New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vienna, Virginia, United States
“Family vacation at Dreams”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at Dreams from Nov 16-23. Great weather. 1hr away from the airport. Terrible roads and bad drivers when it comes to safety. All of the staff were friendly and very courteous. A special thank to the ladies in Kids club; Paty, Caro, Cristina and Stephane. My kids loved to stay there for activities and movie time.The pool is 3ft deep everywhere and perfect for my 6 year old son and 9 year old daughter. The food was good, but I had to take immodium for 3 days, not sure if that was from the food/water or from drinks. Dreams Punta Cana has a nice and long beach, but there were waves almost the whole week, so the water were not very clear. The beach is located on the North of the Island, that means you have the sun the opposite way of the water. I need to watch my kids in the water and prefer to have the sun in my face. All in all we had an excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,577)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

When you look at the reviews for this place you have to laugh! Someone gives it 5 stars even though they had no hot water early in the morning and the power goes off but hey that's part of the experience like camping out lol. The concierge asks her Facebook friends to write great reviews.Even when you read the reviews that are given 5 stars you still here the mention of the small problems they incurred.I have been here and this is far from a top notch hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Craig S
Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at Dreams Punta Cana from july 14th to july 28 2012 and had a great time. The grounds were amazing, very clean and well manicured. They have the biggest free form swimming pool i have ever seen, its not deep, but great for swimming and walking through. All the restaurants that we got a chance to eat at were very good, no complaints. The staff we very friendly and helpful, i have read some reviews where they have said the staff were rude but we didnt see it. The room was excellent, we got a free upgrade to swim up room, the air conditioning was ice cold, lots of hot water. I think the only thing we were disappointed in was the beach, their was a lot of seaweed, plus it was difficult to wade out any distance because it got deep quickly. I think if this resort was on isla saona it would be perfect, we did a day trip there, it was very tropical, white sand beach and the water there reminded me of negril, amazing. We would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Darren R
nottingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Returned from Dreams on November 27 after two wonderful weeks with my husband, daughter, son-in-law, and two young grandsons.
The resort is beautifully designed, with a long winding pool which stretches right through the property to the beach. It is very well designed because there are places where very young children can enjoy splashing about on the pool shelf, while the older ones can jump into the pool in the three-foot depth, while down towards the beach end there is a swim-up bar that will keep those adults happy who prefer to socialise and relax with a sunny cocktail in their hands.

My daughter and family were given a two-room connecting suite, while my husband and I had a deluxe double in another building, which worked very well for us all. The rooms are exquisite and the beds were huge and very comfortable. Bedding is changed every other day and is of a very high quality. Exchange of towels was a bit hit and miss ... changed, but sometimes we only had one and on other occasions we were left three. We were left no soap, but plenty of shampoo and shower gel. There is a mini-bar that is kept stocked with water, soft drinks and beers. Make sure you have plenty of water as you must use this to make your tea/coffee and to clean your teeth, as well as drinking.

One day, our in-room safe stopped working and an engineer was round to sort out the problem within 10 minutes of our reporting it.

The Food:
The food in all the restaurants was excellent. The buffet had a huge choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the way they displayed the salads was the best I have seen on any AI I have been on.
We were there for Thanksgiving Day and the banquet the chefs put on in the main buffet was absolutely magnificent. The huge turkeys, hams, wide range of vegetables and salads were superb, but the dessert area was a joy to behold, with amazing chocolate creations and spun sugar decorations bringing gasps from the guests.

The speciality restaurants were also very good. I was glad to see that you didn't have to pre- book any of them and we had no trouble getting tables in any of them. The best of these was the Italian called Portofino, though children are not allowed in here, and the wine here is very good indeed.

The staff, from cleaners, waiters, restaurant greeters, bar staff, were all fantastic and very welcoming.

Overall, our party agreed that this was one of the best AI we had done and would have no hesitation in recommending this resort on to any of our friends and relatives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank trishwnottingham
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Almost every morning I would see one of the animators in the internet lounge, hovering over a guest, as he would dictate a review for trip advisor. So BEWARE the reviews for this hotel.

Went down with a group of friends and have to say the service was below average. The staff was incredibly rude and always trying to hustle you into doing something that cost money.
The beach was dirty and the water full of see weed. You can't walk two feet without being hassled by vendors, and these guys are very aggressive.

The bar service at night is a joke. I have never met such rude waitresses in my life, and bartenders who can't mix a drink if their life depended on it. How do you screw up a rum and coke?

The room was a nice size, but the air conditioning is pitiful. and lets not mention our little lizard friend who would join us every now and then.

The food was good, but expect to eat the same thing every day.

Overall I was not impressed and will not be going back to Dominican, let alone this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheAnthony
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked a deluxe room from 11/24/11 to 11/29/11, all inclusive, transporation from the airport to the resort - both ways. We arrived at the resort and we were Welcomed with a drink...then we understood that no room for us because of some construction issues.. We talk with the hotel manager and he offered us for 1 night a room in the other Dreams Resort free of charge untill the next day. We were upset and tired but the manager took care of everything...We got a suite instead of a deluxe room, 2 free spa visits, and the friendly and happy ending of the problems. THANK YOU for making our stay pleasant and happy... The room was perfect, the buffet was more then expected, drinks free when you want and how you want...The spa more then our expectations...everything was perfect, the view, the restaurants, everything, quite place, even you can hear the rain drops nicely and peacefully..that quite, no airplanes every few minutes...We loved there and we always recommended to our friends this place...We had the great time ever...We will be back some day when we have enough for a vacation again...We want to say BIG THANK YOU to the manager stuff and all employees there...for making our stay so happy and making us enjoying the resort...THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarianaBG
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I read reviews and was worried about this trip due to hearing some negative things.
Every place has it's positives and negatives and in the end Dreams Puna Cana has more positives. I don't have much to compare too however here was my personal experience...

POSITIVES:
-Amazing pool
-Well kept grounds (always saw staff working away at something from trimming hedges to washing the paths)
-Beautiful in general - great atmosphere
-Top-notch entertainment/shows
-Super friendly staff - always so happy!
-Great spa!

NEGATIVES
-Not the best rooms (we had an upgraded swim-out room building 5) - it's humid in the Dominican I understand, but everything felt damp and the bedding had a funny smell which I read on here from others - it's wasn't a huge deal and didn't ruin our trip! The air-conditioner was COLD and didn't help the damp feeling...
-More near the end of our stay both my boyfriend and I kept having intentional issues. Pepto didn't do much in aiding this. I never felt "sick" but I got cramping and went to the bathroom more then normal. I am hoping now as today is my first day back that it will go away on it's own. I will add we were careful not to use tap water for anything and brought our own hand-sanitizer with us. We checked our food to make sure it was fully cooked each time also so I really do not know where this came from.
-I will also add that it didn't seem like our room was ready for us when we arrived - the safe was broken, we were missing a DVD player and beverages in our mini fridge. However when we called we got a new safe, a DVD player etc. All was easily taken care of and we didn't have to worry about it for the rest of our trip.

In the end I would not return due to the intentional issues... not much fun and prevents you from wanting to do any excursions. I did however still have a wonderful time and I know not everyone experiences the issues we did. The day we spent at the spa was my favourite I recommend that to anyone! Also go down to the beach at night - the beds down there are great for star-gazing. It's worth the reservation at the Himitsu restaurant was a very good show and food! I liked the food overall even though it didn't seem to like me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple