá Hotel’s International we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.

Once more thank you for your comments and I hope to have the pleasure to hosting you in the near future.