“Wow! What a fantastic holiday!!!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Yes, the roads to the resort are not the best (!?) Having said that, you really do get a true picture of how the people live - families sitting by the roadside selling their wares from corrugated iron shacks. My children were humbled and realised what a good life they have.
The welcome at the resort was fantastic (champagne and fruit cocktails) and we were made to feel welcome. Cases were taken to our rooms by very polite and happy staff (who all look like rangers in their uniform!!!). Rooms were a little small but nice and clean but lets face it, how much time do you wana spend in it? The resort in itself was beautiful and just how it looks on the website.
We loved the fact that we could choose where to eat as this kept everyone happy (kids didnt want to eat the same as us adults) and in our opinion the food was a very good standard (never been anywhere that you could have smoked salmon and champagne for breakfast!) and I thouroughly recommend Oceana for the meat and seafood main dish as the steak was melt in the mouth. Some people said that the portions were small but hey, ask for more if you are still hungry! Personally I found it quite adequate and all resturants do 3 courses.
The staff everywhere were so helpful and happy, I did wonder if they were all on the wacky baccy! They were so eager to do anything to enhance our stay which went a long way. Of course they rely on tips ( the pay is meagre) but in no way do you feel pressured as they still treat you fantastic if you forget.
It is very secluded with only a few shops in the hotel and if you fancy a short walk outside there are some souvenir shops - my husband and I ventured out. We walked out of the gates and strolled along taking in the sights when all of a sudden we were aware of a guy in uniform from the hotel by the side of us on a pushbike, he rode by our side with a rather large baseball bat!!! He waited while we looked in the shops, then rode next to us on the way back. This did not make us feel intimidated at all as it is just a precaution, this is a very poor country and they so need our tourism to survive.
There are trips to go on but we were told by our rep to book them with her as they are fully insured and legislated. As for the cost of the trips, we were amazed at how resonably priced they were. If you havent lost the will to live, read on.......
Ocean world is a long way (short flight) as it is in Puerto Plata but well worth the journey. My two children (9 & 14), my husband and I swam with dolphins and sharks which was a wonderfull experience. The park itself was clean and well set out with staff that really were passionate about the welfare of the mammals which impressed us as we are animal lovers. We bought lots of photos and a dvd as again, the prices were so reasonable.
Saona Island also was a long way (coach and catamaran) with entertainment (dancing on the catamaran!) and lots to see along the way if like us you want to see how the Dominicans live. The sea is the most beautiful turquoise we have ever seen and the beach is pure white sand. Bar-b-que was ok. On the way back we went on a speed boat which was so much fun as they really do know how to handle them at high speed - my daughters giggled the whole way!!! We stopped in the middle of the ocean for a surreal experience , I will try to describe it............ They call it the 'national park swimming pool' as you get out of the boat and can touch the ocean bed (unless like me you are 4ft 11 ! ). It is so clear and we were able to handle the star fish ( crew told us how to do it without harming them which again impressed us!) Then they played a game of 'hot potato' with a bottle of rum & coke as a forfeit ! That was an experience we will never forget.
Horse riding at a local ranch only a 10 min ride in an open back truck was such a giggle (my husband had bruising on his under carriage- he didnt rise on his seat when we trotted!!!) While we were riding we had the company of the ranch dogs, who I was told by the tour rep where mostly strays that the ranch owner didnt have the heart to shoo away , and the whole time they jumped in puddles, rolled around in the sea when we got to the beach and generally fought with eachother! This amused us greatly. The only downside was we were not able to gallop as the heat was intense and too much for the horses, but we understood that and accepted it was for their health.
Back to the resort, we felt so secure and comfortable that we let our children wander off and do their own thing which we wouldnt usually do in another country. They made friends and played in the pool, ate when they wanted and had freedom which was great for them. While they did this, us adults had a rough time lying on sunbeds with a constant supply of cocktails brought to us by lovely waitresses ( a dollar now and then made them happy!) The entertainment was good with no expense spared for costumes and scenery.
Although all the staff were superb, I have to mention the guys in the lobby bar at night as they were outstanding, cuddles for my kids, banter with the adults and some wonderfull shots!!! Their names are Clemente , Chocolate, and Domingo. Met some lovely people, Linda & Eddie, Sandra & Paul. Keep in touch if you are reading this!
We only got home yesterday but are now thinking of going back which is not what we usually do as we want to see all the world! All in all we will treasure the memories we have of a fabulous holiday

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank raysar66

Reviewed August 15, 2008

I just returned from a week at the Dreams Resort Punta Cana. This was a big trip for us, which included me, my husband, 11 month old daughter, parents, brother, his wife and 7 month old daughter. We were celebrating the purchase of our home, my 3 year wedding anniversary and daughter's first birthday.

The plane ride from NYC was over 4 hours, which was extended an hour due to delays. The resort does not post on their website or respond to my inquiry of the travel time from the airport to the resort. My family decided to pay additional for a private van transfer to the resort for the comfort of the children. The ride was an hour, which included about 15 minutes of VERY bumpy roads. The driver explained that they were being repaved by the gov't the week we were leaving.

Upon arriving to the resort we received a cool champagne drink that was really tasty. The hotel grounds were gorgeous. We booked the Partial Ocean View room and received a double bed room with garden views. Their response was that a King size bed room was not "guaranteed". After talking to the front desk regarding our need to have a King size bed for the space of our daughter's play pen they then "found" an available POV room, which had no alarm clock - none available. Sometimes it pays to be persistent with your request.

The pool was gorgeous and VERY big, which allowed for some space between the ton of people staying at the resort. The beach was nice. However, the ocean had a lot of rocks and coral reef.

The bars served frozen drinks that were not slushy or cold. Their liquor drinks also did not seem to be very cold. We expected the premium drinks they promoted on the website.

We loved the fact that there were 7 restaraunts to choose from every night with only three that required long pants. None of them required reservations, which allowed you to be comfortable and decide last minute where you'd like to go for dinner. The Italian restaurant was amongst the World Cafe (buffet), which was not good traditional Italian food. The Japanese restaurant was very good. We found that the Seaside grill served the best soul food type dinner with steaks and surf and turf options. By day seven four out of the six in my family were sick even though we only drank bottled water.

The Spa is out of this world. The prices were a bargain compared to NYC spas. They provided great service and amenities.

The shops were okay. At times the shops were disorganized. Every other day they had locals come with their merchandise whom could be a little 'pushy' to come to their table.

The photography company they have located in their lower lobby takes great pictures. We had Lucy do a photo shoot of our family. The pictures we purchased were a bit pricey but well worth the memories we have for a lifetime.

Lastly, I have to rave about the WONDERFUL entertainment team. It was the best entertainment I've experienced in the 6 carribean islands I've been too. My money was well worth the fun and laughs I experienced.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank Lourdes R
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We booked directly on the Dreams website to avoid problems that others have mentioned about dealing with Expedia, etc.

We paid for an upgraded room in their concierge building and paid for a private car from the airport. The car was a small ramshackled bus that we were alone in. We waited in the lobby for 20 minutes for someone from concierge to come and check us in. We got to our room (marginal at best) and it wasn’t even in the concierge building.

The A/C wasn’t working when we got in the room. Four calls and visits from maintenance later, the A/C never really worked correctly. The grounds were fairly well kept, the casino was tiny and vendors selling items would harass you on the way back to your room. Also, because it was all inclusive, the food was terrible.

We were there for a wedding so we had to stay there at least until it was over, so we decided to leave a day early. We let the hotel know that we were leaving early and checked out. We were told that we would need to contract the company’s customer service line to request a refund for the last night.

After trying to call and email for 3 months, someone from the hotel finally emailed back and asked for our credit card number to issue the refund. No refund. So we just gave up.

Decide for yourself, but we are never going back to this hotel nor the Dominican Republic!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank willly63
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I just returned from Dreams Punta Cana today and I had to write in to let other people know that this hotel was absolutely incredible. I was so worried before we left after reading the reviews of disappointed people, but the overall experience was awesome. The service of the staff is so friendly and they can't do enough for you. The entertainment team are absolutely fun and excellent in what they do. They truly entertain you day and night and you can participate in as many activities and contest as you like to win "Dream Money" which you can use at the weekly auction for prizes. We had so much fun everyday. The bartenders are so much fun and will keep your drinks coming! The food was better than I expected after reading the reviews. There are 7 restaurants so you can dine at a different place each evening. The bordeaux, oceanana,sea side grill, and the Hibachi restaurants were our favorites. There was only 2 negative that I could say, but wouldn't keep me from going again. The air conditioning could be cooler, but I don't know if it had to do with the incredible heat. The other would be that although we enjoyed our room in building 1 which is on the beach, it is a hike to the main lobby where there are lots of things to do. I would definately go back to Dreams. They make you feel so welcomed. We had an absoutely incredible time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank plucas492
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We recently returned from Dream Punta Cana and had a wonderful family vacation. I had read many reviews (both good and bad) prior to leaving and honestly I was a little nervous about going to Dreams. After the awful hour long ride out to the resort, I was pleasantly surprised how nice Dreams was. We were greeted with champagne and check-in was a breeze. We opted to upgrade to the Preferred Club which cost an addtional $260 per room. Actually it was a good decision for our family. In the Preferred Club we were guarenteed a newly remodeled room in building six or seven. These buildings are closest to the pool and beach. We had a great first floor king end room which was huge and extremely clean. My sons ages 21, 20 and 17 were down the hall had a room with two doubles. Their room did not seem as large as our end room especially the bathroom but it could have been because of the two doubles. Both our room were cool and free of insects. As a prevention I did take ant traps and placed them in both rooms near the patio door. I never saw any ants in our room and maybe three in my sons room. Also with the Preferred Club you get unlimited use of the interent in the Preferred Club's Private Suite. My sons could check their facebook and I could check my e-mail and news on the internet. In the private suite there was a bartender always on duty to serve you drinks and snacks. Also he would get you unlimited towels. Dreams gives each guest a card in exchange for one towel so the unlimited towel service was nice. Also a customer rep is available in the suite to answer any questions or concerns. At the beach, there is a private area just for Preferred Club members with cabanas and lounge chairs with cushions. Unlimited towels and cold bottle water also at the beach. The decision to upgrade worked for us but I met many people who did not upgrade and were just as pleased.

The resort is lovely especially the grounds. Employees are constantly maintaining the common areas. The pool was clean and well maintained but I thought a little shallow. The pool is only three feet deep and by late afternoon the sun warms the pool to feel as if you are in a bath. Throughout the day there are activities at the pool and the beach. You can be as active as you want (I joined almost everything) or relax under a thatched umbrella which my husband did most of the week. The entertainment staff is wonderful and really interacts with the guests. They work usually from 10AM-1PM and return around 3PM-6PM. The entertainment staff are usually apart of the evening show also. The food at Dreams was better than I expected. I have been to several all inclusives and I thought it was much better than any all inclusives I've been to in Mexico. The food was good to very good most of the time. There were plenty of restaurant choices and if you didn't like something you could always go to the buffet and get some pizza. The portions are small but we always ordered an appetizer, soup or salad and entree. The deserts were probably my least favorite which saved me some calories. As long as you are not extremely picky, you will find the food enjoyable.
All in all, we had a great time at Dreams. The resort is beautiful, the service was wonderful and lots of activities. I would recommend Dreams to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank Painless65
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Stayed at Dreams from the 14th to 28th of July and had a fantastic time. Don't believe the negative reviews this place is fantatsic, do your homeowrk a bit before you go and you will know what to expect from the likes of the journey to the hotel etc...As well as this the Dreams management team do read TA reviews and forward them onto their staff via e-mail, they do act upon negative reviews ( Thanks Ricardo in the Preferred club for showing me this).

We upgraded to the Preferred club and stayed in two honeymoon suites which were immaculate and well kept throughout our stay. A big hi to Vanessa, Ricardo and George in the Preferred club, you guys rock and George your Smirnoff n Coke's are eh, how do I say it...." Put some coke in next time mate", cheers...LOL. Particularly liked the beach area for preferred guests with better sunloungers and beach towels without the need for a card etc...Loved to chill out at night in the hot-tub with a few beers....Heaven.

The beach itself is beautiful, but there are rocks in the Ocean so be careful when entering. We swam in a horseshoe shaped area to the right hand side of the beach in front of the vendors hut. The water is lovely and refreshing and is like swimming in a lukewarm bath.

One of our highlights at the resort was seeing 70 black people having a pre-wedding party on the beach, man do you guys know how to party or what, everyone was up dancing to some cool tunes being played by the DJ and to make it even better they invited us to join in, which we did and had a great time. Hope verything is going well in your married life.

Food is outstanding at this resort, we ate at 4 venues: The Mexican, The Seaside Grill, The Italian and the Buffet and food was good at all of them. We liked the buffet best as the choice at dinner was excellent and allowed all of our party to have something they wanted. Worthy of praise are the waiting staff at all restuarants but again at the World Cafe ( buffet) the service here was faultless and you felt staff really enjoyed their work.

A big thanks to Josie and Angel at the Core Zone area. This area is fantastic for all the family as it has pool, table tennis, air hockey as well as an X-Box, Wii and Playstation for those who maybe suffering from withdrawal symptons. Some good activities are held here i.e. Air rifle shooting, Archery, Darts along with Basketball and Tennis.

Entertainment at the resort is good and runs on a weekly basis so if you are there for two weeks you will see the same shows twice. Some may see this as a problem but we certainly didn't as it allowed us to enjoy other activities within the resort i.e. Core Zone, Movies on Beach etc... I absolutely loved sitting out in the Plaza Square watching movies at night with a cocktail in hand, the atmosphere is just fantastic.

I had two Hot Stone Massages at the SPA and they were fantastic, the resort offers discounts of 15% on certain days which are well worth looking out for and taking advantage of. The facilities are excellent in the SPA and you get to use the water areas prior to any massage or treatments. Try the ICE PLUNGE POOL it's lovely......LOL. Upstairs from the SPA is the Gym and what can I say except I wish I had bought some of my gear with me so I could have used it, it is incredible and if you use a gym back home bring your gear with you and use this gym, you won't be disappointed.

The pool is superb and runs the length of the resort, water is only 3 foot deep throughout the length and we had no problems finding sunbeds at any time during the day.

One thing I did dislike about the resort is the Vendors who come on site 3 times a week, they can be very pushy. The situate themselves so it is impossible to miss them when you are walking around the resort. Perhaps a better idea would be to move them to a specific area within the resort, where drinks could be on offer and music playing in the background etc..., then if guests wish to go shopping they can go there and have a nice shopping experience rather than feeling intimidated.

I'm not a person that likes to go to the same place twice so for that reason I perhaps will not return to Punta Cana, however, I enjoyed the Dreams experience and will definently use Dreams Resorts again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank frankh19
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I just got back from my wedding moon at the Dreams resort. It was so beautiful and amazing that words cannot even describe it!
The resort is beautiful and the flamingos walking around made my day - everyday! We had a honeymoon sweet and it was perfect for the two of us - most people that saw our room wished they had booked a suite. My brother in law had an imperial room - room 1209 - it was THE BEST room in the whole resort and the only one with an ocean view! It was awesome! I would definitely upgrade to a honeymoon suite if possible!
Food - we liked the himitsu japanese restuarant the best! the hibatchi was awesome and very tastey. the seaside grill was good fro dinner as well. I am not normally a buffet person, but they always had something to eat there that everyone liked. oceana was good for lunch if you didnt want to bbq on the beach - but we didnot like it for dinner - very small portions.
Drinks - what can i say - you can drink all day long - just make sure they put alcohol in it :)
service - absolutely impeccable! not a bad thing to say
entertainment - if you get bored, join something. you fake money for participating in activities and spend it at an auction during the week. its fun!
all in all - have a great time!

• Stayed: August 2008