“Truly Relaxing - Great Time”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We have just returned from 21 nights at Dreams Punta Cana. Like a lot of other travellers we had been looking at TripAdvisor frequently as this was our first holiday in the Dominican Republic and our first holiday for 21 nights.

We were a little anxious about some of the reviews but to be honest I think some people just like to find fault rather than point out the good things.

To give a brief overview, yes the road is a little bumpy on the way to Dreams, but no worse than some of the roads we have travelled on in Europe, especially Malta!

I think a lot depends on which room you are allocated at Dreams and agree with some of the other reviewers that if you do happen to be allocated a ground floor room or a room right next to the cleaners station, you may not be as happy as we were. However, reception appear to be very happy to move people if requested, so my advice would be: if you are not happy with your room, ask to be moved immediately so that it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Getting a bed around the pool does seem to be a problem. We are early risers but when we went to the pool area on our first morning at 7.30 am every sunbed (and there are loads of them) had a towel on them. We are not normally beach people, but we decided to spend the first day on the beach because we couldn't find a spare sunbed around the pool. This was the best decision we have ever made and enjoyed it so much on the beach that we spent the next 20 days there too. However we did learn on day 3 that the pool staff put the towels on the beds around the pool (rolled up). If a towel was not rolled up or had something else with it like suntan lotion, a book, etc that meant the bed was taken. If the towel was still rolled up and nothing else was on the bed it meant the bed was free. But as I said we enjoyed the beach so much we spent every day there.

The staff are absolutely fantastic. We drank in the Cafe Kafe most nights and found Jose the barman and Marie Magdelena the waitress absolutely amazing. They made us extremely welcome, always greeted us with a smile, remembered what we were drinking and kept our glasses full the whole time.

The entertainment team work so hard all day long to keep everyone happy and amused. They work very long hours but still manage a smile and take the time to come and have a chat with you. They do not hassle you to join in and welcome you if you just want to sit and watch rather than take part. Micky Mouse, 50 cents, Usher and Stephanie are a credit to the company and work tirelessly to ensure that guests are enjoying themselves.

We found the food in the World Cafe totally acceptable and cannot understand why people would complain. There was always so much choice, that anyone who couldn't find something they liked must be an extremely fussy eater. Our only complaint was that during the evening the air conditioning was just that little bit to high, making it extremely cold in the restaurant, which meant it was not only uncomfortable but also that the food chosen soon lost its heat - but to be honest that was our only complaint about the food. We only tried a couple of the other restaurants and they were fine, but we spoke to others and they had tried all of the restaurants and everyone we spoke to said that all the restaurants were good.

The beach is truly lovely and you do feel like you are in paradise when you walk along to the other hotels. It is so peaceful and relaxing.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and immaculate and the team of gardeners work very hard to ensure that it remains that way.

It is very good value for money for all inclusive because nothing is limited, more or less everything is included and all the drinks are proper international brands and we struggled to find a drink that they did not have on supply. Even bottle beers were in good supply and various well know popular brands.

Our only recommendations to the hotel would be to change the way towels are issued. If they introduced a voucher system it would stop people getting up at the crack of dawn to reserve beds and it would also stop some of the very selfish people who not only reserved beds around the pool, but who also got extra towels and reserved beds on the beach and hardly spent any time on either! In Mexico we were given a token and each day when the towel bar opened at 7.30 am you exchanged the token for a towel, at the end of the day you returned the towel and they returned your token, it seemed to work very well and did stop the majority of bed reserving.

We would also recommend that they introduce a two week entertainment programme rather than the current weekly one. Obviously we were there for three weeks so did expect some repeat performances during the third week, but it being only a weekly programme it doesn't really cater for the majority of people who are there for two weeks.

All in all we had a fantastic time from start to finish, our room in block 2 on the third floor was lovely, the staff were fabulous, the food was good, the weather was great, the grounds are immaculate and everyone goes out of their way to ensure that you enjoy your stay.

A special hello to Jose, Marie Magdelana, the gardeners and the entertainment staff and a very special hello to Dinny the guy with the lovely smile that serves omlettes and eggs at breakfast time. We really don't know how he managed to be so calm and professional when some guests were so rude and impatient and ungrateful when ordering their omlettes and eggs. We went to say hello to him every morning, even if we didn't want eggs, just so he saw at least two friendly faces each day.

Some people complained about the market traders that come into the hotel 3 times a week selling, hasselling them. Yes they do approach you and ask you to look at their goods but a polite no thank you is sufficient. If you think that is hassle you obviously haven't been to Turkey and Tenerife and some areas of Europe where you really do feel hasselled at times!

We would definitely go back to Dreams and we are sure that with all the hard work they are doing it will be even more luxurious when they have completed all the work they are doing to make everyting that much nicer (which by the way didn't bother us or interfer with our holiday at all). We would definitely recommend Dreams to others.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sue_in_cumbria
There are newer reviews for Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 22, 2008

Overall, I think Dreams was a good choice for a nice all inclusive in the DR.

The pros are great. Beautiful beach, amazingly huge pool, beautiful grounds, relaxing atmosphere, and thoughtful staff (who aren't too pushy) like other AI's.

The cons. The rooms are dull, and need some repair. The food is blah. The buffet was the best bet, I thought. And at lunch, eat at the seafood grill near the pool. It was the best food on the resort. The french restaurant has some good appitizers. The japanese restaurant was really salty, the seafood restaurant for dinner was flavorless.
The other problems was the distance from the airport. This was a bit annoying with a bumpy bus ride, but no big deal.

Take dreams for what it is. A good resort in a beautiful place, that just needs a few improvements.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 21, 2008

We just returned from a weeklong stay at Dreams Punta Cana, and it was a very good vacation. The resort is beautiful and well kept for Dominican standards. If you really look you'll find things wrong, but we looked at the big picture. The three things that were a let down were the ocean,the vendors and the noise. The ocean was really rough, and the last two days it was closed. They have a fantastic pool, so it wasn't too bad, but it for a seaside resort you kind of expect the ocean. The room we had was very nice, but the hallways echo loudly, and the walls were kind of thin. We hardly slept at all the first night, but we got used to it. A few times a week the resort lets in vendors to sell their stuff around the lobby. They are really pushy and you have to firmly tell them you're not interested. The vendors in Mexico were nowhere nearly as pushy.
The positives were the food, the bars, the weather and the entertainment and activities. Our kids loved the Explorers Club last year in Cancun Dreams, but hardly spent an hour at the club here... they're a little older now, and found plenty of kids to play with in the pool and on the beach.
The ride to the resort was a bit of an adventure, but it's a different country and you have to be prepared for different things. It's a little bumpy and wild. One last thing, don't exchange your US $ for Dominican. You won't need it as everywhere we went thery wanted to be paid in US$. I tried to get some Dominican coins for the kids, and couldn't find any, even at the airport!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2008

The accomodations were very nice. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very helpful and friendly. I thought the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were excellent. The food was fresh and there was a great variety. I was however, a little disappointed with the restaurants. They have a french, seafood grill, & Japanese. I only ate at the french and seafood grill, and did not feel the quality of the food measured up. I took advantage of the Spa and loved it. You can actually change some of the spa packages if you don't want part of the package. For example, I got the dominican coffee scrub, mud wrap and massage. It was supposed to include a manicure & pedicure but I took a longer massage instead. The other thing I would mention most of the guests were couples and families. As singles, you might want to go to a more singles resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank ctyline
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Call in advance before you leave to make sure your room is still reserved and it is what you booked! It took my boyfriend and I 3 rooms until we just settled. Now my advice to you is DO NOT let the bell boy leave until you check out the entire room (the bathroom) to make sure it is right for you. The shower head stopped at the top of my head and I am only 5'2"! The food is awful...stick to the chinese and Japanese but they are VERY SALTY! If you can not find a chair at the pool ask a grounds keeper and throw him a few bucks and before you know it you will have chairs by the pool. When going to the beach sit towards the left...the right is allllll rocks. Also we were told that this resort was on the Caribbean side which it is not it is the Atlantic...Pool is gorgeous...Bring enough sun block it is at least $20 in the store. The best excursion was Sonona Island absolutley breathtaking! DO NOT FLY MIAMI AIR...The plane is soooo small you can not move and we were delayed a total of 4 hours due to mechanical problems...kind of scary! I also went to Wal-Mart and bought the long floats for a dollar so you don't have to search the pool for a float and it was also relaxing to lay on the float in the ocean. Also do not be fooled this resort is not brand new it is only re-named. Remember fight for what you want...front desk will act like they have no idea what you are talking about and pretend they speak little english!!! We called this trip nightmare resort and spa...look into Iberostar or RIU. If you do stay here we had the best time at the lobby bar.. the bartenders were incredible and this is the only bar that serves Bud Light, Heineken and so on. We are 22 and 24 and were the youngest couple at the resort. They are doing it over so it might get better but it is very secluded! If you stay here I hope you have better luck then everyone we stayed with in February 2008.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carolyn414
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Trip Advisor helped me before we went so I want to help someone also. We traveled with 4 adults during spring break week Mar 9 - Mar 15. This was not a spring break hotel. There were a few but mostly families and adults from all over the world. As Americans we may have been the minority, but it was no problem at all. First our ride was late at night and a little more than a hour on a bumpy road but bus was very nice and comfortable. No stops for other hotels, someone told us they stayed 15 minutes from airport and it took them an hour to get there due to so many stops. We were greeted with Champagne and sent off to our rooms. The only problems we had the entire time was regarding rooms. We traveled with friends and she is like Heather Mills (married to Paul McCartney) so maybe you can understand her handicap. We had booked together but our room was in building #9 and their's #7, both on 2nd floor. Difficult for her, so being so late we waited and told the apple rep the next day although we could not get rooms together they did moved her room to #8 on the first floor just behind #9 and it was no problem. Thanks Rafael. Then we had asked for a shower chair, they did not have one at the hotel and we were told to use a balcony chair, this didn't fit in tub but a parsons table from the pool area worked ok. Always make the best of things and try not to complain, some of these reviews are very harsh. The staff will try their hardest to make everything nice and it was. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff, no one passes you without saying Hola, they remember you and your drink if you go to the same place, totally amazing. They changed the chair saving policy the last day we were there so no more saving pool chairs until after 9am, thank goodness but we are early risers and did have to save before that. Weather 89 and gorgeous. My Husband and I did the zip lines and we are in our 50's. It was a blast. We asked apple rep about Saona Island and they said that they would accommadate the handicap so we went and they were so gracious, they picked our friend up and put her in the boats, it was so nice that she was able to go. Again Thanks Rafael. Casino very smal 31 slots and some tables but we managed to win a little on the slots. Food good to very good, remember that ranch dressing is not creamy white in other countries. We tipped here and there, seek out Wilson the bartender he is great and ask for his Mr Wilson specialty yum, Mango and something. Pool is exceptional, floats not a problem just look around. The beach is very nice and we took out a double kayak, very fun. Shows were fun and they make up for anything they lack with sooooo much enthusiasium, I'm not sure when they all sleep. So Thanks Dreams for a fabulous time and everyone just go and have a good time, thats what it's all about. I certainly miss this vacation already.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank GloPittsburgh
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My new husband and I, along with 31 family members, just came back from Dreams where we had the best wedding ever. This was my first visit to Punta Cana, and it definitely will not be the last. For the last eight months, I have been visiting this website to get any type of information I could, and for the most part everything was true. There were a few negative reviews that scared me terribly, but I guess you have to see it to believe it because I did not experience anything but exceptional service. There was one little bump we came to during check-in, but it was quickly resolved, and I definitely wouldn't base my overall rating on this one little experience.

The Food: The good thing about an all-inclusive resort is the fact that you have so many choices. If you try one restaurant one day, and you didn't like it, then try another one. We always found something we liked. There are few people that had upset stomachs during the stay, but it's hard to say if it was the food or the unlimited drinks. As for myself, I never got sick from the food.

The Staff: Wonderful!!!!!! Everyone is just so friendly, and by the time you leave, you will feel like you've made so many friends.

The Entertainment: So amusing. During the day, there is plenty of poolside entertainment. We only went to one night show, which happens to be the same night my brother's girlfriend won the Miss Dreams Competition and a free trip back to the resort.

The Beach: Beautiful. It is very rocky, but the good thing is that you can see the rocks. I loved just laying out on the beach and taking a dip in the pool wich is like 20 feet away from each other at the closest points.

My Wedding: A fairytale come true! It could not have been any better. Juliana is amazing!! She exceeded all expectations that I had and much more. My guests are STILL talking about it.

Overall, this has been one of the best vacations I've ever been on. I would most definitely recommend this resort to anyone planning a trip to Punta Cana, and I can't wait to go back myself.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business