“Never again! Worst resort ever!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Never again! Worst resort ever!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at dreams in the Dominican Republic for my best friends wedding. Upon arrival we not greeted at the door by anyone. After finally getting the attention of someone at the front desk we were brought to our first room where there were fixtures missing from the walls, the ceiling in the bathroom was falling down, there was water damage to the ceiling above the beds, holes in the walls where I can only assume the fixtures once were placed and the paint was coming off all the doors. We called the front desk and was told someone would get right back to us. After waiting over and hour and a half we went to the front desk and asked to be put in another room and were told there were no more rooms available. Meanwhile a family member was checking in and was up graded to a nicer room because dreams had made a "mistake" and overbooked the swim up rooms. We then asked the front desk if we could speak with a manager and we were told no. After arguing with the front desk for over three hours we were finally put in another room where the wall Thermostat was broken and hanging off the wall! We only stayed for five days but it took the managerial staff four days to get back to us And we were told there was nothing that could be done Even after they were appalled at the photographs of the room that we showed them! The waitresses waiters bartenders room service personnel Were all absolutely wonderful As for their front desk and managers Maybe they should take a class in customer service.
36 of us from all over the world came she dreams in DR for our friends wedding and almost every one of us had an issue with the room. All of us decides we will never stay in any dreams resort ever again due to the treatment we received.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank DeeDers5
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. I would like to comment that during your visit we had full occupancy and that your friends did get an upgrade since they had both a swimout room and it was not available. We are sorry the you did not get upgraded also but we did have your room type available. Thanks for your comments.

pmessier@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,934)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed at Dreams just this past January. Overall the resort was good, the horror stories about the rooms are not true they are small but not dated and full of mold! They were clean.....but trying to get housekeeping to bring us extra towels or clean our room before 5 pm each day was quite the challenge! Food was good not excellent but good. The entertainment during the day and the shows at night were Wonderful!!! Bars and beach service was excellent. Pool was huge! CAUTION if you have children, they have a inflatable climber at one end of the pool my son jumped off it and cut his foot badly on a broken tile on the bottom of the pool! Informed the concierge and he swore they would fix it..... Didn't happen!
Would I go back No would I recommend maybe if you want a cheap average vacation!

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Jbark2324
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look at all of these comments as positive feedback to help us create a better client experience. We discuss these in our daily briefings and find ways to make it better. ounce again thank you.

springfield, IL
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a great trip. The resort was quite nice except for the fact that it is one hour from the airport, the casino is horrible and they served scotch and coke when they ran out of Jack Daniels. The service was top notch especially in the wine room. Bad practices in the casino is probably why no one was there. Actually let you double and split cards when dealer showing a face card and then if deal draws blackjack you loose..... This is what prompted the review, and is unacceptable in our opinion. Will return to Punta Cana just probably pick another resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank newindigo
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thanks for taking the time to write your comments and we will be looking into your issues with the casino. Since they are an outside company and are not related to the Dreams hotel. But we do expect all within to give the same level of service that we give. So we will be looking at your comments with there management.

London
Reviewed April 17, 2013

All the staff were excellente , the entertainment team were great and the hotel staff were very helpful. All the shows were great . Big thanks to Stephanie , swagger, Ne Yo, Alejandro , arismendy . Volleyball, beach games and pool games were well run and great fun.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mark S
Dear Guest

First of all thank for thinking of us as the best resort in the DR. We do think the same way and we are proud of all the little things that we do to make sure that you the guest have a great experience. We will be passing on you message to our entertainment team and we hope that you will visit again.

bradford ontario canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Dreams is a beautiful resort. For the price paid you can't beat it. The ladies at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. Everyone on the staff was friendly and professional and very attentive to providing a nice vacation experience for the guest. The teens had a variety of activities in the Core Zone and the staff there became friends. The grounds are very well kept with lush gardens and varying views. Nice clean meandering pool. The beach is beautiful and spacious. Actually, that is a good word to describe the resort - spacious. We never felt overcrowded, however, be prepared to walk. For those who have some sort of infirmity, a wheelchair may be necessary. The ocean is calm enough for swimming, but not as clear as the Carribean for good snorkeling. The nightly shows were entertaining especially the circus and the entertainment staff does an excellent job in keeping everyone smiling especially on western night with lots of audience involvement and laughter. They also know how to keep the day full of life with lots of fun activities. Never a boring moment. The restaurants served excellent food and the service was always first class. A favorite was El Patio serving Mexican food. We even brought the fish we caught in the day back to the hotel and the chef gladly prepared it, enough for all ten of us travelling together and much more for other guests to enjoy too. The bar staff was lively and fun. The rooms were good, clean and comfortable for the amount of time we spent there. Not the largest or most modern rooms but we didn't upgrade so I don't know how they compare. The beds were comfortable. The room safe didn't work when we first arrived, but within a few minutes it was repaired. Housekeeping met our request for an extra table for luggage. The gym was clean, spacious and smelled amazing. All in all, it was a great experience. Thanks to the staff and friends made at Dreams for keeping us dreaming!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank angi-pangi
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are thrilled that you had such a good time and we are pleased that you liked so much our Patio restaurant. We take the time to make our tortillas hand made and we think that it is worth it. We hope that you will come back and visit.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

A holiday is what you make of it and who you go with, the resort and facilities add to that enjoyment. I was lucky enough to go to Dreams with family and close friends.

The resort itself is well maintained with a huge pool and plenty of sunbeds and space around to laze the days away. The grounds are impeccably maintained the beach is cleared daily of any litter and sea debris, and the pool also hoovered and cleaned each morning.

Our kids were entertained in the Core Zone by the caring staff there -Jesus Santana and Wander.
The adults were kept supplied with drinks from the Barracuda bar with Larissa and Elizabeth regularly round fetching cocktails and offering suggestions to try. We were all looked after the most though by Julio Perez and Juan Carlos in the restaurants, and they really pulled out the stops to make eating in the restaurants even more of a pleasure.
The food in all the restaurants was excellent and the presentation beyond expectations. The Asian restaurant has to be singled out as outstanding for both the food and the staff, Yefry Santanou a waiter with the world's biggest smile and Gabriel one of the teppanyaki chefs who is entertaining at full volume. The staff throughout the resort are friendly, professional and all keen to make your stay the best it can be.
My wife and friend tried out a massage in the spa and came back full of praise, the gym is well equipped but does get very hot.

We had a family deluxe room for two adults and two children, which consisted of interconnecting rooms with the first having a queen size bed and the second two double beds, there was more than enough room for us.

We all enjoyed an excellent stay, the only negative comment I would make is the fire alarm went off several times on two successive nights (very early morning) and no explanations or apology made by the resort manager. Pascal was sent a note asking for an explanation (none received) and when asked about it direct he failed to take any responsibility -he could do with some customer relation tips from the staff -any of whom could help him out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ken I
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your vacaction and had a good time. As for the fire alarm issue we did speak about this by the pool, in that occasion i did mention to you that we had called the service company for the fire alarm. I am sorry that i did not give you a technical answer but the issue was resolved the day you left. We hope to have you back with us.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I came to this resort for a wedding with about 30 of my family members along with children, and I stayed for four days. I do want to mention that I have also stayed at the Dreams Palm Beach which is the nicer resort, so I was comparing the two..With that said and after reading some recent reviews about Dreams Punta Cana, I was scared to stay here.. Petrified to say the least, some of these negative reviews are not on point in my opinion. This is not a five star resort but not a crappy one either. I was pleasantly surprised with Dreams Punta Cana. It is by no means the same caliber as Dreams Palm Beach but it was a nice resort with its pros and cons. It was nice, clean, and the service was spectacular. My room was in great condition there was no mold or weird smells and it was cleaned immaculately. The safe was fully functional and the mini bar which is free of charge was always stocked. I did not utilize the room service, but knowing it was available put me at ease. The beds in the room were some of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. The pillows were way too high, I had to sleep sans pillow for four days. Not good at all I did not have a good nights' sleep. As far as the food is concerned this is where I think the resort lacks the full five stars. The food here is average, not gross or not tasty by any means, but not wonderful. The restaurants give you very small portions so make sure you order two entrees per person, this was a major reason what makes the place not a five star to me. My first night after eating at Portofino with my family, we had to go to the buffet after because we were hungry. However, on the same token the buffet here I have to say is pretty good. Huge selection and everything is fresh. Most importantly, none of the food I ate at this resort made me sick. Also no reservations are required for restaurants here, and that in my book is a plus. There is a cafe called "Coco Cafe" which offers great pastries, cappuccino, mocha lattes, espresso, I recommend it. The drinks at the bar are also good, I recommend the "Bob Marley" which seemed to be the drink of choice among the guests. I did eat at the outside grill on the beach and amazingly did not get sick so another plus for this resort. Another pro about this resort is the pool! Amazing pool here which is in the style of a lazy river. The downside is that the pool is great because it compensates for the crappy beach. I made a trip to Punta Cana and I could not go in the ocean because of the killer rocks in the ocean!!! Huge FAIL!! Not really the resorts fault unless they can go into the ocean and drill them out, but something to consider. If you have small children I advise that you use the pool not the ocean, too dangerous.. The minute my boyfriend stepped in the water he almost cut his foot. There is drink service at the beach so you do not even have to get up, so that was also a plus. The service at this resort was great, no complaints. Everyone was very attentive and professional. Another con about this resort is that it is in the middle of no where! If you do need or want to leave the resort for any reason, there is nothing else around. Overall, I would say the Dreams Punta Cana is an average resort which is affordable and family friendly. I have no major complaints or anything truely negative to say about my stay. Yes the Dreams Palm Beach is better but this place was also nice as well. It was its pros and cons just like any other resort and the cons to me are the beach, beds, food portions and location. I do not think I would come back but not because of the resort service or food, but because the beds were so uncomfortable!! Dreams needs to improve this! this is a nice resort which is great for families minus the couple tid bits. Lastly to mention, I was here for a wedding and the same day there were 7 weddings to take place at this resort. Something to consider if you are a bride to be.

• Stayed April 2013