“Amazing Hotel, Delicious food and Great People!!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 26, 2009

To start off we were a group of 3 girls who stayed at Dreams Feb. 27 to March 6. It was a great vacation from the time we arrived until we got on the bus to leave. When we arrived, we were greeted with the friendly staff, a nice cold cloth and a glass of champagne. Check in was quick, by the time we walked to our room our luggage was there.

The buffet and all the A la Cartes were amazing, the food was always delicious, I was so amazed that everything tasted “normal” even the French Onion soup in the French Restaurant, the fajitas at the Mexican were yummy!! – My favorite thing was the deep fried donuts for breakfast!! The staff everywhere was always friendly and very helpful from the entertainment staff, bar tenders, maids and office workers. Whatever we needed, they were there to get it for us. I especially loved the 24hrs room service because you never know at 4am when you want nachos and hot dogs!! haha

During the day they have tons of activities, if you are the type of person who gets bored just lying in the sun. The nightly shows were ok, we didn’t really watch any of them except the night they did karaoke – that was the best one of all!! The beach was very nice, and their pool is amazing. – For those of you who complain about the beach and pool being dirty, try placing your blame on the other tourists staying at the resort who leave their garbage everywhere!!!! Yes, you are on vacation but geez, have some curtsey and throw out your own garbage instead of leaving it lying around for it to blow into the pool or on the beach!

Of course we did have a few problems – no resort is perfect, our phone didn’t work for the first 3 days ( but luckily there are public phones in the lobby to use anyway), and I was sick for 2 days – due to what I don’t know – but it’s vacation we didn’t let anything bother us – we went with the flow – like most Dominicans do! There isn’t much night life, the disco at night was usually fairly empty, but we didn’t let that bother us either, instead we made the party! All in all, I found this to be a GREAT resort, I miss it and I am already planning to go back next year!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank sarahm02
Write a ReviewReviews (11,681)

Reviewed March 25, 2009

Its a beautiful resort and the staff are very friendly and work extremely hard. Food is really good and the resort itself is very nice. So whats wrong with it?
Well the rooms are extremly basic and have roaches and mold. The sand on the beach was dirty and we found broken glass. 3/4 of the beach had so many rocks at the bottom, my husband cut his foot twice....only one section at one end was clear of rocks and seaweed at the bottom. Over an hour from the airport. Check in only at certain times so even though we got there at 2pm we had to wait an hour to check in. No reservations at the Al a cartes made it difficult because we were there with 5 other couples, so we could never all sit together, so we at at the buffet all the time which was fine cause the food was better there anyway.
Would I go back again.....only if it was dirt cheap....otherwise spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank phylicia1
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Where to start???? This place was a ton of fun! We are a family with 3 teenage boys so they were looking for something to do and we were looking to relax. We found both at Dreams. I wonder, after reading some other reviews, if we were at the same hotel!

As far as the rooms go, yes they are small. We stayed in the prefered club (building 7) which was great, because we could run in there from the beach or the pool for a quick drink or bathroom break. They also have two computers in there that are free for prefered club members so we could get a quick e-mail check. Margarita, in the prefered club, was a jem, she organized several golf outings for us (much cheaper than advertised!). Also the bartender Bertilio in there was great also, they really work to make you feel comfortable!
But back to the room, we had 3 rooms in the prefered club and had no problems at all. Like I said, the rooms are small and very typical of other caribbean rooms we have had, but after all, we didn't spend much time in the room. One of our rooms had several mosquitos, but not a big deal, just take some deet. We kept our valuables in the safe and had no problems. The maid service was timely and they did a nice job, we were tickled at the towel art! We did leave a $1 per day for them but you don't have to.

We thought the food was great! The Bordeaux was by far the best, don't miss it! The boys enjoyed the World Cafe and would have been happy to eat at that buffet every meal! We did try all other al a carts except the japenese steak house, we got there at 6:15 and they had already seated the first group and we didn't feel like waiting for the second round, but they do have a chinese restauant with in the same room that was very good. We thought that was the next best place and it had very large portions. We enjoyed every meal and never felt rushed. Make sure you go to the Oceana and have some coffee after your meal, coffee boy in very entertaining.

The pool is unbelievable and the beach is great. If you are looking for a great pool and lots of activities, this is your place! There are a few vendors just outside the beach area, but they leave you alone if you let them know you are not interested. There are no rocks on the beach, but some corral in the water that you should watch out for. Just go far to the right of the resort in the empty beach area for some great body surfing water! The beach to either side of the resort is unkept and trashy, but the staff at Dreams does a great job in keeping the beach clean at the resort. As for the pool, it is 3 feet deep everywhere and the swim up bar is fun. The staff cleans the pool every morning and we thought it was very clean. Although if you want a chair by the pool, you have to get out there by 7:30 or so as people start saving chairs and some don't mind moving your things!

We were there for 1 week and only saw vendors within the hotel grounds one evening and thought it was kind of interesting to look through their things. They were no bother!

The evening movies outside were great, we stayed up and watched at least 2 of them!

So I had to save the best for last, and that is the entertainment team! They are incredible!!!! They have activities on the beach and at 2 stations at the pool area during the day and then they put on shows during the evening! Don't miss the shows, they are truely amazing. I just cannot say enough about how hard these people work! They are so personable, they seem to genuinely want to get to know you! We were totally taken up with Julio, 50 cent, Melkis, Usher, 2pak, and Usher. Do yourself a favor and look them up, it will add so much to your vacation.

Make sure you get a smoothie from Ambar...the sweetest lady ever. She makes smoothies in the world cafe and cuts up fresh fruit after 11 in the middle pool area...well worth it!

Take a walk to the plaza about 5 minutes to the right outside the resort. They have t-shirts and such. We took a foam baseball the boys were throwing around and the vendors started a baseball game with us. Fun!

Golf was good, white sands was the least expensive course and 40 minutes away, but Roco Ki was incredible and only 30 minutes away.

All in all, it was a great vacation. The resort in my opinion is 5 star, minus the rooms.

6  Thank sportznutz
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I am a 20 year old college student, and I just recently went to the Dreams Punta Cana Resort for my spring break. I went with my parents, and that week was the most fantastic week of my life! First of all, the staff and service there was amazing, the people who work there work so hard, and they all go out of their way to make you feel so special. Everyone who worked there was so nice, it made me want to cry at time, because I know they work for practically nothing. The guests at the resort were all very friendly, I met a group of people my age that were there with their parents. It was mainly couples and well-behaved kids with their parents. It is very easy to make friends at this resort and meet new people. Everything was impeccably clean, and they restaurants were amazing. The only restaurant we didn't go to was the japanese restaurant. The seating times for this restaurant were only at 6:30, 7:30, and 9 oclock, so if you want to get in, make sure you arrive about 5:45. My favorite rest. was the mexican restaurant. The disco was fun at night, but it is more for younger people. I loved the disco, but my parents didn't care for it too much. the entertainment staff is AMAZING! Make sure you take time to view the shows at night and do the activities during the day. The entertainment staff is the best that I have ever seen. We are definately going back to this resort next year! Also, I got professional pictures taken there, they turned out beautifully!

4  Thank nic0le88
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We've just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks at the most wonderful place ever!!! Everything about our holiday was perfect. From the moment we arrived at Dreams we were in heaven. Nothing the whole time was too much for any of the staff who always greeted you with a friendly smile. I'm still getting over the fact that the food was amazing anything you could possible want to eat and even fab for fussy eaters like my 4 yr old. I recommend Pizza at Lunch time in the world kafe!! My kids loved the Explorers club and adored the team that kept them entertained all day and night long, never have i known kids reps work so hard, they were amazing!!
Everything was clean people must have worked 24/7 to keep it so spotless, hand on heart i can not fault the place.
Treat yourself to a massage in the spa, relaxed me totally for the day and again polite friendly staff.
The best family holiday we have ever had. The only thing now is deciding just how quickly we can save up to go back!!!
DREAMS PUNTA CANA certainlly lived up to it's name. A holiday of what Dreams are made of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6  Thank WestYorkshireAmanda
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I based my review on what the resort said they would do. I now retract that review. Long story short, my husband now fell deathly ill during the ceremony four minutes 38 seconds later, I catch him as he passes out from a parasite contacted at the resort. One and 1/2 days later and 2000.00 out for charges that had to be paid immediately, 473.00 due to the resort before they would even transport him, we return to the resort where we are met my Miquelina and the day manager assuring us they would refund 702.01 for the upgraded room and wedding package. I was also told this while they had my husband in the doctor's office at the resort, because the resort felt so bad for us and what we were going thru. Do not believe them!!!! I have been fighting with them since September to honor what they said they would do and they are now lying saying they said nothing of the sort. I will never stay at another AM resort, and I suggest if they say they are giving a refund, get it in writing and make them show proof of doing so.

Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Where do I begin......
Rooms: We had a Junior Suite with an ocean view. This is basically a Honeymoon Suite. The room was nice with a King size bed, sitting area, nice bathroom, dressing area and a jacuzzi on the balcony. We were travelling with our two children so were surprised to realize the couch only pulled out to a single bed! Our daughter ended up sleeping with us all week. The room was clean and our fridge filled on a fairly regular basis - if it wasn't we just helped ourselves to water and juice from the maid carts. The fridge wasn't very cold but we have come to expect this in a tropical location.
Maid Service: Our first day there we had items stolen from our room. Nothing serious - my daughters pink bunny and a full bag of suntan lotions - none the less this made us partiularly cautious all week with hiding things and stuffing the safe everyday. We didn't accuse anyone right away thinking maybe the items were misplaced. The next day my daughter left a large Fisher Price white board on the bed with a note: Bunny missing, if you find this please bring it back and she drew a picture of her missing bunny. Later our son went up to the room to get something and the maid was in the hall next to our friends room (8304) having just cleaned our room (8303). He glanced at her cart and noticed our daughter's white board was on the bottom of her cart along with the packaging it came in (which we had put in the garbage). She noticed our son and stared at him, he stared back then looked down at the white board. She said "Oh", then handed him the board. After that incident we decided to contact the hotel, we spoke to 3 Managers and NOTHING was done! A couple of days later the same maid was still cleaning our room. Our son ran into her again outside of our room and noticed she had a bag from the hotel lobby shop with a box of new cigars in it. He came back and told us. I went up to our room and also had a look in her cart. The bag of cigars were there behind a towel. We had not purchased cigars but thought someone should know about this. We went to the concierge and they sent the supervisor of housekeeping to check it out. We were later told that they did not find anything in her cart, and she did not steal anything from our room (because she said so), and that she found the white board in room 8302 and was taking it back to us! What a joke!!!! They were basically calling us liars. I told them if this wasn't resolved to our satisfaction it would be reported on a website and the concierge laughed at us. I said of course you don't care, as you do not own the hotel..... I wonder what the owner of this company would think?
I asked that the maid stop cleaning our room immediately. We got another maid and she was adorable.
I also asked to speak to the General Manager and they said they would call him and set up an appointment. I never once heard from them!
Pool: Beautiful. Guests hog the floating loungers sometimes even putting them under them when lying on their chair!! Staff should be making sure this does not happen.
Beach: Beautiful. You can walk a long distance either way. The only negative here is once you are off the resort beach there is garbage everywhere! So sad to see people doing this to their beautiful country.
We never once used the water sports which is unusual for us. I went over once to ask for a Boogie Board and they told me that was the hotels responsibility, they were hired by the hotel and where separate. Then he said he would sell me one for "cheapie, cheapie", needless to say my daughter did not go boogie boarding.
Spa: Lovely.
Food: Awful! The Mexican is the worse. The Grill mediocre. Oceana is okay. With the a la cartes the service is way too fast. It is like they are trying to get you out of there as fast as they can. We would still be eating our appetizers when our main meal would be sat down in front of us. The buffet is typical and you get tired of it very quickly. This pizza is nice and you can get it to go. The staff at the restaurants are AMAZING! There is definitely a language barrier but we expect that in a foreign county, actually find it quite interesting - you learn the words you need to speak very quickly.
Room Service was a nice touch and we ordered every morning. The service was great.
Souvenier Sellers: There are locals selling souveniers every second night at the hotel (in and outside). The cigar sellers are right outside of the World Cafe smoking cigars and blowing it in your face! Disgusting! The others are bothering you to buy from them and giving the kids necklaces, then if you don't buy from them they are mad. Everything I purchase there was OVERPRICED and I usually always got it 75% less than they were asking. As far as I am concerned, they are there taking advantage of you. I am not even sure the items are from Dominician. It looks like most of it was shipped in cheap from China. I was looking at a red necklace and the seller said, you like Red Coral, I said yes. He said this is good coral, look (he took his lighter and pretended to be lighting it (real stone does not burn), of course it did not catch on fire). I didn't buy it, but on further inspection realized it was made of those beans they paint and string on a necklace!!!! The ones you are not allowed to bring home. BEWARE! If I were hotel management I would personally inspect everything sold at the hotel as local craft and advise the sellers to NOT abuse the guests.
Entertainment: The team is awesome!
Front Dest: Always not their fault! Our van was supposed to pick us up at 7pm for the airport. At 8 pm I went to ask the concierge if our flight was delayed. She said she did not know but would call Sunwing for us. The Sunwing Rep said yes it was and pick up time was changed to 9:30. This was FAXED to the hotel Front Desk but NO-ONE did anything with the fax! It would have been very easy to (1) take the fax to the Sunwing counter and post it, (2) phone us and the only other couple this affected, (3) give the fax to the Bellman, who had no idea what was going on, OR (4) give the concierge a copy so they could get in touch with us! Simple, Plain, CUSTOMER SERVICE! The Front Desk said, "it is not up to them to contact us about the change, this is Sunwings problem".
They charge 10% at the hotel to exchange money!!! There is an ATM and Bank down the road - the Bank exchanged our money for no charge.
Teen Sport Zone: The hotel should have 1 liability form the parents sign for the whole week instead of having to go to the Sport Zone EVERYTIME your child wants to rock climb, ride the bull, or go on the bungee tampoline! This is just plain ridiculous!
Bars: Drinks are made pretty sloppy. It is almost like the bartenders think it is "free" so, who cares! Problem is NOTHING IS FREE WE HAVE PAID! I was also disappointed that they did not make there daiquiries, pina coladas, banana mamas, etc. in the blender from scratch. They use premixed in a machine - NOT A 5 STAR! Use fresh fruit and ingredients - what a difference this would make.
If the resort could get some of these things corrected it could be an awesome Family Resort.
We have travelled extensively and I research resorts for a long time before I decide on them. I really didn't expect the experience we had. We are both 44 yrs old and have two children aged 14 and 10. The children have been travelling since they were born and interestingly enough were somehow more critical of this resort than we were.
Have you ever heard of Mystery Guests?????
Maybe a few english speaking North American consultants could also help out??
Some of these things may be small but they all add up........

6  Thank BossyG