“Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa 6/11-6/18/13”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
York, Pennsylvania
“Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa 6/11-6/18/13”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

and Judith Mordain in the World Cafe. Every day Judith was sure I got a table close to the buffet so I didn't have to walk very far! Gregory Fleming noticed the floor was wet from a downpour and took my arm to make sure I wouldn't fall when I was walking to my table. These were all things that they wouldn't have had to do but went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable! So big thanks to them! Unfortunately, I don't have the names of our main maid or bell boy who also went out of their way for us.Pool was awesome-almost like a private pool since it is so large.

Room Tip: 1000 room #'s closest to beach. 5000 closest to main eating area. 3000 right in middle. Pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen S
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings fro Dreams Punta Cana. First of all thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination and for taking the time to write your comments. We do think that the important things in a vacation are the little things that the staff do to make our guest feel great. We do think that our staff are a huge part of our resort. We will be passing on your comments to those mentioned. Once again thank you.

pmessier@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,812)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Willowick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

First time to an all-inclusive and first time to the Dominican Republic. Went with our daughter and son-in-law and had a SUPER!!! time. From the time we got there to the time we left...Everyone made sure we were being takin care of. All the staff was more than accessable, always asking if everything was MUY EXCELENTE!!!!The Entertainment staff was AWESOME....always something going on, if you wanted to get involved or just to sit buy the pool with a few drinks and watch.Alajendro, Ne-YO, DJ Mighel, Carmen,Christopher, and Marcous......added so many memories to our trip!!! Juan and Blindy at the Beachbar were the Best.....The restaurants were also very accomadating.......if you wanted more, you just ordered it.....The service was outstanding.The pool was all that it looks like in the pictures.......When we left on June 17th we were actually really bummed! We can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a suite....a lot of room, with a big bathroom!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Overall our Dreams Vacation was nice. Just a few pet peeves,.
My family consists of a 2 , 10, 17, 20 year old and me and my husband.

There were some good things and some bad things. This is long.

Ride to Resort- Keep in mind this place is 45 min to an hour from the airport. The bus ride was fine just if you have motion sickness people on board make sure they take something like Dramamine or bonnie since it is bumpy, and whiney roads.

Rooms-The rooms are outdated. They need some updating, some painting, and some touchups. Our roomed smelled of mildew throughout the whole room. Our bathroom was updated just not the room. The room was cleaned by room service but they always seemed to forget something. I thought they were supposed to do turn down service each night but out of 6 nights we had it done once. I had to call twice because whoever cleaned the room never gave us wash cloths. So two days in a row we had to call so we could wash. The Kleenex box was empty by day 2 into the vacation and no one ever replaced it. We had a family style room but the adjoining door was locked and no one had a key. We had to have maintenance come and unlock the door. The fridge was stocked the first two days but after that it was missing something. They did however seemed to leave bottles of water.

Pool and beach-The grounds were beautiful, the pool beautiful and clean. If you want floats or tubes stop by target, kmart, or walmart and bring from home. We did they were about 2.00. The ones in the gift shop are 6-8 dollars. Foam party in the pool was neat. The activities by the pool looked fun. The beach was nice and they were always raking the seaweed and sand. Loved the cabanas for the preferred guest. The drink people were always attentive on the beach. It is hit or miss by the pool. They needed more drink people by the pool. The barefoot grill is the grill on the beach. The line was always backed up. It took forever to get a hamburger or hot dog. The guy that works there is nice but he needed help. They need a minimum of 2 people working that restaurant so the orders can get some quicker and people like me are not waiting in line for 30 min for a hot dog, and I even left and came back.

Food- We ate at Oceana. It was a seafood restaurant and it had fresh fish. Service and food was good there.. We ate at the seaside grill which is the steak restaurant. Pablo was very attentive to our 4 kids. Food was pretty good. Loved the apple pies and ice cream for dessert. We had the asian and the japanese as well. These were ok. I wish the Japanese had sauces to dip the steak and chicken in. Funny thing is I asked for some ginger sauce and they bought me fresh sliced ginger. Then I asked for ginger dressing and they brought me a salad with ginger dressing. I gave up by then. The buffet was not great. We ate for dinner once and ate for lunch and did not like. Did they have a variety, yes they did just everything was not up to standard of a five star place. The oatmeal was like water. The scrambled eggs were runny. The omelets were good. The pastries were very good. Sausage and Bacon very good. Pancakes were dry and rubbery, The kids liked the French toast as it seemed they made those often and they didn’t sit long. Also I had to remember I am in a foreign country. This isn’t USDA choice hamburger. It is Dominican Cows. This isn’t Nathan hot dogs. It is there country’s brand. The food is not going to taste like the US. With that understanding you will be ok.

Entertainment-The entertainment each night was nice. The beach party on the beach was fun with the fire show. We saw a cabaret style show and that was it. We went to the casino. There are about 15 machines and 5 tables. The slots were not loose and we saw not a soul winning anything. We barely got the bars and only went once.

Excursions-My family did the zip ling tour and loved it. They said there were 12 zip lines. You are gone 4 hours because the zip lines took 2 hours and the bus ride to and from took 1 hour back and forth. We did the shopping tour. This to me was a waste. The cigar factory was 6 people sitting behind desk make cigars in one room. The chocolate factory was one large room with all different types of chocolates, chocolate tea, chocolate coffees etc. Then they have one store and everything in it you could have gotten from the duty free in the airport on the way out. It was a waste of 4 hours. Again one hour there and back and you can do the cigar factory in 5 min and the chocolate factory in 15-20 min since they do give you a presentation of how chocolate is found and made. My sister did the swim with sharks and they liked that. My other sister did the all day excursion to see a Dominican house, eat at the local restaurant etc. They said that was fabulous it was just too long. The trip took them to Santa Domingo and was educational. You don’t just want to sit at a resort all week. You can stay in the US for a whole lot cheaper and find a beach there. See the country and the people.
Weather-It was 90 degrees and very humid the whole time we were there. It rained once. You need lots of sunscreen as even being cloudy everyone still got burnt.

SPA-We did the head, neck and shoulder massage, and swedish massage. Spa is wonderful. Priced average. Massage was wonderful.

People and Workers- Everyone were nice, smiling and willing to help you. They did work hard and long hours.

Preferred Club- Same type of towels as the regular except a different color, same snacks as bakery in the lobby but the place was air conditioned. All top shelf booze in there. If you don’t ask for Grey Goose or Hennessey then you will get a generic brand everywhere else. Now for my only Gripe. The free Wi-fi. You have to get a code. The code last for 5 hours. You have to get one for each device. My daughter was taken a online class so we had to keep going to the preferred club each day to get another code instead of one code for the duration of the stay. It was ridiculous. At Secrets it was one code for the duration of the stay. This was no secrets.

Explorer Club- This is the kids club. It is for 3-12 age group. They look like they were having fun. Other people in my family used the facility and like it. My son was 2 and could not use it. I will say this , no parents are allowed in there only kids. It has a nice playground equipment but my 2 year old couldn’t use it or play on it because I couldn’t be in there and he was too young. I wish there was a playground area for the kids that they could of played on while I sat and watched or could play on with them. It was beach or pool for him.

Some Added Random Details-
There are 9 bldgs. There is a long walk from the lobby to the beach. If you are in bldg 9 you hear the entertainment till 11 pm at night. It is so humid the outside of the doors were sweating. Bring Bug Spray for beach and night. There airport is outside so you have to go down the stairs and walk into the hutted airport. They collect 10 dollars per person to enter the country before you even get your bags. Even for a 2 month old or 2 year old. We were out of 60 bucks and we hadn’t gone through customs or immigration. There are bag people everywhere trying to get your attention and your tips. They do have vendors come to the resort and sell a variety of things. They are extremely overpriced. Bargain down to your comfortable level because they think you are not smart and will play crazy prices for jewelry you can make.

Room Tip: I would get a room in the middle of the resort so it is not a long walk to beach or lobby
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank marriedwchildren
Dear Guest

Greetings from Punta Cana. First of all thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your vacation. We do appreciate all of your comments and we will be passing them on to our operations staff so we can take note of the little details that you have mentioned. Also we will be passing on these comments to the excursions tour. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Overall facilities - Resort is about 1 hour away from airport. If you can buy transfers from your travel agent, get them because a tax will run you aroune $70. Accommodations - Very clean and beautiful. We paid for a swim up room. Downside to this is that the pool closes at 6pm so what's the point. Also, there aren't any stairs or drop down ladders to enter the pool from your room. You have to jump in but if you're not into that stuff and like to WALK in the water you pretty much can't. Lucky for us we got upgraded to a junior suite with a jacuzzi so that was way much better. After the pool closed we could soak in the jacuzzi in our room. Entertainment - The usual fanfare you get at an all-inclusive resort, aerobics in the pool, shows at night, beach parties....all fun. But I have to give a shout out to Christopher Roa in the entertainment crew! This guy is a ball of energy! So pleasant, so professional, makes you feel so welcome! Way to go Chris!!! Food - I was here in 2009 and this is the only reason I'm giving this resort 4 circles instead of 5. When I came in 2009 the buffet at the World Cafe was literally WALL-TO-WALL. You couldn't even go through the entire buffet. Now it was 60% less! I was shocked. The quality and quantitiy of food has declined greatly! The items they did have were good. I only tried one of the a la carte, the Portofino (Italian) and it was ok. We also tried the Seaside Grill which specialized in steaks, but we had a 45 minute wait and then there were no beepers available to hold even if we had wanted to wait. Get there early if you want to get it because it's pretty popular. I'm not a drinker so the drinks tasted fine to me, but my husband who likes to drink said the drinks are always watered downso he bought his own liquor at the airport and drank that the whole time. Best pool ever!!!!!!! Beach was a little cold (not like the beaches on the sough part of the island) but overall nice. A little rocky. The photographers walking around are awesome! We had a fabulous photo shoot done on the beach so I highly recommend this. The spa was also very nice and very accommodating. I didn't like the manicure and pedicure I got...not up to my standards, but if you need a quick polish change it'll suffice. A lot of kids around so if you're looking for a quiet resort, this is not it.

Room Tip: Pool closes at 6pm so a swim up room is not worth it. The junior suites with jacuzzi are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. First of all thank you for taking the time to write your review. We would like to inform you that pool hours are now up to 7 pm since we are in the summer and that some of our buildings do have stairs leading inside the pool. Also we are happy to see that you have enjoyed our suite and there jacuzzi. as for our food we do cater to people from all over the world and even do we know that we have a great food offer we are sad to see that it did not live up to your expectations. Once again thank you for your comments.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were at Dreams Punta Cana on June 7th to June 14th 2013 (room 2110) and absolutely loved it!

From the moment we arrived, every single person who worked at the resort was extremely friendly and eager to please. The accommodations were awesome. We upgraded to a room with access to the lazy river. Lots to do on the resort as well as fun excursions off the resort. All of the restaurants offered delicious cuisine and the drinks were terrific. The manager Juan Castoros was more than helpful and truly wanted us to have a great time. I highly, highly recommend Dreams Punta Cana!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with access to the lazy river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michael G
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to write youre review. we are thrilled to see that you have enjoyed so much our resort and our staff. We will be passing on your comments to Gian Carlos our chief concierge. Once again thank you for your lovely review.

Blossburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Weather was beautiful, food was delicious, service was outstanding, and our room was newly renovated. The grounds are lush and very well maintained. The beach is well groomed, too.
The shops were well stocked with gift items and fairly priced. Coffee, for example was less expensive than duty free at the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank larjean
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed so our resort and it was a pleasure for us to have you here.

We do hope to have you back with us next year.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

overall the place is good but i expected a little bit better for a 5 star hotel as i stayed at other 4.5 star and they feel pretty much the same. The room is little dated but who stays in their room when you on a vacation. The service at the hotel was one of the best i have had so that was really good. I have to say that the buffet for a 5 star was not good at all you will find something you will like but their are not too many items at the buffet. I just ate enough to hold me over for the the ala cart resturant at night. The ala carts were good i enjoyed the sea side grill for steak as i had the prime rib and i really enjoyed it alot. However there was like a group of us that ate asain ala cart and 7 of them got food posine but it was the best tasty one which was sad cause we were all scared to go back to there. the wedding day for our friend was great. At the beach side grill there is lobster that you can buy and they will cook for you and you can bargain will them i got 5 lobsters 1 jumbo one and 4 average ones for 55 usd and that was a great deal as you get some side like vegs and rice a potaotoes so that is a must if you like lobster and it was great scenery as we were staring in front of the beach overall it was a great place expect for the buffet for limited selections but the customer service was the best so kudos for that

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments about your stay. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed our service and our staff. We have passed on your comments to our chef about the buffet. But we want you to know that we make daily changes to our food offer so we can cater to all tastes. As for your experience at the Asian we would like for you to know that all of our products are fresh and that sometimes on vacation between a lot of food, some drinks and all the stomach can get a little tricky but we would like for you to know that this is not food poisoning. Once again thank you for all of your comments.