“Excellent Value, Excellent Service, Lovely People.....”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at Dreams for the last 2 weeks of July. Having read many of the reviews on this site, we arrived with a certain amount of trepadation. So let me put some people at ease....

Hotel : Very impressive lobby area where you can enjoy tea/coffee and drinks in the afternoon and is a nice bar to relax at in the evening where you can observe the entertainment from a distance if that suits you. Grounds are beautiful and the so is the pool. The pool area nearest the sea is the most lively with most of the day time entertainment being held there. So if that's your thing, then head there. If not then the pool tends to be quietest in the 'lazy river' areas that ajoin the main pools.

Rooms : We had adjoining rooms in block 3 , the standard 'deluxe' rooms. They were spacious enough for us with a superking bed, small 2 seater sofa, balcony and bathroom. The airconditioning in the room was fine and actually we had to turn it down some nights. We did hear some complaints about 'leaks' in some bathrooms and I did get the impression that the hotel might have a problem with some of it's plumbing in the bathrooms. We did have a few door knobs missing off some of the drawers but overall we were very happy with the rooms that we had. For European travellers, if you have stayed in hotels in Greece, Turkey etc, then you wont have any problem with the rooms. Most complaints seemed to come from people from the US ( no offfence meant) .

Beach : The main beach is ok. Plenty of beds and shade. The sea was red flagged for a lot of our stay, due to high winds and possibly jelly fish. The sea is quite rocky. However, if you walk to the left of the main beach (if facing the sea) then the sea here is fine with little or no rocks so most people who did venture into the sea swam here.

Entertainment : If you like to be entertained then there is a very comprehensive entertainment program. The entertainment in the evening is a very good standard for holiday entertainment and the enterainment team are very talented and professional. If you are staying for 2 weeks then be aware the the entertainment program is repeated on a weekly basis so you will see the same shows twice . There is also a teenagers club which is part of the reason why we chose this hotel. The facilities available for the teenagers looked very good, but for some reason most teenagers used the club area to meet up but didn't seem to want to use many of the facilities available to them ( I guess you need to be a teenager to understand why this is the case). Anyway , if you do have teenagers, then it is a good place for them to make new friends. For adults there is a casino and disco after the main entertainment is finished. One thing that we did fing slightly odd is that by approximately 10:30 the hotel became very quiet so we presumed that most people from the US like an early night which is the opposite to the British.....

Food : Breakfast is excellent in the World Cafe . I recommend the omlettes which are cooked to your taste. If you want breakfast by the sea then you can also go to the Oceana . The A la Carte restaurants are a good standard. It's fair to say that some of the portions are not huge, but we found that by the end of the meal we had eaten enough. A special mention from us for the Japanese (it's a must for all at least once) and the Chinese which are both located within the same restaurant. We also found the French and Mexican to be very good. I personally don't like seafood, but I was told that the Oceana was also very good. A note to the gentlemen here - you must where long trousers in the Japenese, Chinese and French restaurants. In the day you have access to lovely food in the World Cafe or the BBQ's by the pool or on the beach which were also very good. You can also have 24 hr room service for snacks and drinks( if you run out of beer from your mini bar) as well as for breakfast , we found this to be excellent and service was always within 30 minutes.

Hygene : We found the hotel to be extremely clean. Our room was serviced twice daily and was always spotless. The flowers on the bed and sink in the evening was a nice touch which my wife and daughter loved. All restaurants provide you with anti-bacterier lotion for your hands on entry. We all did experince some stomach cramps and some people did suffer stomach upsets. I personally believe that if you travel to different parts of the world, you are going to get some sort of stomach issues. I have experinced worse in Greece, Spain etc, so I didn't see this as being a particular problem for us.

Mosquitos : We took Jungle formula spray and wristbands whcih we used every evening. We probably had one or two bites over the entire holiday so I would say that mosquitos weren't a major problem. We had quite a bit of rain and then sun., so it was ideal weather for mosquitos.....

Weather : As I mentioned we had a fair amount fo rain. We had a tropical storm for 2 days which wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise that for one or two days we had light rain all day , the type you get here in the UK ! Apart from that , we found that the best of the weather seemed to be from morning to mid-afternoon , when it would then begin to cloud over.

Service : I have saved the best till last. We found the service to be out of this world. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world, but I have never expereinced service like this. Everyone of the staff is polite, from the gardeners to the management. The staff work tirelessly to ensure that your every whim is catered for. You can have drinks served to you by the pool , in the pool and on the beach. When they ran out of towels by the pool due to the rain soaking all of them, when they became available, they even came to find us to give towels to us. The maids that we had were lovely and so happy , especially our evening maid who used to come in singing and dancing! The bar staff around the pool were amazing and worked so hard all day. The waiters in all of the restaurants were excellent and your glass was never empty. All of the staff were always smiling and to be honest it made me feel a little overwhelmed that these people who live in relative poverty compared to us in the Europe and NA, could be so happy , especially as they have to work away from their famillies for 12 days before getting 3 days off!! Be prepared to take plenty of US$ for tipping. No one expects or waits for a tip, but believe me, you will want to tip.

So from our experience I would highly recomend this hotel, based on the quality of the hotel itself, the food, service and lovely staff. A special mention goes out to Carlos who works in the Oceana(day) and Chinese(evening) and our evening room maid.

And finally 'it's my pleasure' and 'Excellente!' (thosewho have stayed will understand)

4  Thank petermagor
operacionesdrepc, Dreams Punta Cana at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Dear Mr. and Mrs.,
We appreciate your review and explicit observations which are extremely valuable to us. Thank you for sharing your experience of Dreams Punta Cana. I am pleased to read that you took pleasure in enjoying our food including the room service and you have considered it "excellent" as well as the service. It is our mission for every guest’s experience to be a memorable one.

As you mentioned, during your stay it rained a few days which causes our beach waters to change color. The flag alert you refer to was a tropical storm which was announced but didn’t affect us. Travelers can refer to pictures posted by other guests on this site. Many guests like you describe, enjoy the comfort of relaxing on our beach beds overlooking the sea, fabulous sunsets. I can also confirm that due our extensive fumigation schedules, we have no mosquito problems this rainy season which brings our guests at ease.

Our hotel has been awarded two consecutive years with the Cristal Award and we are looking to receive this year’s award as well. We strictly follow hygiene guidelines and have internal and external control measures in place to constantly oversee our quality service standards.
We thank you for your recommendation and tips to other future travelers.

I will send your regards to Carlos from the Oceana and Himitsu restaurant. Hope that you can return in the future.

Es Un Placer,

Operations Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (11,673)

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Our stay at Dreams Resort and Spa in Punta Cana was so nice, we are already dreaming of going back. First and foremost, I would like to commend the incredible staff of the Explorer's Club. My 6 year old was so eager to get there, she kept hurrying us to finish our breakfast each morning so we could take her to the club. Our first full day there, we spoke with other couples on the beach who had used their services before (we discovered that many people go back year after year), and they all spoke highly regarding the staff. Each evening, the hotel staff with leave a schedule of the next day's activities in your room, complete with the schedule for the kids at the Explorer's Club, and the staff really follows the scheduled activities with them. My daughter like it so much that she preferred spending time there to spending time with mom and dad at the beach. This made it incredibly nice for my husband and me, as we could spend some time together actually completing sentences, as anyone with a 6 year old knows is a practical impossibility. The staff would even take them to the World Cafe for lunch every day, as well as feed them dinner. There was a break in their time at club from 5 - 6:30, but I would try pick my daughter up around 3:30 to have a little down-time in our room before showers and dinner. Again, I cannot commend the Explorer's team of ladies enough. They are the number one reason we would return there.
As far as the food goes, we were very pleased. The only meal we didn't really enjoy was the one we ate at the French restaurant, but it may be because of what we ordered. Other patrons said that they really enjoyed it. The World Cafe is always a sure thing, and it is incredibly huge. They have a section in the middle that caters more to a child's palate, and you can find foods in the World Cafe that kids like: 3 or 4 kinds of cereal, french fries, pancakes, french toast, etc. You will be given a map of where the restaurants are all located when you arrive. Our favorite was probably the Mexican restaurant.
I did notice some complaints about having to walk to the restaurants. I don't understand that complaint, as you can walk from one end of the resort to the other in 5 minutes. When we go to Myrtle Beach, it takes us longer than that to get to our car in the parking garage, then another 30-60 minutes to drive to a restaurant in absolutely awful traffic, only to have to wait a while to get a table and then turn around and do it all in reverse - not relaxing at all. We didn't have to wait to eat the whole time we were at Dreams.
As far as the staff goes, they are all very friendly and helpful. The entertainment staff would also walk around visiting during the day to let everyone know what was going on during the night's entertainment. I would, however, try to avoid the vendors. They are not there every night, but when they are, they are a little high-pressure, and they will say, for instance, that they will only charge you $180 dollars instead of the $300 your stuff is worth, when it could be picked up in the US for $20.
All in all, it was incredibly beautiful and relaxing, and we hope to go back soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

We went on vacation to Dreams Resort in Punta Cana the second week of March, and it was everything we expected plus more. The drive from the airport seemed a little scary, I was kinda getting bummed because the drive was a hour long and seeing how the people lived there was really sad. Then we arrived to the resort, it was like walking into heaven. The resort was gorgeous and we walked up to check and and the staff greated us with a frozen drink and made us feel so welcomed. I went with my husband, 9year old son, and 1 year old daughter and we all had a really great time. After checking in they already had our luggage placed in our room before we got to the room. We were treated like royalty. The staff was outstanding in making sure everyone had fun and everyone was very pleased. The explorer club was OUTSTANDING. The women working in the explorer club was just amazing. My son is very shy and they made him feel so welcomed and he begged to go back to the explorer club every day. One night at the explorer club they walked him down to the beach area and they got to watch a movie on a big screen and make smores on the beach, he really thought that was a lot of fun. The water was very blue and weather was perfect. The beach area was great, not very crowded. Food was also very good. I cant make one complaint about Dreams, we are excited for another trip. Wheter your young or old there is something to keep you enternained at dreams.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Mommanurse24
operacionesdrepc, Dreams Punta Cana at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Dear Mrs. ,
Thank you for your comments about your experience at Dreams Punta Cana. It is a pleasure to read that you and your family found the property "gorgeous" and our staff made you feel like "royalty".
I am pleased that your son took advantage of the Explores' Club. This is a plus to the property. Parents can register their children from 3-12 years old in a series of daily activities ranging from Arts and Crafts to a weekly Campout by the beach.
As you mentioned, we have something for everyone. Hope you can return in the near future.
Best Wishes,

Irma J. Mojica
Operations Assistant

Reviewed August 1, 2010

We traveled with our children 13 and 4 and another couple of similar ages arriving for 7 nights. I elected to take a cab directly to the resort from the PC airport. No regrets as they are plentiful with air conditioning and no other stops (Believe me if i didn't like what I saw I wouldn't have hesitated to have them pull another forward). They quoted a reasonable flat cost up front without my needing to ask. Dreams is an hour away perhaps a little shorter and there is not any ooh and aww moments or places you pass that will inspire you to backtrack to later in your stay away from the resort. Arriving I had upgraded prior to the preferred club via Vanessa and we were met by Hector who took us from the lobby on a brief walking tour to the preferred club check in. The Resort is pretty, lushly landscaped, exotic- including groups of well maintained 3 story buildings with a few parrots, heron and flamingos thrown in. The club includes a lounge with available computers for use, Miami daily paper which for me provides an escape to enjoy early cofee without waking the rest of the family. The staff was excellente' at all times in and around the resort, Alexis made sure our room mini bar was well stocked at my request with drinks, chips and candy they had on hand, including 24 hr room service. We stayed in building 6 on the 3rd floor(no elevators) in a Junior Deluxe suite which was exactly as pictured. The king bed was comfortable with a twin sofa sleeper and they delivered a twin cot for our youngest child to sleep on. I reside in Texas so heat and humidity are the norm, your room, 2 restaurants and preferred club are air conditioned the rest of the complexes are open air. Plenty of comfortable sturdy padded pool and beach seating was available. The area around the swim up bar had lots of activities such as stretching, arobics, volleyball, water polo, dance lessons all directed by the entertainment team. Kudos to these folks for their energy and inspiration and not to forget the vacationers willing to get themselves up and take advantage of these things. It was much quieter up pool towards the main building for which they had outdoor ping pong, a floating inflatable ice berg for the kids, and additional bar, burger and ice cream location. For children from 2- 12 or so they have the explorers club, unfortunately there weren't many getting dropped off while we stayed. Our 4 and 8 yr old went one evening at 7:00-9:45 for dinner and a movie on the beach which included music, hula and limbo(they had a blast). For the 13 above set they have the core zone which offers billiards, archery, air rifle, fooseball, wii, basketball and tennis courts. In the evenings starting at 8:30 at the main building they passed out awards for daily tournaments and had ice breakers getting vacationing couples on stage for varoius other stunts. At 9 there own evening entertainment team took over with dance routines all of which you got a daily schedule of all goings on including the back up schedule in case of rain. Again excellente' to the dancers and all participants incuding the Karaoke. They have a small casino with slots, roullete, and 2 black jack tables for the gambler. We tried every restaurant Dreams has and enjoyed all, guidannce being Oceana for breakfast not lunch or dinner(great view at beach), Japanese Hibachi don't miss, get a personal pizza from pizza oven and the World cafe is typical buffet. Beach and pool lunch is available at the cook shacks consisting of good burgers, grilled pork, nachos, bbq chicken, potatos and cob corn. I had no gastro problems however as good as salads looked and unpeeled fruit appeared i stayed away as a precaution and used bottle water, I can confess to ice in some of my drinks. My history is a problem in Mexico so I do not have an iron stomach. Unexpectedly they have roaving photographers which you can schedule for beach pictures... they blow my pictures away and it's no obligation. My location rating is based on the area of the Dominican we traveled and not Dreams specifically. I would have liked to see inspiring vistas to explore clothed and given my skin a break. Would I stay at Dreams PC?.. absolutely, do I need to go back to the Dominican.. nope, I think I got it in one take. My Value grading is based on consumers premium Summer costs allowing a large range of destinations to choose from. Dreams PC value with its brethren rates a very good value.

1  Thank chris56065
operacionesdrepc, Dreams Punta Cana at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2010

Dear Mr. and Mrs.,

Thank you for the time put into your detailed description of your experience at Dreams Punta Cana. It of great satisfaction to read that you and your family had a great time and that you were able to take advantage of all our facilities including the upgraded amenities and services of thee Preferred Club. We value all our guests’ comments and appreciate you considering us of a "very good value" .

It is a pleasure to have hosted you and your family and, hope you can continue visiting other Dreams Resorts at other destinations in the future.

Best Wishes,

Operational Assistant

Reviewed August 1, 2010

First and foremost, this was a wonderful holiday, probably the best ever!

I can't understand the negative reviews some people have, the hotel was fantastic.

The fist thing you'll notice upon arrival is that the grounds beautiful and are meticulously kept. The grounds are spacious and getting from the lobby to the rooms is a lovely stroll, I don't think I even covered the whole grounds in my 10 night stay. The flamingo's are a lovely surprise and are even pretty tame if they sense you have any bread! I nearly stepped on a tarantula outside my room, but for the eagle eyes of my fiance! A nice surprise, that.

The rooms admittedly did smell a musty upon arrival, but can that be prevented given the intense heat and extreme levels of humidity? The rooms were very clean, and well kept by the fantastic maids who never made sure that we were low on towels. She even used to present our towels on the bed as a love heart, which was a lovely touch. The rooms A/C was superb. The room was a mid afternoon safe haven for when the heat peaked and we needed some cool comfort. The bathroom was spacious and very well equipped, too. The rooms fridge was also replenished daily, packing plenty of refreshments in the fridge and the safe was very handy. The kings size bed was also awesome, often felt like I was sleeping in a different are code to my partner though, it was that big. No complaints really from the rooms, it was very pleasant spending time in and the bed were super comfy.

The food. Wow. The breakfast had a plentiful selection, but it was pretty obvious it was geared towards the American market, especially when they have doughnuts and lots of sugary pastries at breakfast. The omelets were the highlight though, plate up the ingredients and have a the legend on the right hand side of the World Cafe make it up in front of you. Lunch mainly consisted burgers and hotdogs at the beach and pool grills which were fab. You could sine in the World cafe and Oceana, but I never felt the need too as the exterior grills were that good. The night time dining was the real tour de force though. I had one mediocre meal at the Oceana seafood, which was pretty uninspiring and the World Cafe at dinner was run of the mill all inclusive stuff. The others though, were stunning. The French, Mexican, Oriental, and grill were first class. I had one of the most beautiful cuts of fillet steak in the French I've ever eaten, cooked to perfection how I like it, blue. The service in all is second to none, although special mentions must go to Ricky in the Mexican and Julian in the French. They were two of the most genuine, hardworking people you could ever meet. The ambience and decor in all the eateries were absolutely spot on.

I can't understand the complaints about the service at the bar, it was fantastic. Having seen the way some American guests treated the bar staff, I'm not surprised some would have got some slow service. Some of the treatment was quite disgusting, shouting "oi" and clicking your fingers at a barman whilst he is busy with another guest is not acceptable behavior, not where I'm from anyway. The choice of alcohol was pretty impressive, considering it was all big brand stuff. The measures were huge, often triple or quadruple the measures of alcohol you'd get in the UK. The bar staff were always happy to point you in the direction of a new cocktail or spirit to try. Again, they were first class.

Entertainment was another big plus. The guys all worked really hard and were ever present during the day, getting people up and involved in the numerous activities. Some real characters in there, too, Wilbur and Tupac being the obvious mentions, getting people in the fabulous pool. Only one minor gripe with the pool was that it never got any deeper than 3ft, although perfect for lazing around and wasting the afternoon at the pool bar. The night time shows were also great, although were repeated on a weekly timetable. However, that can't detract from the effort and level of performance given every night.

I though the beach was gorgeous to be honest. The area inhabited by Dreams residents wes kept very clean and the sand was a lovely golden/yellow colour. The beach was populated by plenty beds, perfect for gazing at the gorgeous ocean.

Only slight gripe is that the night time disco is mainly inhabited by some underage, obnoxious teenaagers (16/17) that clearly can't handle their booze.

Other than that this was a perfect trip. Like I've said before, the hotel is top class, but the workers make it that bit special. Fancy pools, cocktails,spas and a la carte restaurants would be nothing without the fabulous staff that are genuine, hardworking people that take pride in what they do and give the hotel the right to it's Dreams name tag.

I will certainly be coming here again in the future, thanks again to all the people that made it a wonderful and unforgettable holiday

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RHarper87

Dear Mrs.,
Thank you for your comments about your experience at Dreams Punta Cana. We are glad to read that this was the best vacation ever and that you had a wonderful and unforgettable holiday. It is very rewarding to read that you enjoyed your room’s accommodations, grounds, most of our restaurants, bars, entertainment and staff.
It was a pleasure to have you visit us and hope you return in the near future.

Best Regards,
Asst. of Operations

Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband and I just returned from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. We had a wonderful time and plan to return in the future. I loved everything about this place.. Good service, good food, and well worth the price. The staff and local people were so nice and friendly. The only problem we had was internet which we paid for but never worked.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2010

our 4th annual family to trip to Dreams Punta Cana, once again we had a wonderful time. Everyone was pleased with rooms, food, entertainment and hotel staff....we already booking our trip for next year....can't wait to return....It was perfect for all...everybody had something to do and were very pleased...we were a group of 19 ....

1  Thank criklover