“Awesome time!”

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Awesome time!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

OLA and EXCELLANTIE!

First I want to say this was our 1st time to Punta Cana and my 1st post on Trip Advisor
I am going to 100% honest

The Resort:

Fantastic! The grounds are kept immaculate and safe.

The entire staff was fantastic and were amazed how friendly they all were, bending over backwards to help

Also there really no language issues

Plus not one time did they push the" time share" and no one try to sell us stuff on the beach.

Ramón the front desk manger upgraded us right next to the beach for our anniversary which worked out perfect!

His staff is the awesome! Not one issue checking in or leaving.

Anthony Rodriquez and Anderson De La Rosa ( our favorite bartenders were great!!) Every drink we had meet out expectations and never ever waited long to be serviced!

Sharon the hostess at the main restaurant is the best! She always took time to talk, laugh, and made us feel like great! None better!!!!

Food:

For an all inclusive resort we thought the food was great.

The Oceana was our favorite. Food and service was great!
Never had ONE single issue with the restaurants here.

Pool was awesome, clean and had plenty of chairs and towels provide daily.
Beach:
If you are looking for the" soft bright white" this is not the place. It was great but not like the pictures you see on the web. The sand is soft and light brown and the water is clear
Be aware that the currents are strong!!!
The beach does get crowded but the hostess's serve you well.

Rooms:
No complaints here. Room were plenty big and maid service was great!
Overall and my opinions:

I have been reading all the posts on Trip Advisor at the dates we were there and have come to the conclusion the PEOPLE like to complain about anything and everything!!!

WE LOVED IT!!! and would DEFINLTY come back and HIGHLY recommend the Dreams Resort and Spa in Punta Cana

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandtrap2014
Hector T, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us know about your recent stay with us. It means a lot to know that for your first time in Punta Cana you were to choose us as your home away from home.

We are filled with joy to know that all of our staff members, as well as the food, entertainment and accommodations all came together to make this for a great vacation.

As a service oriented company, we strive to provide our guests with excellent customer services, doing anything we can to meet and exceed their expectations.

Whenever you decide on coming back to us, please let us know. We would be honored to have you among us once again.

Always at your services and wishing you an excellent day,

econcierge.drepc@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,937)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at the Dreams Punta Cana with a big wedding party of over 40 family and friends. Not only the service was more friendly and excellent than anywhere I ever went, but the place is a true paradise. A special mention to the entertainment team of Carlos, Shaggy, Ne-Yo, Mr. Volanta and the beautiful Yohana, without which my stay would have been way less fun. As they say, my time there was "excellenté"!

Room Tip: There are no elevators in the suites buildings, so first floor rooms are recommended in case of disa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Algardine
Dear guest,

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your vacations and that the interaction with our staff made your trip.

Thank you very much for letting us know about your wonderful experience and we hope it repeats again very soon.

Whenever you decide to honor us with your presence, please let us know.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at dreams in the preferred club room. This was a great resort. The food was wonderful although I did have some 'stomach issues' and I'm a person who rarely has these kind of issues. The pool is the best one I've ever seen at a resort. It seems to go on forever! The chairs in the pool were my favorite part. The swim up bar was wonderful and these drinks are strong! Not like drinks at other all-inclusive resorts I've stayed at. The staff was fantastic, always doing everything to make your visit better. The lunchtime tacos by the pool were delish! The beach was incredible!!! Even cabanas in the preferred club beach area. Very well maintained with beach activities. In fact, the entire resort is beautifully and meticulously maintained. I thoroughly enjoyed my spa pedicure at the spa. My boyfriend did the included windsurfing and enjoyed it. There is local shopping that is only a 5 min walk from the resort. We got some cigars, coffee and vanilla from these shops for a good price.

Although we were in the preferred club upgrade room, the room wasn't great. Not bad, just not great. But we weren't spending much time in the room anyway so it wasn't a big deal. And I did see what other reviewers talked about with the bad smell coming from the toilet and shower drain. But I just assumed this was the local water and nothing the hotel could do about it.

An issue I had with this resort was that people come to the pool or beach early and leave their towels to reserve their empty chairs for hours and hours on end. It states clearly in the daily 'sundial' that this is not tolerated and that these belongings will be collected after 15 minutes but this is NOT upheld. We are early risers so we didn't have an issue getting chairs but if you wanted to change location mid day everything was taken. If you make this your rule you need to uphold it so that other people can use the chairs.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emily h
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time taken to let us know about your recent stay. It fills us with joy to know that you had an overall nice time and also want to thank you for letting us know about the points you considered should be corrected or improved.

As a service oriented company, we always strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service, and it is with comments like that that we can continue meeting and exceeding our guests' expectations.

Thank you very much for your review and we wish you an excellent day.

Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our first trip to Punta Cana. We were greeted with champagne and cool towels upon arrival. Check-in was very easy The resort grounds/pool/beach area are beautiful. The rooms need to be updated, but they were clean and comfortable. The food was good - plenty of restaurants to choose from. The staff was exceptional; especially James, Stephanie and Eddie Murphy from the entertainment team. There were daily activities as well as a nightly show in the theater. Junior at the Rendezvous Bar in main lobby was "excellente." We had a wonderful time and would go back again.

Room Tip: Building 1 is closest to the Ocean front.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us and future travelers know about your recent stay.

It makes us happy to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your vacation and that you would choose us once again as your vacation destination in the Caribbean.

Whenever you decide to honor us with your presence please let us know.

Remaining at your services,

London, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at Dreams Punta Cana with a group of 8 people. Prior to leaving I spent quite a bit of time reading reviews of the resort. Doing so left me wondering whether we were going to enjoy our time and whether we should have picked a different resort. While there are a lot of "great" reviews on this site, the negative ones were very strong and the people did not seem to be illogical. Having said that, I arrived at DPC with a very tainted view of what it was like and what would happen.

I was very wrong. And I have a hard time understanding how some of the negative reviews could be true. Here is why...

First off, we did not pay extra for the Privilege option. We were just normal everyday guest.

now..

1) The staff we beyond amazing. Extra tip or not, they never failed to go out of their way to make sure you had what you wanted (I won't use the word 'need' because lets face it, none of us truly NEED an all-inclusive vacation - its just a wonderful blessing!). There wasn't a time that I had to wait a long while to get what I had asked for, nor was it ever wrong despite the number of guests and requests the staff had going on at any given time. The Food & Beverage staff are very attentive and fun, both at the restaurants as well as at the pool/beach bars.

2) The rooms were great. They were not over the top luxury, but were very clean and very comfortable. Again, we didn't get Privilege rooms and so cannot comment on those. However the normal guest rooms were great. In our room was my wife, myself and our 10 month old daughter. and we had more than enough room for all of our stuff and our daughters, as well as the crib. The fridge was stocked daily and our room was cleaned spotless. The cleaning staff were amazing! We managed to get a ground floor/walk out room due to my wife being pregnant and the infant (also due to our one night stay at Zoetry - See the "TIP" section below) and it was great. We were able to use our baby monitor system at the resort. This allowed us to still sit at the pool (10 ft from our room) and listen in on our daughter napping. The cleaning staff was also amazing and very accommodating. Because of our daughter's naps, the room could only be cleaned during certain times. We approached the cleaning staff and explained and they very happily obliged with the times that we suggested even though it was a hassle for them.

3)The evening events were fabulous. I have been to other resorts where they seemed cheesy or lame. Not so here. Please do yourself a favour, and attend them - especially the circus one. The events staff and those involved are extremely talented and and blew me away.

4)Despite what other people say, the beach truly is nice. It is soft, and not rocky. Yes, you might be slightly limited in your ocean swimming (which is for your own safety), but you can walk for a LONG time (an hour +) on the beach before you hit any type of "rocky beach".

5)The food was AMAZING! We went to a number of the restaurants and always had great food - it was never cold or even warm - it was always freshly cooked and piping hot. Some of the reviews stated that the food at the buffet was cold - not so. The only plausible way that your food would be cool or warm when you sat down after the buffet would be if you loaded your plate and then walked around the buffet looking at what else is there. If you logically check it out before you load your plate then your food will still be hot when you sit down. As a Food Safety Consultant, I am always leery going places where I am unsure of that the standards and requirements are for fear of food borne illness (e-coli, salmonella etc.). No one in my group got sick from the food and we ate everything, and had salads (washed with water) and we had drinks with ice in it. There was only one time that I noticed one of the chefs was using a set of utensils to flip cooked pieces of beef and chicken and then going back and using the same utensil on raw beef/chicken. I only saw it once and did not see it happen again (as i checked at every lunch).

The italian restaurant was by far my favourite. I had the beef tenderloin in a red wine sauce and it was incredible. By far one of the best pieces of beef that I have ever had.

6) This is a great place for a family. There is lots to do; a large pool; a ton of pool chairs and beds - NOTE: you do not need to get up early to reserve pool loungers. There are plenty and we EASILY found some for our whole group after breakfast at 8am. So there is not need to wake up at 6am just to save chairs.

All in all, I would definitely go back to this resort. It is lovely, the people are lovely and it was a great time.

Lastly, and this was very important to me - They treat their employees and staff very well. I asked some of the people and was told that they have full benefits which enables them and their family to get braces and see doctors and get extra (over and above) healthcare. This really made me feel better.

I think thats all. Sorry for it being so long

Room Tip: If, upon checkin, they offer you to go to Zoetry for one night, after which you will get a ground fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Cameron K
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to inform us of your recent trip and the very thorough and objective review you have posted. I am sure every future traveler that reads it will find it very informative and instructive.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your vacations and that you would come back to us. Whenever you decide to do so, please let us know; it would be our pleasure to receive you once again in your home away from home.

Should you need any further assistance, do not hesitate on contacting us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The staff at the resort are very friendly. They always say hello (well "ola") when walking past. There is drink service at the pool! I rarely had to go to the bar myself. Leave your travel mugs at home - the drinks are huge and delicious! The buffet had a great variety and for the most part the food was great. We ate at the seaside grill (steakhouse) and were a bit disappointed with the quality of the food. The grounds are stunning and the pool is well maintained. Lots of good entertainment every night. The kids club (explorer club) was by far the best feature. We had a very hard time pulling our kids out of it! The staff are genuinely good with kids and it shows. My only real complaint was that the tv remote didn’t work in my room and that the showers only have a half-wall so the water goes everywhere unless you shower strategically.

Room Tip: Book in house number 9 - it is close to the pool and the buffet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 297SarahH
Hector T, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us know about your recent stay.

We are happy to know that you had a great stay and that your children also had a great amount of fun at the Explorer's Club.

Your comments regarding the areas of improvement have already been forwarded to the corresponding departments and corrective actions will be taken in order to continue meeting and exceeding our guests expectations.

If you ever decide on coming back, do not hesitate on contacting us. It would be our honor to have you among us once again in a near future.

Courtice, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is my first Trip Adviser review - I rely heavily on them when I travel so thought in fairness I should be returning the favour for others....

I traveled from Jan 28 to Feb 4 2014 and stayed at Dreams Punta Cana with my sister and my two daughters (ages 5 and 8). We had connecting rooms - 9108 and 9109. The room location was good for us as we were very close to the pool, lobby, Explorer Club and main restaurant. It was a bit more of a walk to the beach (7-8 minutes - nothing major!) but if you are a beach person you might want to request something a bit closer to the beach.

Positives:

• No resort bracelet which was nice as my kids hate wearing them!
• No towel card - unlimited towels all day long
• Beach and pool side drink service all day - very frequent too( approx every 30 mins!)
• Room service included in package price
• Attitude of staff - everyone was positive and friendly - a real pleasure to interact with!
• The Explorer Club - I was so nervous about leaving my children in a different country with caregivers that didn't know. I really resisted putting my girls into the club until after we had been at the resort for quite a few days and the first time I tried it for a couple hours after dinner for the kids movie night and disco. My daughters had a blast. They both wanted to return to the club the next day. I liked that when you signed your child into the club that you are given a club phone and if at any time there is an issue or your child wants you to come and pick them up then the Club calls your phone and you go get them. The last couple of days at the resort we got into a great routine/rhythm where we would all go eat breakfast as a family, and then go swimming for an hour or so. When it was time for a swimming break, I would take my girls to the room, get a dry bathing suit on them, put all new sunscreen on them and then a sundress on top and take them over to the kids club for 3-4 hours. I would pick them up around 4 or 5 and take them swimming one more time and then go get ready for dinner as a family. Many other Parents utilized the Club to go to the a la carte dinners sans children as the club will take the kids to dinner. I can't speak highly enough of the Explorer Club - especially Maria, Jennifer and Carmen - my girls LOVED these amazing ladies!
• Food - In fairness I should state that I am not a fan of buffets, but I did find it very good overall for a buffet in terms of selection and quality - for a buffet :)
• Felix - the Master of Ceremonies with the Entertainment team - tons of energy and charisma - very fun!

Polishing Points:

• The Tuesday night Dance show - I found it too risqué for children (thong, bumping, grinding, thrusting). I left around 15 minutes into the show and I saw a number of other "looks" exchanged between couples who had parents with them.
• World Cafe - although a lovely buffet restaurant it was a bit unorganized. For example, when seated at a table very often the table settings would not be complete and so the wait staff would take the cutlery, glasses and napkins from another table which only perpetuated the problem. Another common occurrence was that we found we had to order the same drink order multiple times before we received it - this was hit or miss - some wait staff were better than others. In general we found it you wanted a refill you typically would need to ask for it - they weren't readily offered (again, some wait staff were better than others)
• The Auction before the nightly show where they sold rum, t-shirts, hats, 25 min massage all in pesos (most travelers had US money - not pesos!). The auction seemed to be held before the show each night and took almost 30 mins - given that the show is at 9 p.m. or 9:30 p.m. it was getting late for those with children and an auction is a hard way to keep kids attention. I would not have minded one auction but as the week went on they began to get annoying and feel like money grab. One night we showed up for the Circus show that was supposed to start at 9 p.m. - by 9:40 p.m. it still had not started - they had done the auction and then must have been having some type of technical difficulties as they dimmed the lights but just played music - we finally left as my kids were getting tired at that point - they were disappointed as we told them they were seeing a circus show and they ended up seeing an auction. I would definitely recommend limiting how many auctions are held each week before the entertainment shows.

Would have been nice to know:

• Vendors - on-site Wed and Sat for flea market - prices inflated - can barter down approx 50% of what originally quoted.
• The Resort has a no "saving" pool/beach chairs policy - they actually do have staff that does go around and if only towels are on pool chairs they do remove them. If you do want to "save" a spot you need to put more than just towels on the chairs - add some personal items (i.e. flip slops, magazines, etc)
• No free wifi offered but very reasonable packages (i.e. 15 hours of wifi for $15 US with no data restrictions or for $60 US for an unlimited wifi package for the entire week). Each wifi package is restricted to one mobile device only though which is a bit of a pain (apparently tracked by IPS address)

On a side note, we flew with SunWing and I was not impressed at all. I will actually pay more money to fly with a different airline carrier if I have the option for any future trips. Minor issues but things like they ran out of food (both the actual meals and the snacks you buy), drinks (including water) was not offered until three hours into the flight, (after the flight had been delayed, table trays bent and crooked so could not put drinks etc on them and the flight attendants saying "oh well, it's an older aircraft", completely inappropriate movie with graphic violence and fighting (i.e. Wolverine) shown on the old style drop down TVs so everyone has to watch the same movie with small kids on board. I highly recommend before you book with SunWing you do some on-line research into some of the customer reviews - I did after the fact and certainly wished I had done it beforehand.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at Dreams and would recommend the resort and would return again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Sandy B
Hector T, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to inform us of your recent stay with this very thorough and complete review. We are sure that every future guest will find it very informative.

Also, we appreciate you pointing out the issues that you consider should be improved. This information has already been forwarded to the corresponding personnel, and corrective actions are already in the process so we can continue enhancing our guests' experience with us, doing everything we can to meet and exceed their expectations.

Should you plan on coming back to us, do not hesitate on contacting us; we would be honored to have you among us once again.