Tripadvisor
Punta Cana
14,267 results
All reviews world cafe preferred club core zone entertainment team seaside grill benjamin franklin oceana restaurant barracuda bar explorers club coffee boy swim up bar coco cafe honeymoon suite adjoining rooms dominican republic wedding coordinator steak
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Me and boyfriend decided to book at Dreams Punta Cana because it was an amazing deal and we read positive reviews...well please consider what i am about to tell you before booking. There was some really bad things and some good while staying here.
THE BAD: The food at the resort is HORRIBLE. There is only one spot for breakfast and it is buffet style. There is the same buffet for lunch and one pizza place. Dinner places SUCK and considering I got food poisoning the 3 out of 5 days of my stay...I'd be extremely careful with what you order. The alcohol sucked..very bottom shelf and bartenders are very light with how much they use. The rooms are OK, we had to switch rooms because almost all of the rooms have conjoining doors that you can hear everything through and our neighbors were very loud. Another bad thing: workers try to upsell you on a room immediately as you are trying to check in and non stop bother you everyday while you are trying to relax because they want you to go on excursions and get massages and lobster dinners.
We did not fall for the upgrade to premium and we are very happy we didn't. Their rooms are barely different and the other other thing premium members get it middle shelf liquor and beds on the beach. Please do not fall for this scam.
THE GOOD: Big shout out to their entertainment group who does tons of daily activities everyday and does a great job with getting everyone involved. Some of the things we enjoyed was an egg toss on the beach, dart contest, dancing, and their shows every night in the theatre. "Benjamin Franklin" was hands down the best entertainer on the resort. He went out of his way to hang out with us everyday and make sure we were enjoying our stay (the days I wasn't bed ridden with food poisoning). The pool is AWESOME, every building has direct access to the pool no matter what building you are in and the beach is beautiful.

Room tip: Ask for a room without a conjoining door for it to be an enjoyable stay
Date of stay: January 2020
Wenny S, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Dear sammy246810

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your review. While we are glad to learn you loved our entertainment team and our amazing pool, we regret to lean you were dissatisfied with our food and alcohol options. Please know we count with 6 a la carte restaurants for dinners and an international buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We also have have our Oceana restaurant for breakfast and lunch as part of our Preferred Club privileges. A side from that our Trattoria Pizzeria is open from 12:00 p.m. for lunch for everyone each day, and we also have a pizza station at the World Cafe.

We are sorry to learn you were not feeling well during your stay, however, please keep in mind that the well-being of our guests has always been our main priority, and so we take every possible step to provide a safe environment, such as following the strictest hygiene procedures in the management and preparation of all food and beverages. As a matter of fact, we’ve been certified by Check Safety First for consistently maintaining high levels of health and safety standards in our daily operations.

We have share your comments and observations with our management team for proper follow up.

Reviewed January 20, 2020

My husband and I went to Dreams Punta Cana in January 2020, lived it!! The resort is older, but the grounds are incredible, the food was amazing, and the drinks were definitely yummy!! We loved the pool by the beach! Even had the pizza, it was soo good!! Definitely highly recommended, we will go back again!!!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank StacyH66
Wenny S, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear StacyH66

Thank you for staying at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa and providing us with your review. We are delighted to learn you had a great time with us and were very much satisfy with our service, facilities and amazing staff. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

econcierge.drepc@dreamsresorts.com
Dreams Punta Cana Resorts & Spa

Reviewed January 20, 2020

My fiancé and I traveled to Dreams Punta Cana from December 27, 2019 - January 5, 2020. We booked our trip very last minute and paid about $5,000 USD. Having paid this much we expected to get our monies worth but ended up disappointed. Before arriving at the property I read many reviews to learn just what we were in store for. A lot of them mentioned upgrading to the preferred status for a better experience. I immediately contacted the resort to learn more about it and was told the cost to upgrade to the preferred privileges is $70 USD per night per room or $100 USD per night for the Deluxe Family Room. The upgraded benefits included:
1. Personalized service at private Preferred Concierge Desk - We checked in at 2pm and the regular check in was completely empty. There was a wait for the preferred concierge.
2. Bar with premium drinks from 10:00 A.M to 11:00 PM - Premium alcohol is only offered at the preferred clubhouse. Each guest is allowed to carry out no more than 2 drinks at a time. The servers by the pool and the beach will not get you drinks from the clubhouse, so you have to stop what you are doing, dry off, get fully clothed and put on shoes to go grab your drink. Be warned you will be asked to leave the clubhouse if you are not dry, clothed, and wearing shoes.
3. Daily continental breakfast service - included simple muffins, breads, yogurt and fruit
4. Afternoon and evening hot and cold d’oeuvres - These finger foods came in handy while waiting to grab a drink refill. The chicken wings were the best food we ate all week
5. A la carte Paninis and Bruschetta Snacks menu from 4:00 pm to 10:30PM - Never saw the menu for these snacks, never saw anyone else eating them, it was not offered
6. Free of charge computer access - 2 desktop computers
7. Complementary DVD movie rental - I did see a large stack of movies behind the service desk.
8. Daily multilingual newspaper at our Preferred Club Lounge (In your room upon request) - we did not request it
9. Exclusive beach and pool towels for Preferred Members - Other than the color of the towels there is no difference in quality. The preferred members get orange towels and everyone else gets brown. If you are seated in the day beds which are for preferred members only you can ask a staff member to bring you towels as needed.
10. Upgraded Mini Bar Service - The biggest joke of all! The bar included 1 mini size bottle of Brugal, 2 Presidente beers, 2 waters, 2 sodas, and 1 bag of potato chips. The mini bar was never replenished.
11. Private a la cart Restaurant Oceana for breakfast and lunch - Breakfast was good. they have a good juice bar with about 6 options and also offer a small buffet for those who do not want to order a la cart. The eggs Benedict and Dominican eggs were both delicious. Lunch was less than good. We ate here on our first day and never went back during lunch. The food looked like it had been tossed onto the plate with little to no care. I had a Caesar salad that only included lettuce and dressing. I know these salads are pretty basic but i would have liked a few croutons and shredded cheese.
12. Nightly turn down service (From the second day). - Did not use this
13. Pillows Menu (Located in the Brown Information Book in your room). - Pointless
14. Room Service included 24 hrs. (Located in the Brown Information Book in your room). We ordered twice during our stay. the first time we asked if they could make tacos and were told yes. After waiting 45 minutes for it to arrive we didn't get tacos, instead we were given a steak wrap. The 2nd time we ordered the food was terrible. I asked for the grilled salmon with lemon and vegetables and my fiancé the Churrasco. What i received was not salmon but instead a white flaky fish covered in a salty orange sauce with white rice. The menu had no mention of a sauce. The Churrasco came over cooked and also covered in the same orange sauce. Needless to say, we did not eat it.
15. Private beach area with concierge assistance. Food and drink Services - This private area is not monitored therefore everyone, and anyone can grab a seat. I never laid in a sun bed because they were all being reserved by guests who came out at 7am and placed personal belongs on them before disappearing for half of the day.
Express check-out assistance - I did regular checkout as there was no line and the preferred had a line.
10 % Discount for our Premium VIP Beach Lounge Package - The Bali beds as they are called comes with a fee of $100 USD per person for the day. With that you get your choice of a bottle of alcohol, towels and waters.
25 % Discount for all SPA services and treatments. - Did not use
25 % Discount for all your purchases at our Logo Shop, when showing your Preferred Club Room key - a discount is always good.

So, for an additional $490 USD we upgraded our reservation to include the preferred club solely because we wanted access to premium drinks. Nothing else in the preferred package was worth the extra money.

If you are traveling as a couple or solely with adults, you might be interested in learning that there were ALOT of children everywhere. I have nothing against children but when I leave mine at home I do not want yours racing me to a seat at the swim up bar, splashing me, or taking 7 of the water rafts provided by the resort to build an island in the middle of the swim up bar pool. Also, note with the exception of the casino that is open till 2 am, there is nothing to do on the resort grounds after 11pm. The disco is currently under construction. In the meantime, the resort is improvising with a room no bigger than a standard home living room and some funny disco lights. I sat at the cafe outside the "disco" every night in hopes that at some point other people would show up but anyone that walked in and saw the sad seen left shortly after. So have a plan if you are looking to stay up late because the resort has no options

The World cafe (Buffet) has really good food. I enjoyed it more than the specialty restaurants. Dominican night was my favorite and the tacos that were available every night. On two separate occasions we tried to eat at the Japanese restaurant and the wait for a table was 2+ hours. If you want to sit at a hibachi table, you have to arrive by 5pm to put your name on the list because they only have 2 of those tables and they stop sitting there at 7pm. The restaurant was also closed one evening for no good reason at all. The French restaurant is not bad. The service was good and food as well.

The entertainment crew at the resort works very hard. They were there when I arrived at the pool at 9am and they were there when I walked out of dinner at 9pm. The do a good job with the nightly shows. Only thing I would have liked to see is more culture. Everything at the resort is very Americanized. The music is top 100 pop songs that play on the radio. You will hear the same music by the pool every day. It’s the same mix! Justin Bieber, Pitbull, Justin Derulo.
The resort grounds are very pretty and well kept. I think the landscapers are the hardest working people on staff. They climb the palm trees every morning to shave down any branches that might fall. They remove coconuts and trim bushes all day long in the sun. The hotel rooms however are so outdated. Our room smelled like a moldy basement and the bathroom vent did not work.

In closing, save your money and save yourself the aggravation. Do not visit this property.

Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank 257charissec
Reviewed January 20, 2020

The grounds make the hotel - they are beautiful and very well maintained. The pool was spot on especially if you have kids with you ( we did 3&5yrs) as it's only around 3ft deep.

Check in experience - bad start - we were shoved from pillar to post and the whole experience was drawn out and painful. Staff friendly enough, not particularly welcoming but not rude either.

We booked a preferred junior suite with hot tub (rm 6205). Good proximity to the beach and preferred club lounge/swim up bar. Room was nice but smelt musty and the little things let it down for eg, cracked picture frames on the walls. Housekeeping did a great job throughout our stay. One thing i could say is be careful when filling the hot tub. Our water ran brown like mud, two nights in a row. Reception weren't at all fazed by this.

The explorers club for the children ( from 3 yrs) was excellent. Stephanie and Carol were brilliant and the kids loved them. Open daily from 9 am however, after 11am parents not allowed so don't go to the hotel expecting your child to be able to use the water pirate ship and slide/playground whenever they like (we did!)

The water slide ship only open for 2 designated sessions per day and you can't just rock up with the kids for a play on the facilities. We felt a little mislead but thankfully our kids were both able to use this. Can't imagine the meltdowns if we had a younger child that wasn't allowed in.

Gym was great, well equipped and clean - shame it was run by a right misery (not the really tall guy, his mate) absolute gym police, following you around giving the death stare if you dare to grab a drink before you wiped down the treadmill - chill out my friend.

Beach was lovely & preferred club members had use of cabanas if they wished.

Food - Now this is where the hotel really lets itself down... Pretty awful. I don't think we had a hot meal the entire week. The buffet style restaurant was mostly a miss and the kids corner was so bad that not even my beige loving 5 yr old would go near it. Bread was stale as was most of the bakery section and most of the food looked unappetising and didn't taste any better. Sadly the Fruit and salad bar were our go to come the end.
Best of a bad bunch would be the Seaside grill that did steaks and (cold) chips but the most disappointing was the Japanese, don't get me started!

The hand sanitiser policy (before entering all restaurants) was a little disconcerting - a precautionary measure or some awful bug flying around the complex... remains to be seen.

Staff were nice, some more so than others. Meh.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

I loved the entertainment staff... Gonna miss Chocolate...He is amazing :) Would help you with dancing..teach you the steps, great teacher and the staff is very encouraging ...so friendly.I would recommend this resort to anyone with kids also.. great family atmosphere and they get the kids involved too on stage dancing.

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear christylJ2592LQ

Thank you for staying at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa and providing us with your review. We are delighted to learn you had a great time with us and were very much satisfy with our service, facilities and amazing staff, especially the entertainment team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

econcierge.drepc@dreamsresorts.com