“5th time at Dreams PC”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our 5th time staying at Dreams Punta Cana. We keep coming back because the staff are AMAZING, especially Jose Garcia! We were very disappointed a lot of the staff had been let go, but the new staff are very pleasant and go out of their way.

The rooms are getting a little dated and I would suspect that renos will be coming soon. When we were there in Feb 2011, they had done a major upgrade to the rooms.

People who complain about waiting annoy me. You're on vacation!

The food is all restuarants is EXCELLENT, except I've never been too crazy about the Asian Resturant. I've never enjoyed this one any of times I've been but the manager did tell us they were working on a new menu so I will try it next time I go. I love that they have the wine cellar and my husband and I had a few bottles of Robert Mondavi!

The pool rocks! The foam party although this was the first time we participated in it, was so much fun!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise P
Write a ReviewReviews (11,958)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Dreams Punta Cana should be a great experience, but lots of little issues add up to make it only an ok experience. We arrived after 20 hours of travel at 5 pm to be told our room wasn't ready. After a 45 minute wait we finally were given a room. We were given a swim up room which we hadn't booked, so that was a nice perk, however the lock on the sliding patio door did not work. To avoid more hassle dealing with front desk we rigged up our own system. After a couple days we had a problem with the door handle for the main room entrance - it fell off every time it was turned. Staff were aware but did not do anything about it. Minibar was not properly stocked unless we called and complained - we did not get beer in it for several days. Coffee maker was broken. Housekeeping never came before 5pm.
As many have noted, the beach is rough. Water activities were cancelled every single day we were there.
Food was abundant, but not great. Best meal was at the asian restaurant, the rest were bland and uninspired. Avoid the bbq shack on the beach, it isn't good and will likely make you sick.
The good things about the resort were the pool - it really is amazing - and the wait staff around the pool. All the staff at the resort were friendly, but in some cases tried to too hard and became annoying. They take your bags whether you like it or not, and then expect a tip for moving them.
The resort is located away from other resorts and towns, so there is nothing to do unless it is an organized excursion, and these have lengthy travel times.
Had a manicure at the spa which was poorly done and did not last. I could have done better myself.
Overall the resort has a generic feeling, it has a luxurious facade, but lots of issues and no personality. I felt like I could have been anywhere and did not get a sense of Dominican culture. The only positive aspects of the resort are the friendly bar/service staff and the pool.

Room Tip: If you want a swim up room, try and get one in building 5, this end of the pool was almost always em...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jm_pep
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We are spending our last night here as I type. Normally i am NOT a complainer. After all, PUnta cana is like paradise BUT this experience has been average at best. I have only ever wrote one review in my 15 years of travel and it was ALL exceptionally positive. However this time is different. The only good thing that happened was we were moved from our original room to a suite after complaining the first day. The hotel is very old and it shows. If I'd of had to stay in that room for a week I'd of switched resorts for sure. Where to start, food is just okay. There's NEVER any chairs, either at the beach or pool. If you shower between 5:30 and 7 pm there's no hot water and NO pressure either. Staff is rude and in their own little world, not at all accommodating even when they're tipped. ALWAYS had to wait, whether it be at the bar, coffee cafe or a restaurant because they're under staffed in those areas for as many people they have as guests. I feel obligated to tell the world as well, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take the Boogie excursion, it's truly a NIGHTMARE. We did it through APPLE Vacations rep, and although Santos was very accommodating, the excursion was HORRIBLE and there's no other word for it. Hope this helps. I would NOT recommend this hotel nor will I come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mschowlyn
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at the resort mid afternoon to be given drinks and towels as soon as we walked in. The perfect start to a vacation! Check in took less than 15 minutes and we were on our to the room. There is a very tropical feel here, many palm trees, cabanas, the way the pool wraps around the resort. The room was clean, mini fridge was stocked, it was a little damp but this is the caribbean. The pool, the beach it didn't matter they both had wait staff to keep the drinks coming and a few bucks tipping go a long way. Food is good, I'd say it leans towards an American cuisine but there is some international flavor as well. No reservations for the speciality restaurants is a big plus. The buffet has a huge selection if the other restaurants aren't appealing. There was never a problem with room service, a bite before dinner, late night snack, always had good service and we always tipped a couple bucks. The staff is friendly and wants to help as much as they can to make it an enjoyable vacation. We've been here twice and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Clint J
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hector and Elvira were the best people to help you at the front desk/club room. they were great to all my guests. they did everthing they could to make us happy. we have been coming since the 80's but we will not go any other place now . This was our 8 th time in a row to dreams P C and we love everything about this place. Francisco in mexican rest was so grand he helped us with res for the reseraunts on properity, there was nothing he would not do for us. Julio, mgr in world cafe was so sweet to us and greeted us with a smile everyday and gave us great service. Ramon in portofinos was so sweet and kind and go to know us all week and never failed to talk to us he even sang to us.Marquaritte in oceana hostess with the mostest. she was so swwet and friendly an remember us from last year that was great. carmen in the entertaiment group was so nice to us everyday adnd spoke to us all the time and helped me with the venders. yudith in world cafe greeted us everyday with a hug and smile great gal. santos nuel the apple rep was wonderful he talked to us everyday and some of us did not use apple but he was friendly to all of us and remembere us from last year. charlie and isaac in room service was great and did a lot for us. alba the maid did a great job with flowers and making things with bed cover tipped her well. and one of the best things was Mari in the spa, best massage i ever had and she had me relaxed in 15 min great gal. please let all these people know how special they made us feel and the food was grand. thanks for everything you all did

Room Tip: swim out room the best
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tubby4uk
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just got back from a week in dreams punta cana......with my family. Fantastic resort...Have been to dreams cancun and three other resorts in the DR but this was by far the best. I am rather particular regarding food freshness and variety...and this place delivered. We always do the Preferred Club if the resort offers it..so we had our own private check in ...this is a great family place....plenty of space by the pool and on the beach...its not a huge place but not tiny either like zoetry....The resort is an hour from the airport but once you arrive you are greeted with a cool fresh towel . The place was completely booked and they were offering upgrades and perks if you would try out one of their other resorts. Never ever saw the timeshare guys that kind of haunted us in Dreams Cancun. Plenty of bars....plenty of restaurant choices...the entertainment nightly was mixed some great shows some not to my taste but they had almost nightly live jazz music so I was very happy. The grounds are immaculate...I mean not a straw or a napkin to be found on the ground. I heard some guy tell a passing employee that there was a loose board on one of the bridges over the pool...An hour later it was fixed. I have been unimpressed with staff attitude elsewhere but these people really seemed to mean it when they said "its a pleasure" The room was ok...a little on the old side but we never spent any time in the room anyways. The casino is nice and small but never a wait to play blackjack or poker. The preferred club has breakfast and lunch options almost right on the water with the water views and was NEVER a wait. Entertainment staff was friendly and there is a full schedule of events from ping pong tourney to foam party at the beach. The beach service was great in the preferred club section and they have these 10 foot by 10 foot elevated beds to lounge in with sheer curtains to give a little shade. Daily fruit stand for the fruit on a stick....Guys on the beach cutting up the coconuts for drinks. We are torn between coming back next year or trying someplace new but this is a real winner. I try not to do any excursions but manuel talked me into the beach side horse ride ( my daughter is a rider so I thought she would enjoy this) OK ride and they actually let you trot or canter if you have the skill level. There is a tiny hidden in plain sight restaurant between two restaurants on the beach and all you had to do was buy a bottle of wine to have dinner there....My family likes wine so that was easy for us and it wasnt all 80 dollar bottles. Carlos and Valentine were the waiters there. I'm not a buffet guy but even the buffet was quite good. My wife and I splurged for the romantic dinner on the beach and the steak and lobster was fantastic..My wife has a gluten allergy and we got a letter from the concierge which she presented to each dinning place which was very helpful. My one comment is that the large oversized painting at the concierge desk is disturbing to look at. Really odd artwork but thats probably just me.Nobody else seemed to mind. THe concierge said someone from new york was by last week and wanted to buy it...wish they had.! My wife went to the gym daily so I guess she was happy with it ...I did not use the spa but most of my family did...spa was extra but you are usually givenn coupons which take a little of the sting out. Free wifi resort wide for the preferred club. Pool was huge and again spotless.Nothing to do after midnight most nights. although the "disco" was open nightly until 2-3 as was the casino ..which was fine...disco place never had more that 10 people when I checked between casino visits...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank torbarry
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at this resort for 7 days, for a wedding. It was the most "meh" experience that I paid good money for..ever! I stayed in June of 2012. The room air conditioning was not working most of the days I stayed there. The food was okay..nothing great or even memorable. If anybody really reads this.. I'll break it down for you...
The room was hot and humid... making the floor slick...
The staff was rude and not very friendly.
Everybody that works there are always trying to sell you something. Now, it's great that they bring the flea market into the resort on some nights...but come on...
The pool was great ... but the beach furniture was broken, nasty and was not kept well..at all.
The alcohol choice was pretty good.... I guess you'd need all the alcohol you can get with this place.
The lobby of this resort was BEAUTIFUL!..and that's about it
The room really needs upgrading. ..
Lastly.. I got rashes on my arms and body from the bed sheets.
The maids who made up the room were very nice though!.. I always left them a good tip and they appreciated it.
Not worth the price paid!!

Room Tip: Rooms anywhere than this resort..
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends