“Great Experience !!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada
“Great Experience !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at Dreams Punta Cana from july 14th to july 28 2012 and had a great time. The grounds were amazing, very clean and well manicured. They have the biggest free form swimming pool i have ever seen, its not deep, but great for swimming and walking through. All the restaurants that we got a chance to eat at were very good, no complaints. The staff we very friendly and helpful, i have read some reviews where they have said the staff were rude but we didnt see it. The room was excellent, we got a free upgrade to swim up room, the air conditioning was ice cold, lots of hot water. I think the only thing we were disappointed in was the beach, their was a lot of seaweed, plus it was difficult to wade out any distance because it got deep quickly. I think if this resort was on isla saona it would be perfect, we did a day trip there, it was very tropical, white sand beach and the water there reminded me of negril, amazing. We would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Darren R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,632)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
nottingham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Returned from Dreams on November 27 after two wonderful weeks with my husband, daughter, son-in-law, and two young grandsons.
The resort is beautifully designed, with a long winding pool which stretches right through the property to the beach. It is very well designed because there are places where very young children can enjoy splashing about on the pool shelf, while the older ones can jump into the pool in the three-foot depth, while down towards the beach end there is a swim-up bar that will keep those adults happy who prefer to socialise and relax with a sunny cocktail in their hands.

My daughter and family were given a two-room connecting suite, while my husband and I had a deluxe double in another building, which worked very well for us all. The rooms are exquisite and the beds were huge and very comfortable. Bedding is changed every other day and is of a very high quality. Exchange of towels was a bit hit and miss ... changed, but sometimes we only had one and on other occasions we were left three. We were left no soap, but plenty of shampoo and shower gel. There is a mini-bar that is kept stocked with water, soft drinks and beers. Make sure you have plenty of water as you must use this to make your tea/coffee and to clean your teeth, as well as drinking.

One day, our in-room safe stopped working and an engineer was round to sort out the problem within 10 minutes of our reporting it.

The Food:
The food in all the restaurants was excellent. The buffet had a huge choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the way they displayed the salads was the best I have seen on any AI I have been on.
We were there for Thanksgiving Day and the banquet the chefs put on in the main buffet was absolutely magnificent. The huge turkeys, hams, wide range of vegetables and salads were superb, but the dessert area was a joy to behold, with amazing chocolate creations and spun sugar decorations bringing gasps from the guests.

The speciality restaurants were also very good. I was glad to see that you didn't have to pre- book any of them and we had no trouble getting tables in any of them. The best of these was the Italian called Portofino, though children are not allowed in here, and the wine here is very good indeed.

The staff, from cleaners, waiters, restaurant greeters, bar staff, were all fantastic and very welcoming.

Overall, our party agreed that this was one of the best AI we had done and would have no hesitation in recommending this resort on to any of our friends and relatives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank trishwnottingham
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Almost every morning I would see one of the animators in the internet lounge, hovering over a guest, as he would dictate a review for trip advisor. So BEWARE the reviews for this hotel.

Went down with a group of friends and have to say the service was below average. The staff was incredibly rude and always trying to hustle you into doing something that cost money.
The beach was dirty and the water full of see weed. You can't walk two feet without being hassled by vendors, and these guys are very aggressive.

The bar service at night is a joke. I have never met such rude waitresses in my life, and bartenders who can't mix a drink if their life depended on it. How do you screw up a rum and coke?

The room was a nice size, but the air conditioning is pitiful. and lets not mention our little lizard friend who would join us every now and then.

The food was good, but expect to eat the same thing every day.

Overall I was not impressed and will not be going back to Dominican, let alone this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TheAnthony
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked a deluxe room from 11/24/11 to 11/29/11, all inclusive, transporation from the airport to the resort - both ways. We arrived at the resort and we were Welcomed with a drink...then we understood that no room for us because of some construction issues.. We talk with the hotel manager and he offered us for 1 night a room in the other Dreams Resort free of charge untill the next day. We were upset and tired but the manager took care of everything...We got a suite instead of a deluxe room, 2 free spa visits, and the friendly and happy ending of the problems. THANK YOU for making our stay pleasant and happy... The room was perfect, the buffet was more then expected, drinks free when you want and how you want...The spa more then our expectations...everything was perfect, the view, the restaurants, everything, quite place, even you can hear the rain drops nicely and peacefully..that quite, no airplanes every few minutes...We loved there and we always recommended to our friends this place...We had the great time ever...We will be back some day when we have enough for a vacation again...We want to say BIG THANK YOU to the manager stuff and all employees there...for making our stay so happy and making us enjoying the resort...THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarianaBG
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I read reviews and was worried about this trip due to hearing some negative things.
Every place has it's positives and negatives and in the end Dreams Puna Cana has more positives. I don't have much to compare too however here was my personal experience...

POSITIVES:
-Amazing pool
-Well kept grounds (always saw staff working away at something from trimming hedges to washing the paths)
-Beautiful in general - great atmosphere
-Top-notch entertainment/shows
-Super friendly staff - always so happy!
-Great spa!

NEGATIVES
-Not the best rooms (we had an upgraded swim-out room building 5) - it's humid in the Dominican I understand, but everything felt damp and the bedding had a funny smell which I read on here from others - it's wasn't a huge deal and didn't ruin our trip! The air-conditioner was COLD and didn't help the damp feeling...
-More near the end of our stay both my boyfriend and I kept having intentional issues. Pepto didn't do much in aiding this. I never felt "sick" but I got cramping and went to the bathroom more then normal. I am hoping now as today is my first day back that it will go away on it's own. I will add we were careful not to use tap water for anything and brought our own hand-sanitizer with us. We checked our food to make sure it was fully cooked each time also so I really do not know where this came from.
-I will also add that it didn't seem like our room was ready for us when we arrived - the safe was broken, we were missing a DVD player and beverages in our mini fridge. However when we called we got a new safe, a DVD player etc. All was easily taken care of and we didn't have to worry about it for the rest of our trip.

In the end I would not return due to the intentional issues... not much fun and prevents you from wanting to do any excursions. I did however still have a wonderful time and I know not everyone experiences the issues we did. The day we spent at the spa was my favourite I recommend that to anyone! Also go down to the beach at night - the beds down there are great for star-gazing. It's worth the reservation at the Himitsu restaurant was a very good show and food! I liked the food overall even though it didn't seem to like me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Miranda F
Marietta, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed at the Dreams Punta Cana from November 5th -12th and had an awesome time. The weather was great, awesome pool and swim up bar. And the food was excellent at each restaurant along with the buffet which is open for each meal. Got married on the beach with our parents in attendance, our wedding coordinator was great and helped all along the way with planning and preperation, thanks a ton Daniela Schmickartz! We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brandon B
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my second trip to Dreams Punta Cana. Last year I travelled with a close friend, we went on the less expensive side and we loved every minute because we are that sort of people. This year, I went with 2 other people and we all stayed in the same room. I was happy to have upgraded to the preferred club and I was not disappointed. The room was well appointed and very pretty. The safe needed new batteries as did the remote. Both of these issues were swiftly dealt with. We had a big "welcome facebook friends" sign on our door and a friendly greeting call from Nancy the concierge, the next day to welcome us. I found the restaurants welcoming and even better if you get to know by name your servers. The waiters are willing to bend over backwards if that is what you want. Leonardo, Angel, Brea, Gregory, Sanchez.... and more, thanks so much for making our 2 weeks so special. Margarita in the Oceana... thanks! I have seen reviews where the beach sales people annoy some. Make friends with these people, especially Gregory from Alphi Tours, he gives great hugs!. They did not get any sales, but they got lots of hugs... and everyone was happy!
Sometimes the morning showers ran a little chilly... sometimes the power went out. But hey... we have outbacked camped and found this experience right up our alley... flashlights and a great Canadian attitude are all that are needed during these times. They are short lived and part of the experience.
Our room was comfortable, cool, and we spent very little time in it except to sleep. The mini-bar was understocked for the 3 people we had in the room, but if you caught the mini-bar guy, he was only too happy to supply what we wanted, and he posed for photos too!
The entertainment staff did an amazing job, and if you are willing to participate and have fun, then you won't be disappointed. The foam party the first time did not go.. the foamer did not produce, but the second foam party was marvelous. The games were a blast and you could win Dreams dollars that you could use toward auctions just before some of the evening shows... usually 2 nights a week. Natanael, Dreams Entertainment captain was as wonderful as he was last year and he makes an awesome Michael Jackson.
The food that I ate tended mostly towards the fruit and beef line of the menu. Both were amazing and the fruit was fresh, beef was tender and served as ordered. There was also an amazing side of shrimp sent to the table one night that was amazing.
The bartenders worked with my quirky desire for sour drinks... less ice and more sour!
Nancy the Dreams Concierge was amazing... both for recommending an upgrade, and for arranging the most amazing birthday cake for me. This cake came with extra plates for us to share our cake. We made new friends this way and it was so much fun sharing.

I don't know, I have read some poor reviews, but I did not experience anything that I could complain about other then that the salt shakers clogged up with the humidity. The roads were rough getting there, and it was about an hour from the airport, but that was what we wanted. There are no wrist bands and as we went early to dinner, there was never any waiting. The beach, and the pool are amazing. You can find solitude or crowds, you choose! I absolutely love this place and it's people.
I will go back.. I have 18000 dollars in Dreams auction money that I need to deal with. :o)

Last year one week was not enough, this year 2 weeks was almost perfect.!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor in the preferred area. Room was nice and cool, we only had extreme room...