“Take the good with the bad”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good: Beautiful resort and beach. The people are super friendly and the entertainment staff is awesome. Maybe it's the time of year/day we went but we never had to wait to eat. The drinks are great (make sure to get a Guau!) I can't say enough about how pretty the pool and beach are. Evening dining at Oceana has gorgeous views.
Bad: people aren't kidding when they say the beds are very uncomfortable! A/C makes the room tolerable but will not get the room cold at all (welcome to the tropics). Shower water is lukewarm. Power outage each day (once while showering and apparently no power=no water) they get it back in 10 mins. Pack hair conditioner...they don't provide any!You have to physically go to Japanese restaurant to make a reservation (called concierge and they said I had to do it myself)...it is the only restaurant that requires reservations. Tried to go to portofino the first night and it was closed. Tried to go to Bordeaux the second night and it was closed for a private event....skip the seaside grill and go straight to Oceana it has better food.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Pascale T
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time invested in informing us about your recent stay. We are happy to know you enjoyed our beach and the pool, as well as the interaction with our staff. They are one of our major assets and the reason why we have such a big repeat guests' family.

It is regrettable to know that you encountered several issues during your stay. Please receive our deepest apologies for any inconvenience caused and be aware that each point has been forwarded to the corresponding departments in order for the corresponding actions to be taken.

Once again, thank you very much and if you choose to visit us once again in the near future, please let us know.

pmessier@dreamsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (11,949)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Their French restaurant is absolutely fantastic! Guys, remember to bring long pants. Go when it opens so you see a fantastic sunset! And don't miss the fire show at the beach party or salsa dancing.

Cab ride from airport is $70 (slightly less than a hour).

The water sports staff should be replaced. I asked to go windsurfing and a staff member without shirt told me a flat no - not available - without explanation. 10 minutes later, I see a middle age man windsurfing. I then go back and again politely request to go windsurfing. He told me that I could not because I didn't know how. I firmly stood my ground 4 times that I did. I finally got to go and had a blast, proving that females can also do sports.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Renizzle

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time taken to inform us of your recent stay with us. It finds us with great joy to know that overall you enjoyed your stay, specifically our Bordeaux restaurant and the special activities we have prepared for our guests, but regret learning that you encountered an issue with a member of the Water Sports staff.

We are sorry that we didn't hear about this incident sooner, as we are sure to have taken the proper actions immediately. Please rest assured knowing that we have spoken with the staff in order to avoid this from happening again.

It is with great desire, that we wish that this issues didn't tamper your memories of your stay and that you choose to honor us with your presence in a near future.

Once again, thank you very much.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last Christmas and new year. The staff are friendly and work very hard. Could not fault anything about this resort. Would defiantly come back. Outstanding. The food was great so much to choose from. Everywhere was so clean. Did not even leave the resort as everything is there.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Lana C

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you took in commenting your stay with us. We are happy to know you really enjoyed your vacations, and even more that you would return to us.

As a service oriented company our main goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations, and it fills us with great joy to know we have done it with you.

Once again, thank you very much and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I just returned from my wedding/honeymoon at Dreams and they did a spectacular job. The wedding day, night before and all of the extras included in our honeymoon made us feel so completely luxurious, unstressed and pampered. Our guests had a fantastic time and loved the resort as well.
I highly suggest doing the preferred rooms if possibly. The extras of the Oceana Restaurant (Margarita was so sweet), the preferred Club and the private beach area as well as WiFi when needed was great.
Our room was very clean and comfortable, in fact the whole resort was kept immaculately the whole 10 days we were there.
The staff is great in everything they do.
The spa was beautiful. My hair and makeup for my wedding was exactly what I wanted and our couples massage/facial was truly luxury. Make sure you give yourself time to experience the aqua spa while there.
We did two excursions-a snorkel trip we planned for the whole wedding party and a more educational trip around Punta Cana learning more about the culture/people/crops...etc. Both were excellent. Very well run with great people.
My only issue, and was very small, is at the restaurants what you order isn't always what you get. Think of the menus as loose interpretations of what might come. Blackened fish one night had nothing blackened about it. A veggie burger was just vegetables on bread (not the patty described)....etc. It was fine but don't get your heart set on the description-and be okay with what you do get. The world cafe was great-wide variety. My kids loved the Hibachi and the Coco Cafe was the place for really good coffee. I can't say the food was spectacular but it was well done and I never felt bored with the variety.
I would highly recommend this place for a family, anniversary, whatever the need is to get away. We had a fantastic time and look forward to our anniversary trip next year.

Room Tip: Do a preferred club room if possible. The sweets are fabulous if going for a longer stay.

Dear guest,

It means the world to us to know that your wedding and honeymoon trip turned out just as expected and even more. We are glad that you enjoyed all of our services, as well as the Preferred amenities, including Margarita. We know our staff is one of the main assets and we are proud of the hard work they do.

Thank you for your comments regarding the food. It has been duly noted and the corresponding actions have been taken. It is with comments like this that we can continue improving our services.

Once again, thank you for your words and we hope to see you on your anniversary trip.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We just returned from Dreams Punta Cana---what a wonderful experience. First off let me give credit to the following people--Entertainment staff-Yanely, James, Pepe, Cabolanta, Ducky P. and Danilo! They created such a fun, lively atmosphere. If you did not interact with this team and their activities you missed a great time! They were warm and welcoming and made our stay even better than it was! In the World Cafe---Laiza, Yudith, Lidia, Nairoby, Cesar and Juan Carlo-actually all of them but these were my standouts! Their service and caring was amazing! And on our last day there-Junior at the Rendezvous bar! All of the employees were humble, caring, and some of the hardest working people I have ever met! We met some wonderful people from around the country and Canada that also made our stay wonderful! The pool and the grounds were beautifully kept and people worked night and day to keep it that way. If I had one complaint it is that our room did not have great water pressure or enough hot water. But we made it, I did not feel the need to complain! We have been to all-inclusives in several countries and this was a great place! I would return to this resort anytime. Thank you for a phenomenal experience.

Room Tip: Probably smart to get a suite room!
3  Thank dexbet
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us know of your recent trip with us. We are very happy to know that you were able to connect with some of our Entertainers, Waiters and Bartenders. Our staff is one of our major assets and is the reason why our repeat guests' family keeps on growing every day.

We have noted the comments about the rooms accommodations and have forwarded them to the corresponding department, in order to keep on improving our services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have you among us very soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

So we stayed in the deluxe room for 5 days and booked a sweet deal with Apple Vacations. But first I want to start with the airport for any reviewers who want a high level review. Take note the airport is small open air with not too many souvenir options. Even the duty free was expensive. For example a refrigerator magnet is $7 US but so is a small bottle of Brugal Rum so choose wisely. There's always employees wanting to help with luggage without you asking most likely for a tip not because of friendliness. There's a $10 US entry fee per person but not on the way back home. The airport transfer was easy and is a little over an hr ride to Dreams but not painful at all.
The hotel Lobby was clean open air and welcome cocktail is not alcoholic by the way. After check in there are workers offering you visits to a new resort Zoetry. We were hesitant but the 50 US was so enticing we decided to go. It worked out because they were honest it wasn't a timeshare but the vacation packages they were offering was astronomical and we said no, there was no bad blood and we didnt feel pressed. There was also free WiFi at the beautiful Zoetry so we loved that since Dreams wasn't free. The presentation consisted of sitting with an agent and talking and drinking complimentary having a good time even though it was nearly 90min. We got our$50 US and it came in handy towards paying for the excursion thru Apple.
The rest of our stay was nice and relaxing. We had no problem finding a place at the beach or pool. We weren't Club members and we certainly felt it for example some resorts dont make you feel different and some do. This one does but I wasnt turned off. Just a miscommunication about where I could eat at certain times were only for Club members. I wasnt treated rude or anything, hey you get what you pay for. Im sure if you spent a lil extra you would want a lil extra too right? There was some miscommunication in the hotel info book in the room as to when you can go to certain restaurants. The Mexican restaurant is not open at all and that was not communicated. Notice I reference a lack of communication a lot, lol! The Asian restaurant requires a reservation in person for the Hitabchi which is comparable to the American chain. The French restaurant was nothing to write home about but all food in general here was fresh and had flavor. I feel like I actually lost weight on my stay. The Seaside restaurant was my favorite it's like a Steak house. Due to another miscommunication on certain nights about the opening of the Italian restaurant, we missed that one. Yes some of the workers can't communicate well in English but so what! This is a Spanish speaking country. And they can party! Foam party at the pool, night club poppin, karaoke, shows...there was always something to do. The alc drinks were tasty and I never had to ask for stronger drinks! Beware of the Mamajuana, lol! Our room was in Bldg 2 with mostly the garden view which is very pretty.The bldg is very far from the lobby and most restaurants so be prepared to walk but was a good distance from the beach and pool. 24hr Room service was included with a good variety of options and pretty quick service to be room service.
The room was cleaned everyday, mini bar stocked daily and turned down at night (towels, soap, etc). Nice flat screen no dresser but I don't mind living out the suit case. The shower was very high so be prepared to step up and step down. And no shower curtain but i liked the look of the half glass wall helping keep the water in but I can see some people making a mess.
The beach was pretty and relaxing but the swim area was so small due to rocks so be aware of the signs. And every once in a while we did get beach service. We went early September which is the start of hurricane season but got lucky because it barely rained and when it did only for a half hr tops.
Our excursion thru Apple however was cancelled due to weather but refunded us. Apple excursions are expensive but we wanted to be sure we could trust the company. There's another company on site that's cheaper and we saw other guests booking with them and didn't appear to have issues but we preferred Apple.
Quick notes: the internet cafe has better WiFi deals than buying per day.For example 4$ US for 15 min (quick enough to check in at home). World cafe restaurant buffet is available if all else fails(due to what restaurants may be closed) and foods pretty good there just not a lot of authentic Dominican choices if you're hoping for that. Bring your own Pepto if you have a weak stomach and plan on eating everything in sight, its expensive in the gift shop. Read your daily activity and info sheet in your room and Keep Calm you're on Vacay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Selb87
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to write such a thorough and objective review about our property. It is with comments like this where we can notice what we are doing right and what we have to keep on improving to ensure and enhance our guests' experience.

The points of improvement have already been addressed by the corresponding departments in order to correct them.

As a service oriented company, we are glad to have received you as a guest and we hope you give us the honor of choosing us as your vacation destination once again in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was our 2nd stay here at Dreams Punta Cana, my GF & I got engaged there last year & returned for our honeymoon this year. Our initial visit we had a free upgrade to a VIP Junior Suite thanks to Living Social, but that deal was not available this time, so since we just paid for a wedding we tried to conserve by just booking a Deluxe room. Our room was far from acceptable, we had no hot water the 1st 3 days & after a hard lengthy rain water was dripping from our bathroom ceiling. Upon notifying the conceire Brawer he treated us to a special dinner until his supervisor Jean Carlos arrived, & he immediately upgraded us to a Junior Suite AND treated us to a $200 romantic dinner on the beach for our trouble. He then was in constant communication to ensure that the rest of our stay was excellent!!! Thank you Brawer & Jean Carlos, we will definitely be back again, but learned from our mistake & will book a VIP Junior Suite from now on!

1  Thank Ken U
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad to know that you liked us enough to choose us once again as your home away from home, and that even though you encountered an issue, you were promptly and swiftly assisted by our Concierge Department.

Our staff is one of our major assets and one of the main reasons why we have a constantly growing repeat guests family.

Once again, thank you very much for your input and we hope you give us the honor of being your vacation residence once again in the near future.