“Disappointing”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #17 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I just arrived home from a 4 night stay at the Paradisus Palma Real. We booked this hotel based on travelers reviews and the recommedation of a close friend and proceeded to upgrade to the Royal Service. From the moment we upgraded we were hounded non-stop to sit through the time-share sales pitch. We tried telling them to let us think about it but it became relentless...a sales person was waiting at the entrance to our building and at the entrances to the restaurants...wherever we went he was there. For a 5 day vacation I feel we lost so much time and had so much pressure we were unable to enjoy our trip until we finally sat down with the salesman. On our second day, our air conditioner stopped working, we called several times and each time they would send a maid or some other staff member to look at it and then tell us 10 minutes. Our room temperature never went below 78 degrees and all of my clothes took on a weird musty smell. On our second to last night they finally offered to switch our room and cover the $100 charge for the dinner on the beach. We said yes to the dinner but declined switching rooms at this point as it was 8:30pm and we hadn't even eaten yet. They still tried to assure us that someone was in the room at that minute working on the air. The next day we decided to to an excursion and were assured that it was only 4 hours and we would be back from our 1:30 departure in plenty of time for our 8:00 dinner on the beach. The bus ride alone to the buggies was over and hour and on the way back the driver forgot to drop people off at their hotel so needless to say, we didn't arrive back at the Paradisus until 8pm! We went to the buffet and never had dinner on the beach. Still trying to make the best of our trip, upon checkout we asked to have our $100 dinner credit applied to our spa visit. We were given the Royal Service managers card and I've called several times with no reply. At this point I'm sure I won't hear back. The hotel itself it absolutely beautiful, for the most part the staff was great, and Julio our personal butler was the best. Anyone on vacation would be lucky to have him as there concierge. The management staff is where my problem lies. There is truly no respect for the guest from them and no desire to make their wrongs right. Through only the fault of the people you rely on to make your stay the best, we were incredibly disappointed. No wonder they keep them in offices away from the vacationers!

Room Tip: I gave the rooms and service a poor due to the management staff. The staff you would encounter every...
4  Thank Sue729
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Sue,

Thank you for having taken the time to air your concerns regarding your stay at our Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

I deeply regret to hear about the situations described and I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience you may have faced while on vacation. You may rest assured that those issues have been addressed with our Managing Team in order to fine-tune with the operation, thus avoid similar coincidences in the future.

We believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement.

Once more, thank you for your constructive criticism and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (11,479)

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This vacation was our first trip to D.R. We planned a group trip with six other couples in celebration of my wife's 40th. We opted for the Royal Service upgrade and were all pleased with the choice. I highly recommend requesting Ramone as a butler - he provided our group excellent service throughout the week, including dinner reservations for our large group, rose petal baths with champagne on ice and handling on the logistics for our excursions. The crew at the sunset bar never let us go thirsty and kept the royal service pool and beach area in great order. The beaches were unreal - true white sand, groomed each morning. Plenty of shade or sun available pool side or on the beach. The food was much better than we expected - definitely an upgrade from cruise food. This resort is amazing and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing us to celebrate such special occasion, as well for sharing your impression on this trip.

I greatly appreciate your comments about our Royal Service. At the Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back at this, your second home.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was our first all inclusive resort trip and our first visit to DR. The service is excellent and the entire staff is very friendly. Angel from activities made our time at the resort so enjoyable and we created such beautiful lasting memories all because of his friendly and fun personality. Bolivar our resort concierge was extremely helpful and made everything so easy and pleasant for us. Bolivar made a special effort to meet us in the lobby on our last day to give us goodbye hugs, that was such a personable gesture. We would definitely recommend this resort and visit again in the future. Thank you to everyone!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building in room 2018, it was conveniently located close to everything on the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Lenie,

I would like to thank you for choosing Paradisus Palma real for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your stay in our hotel.

It’s a honour to hear that you had a memorable experience and the fact that it was possible by the efforts of our staff. I appreciate your compliments to Angel and Bolivar, since it is thanks to staff members like them that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

I look forward to have the pleasure to host you again in the nearest future at this your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This all inclusive resort was like paradise. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and we were delighted to be at this 5 star resort and spa. Not only did it meet our expectations, it exceeded them. The staff and employees of the resort were outstanding, very friendly and personable. It was always, their pleasure, to serve. Beautiful people. Everything you need is at this resort, the food was outstanding, as well as the service. We had our very own concierge, Bolivar Guzman, who served us well. He took care of all of out dinner reservations, tour of the facility, and was there to help when needed. The entertainment at the resort was outstanding. Maria Cecilia was the main choregrapher and every evening she and her support staff uplifted us in song and dance. We enjoyed all of shows, somewhat like Las Vegas and would recommend all visitors to attend.

Overall our experience was outstanding and I would recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Puna Cana.

Room Tip: Make sure you tip the waiters and bartenders, they depend on our tips. Just because it's inclus...

Dear Sandra,

I feel proud and grateful to receive your comments about your stay in our hotel and it is a pleasure to know how our staff helped you and made your vacation a very special and memorable occasion.

I hope to have the pleasure to host you again in this your home away from home.

Sincerely

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are a repeated client. 1st time i was there was in Septemper of 2010 and we had a great experience with Paradisus. After that we visited several more hotels witch where not at the same level as paradisus but adversited as a 5 star hotel ( fine we learned our lesson - you pay what you get ) I didn't want to take a chance on not having a GREAT experience again so i decided to go back to paradisus since we were very happy from our last visit.

1st of all we did our reservations Direct with them with : Loremy Sanchez / Reservation Agent Groups & Local Market Tel: +809.221.1111 Ext: 8433 | Fax: +809.552.0572
Mail: loremys@solmelia-caribe.com Paradisus Agent. I specificlly informed them this is our anyversary visit. Boy they disregarded that! they tried to make it right on check IN by giving us another room wich is bigger. ( they did but they put us in a room that you have to walk like a MILE to get to the bar - Beach or pool area --> that my freind SUCKS )

2nd- They advertise International Drinks ( johnny walker - Vodka Absolute & more ) Boy we where wrong - NO BARS had, when we requested why? they had to go to manager to obtain a bottle witch was already open. WTF? Even one of the bar personal told us this is the Slow time of the season so managers are cutting up Expenses ---- what the %^# do we care! we payd over $1150.00 for a 3 day stay. No champaign becouse they run out. Cheap drinks witch will leave you with a HANGOVER! guaranteed!

3rd- They never have reservations for the restaurants they have available. the buffett is great as long as it inside the hotel in PARADISUS PALMA REAL. I say inside that resort since they have another sister hotel located next to them and they send us there instead due to they closed down their original buffett since there wasnt that many members! we went to have dinner there WOW that SUCKS! maybe 3 variaty of dishes and its just Sad to see how they have lacked in the preffesion.

This is one of the best hotels or was in my opinion, and they lost a customer that goes at least 1 a year. Very poor treatment when it comes on what they adversite.

Staff is very freindly and allways available to help out. But the management sucks! I will not recommend this hotel even if they give me a free stay.

Room Tip: Make sure if you choose them to give you a Room close to the pool or check in area. they tend to put...
10  Thank manny e
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Manny,

I would like to thank you for having chosen for a second time our Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

I deeply regret to hear that this time we did not impress you with some of our services. I assure you that I took a good note of your observations; therefore your comments on improvements areas have been shared with my Manging Team and it will be part of our daily work to make sure to have it corrected on a short term.

Once again, thank you for your constructive criticism and I hope to have the oportunity to serve you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was my first trip out of the states, I was going the Paradisus Resort for my baby sisters wedding, which was this past Sat. Everyone in my family as well as our friends enjoyed our stay at the Paradisus Resort. We have all said that we are planning on making a return trip back there and are inviting more friends and family to come back with us. Although everyone there at the resort was very friendly, polite and went out their way to make us feel welcomed. There was one representative who was such a big help to me, that I could have a good time and enjoy my vacation and not have to worry about my sisters wedding. Mr. Mario Samundy went beyond the call of duty, upon arriving in the DR, my tux for the wedding was fine but the rental company sent me the wrong shoes, it was basically a kids shoe. Mr. Samundy and myself went back and forth with the rental company and finally we worked it out and Mr. Samundy made sure I had the proper shoes for my sister weddig and I didn't have to stress about it at all. So Kudos Mr. Samundy and the great staff at the Paradisus Resort.

Sincerly
Demetrius Hutchinson

Room Tip: Stay in the Royal Suites,
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Demetrius H
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Demetrius,

I feel proud and grateful to receive your comments about your stay in our hotel, it is a pleasure to know how our staff helped you and made your vacation and your sister’s wedding a very special and memorable occasion. At the Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal.

I hope to have the pleasure to host you again at this Paradisus Palma Real, your home away from home.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The resort is absolutely beautiful! The pictures don't show how the true beauty of the resort. Each attendant was extremely helpful. We were upgraded to VIP which I highly suggest you do if given the option. It gives you the option to eat at a few more restaurants and bars. I only have 2 issues with my stay: Upon arrival we noticed that there were opened bottles in our refrigerator. 2nd issue is the rooms don't get cool enough. Even with those issues, I will return!! The food at Gabi Beach was better than the other restaurants, my second favorite was Mizu.

2  Thank damck2
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valuable comments. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and you may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.