“Exceeds Expectations-MUST visit!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Majesctic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Hotel Majesctic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Hotel Majesctic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
California
“Exceeds Expectations-MUST visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana was AWESOME! Everything it looks like on the website and more! We booked through Costco Travel and Hotel Beds was our transportation co and booked any excursions we went on and they too were amazing. We had Francisco as our butler at the resort and he was great! Knew just when we needed something and when to give us our privacy. Very friendly, very personable and overall he made our experience that much better. ONLY 1 bad thing...make sure you not only don't drink the tap water but use the bottled water for brushing your teeth as well. I was miserable the first day after brushing my teeth in the shower with that water. Also, be careful of the chicken kabob's in the Colonial Club, they made me VERY sick.

Room Tip: We stayed in the adults only portion on the 3rd floor....same area on the 1st floor and you can walk...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sassygirl682
Majestic-Col, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majesctic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We want to thank you for choosen MC for your Caribbean Getaway. We are so glad to hear that Francisco walked the extra mile to make your experience much better. Your compliments will be relayed on to him.

In closing, we hope that the mishaps you encountered did not overshadow your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home in the Caribbean in the not too distant future. Please, let us know once you had chosen the dates of your holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,333)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

So I have to start off by saying that I absolutely enjoyed the 5 days we spent in Punta Cana (9/14/2013 - 9/19/2013). It was quiet, did not have to reserve cabanas and the pool was pretty much empty. We managed to take a day trip to Higuey using Conexion tours (shout out to Ricardo!!). Also booked our private return trip to and from the airport for $90.

If I could, my review would be as follows:
Entertainment - 5 Stars
Location - 5 Stars
Staff - 4.5 Stars
Rooms - 3 Stars
Food - Breakfast 4 Stars; lunch and dinner 2.5 stars.

I was not impressed with the rooms at all. We stayed in the general area as we had our 8 mnth old. I was slightly depressed the 1st hr coz the rooms were just not what I expected. Felt like a motel. But once we got out to the beach, all sadness was erased! I suppose the whole point is to be outside, so I got over the rooms quick.

The staff was pretty great. I really wish I had learned their names. I was shocked that some of them served us breakfast and were still there at 9:30pm for dinner, only to turn around and be there at breakfast the next morning. We tipped a few $ every meal coz we felt their service was great, esp for the VERY long hours they worked. One girl by they lobby bar made THE BEST Mojito I have ever had!! Her name started with an M- Marcillini or something like that.. She was awesome. Not all bartenders are good though. Threw out some drinks coz they were pretty bad.

The food.. Umm- ok. So if I saw that yellow rice with clams and a whole bunch of sea food one more time, I was going to throw up. Never dared to try it.. Looked like it was made with left over rice from the day before. Breakfast at the one restaurant by ground level in the lobby area (off to the side a bit) was pretty great. Lunch really wasnt that different - most restaurants carried the dreaded rice dish. The one by the beach had OK burgers. Dinner- it was nothing to write home about as well. The sushi looked like it had been made that afternoon and left out till dinner time. But if you made the reservation the private presentation station was pretty good at the Japanese restaurant. Dessert was always amazing - all the restaurants carried the same dessert menu.

We avoided all fresh stuff and brushed our teeth with bottled water as my husband has a sensitive stomach, BUT he still got food poisoning the morning we left. Mine didn't kick in till 3 day after; couldn't figure out what caused it.

Entertainment team was off the chain. The Michael Jackson show on Sunday night was amazing. But it was so short- wish it has lasted longer. Dinner party at the beach was also really good. The food was the best that we ate during our stay. Felt like a wedding reception. I would have gladly volunteered to throw on a white dress and be a bride again!

My husband got a massage for his b-day and absolutely loved it. Said its the best he has ever had. Although he did say they got more personal than he was used to! It was $90- comparable to US prices..

We took our 8 month old and she was in heaven! We brought a floaty that had a shade so she was always covered. Took a stroller as well, lots of sunscreen, swimming diapers.. I would take the feeding bottles with the disposable liners though, coz washing them with bottled water was a pain, and I never felt like they were completely clean. The place was pretty child friendly. Just sad we couldn't get into the Colonial Club because of that.

Great experience overall. Wouldn't go back because we like to try out different destinations, but would recommend that you go as a couple/ adults only and stay in the Colonial Club.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patty N
We certainly pleased to have you as our guest here in the hotel and welcome the comments that you provided. Your compliments will be relayed on to the staff concerned.

We are glad to hear from you that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Should you ever decide to come back, we will be more than happy to host you and your family.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed in the Colonial Club ("adults") section with friends for a week during spring break this year. There are a lot of perks that come with being in the Colonial Club (and is probably your best option if you want a quieter experience). The rooms were very spacious, overlooking the pools. Access to the special "VIP lounge" was incredibly useful, as it is conveniently located with wifi and snacks! The private swimming pools are also so nice and we used them all the time (not just a sales gimmick!). The roped-off private beach area is ideal for getting away from the college-aged action, although it is a bit cramped. The section of the beach is really nice and is likely close to the hotels your friends are staying at (if on spring break too). The hotel in general during this time was about 60% families and 40% spring breakers. This isn't the hotel for you if you want a crazyyy spring break, but rather a relaxing one with access to the fun if you want it (at this hotel and others). The restaurants are decent at best--generally buffet style except for maybe 5 dinner restaurants. My favorites were the Rodeo Grill on the beach, which has the most amazing steak (seriously), and Ma+suri, which served hibachi but you must book in advance or as soon as you get there.
Don't be scared if you're not a spring-breaker to stay here...it's definitely a quieter hotel, but also has its perks for college kids. If you are looking for a 5-star experience, I wouldn't say this is the crowd for you, but 4-stars are definitely deserved!

Room Tip: Colonial Club rooms overlooking the pool are fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nicolabee11
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This resort was by far the best place we have ever been to! We went with a group of 40 for a wedding and EVERYTHING was amazing. We had the basic room which was VERY nice and always well kept. The entertainment staff were a blast! There was always so much going on which I loved! The food was great, the staff were so nice and helpful. Whatever negative comments you read before going here IGNORE! You REALLY have to be picky to find something wrong, and those people writing things went out of their way looking for things to find to complain about. If you are considering this resort, look no further and book because you won't regret it! Everywhere I travel to now I compare to this resort and none have come anywhere close!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank 811heatherd
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was my 2nd time to the DR and My sister's first...we had a great time. The Magestic Colonial Club was the best decision ever...we had a butler to help us with anything we needed we just needed to call. We actually had 2 butlers...Franklin and Juan Carlos. Both did a great job, but if I had my choice we would of had Franklin the entire trip! He was very kind, helpful, big smiles and warm welcome. At the resorts the employees work 12 days and then get 3 days off. So, our trip fell within the 3 days off timeframe. Note to self: ask for Franklin next time and make sure he's not off! lol. The room was beautiful and had an excellent view of the private swimming pool and swim up bars. The bali beds were always accessible and we never felt crowded. We did plan our trip in the off season so that played a part in never having to wait around for things. The best restaurants were the Matsuri and the Hispanola...Pedro and Deivi Bautista and Carlos Beleo and Hanal Mendez (chef) and Jesus Evangelista...were the best! They greeted us and made our dining experiences the best ever. I wanted platanos maduros and they made sure I got them. I am so grateful for their above and beyond hospitality. The cleanliness of the entire facility is impeccable and the process is flawless. There were always activities to keep you busy and to get involved. We never felt like we had to leave the grounds. The scenery from any angle was like a postcard. Sitting on the beach being served hand and foot while taking in the beautiful beach and cool breeze could not be topped. I would go back in heartbeat and take my entire family to enjoy the wonderful resort and spa...priceless!!! Gracias por todo y vamos a regresar pronto...cuidensen mis amigos...Familia Torrez

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Haverhill, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a nice resort! The staff is A++!! Our butler Tiger Woods can only be rated AAA+++!!!!
I read all the reviews about this resort and the resort is exactly as I expected. The room however didn't make me happy at all, more about that later.
Jose and Yasel have to be the hardest working employees that I saw at the Colonial Club pool bar!!! They made our so so visit a ray of sunshine!!!
Our room had two sinks in it. One sink had hot water but NO cold. The other sink had cold water but NO hot. The frosted door hiding the toilet area had to be open for you to do your business. After arriving Sunday and having "STOMACH PROBLEMS" Tuesday thru Friday, the door was open most of the time. Matter of fact during one bout of the "RUNS" the toilet clogged. OMG!!!!
While in the shower next to the toilet I moved the drain cap and then heard the toilet unclogged and flush. While taking a shower the ceiling leaked COLD water between the cracks of the tiles onto my back. After calling the front desk and the "plumber" arrived he took our bath towels and wiped the water up from the ceiling tiles. THANK GOODNESS that the cold water was coming from the water pipe and NOT the upstairs toilet. The "PLUMBER" also fixed the faucets at the sinks with a pair of VISE GRIPS, and a pair of wire cutters, he used as a hammer. Our safe didn't work, and we had to call several times to get that fixed. Easy fix with toilet paper that he jammed behind the circuit board. The sliding door to our swim up never locked, the butler's passage way NEVER LOCKED.
The resort is nice, the maintenance of the rooms need LOT'S OF WORK!!! I also want to say HOLA to Patricia, who tried to make our trip better.
Unfortunately we will not be returning to Majestic Colonial. There are just way to many other resorts that are actual 4/5 stars, unlike the Majestic which is a 3 on a good day.

Steve+Nancy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank MADERVP
Greenwood, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Loved the resort, beach and staff (for the most part) but the food is awful. We are not picky eaters by any stretch but 8 out of 10 of our group got very sick from the food and lost a day due to being in bed and in the bathroom. We read the reviews about the food and we were skeptical of them. We shouldn't have been, they were on point. Buffet never changes, restaurants close on certain days so we there really isn't 9 restaurants to choose from. 3 of them are in the same building and are only separated by a menu. Worst food I have EVER had at a resort. Japanese restaurant was good, but we were seated 15 min after reservation time and did not get food served until almost an hour later.
We had a couple in our party that stayed on north side of island in the past and they said food was much better there. Please be aware that the food will be terrible, no other way to put it. We saw multiple people who we could hear complaining of being sick.
Again, resort is nice and the Club Staff was very friendly, but due to the food service we can not recommend this resort and we will not return.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are nice. Our friends had one and they liked it. Wireless is not real good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple