“Dont listen to bad reviews!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
England
“Dont listen to bad reviews!”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed at dreams for two weeks in June and had the most amazing holiday! The place is beautiful, the gardens are immaculate, the pool is cleaned every morning, the sea is not crystal clear but the sand is golden and there were always spare sunloungers!
Our room was lovely, nothing to complain about at all.
Food was generally excellent, especially the French restaurant. The only minor complaint would be that we had to wait for a table nearly every night but never more than 30 minutes. I think some people are completely unrealistic in what they expect, the quality of the food was great especially when you consider they are feeding over 600 people every breakfast lunch and dinner! the breakfast buffet was amazing and had just about everything you could ever think of! The cocktails were also amazing!!
Dont be put off by bad reviews, whilst we were there we did not meet one person who had anything bad to say about the place!
There are people who set up stalls a few times a week in the hotel and they will try to get you to have a look, but nothing to worry about all you have to do is say no thanks and keep walking. after all they are only trying to make a living.
We did go on an excursion to catalina island and although we had a lovely day alot of it was spent on the coach and I dont really think it was worth the money. We also went horseriding which was great althought the horses were on the skinny side!
The weather was amazing, I cant believe people complain about the heat, its kind of obvious that its going to be hot in the carribbean in the summer months! The heat was fairly humid but by no means unbearable.
The staff would bend over backwards to help you and work so so hard for very little money. i would advise it is a good idea to take plenty of one dollar notes for tipping.
The spa was fab, expensive but what do you expect for a spa in a hotel. They do all the treatments for couples too which means you can have them done at the same time.
Didnt watch any entertainment as jet lagged the whole holiday and not really our thing but apparently very good.
Overall I had the most amazing holiday and was worth every penny! Some people are just to fussy and they are not happy unless they are complaining! If your in two minds about this place, i say GO!

• Liked — The most amazing pool and the wide range of food!
  • Disliked — Not enough sun loungers in pool and wait for a table in restaurants.
4 Thank iloveholidays2588

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,884)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
armonk, new york
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We booked on Hotwire and got a great deal.
Arrival: easy Jfk flight. prvt taxi took 1 hour and 10 min for $60 to hotel. easy checkin and got a cookie and champagne immed upon arrival, no wet towel
Room: clean but v small room and small bathroom, remote missing the back cover. bed fine. a/c fine. drinks cool not cold excellent maid service tipped $2 per day
Pool: clean too hot beautiful. very few rafts, and broken ones, a disgrace
Entertainment: Mickey Mouse the best. staff worked so hard. too much cigar and cigarette smoke in theater at night, had to leave
Food: variable. Mexican inedible.buffet fine for breakfast, beach bbq awful every day. fruit lady great. bordeaux the best, oceana good, still hit and miss
did not do any tours
Lois

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank docmendy84
Reviewed July 13, 2008

we stayed at Dreams from July 5, July 12, 2008. We had a party of ten people. I had emailed Jerry Three times requesting we all be in the same building. This did not happen. We were in three different building. When we tried to communicate this with the reqistration staff, they obviously could not understand English nor could we understand Spanish. It was a hopeless case so we just made the best of it. Our rooms were all fine. The facilities were great. The pool was awesome and the beach was OK. Having done my homework here on trip advisor we were all prepared with water shoes, but did spent the majority of our time at the pool. The food was very good. The staff was excellent. On several occasions we were given incorrect information from the front desk, but after speaking to the bell men this was corrected. If you have a handicappe they will transfer you by golf cart but just a simple phone call to 3000. The grounds are exceptional and well maintained. I have only one real complaint and that is the drive from the airport to the hotel...It is a real problem for people who get car sick. The hotel gift shop is very expensive and shopping with the vendors they bring to the resort is limited to mahogany, cigars, canvas painting and some Jewelry (no silver). like in Mexico. The shows are better than any other resort I have been to. I was very sceptial of this resort from reading some messages here on trip advisor, but not really sure those bad reviews were from the same resort I was. Yes I would return.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The trip to and from the airport.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Peggyw
Atlanta
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Well, I will make this short and sweet.

Travelled with about 12 other family members. Two children included, under 3 years old.

I just read a couple of reviews and I always chuckle when my fellow Americans get all hot and bothered by road trips on roads that are not eight lane super highways with twelve lane off and on ramps. This is Punta Cana, DR, not Buckhead, Atlanta...and after doing the due diligence on Trip Advisor and other places, we expected an interesting ride. I will admit it was long, but we were chatting up a storm so it wasn't half bad.

Check in was smooth, and we were fine with our rooms. As mentioned, as long as we adjusted our expectations, and weren't looking for the equivalent of the Mandarin Oriental at Time Warner Center in NYC. It could have been a bit cooler, but we made our adjustments.

This is a huge resort, we stayed in building 4 which meant a long walk to the beach. Big and beautiful swimming pool that almost covers the entire left side of the hotel. Plenty of room for everyone, and if you decide that you only want to hang by the swim up bar, then you will have to deal with the numbers there. Better to spread out and find a nice spot that's not crowded.

Food was decent. The World Cafe Buffet was good, a great amount of variety. It could get tired if you did it more than once a day, so we made sure to go spread the love and do the other restaurants. Himitsu was cool, although we couldn't do the Japanese grill because of the girls. We had a 4th of July celebration on the beach that was very scenic and nice. The beach grill during the day was actually pretty bad, that was the one piece I was unhappy about.

We loved the beach, although the life guards seemed to be more interested in looking cooler than the visitors as opposed to doing their jobs. I was firm with the vendors who would try to hassle us into trips or stuff; a simple "not interested today, maybe later" ended any conversations.

If you are looking for nightlife, it ain't happening. And that was fine with us, as we were just looking to eat and then chill. The night entertainment was fine, and we went to see what the club was all about. Nice setting, but nothing like lousy DJing to mess it all up. But the young teenagers seemed to eat it all up, so it worked out for some folks. Would have been nice if the pool stayed open late at night.

The staff were interesting. You could tell there was some kind of hierarchy amongst the workers and the higher up the chain, the more attitude you would get. Not much attitude, but you could sense some aloofness. They were friendly in general, and really nice, and I made it my choice to think it was genuine.

All in all, this was a great vacation, and we all recommend Dreams as a place to visit. Just don't go there thinking you will be getting Ritz Carlton type service or amenities, 'cos this ain't the Ritz, people. It is Dreams Punta Cana.

;-)

• Liked — Resort, pool, beach
  • Disliked — Beach grill
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank ChiefSuya
Cheshire
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Ok, so I thought I should write my review on this Resort seeing as I read others on here for 3 months up to my holiday! First of all, after reading all these negative reviews I was really worried about going but let me tell you it was nothing like what some of these people say it is. Which doesn't suprise me because certain people/nationalities have expectations that are so high it would be impossible to meet them!

My boyfriend and I are in our 20's and it was our first holiday together as well as his first time out of Europe and at an All Inclusive hotel. I have stayed in many AI hotels in Europe as well as another in the DR and this hotel was certainly the best one I have ever experienced.

So to start we flew with Thomson, which was a great flight, we paid the £5 each so we could have on demand entertainment on board, this pleased my bf as he managed to watch 3 great movies he has been wanting to see.

The airport is very nice, we didn't have to wait too long for our luggage.

The drive to the hotel is not as bad as people say it is, yes maybe for some people who have never left the US or UK then maybe it will be a bit of a shock, I find it so unbelievable to think that people assume it would be like a drive in their own country! seriously people.
Once we arrives we were greeted with the champagne and cold towels with was v nice, and we were checked in within 5 minutes - staff were great, helpful and friendly - our luggage was brought to our room shortly after.

We were in room 6101 and before going I had read in almost every review that people had to change rooms because of problems so we were fully prepared to do this ourselves... well, there was no need, our room was gorgeous, it was v spacious, especially for the amount of time spent in there, we had two double beds, a sofa, tv in a cabinet (which was great because we stored our suitcases in after unpacking) and also had an alarm clock with Ipod connector. Great! as we were on the ground floor we also had a hammock on our terrace. The room was very quiet considering, right in the middle of resort, and also came with bathrobes & slippers.

The restaurants were great, we loved the Oceana and Bordeaux - the steak was the best I have ever had! We loved the buffet too, especially breakfast. there is so much selection you will always find something - plus the fresh fruit and pizzas are great!
There are lots of bars to choose from which are all great, if you want international brands be sure to ask for them.

The Casino was good too - I have never played Blackjack before but I soon got into it - we went twice during our stay and had a great time, we weren't expecting to win but it was good fun playing.

Entertainment was great, the staff work so hard and are not so annoying where the pester you all the time like in some other resorts.

The pool was fabulous by far the nicest pool i have ever seen, Never short of sun loungers which was good.

The beach was gorgeous, there is an area on the left side which is ideal for swimming, it makes me laugh that people complain about the sea having waves and seaweed - i thought it was paradise and I am sure you will agree.

The grounds were beautiful and you will see parrots in tree's flamingoes all sorts - awesome!

The Spa was amazing - seriously you will know you are in a 5* hotel if you go in here, its breathtaking. My bf treated me to a swedish massage on our last day and for $60 you get a 25 min massage and an hour in the spa - heaven!

I think thats everything - overall we had the best holiday ever and would most definitely reccommend to anyone - couples, groups, families, and we will no doubt be going back! I would imagine in the next few months after the refurbishing has been completed (this did not affect any aspect of our holiday at all, in fact you would probably not notice it was going on) it will be even better!
I do think that being british we are much more realistic, open minded and considerate when we travel - we do not expect the earth and make the most of the holiday we are on because we know that we are lucky to be experiencing such a wonderful culture when others are not lucky enough to do so. The holiday will be what you make it - if you go there thinking the worst and looking for things to complain about instead of enjoying the beautiful weather, the great food and drink and just relaxing and having a good time then I wouldn't bother getting on the plane!

So thats my 2 cents worth - hopefully I have covered the important stuff. Enjoy!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
12 Thank Princess2201
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We went to Dreams on June 14th for 12 nights and it was bliss!

Yes shock horror on occasion I had to wait 5 mins for a drink......but guess what I hadn't exactly other pressing engagements at the time. Yes shock horror - one of the tiles in the bathroom was not exactly in line, but interestingly this did not cause me the trauma that it caused other review writers.

The hotel, pool, rooms, service, food and weather are amazing. When I have travelled in the past I have always had stomach trouble (i.e Dubai, New York, Italy etc.) but I did not have any trouble here (despite for the first time ever, being really organised and bringing half a pharmacy with me!).

Re the weather - don't freak when you look up the forecasts and it says 60% chance of rain and overcast. They only say that to cover themselves because it is the wet season - but if wet season means 32C sunshine everyday and the odd shower at night, I'll take wet season over our Irish "summer" anyday.

Tips: Bring mosquito repellent and use it (esp when going to the seafood and french restaurant down by the beach). Also, if you have any small cosmetic samples etc. bring them for the maids - it might be just a lipstick to you but they cannot afford/access anything like that, so to see their face light up is a joy!
If you really want to be a good Samaritan bring some toys e.g. dolls, colouring books and give to the priest who says mass in the hotel on Sundays - he'll bring them out to the children. This is a really poor country so try to give something extra if you can afford to!

There is lots of entertainment and the tv has a wide variety of channels including some movie ones if you just fancy a night in.

I will definitely go back and please don't let the other reviews put you off!! And have a dirty monkey on me when you go!

• Liked — Cold beer in minibar!, sunshine, chill out feel, steaks, seafood, BBQ on beach
  • Disliked — They make you go home eventually
7 Thank Lulaw
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2008

WARNING: THIS IS A LONG REVIEW!!!
ARRIVAL: What a wonderful experience we had at the Dream’s Resort in Punta Cana! My family of four arrived from Los Angeles, CA on Saturday June 28th. We stayed eight nights and departed on Sunday July 6th. We were there as part of a family reunion involving sixteen family members. I’m always a little nervous when traveling to a foreign country where English is not the primary language. I need not have worried; I was impressed with how organized movement through the airport was when we all arrived. They have a system where they direct you through the whole process. A system is in place for arrival, and another is in place when leaving, so it is almost impossible to not get to your destination. We booked with Apple, and the Apple Rep is at the airport looking people with luggage that have the Apple luggage tags. He directed us right to our Van, and we were off to the Dreams resort. Yes the roads are narrow, and riddled with potholes, but the drivers navigate with quite a bit of finesse through the cruddy roads. It took approximately 1 hour to arrive. Never did I feel like we were in danger while on the roads. Some of the roads we’ve been on in Mexico come close to those in the Dominican Republic, but I do believe Dominican roads are worse.

AT THE HOTEL: The Bellboys and driver took care of our luggage. We had nine bags (a side note- pack half the amount of clothes you think you need!) As soon as the van left, my hubby realized that he left his camera bag in the van. The driver was long gone before he realized that he left the bag in the van. I was ready to throttle him as he had his wallet, cash, credit cards, video cam, and digital camera in the bag. I thought that we would never see this stuff again. The bellboys let us know that everything would be fine and directed us to the concierge desk. A few phone calls were made, and voila, the driver was contacted and within fifteen minutes our camera bag was handed back to my husband. Everything was left untouched in the bag just as the staff told us and we were flooded with relief. The driver wouldn’t take a tip when he brought the bag back. I stuffed a $20.00 bill in his pocket anyway- We were so relieved! We then proceeded to check in. We of course got the cool wash clothes and Champagne while we were checking in. Check in went very quickly, and our rooms were ready right away. Very Friendly Front Desk Attendants! They went out of their way to give us adjoining rooms.
ROOMS: We were given rooms 3210 and 3211. This was a family suite with an adjoining door. I had requested this room with Eileen Ostos the head concierge by email a couple of weeks earlier. She could not guarantee the room but did make a note on our reservation, and sure enough, what we requested is exactly what we got. There was no extra charge for the family suite. The rooms were very nice; comparable to many resorts we have stayed at in Mexico. The air conditioner worked very well in both rooms, especially when running the ceiling fans. I thought that the rooms would be very tiny after reading past reviews, but they were the size of a decent size hotel room. There is a sitting area and desk next to the king size bed. The kid’s room had two doubles and a desk. Both rooms had a safe (free of charge), and refrigerator full of beverages (fridges don’t cool drinks too much- so we always filled our ice bucket to chill our drinks). There was a balcony with a table and two chairs off each room, and the bathrooms were smallish- only one sink, but the shower had good water pressure. We did have a couple of things break in the room- a toilet flush handle, and door jam came loose after leaving the chain on in the kids room and one of them tried to let themselves back into the room with the cardkey. I called for maintenance and both were repaired within ten minutes, WOW was I impressed. The maids did a great job cleaning our rooms, keeping our fridges fully stocked, and giving us adequate towels. We also had thick and thirsty bathrobes (two in each room). There is turndown service each evening and the maid made sure that the kids got chocolates on their pillows. One night she left several for each kid. We had maid service EVERY day, and turndown service EVERY night, without exception. If your kids have a lot of electronics, bring a power strip with you, we brought two and used both. We had walkie-talkies, cameras, ipods, DVD players etc… Oh by the way each room had a DVD player, and there were several English speaking channels on the TV including Denver affiliates and CNN..
RESTAURANTS: were pretty good. Oceano is closed for renovation. This was too bad because the restaurant has a great view of the beach- its open air and lovely. We ate at the Seaside Grille, the Japanese Restaurant, Patio (twice), the buffet and room service. My meals were all very good. My hubby’s were sort of hit and miss. He ordered steak. It was a little tough, but I had a killer skirt steak with peppers at the Seaside Grille, and the crab cakes and steak fajitas were very good at Patio. Omelettes were superb at the buffet for breakfast. The orange juice is very sweet and yummy as well. The kids especially loved having room service, and we ordered breakfast this way quite a few times. Also it was nice to order a snack late in the afternoon after spending all day at the beach. There was a very nice 4th of July celebration dinner on the beach. Food was good- they had a few problems with lighting though, so I’m not sure what all there was to eat that night- had trouble seeing some of it due to the lighting going out. Drinks were great; hubby loved the El Presidente brand beer. The kids had tons of “virgin” drinks and spent every afternoon getting soft served ice cream at the bar near the swim up bar. Some of our extended family ate at the French restaurant and said it was fantastic. I’m sorry we missed eating there, but we were late from our snorkeling excursion on the night everyone went.
BEACH: We loved the beach. We are real beach people, love a little wave action, and the kids had fun riding the little waves at the beach. Yes, there were a few rocks, nothing spectacular though- wear water socks, and you have it covered. After a while you know exactly where the rocks are. The waves were mild, nothing like what we are used to in California and Hawaii, but the kids still enjoyed them. The beach was clean with not much seaweed. Had no problem getting beach chairs with the Palapas. Had great drink service by the staff while on the beach. We did bring bubba kegs and kept ice water or soda in them. They stayed cold all day long. We had lunch most days at the beachside grill. They had hamburgers, sausage, or hotdogs there along with corn chips and salsa and fruit. All was wonderful! There was a fruit stand by the pool too where you could get pineapple on a stick, watermelon, etc… Never, and I repeat never did we ever have any food that was spoiled. Everything looked and tasted fresh.

ENTERTAINMENT: Kids hung out at the Core Zone in the afternoon to play pool, ping pong, etc… They also have a mechanical bull there, and it was hilarious to watch young and old alike get bumped off the bull. There was a Wii game console hooked up to a large TV there, and they had a mini disco complete with disco ball, for the younguns. Hubby spent a few $$ playing blackjack at the casino- never won, but we were there with other family members who did have some luck in the casino. We watched a few shows and the kids enjoyed them. The staff works very hard on their evening entertainment. We would have gone to more but were so tired after spending all day in the sun, and from all the excursions we went on.

EXCURSIONS: Our favorite excursions were the Outback Safari- (It was great to meet and learn about the Dominican People, discovering how they make cocoa, coffee, cigars, etc…), and Saona Island (although I could have done without the aggressive venders there). It takes a while to get there, but we were on a very comfortable air-conditioned bus, and received a great history/geography lesson. There was a good variety of tropical fish while snorkeling on the Stingray Bay excursion. Didn’t like that there were so many snorkelers all crammed in one small area of coral reef though, we felt like sardines. We have had much better snorkeling experiences in Hawaii. Also we went horseback riding. Everyone enjoyed the ride on the beach, but the horses were a bit small, some of the adults had very sore bottoms after their ride!
TIPS: We did make sure that we tipped everyone, as the employees work very hard to make sure we had a good experience. I believe that they would work just as hard whether you tip or not, but I know that they really appreciate receiving the tips. The Dominican people all come across as very positive and happy individuals. They are very proud of their country, which was very evident to us.

ILLNESS: All of us did get a little upset tummy while vacationing. I was sick first, my hubby next, and the kids towards the end of the week. When I say sick, I mean just a little GI disturbance, nothing to write home about. None of us felt sick for more than a day, and it didn’t keep us from doing anything- we were still able to function. My point is even though the water and ice there is safe to drink. The hotel does not use a filtration system, and the water is not safe to drink from the tap or shower. Bring Imodium and some Pepto Bismol just in case. I ate lots of salad and fruit, so that could have been what got me a little sick. Once I was over the little bug, I didn’t have a problem again. Ate whatever I wanted the whole trip.
Overall great experience!

• Liked — Beach, Service from the staff
  • Disliked — lack of resort-wide water filtration system
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family