“Not What You Pay For!!!”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston
“Not What You Pay For!!!”
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Call in advance before you leave to make sure your room is still reserved and it is what you booked! It took my boyfriend and I 3 rooms until we just settled. Now my advice to you is DO NOT let the bell boy leave until you check out the entire room (the bathroom) to make sure it is right for you. The shower head stopped at the top of my head and I am only 5'2"! The food is awful...stick to the chinese and Japanese but they are VERY SALTY! If you can not find a chair at the pool ask a grounds keeper and throw him a few bucks and before you know it you will have chairs by the pool. When going to the beach sit towards the left...the right is allllll rocks. Also we were told that this resort was on the Caribbean side which it is not it is the Atlantic...Pool is gorgeous...Bring enough sun block it is at least $20 in the store. The best excursion was Sonona Island absolutley breathtaking! DO NOT FLY MIAMI AIR...The plane is soooo small you can not move and we were delayed a total of 4 hours due to mechanical problems...kind of scary! I also went to Wal-Mart and bought the long floats for a dollar so you don't have to search the pool for a float and it was also relaxing to lay on the float in the ocean. Also do not be fooled this resort is not brand new it is only re-named. Remember fight for what you want...front desk will act like they have no idea what you are talking about and pretend they speak little english!!! We called this trip nightmare resort and spa...look into Iberostar or RIU. If you do stay here we had the best time at the lobby bar.. the bartenders were incredible and this is the only bar that serves Bud Light, Heineken and so on. We are 22 and 24 and were the youngest couple at the resort. They are doing it over so it might get better but it is very secluded! If you stay here I hope you have better luck then everyone we stayed with in February 2008.

• Liked — The staff were fun and bartenders were a blast at the lobby bar
  • Disliked — too many to name...and we aren't complainers at all!!!! Very disappointed!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carolyn414

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,911)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Trip Advisor helped me before we went so I want to help someone also. We traveled with 4 adults during spring break week Mar 9 - Mar 15. This was not a spring break hotel. There were a few but mostly families and adults from all over the world. As Americans we may have been the minority, but it was no problem at all. First our ride was late at night and a little more than a hour on a bumpy road but bus was very nice and comfortable. No stops for other hotels, someone told us they stayed 15 minutes from airport and it took them an hour to get there due to so many stops. We were greeted with Champagne and sent off to our rooms. The only problems we had the entire time was regarding rooms. We traveled with friends and she is like Heather Mills (married to Paul McCartney) so maybe you can understand her handicap. We had booked together but our room was in building #9 and their's #7, both on 2nd floor. Difficult for her, so being so late we waited and told the apple rep the next day although we could not get rooms together they did moved her room to #8 on the first floor just behind #9 and it was no problem. Thanks Rafael. Then we had asked for a shower chair, they did not have one at the hotel and we were told to use a balcony chair, this didn't fit in tub but a parsons table from the pool area worked ok. Always make the best of things and try not to complain, some of these reviews are very harsh. The staff will try their hardest to make everything nice and it was. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff, no one passes you without saying Hola, they remember you and your drink if you go to the same place, totally amazing. They changed the chair saving policy the last day we were there so no more saving pool chairs until after 9am, thank goodness but we are early risers and did have to save before that. Weather 89 and gorgeous. My Husband and I did the zip lines and we are in our 50's. It was a blast. We asked apple rep about Saona Island and they said that they would accommadate the handicap so we went and they were so gracious, they picked our friend up and put her in the boats, it was so nice that she was able to go. Again Thanks Rafael. Casino very smal 31 slots and some tables but we managed to win a little on the slots. Food good to very good, remember that ranch dressing is not creamy white in other countries. We tipped here and there, seek out Wilson the bartender he is great and ask for his Mr Wilson specialty yum, Mango and something. Pool is exceptional, floats not a problem just look around. The beach is very nice and we took out a double kayak, very fun. Shows were fun and they make up for anything they lack with sooooo much enthusiasium, I'm not sure when they all sleep. So Thanks Dreams for a fabulous time and everyone just go and have a good time, thats what it's all about. I certainly miss this vacation already.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Didn't have rooms together
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank GloPittsburgh
Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My new husband and I, along with 31 family members, just came back from Dreams where we had the best wedding ever. This was my first visit to Punta Cana, and it definitely will not be the last. For the last eight months, I have been visiting this website to get any type of information I could, and for the most part everything was true. There were a few negative reviews that scared me terribly, but I guess you have to see it to believe it because I did not experience anything but exceptional service. There was one little bump we came to during check-in, but it was quickly resolved, and I definitely wouldn't base my overall rating on this one little experience.

The Food: The good thing about an all-inclusive resort is the fact that you have so many choices. If you try one restaurant one day, and you didn't like it, then try another one. We always found something we liked. There are few people that had upset stomachs during the stay, but it's hard to say if it was the food or the unlimited drinks. As for myself, I never got sick from the food.

The Staff: Wonderful!!!!!! Everyone is just so friendly, and by the time you leave, you will feel like you've made so many friends.

The Entertainment: So amusing. During the day, there is plenty of poolside entertainment. We only went to one night show, which happens to be the same night my brother's girlfriend won the Miss Dreams Competition and a free trip back to the resort.

The Beach: Beautiful. It is very rocky, but the good thing is that you can see the rocks. I loved just laying out on the beach and taking a dip in the pool wich is like 20 feet away from each other at the closest points.

My Wedding: A fairytale come true! It could not have been any better. Juliana is amazing!! She exceeded all expectations that I had and much more. My guests are STILL talking about it.

Overall, this has been one of the best vacations I've ever been on. I would most definitely recommend this resort to anyone planning a trip to Punta Cana, and I can't wait to go back myself.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank nursealice
Reviewed March 19, 2008

I stayed at Dreams Spa and resort from March 12-17th with a group of about 60 people for a destination wedding. Overall the resort is nice and very clean. I didn't see a lot of construction going on.

Check-in: To start off - yes the bus ride is about 50 minutes long but its not too bad - lots of pot holes in the road but they warn you before you leave the airport. Once we arrived we were greeted with drinks. Check-in was a disaster. We got to the hotel around noon and had to sit in the lobby because our rooms were not ready for us. They told us about an hour so we went to the lobby bar had a couple drinks - that hour turned into 3 hours - Dominican time is not equivalent to USA time. Finally around 3pm and 8 drinks deep!~ we got our room! Building 7 room 7307. Prior to traveling i signed up for the iPrefer card and this was an advantage. We were upgrade for free to a bigger room. I highly recommend getting this card and emailing the hotel prior to arriving so they know in advance. Our room was nice - canopy bed, sitting area and alot of closet space. Our shower did get hot and cold almost everyday but it didn't really bother me. Bed was comfortable although it would have been nice to have a couple more pillows on the bed. The ipod docking stations aren't really docking stations - they don't charge your ipod so if you plan to use your ipod be sure to bring your charger. Maid service was great - they clean your room during the day and then have a turn down service at night which was really nice. Always had a stock fridge and room service took about 30 minutes- not too bad.

Pool: After settling into out room we headed to the pool/pool bar - WOW! The pool bar was where we spent most of our vacation. They have a lot of activities going on throughout the day. It is hard to find a chair but if you are in the pool all day - what does it matter. On the down side - the bartenders at the pool bar are very slow. Even a couple bucks doesn't speed them up. They are very understaffed here. If you get out of the pool and go to the bar next to the ice cream machine your service is much better!

Beach: Beaches were ok. Be careful of the coral - a friend of mine cut her foot on the rocks there. Stay to the left and you'll be fine. The water trampoline is only for kids - Bummer! There are waitresses on the beach to get you drinks which were nice. The BBQ on the beach for lunch was disgusting - i do not recommend eating the food there. There are a lot of activities on the beach for all age so if you are looking for a little R&R go to either the far right or far left of the beach where the activities are not taking place.

Restaurants:
Sea side grill for lunch - horrible

Oceana for dinner: amazing - get the coconut shrimp and/or filet - really good!

Bordeaux - least favorite - I had a filet and it wasn't cooked enough for me but others in my group loved it. We waited over an hour to be seated (we had a large group -15 people)

World cafe - breakfast - good selection but after the 3rd day you get sick of eating omelets and hash browns. We also ate here for dinner one night "Italian buffet" - it was good.

Japanese: very good, except they don't give you any vegetables with your dinner. Sushi was outstanding. there are only 3 sitting times for this place so be sure you put your name in as soon as they open up at 6pm. (seating times - 6,7,and 9) they only have 3 tables that seat 10 people at each table. Dessert was awesome - fried ice cream!

Wedding reception dinner: fabulous - although the appetizers could have been better. this took place on the outside patio next to the Japanese restaurant.

WEDDING: for those brides and grooms who are planning a wedding here - some words of advice!
CONS- if you are having a formal reception dinner with a DJ - bring your own music. Their selection of music is slim - actually just horrible. Luckily we had an ipod that we hooked up to the speakers for music. And when they say you have a DJ it’s not like a DJ in the states where they announce you coming in and announce the first dance etc. All they do is play music - so beware.
Pros: tables were beautifully set up, dinner fantastic, and the ceremony breathtaking! The flowers for the bride and her bridesmaids just stunning! They also did a great job at the hair salon in styling all of our hair for the wedding day ($65 per person no matter if you have long or short hair) be sure to make a reservation before your vacation at the spa - it books up quickly.

We didn't see any shows, but did go to the casino (small) and the disco every night. Its fun it you have a large party which we did. They play the same music every night though.

All in all: I would recommend this resort to anyone who is traveling with a large group of people. There is something for everyone here. Not a great place for honeymooners though. I had a wonderful time here and the staff was great - big shout outs to JOSE (banana), JULIO and USHER! You guys are great!
The times we spent here will never be forgotten - this vacation ranked on the top 2 vacations i have every taken! if you have any questions please feel free to email me.

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Mandy C
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We went to Dreams from 3/8-3/15. This is our 3rd time in Punta Cana and 2 times with kids. Our kids are 3, 6 & 9. Last year we stayed at Club Med so we had some comparison. Our primary reason for booking this hotel was the fact that they had a kids club for 3 years and older. Overall I think Dreams is a nicer resort. The drive to the resort took a little less than an hour going to the resort. On the way back to the airport 2 of my kids started feeling car sick from all the bumps. The scenery is interesting and try to take it in. We did try to upgrade to the Preferred Club and was told that we could go into adjoining rooms both with outdoor jacuzzis but we would have to wait until that evening to check in but we could put our stuff in one of our original rooms (again we were going to have 2 regular adjoining rooms). That evening we were told the room wouldn't be ready until noon the next morning and they gave us the key to our regular other room. After not unpacking all night when we went back to the desk the next afternoon they had no what we were talking about and said they could upgrade us but not to adjoining rooms. That would not work with 3 young kids. We ended up staying in our original rooms and finally unpacking. The rooms were clean and since we had 2 of them didn't feel too small. One room would have been way too small for 5 of us. We ordered room service every morning and had breakfast on our balcony. It was very nice. They never got our order right but who cares?

We had heard so many great things about the Kids club so we were looking forward to trying it out. We thought that it was terrible. There was definitely a difficulty with communication. We did not find this anywhere else on the resort. We were told we needed a copy of our sons passport because they did not believe he was 3. They insisted on keeping the copy in their file. They also told us that they don't change diapers. Fine we could live with that since they give you a cell phone if they need to reach you. We can always run back and change a diaper. We sent him with our older daughters so they could check it out for us. They ended up taking care of him the whole time. There were 2 small kids playing in the pool and walking near the pool when we checked in and we could not see anyone watching them. The kids area is really nice looking and looks like fun. However that day there were a total of 5 kids in the camp and we had 3 of them. They don't break them out by age so even if there were older kids they play with 3 and 4 year olds. Our daughters told us they did not want to go back. We tried sending our son again on Thursday by himself just to get a little break. When my husband went to drop him off he started crying a little and the woman who barely spoke English told him that they won't take crying children. He said he would stop in a minute or so once someone took him but she just stood there and said no crying babies allowed. She also looked horrified when my husband mentioned he still wears diapers and to call us if he needs to be changed. She refused to take him since he wouldn't stop crying. We did put the 3 kids in again that evening just to go to a nice dinner. He cried a little but my daughters ended up carrying him in and he stopped. This time there was about 7 kids in there. On our final day at the resort we went to get out passport copy back and we were told that they keep it and won't give it back. I argued with the woman for quite some time. She finally asked Marilyn that works there and Marilyn said she would give it back. At least Marilyn seems nice and speaks pretty decent English. She liked my son. We were very disappointed that the kids camp was so boring and that they gave us a hard time about our 3 year old. Maybe it was just a slow week for kids and it would have been more fun for our older girls. They all loved the kids camp in Club Med and they broke them into 4 or 5 age groups and had probably 50-60 kids minimum each day. Granted Dreams didn't have as many kids as Club Med but still for a resort this size we were surprised to only see 5 kids in the camp including ours. I wish we would have known before booking that they really didn't want 3 year olds.

The resort itself is very nice. The pool is the nicest we have seen. We are big beach people but hung at the pool most of the time. The beach was a little breezy but we did hang there 2 mornings and 1 afternoon. It is clean and the water is nice. We didn't swim in the ocean because there was enough of a breeze to keep you cool. The guys that clean the beach will give you a fresh coconut if they have any. That was really nice. We did get a notice in our door on our last day about the towels on the chairs and how you can't put them on before 9am and if you do they will remove them. What we did after not finding chairs for 2 days was put our towels on 2 chairs right before bed every night. We also included a beach toy on each chair so we could find the chair. This worked great for us. One night my husband did see them cleaning by the pool but he gave one of the guys $10 and asked him to leave the towels. They were there the next morning. We had to play the game. It was very annoying to see all the chairs with towels and no one ever show up or they would show up after lunch. Floaties in the pool were not usually a problem. We did have 1 girl complain because our 6 year old got a floatie before she could get to it and she was mad that our daughter was using it. Again there are some floatie hogs that would take them out of the pool and put them by their chairs or use them on the chairs as extra padding.

Food was good. A little inconsistent sometimes but still good. We liked the Sea Side Grill for lunch and the beach barbeque wasn't too bad. The fresh fruit everywhere is great. Loved the fresh fruit stand by pool. We ate at the Japanese but they wouldn't let us sit near the grill because they said our son was too little. The food there was good. Bordeaux was really nice and the restaurant is very pretty. The buffet was good but surprised that the food wasn't as kids friendly at dinner as Club Med. They managed to find something but thought there would be more for them. Some nights we could get pizza others you had sit in the Italian area. Drinks were great at all the bars. Nice size glasses with fruit garnish. Ice cream and popcorn by the pool bar everyday so that was nice.

Entertainers were good and lots of activities going on during the day. The people we met at the resort were all very nice and the workers were nice. We did tip the drink servers especially the ones that would bring the drink to you. They come by all day long. Also left tips for some of the servers at the restaurants. We tipped out maid quite well and she had great towel art everyday waiting for us. Loved that!!!

Really nice resort and we recommend it. If you are thinking of the kids camp please try it out and hopefully you will have a better experience. Just be prepared for not too many kids and difficulty with communication. They should advertise if for kids 4 and older not in diapers and don't cry when their parents leave them.

We did have a major delay when we tried to leave on Saturday. Had nothing to do with the resort but is an Apple Vacation issue. It happened at the airport and we were delayed 15 hours. Unfortunately Apple never communicated anything with 178 people on the plane. Keep that in mind if you are using Apple Vacations. Don't expect any help at the airport.

• Liked — The pool and beach
  • Disliked — Kids camp and distance from airport
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank laurag35
Toronto
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I used this site a lot to book my vacation so thought I should add my comments. I chose Dreams because it was rated best in Punta Cana for young children. It definitely lived up to that label. The Explorer's Club was phenomenal. My kids are 6 (boy) and 10 (girl) and they didn't want to do anything but go to the club. They did different activities every hour (e.g. bike rides, pool time, video games, mini-soccer table, sand castle competition, Spanish lessons, ice-cream parties, picnics at the beach, movies at night, mini disco, fashion show, soccer games, treasure hunt, etc., etc.). Outside of the club they had a trampoline in the ocean, an iceberg in the pool to climb, sports centre with ping pong, billiards. I could go on and on. There are a lot of activities for adults too.

The grounds were immaculate, the restaurants were great (8 in total) and the buffet had a huge selection. As in any buffet there were some things that were just okay but I always found something that was really good. Honestly, there is such a huge selection for every meal that you can't go wrong.

The service was really, really good. Everyone was very friendly. I haven't been to an all-inclusive in over 5 years but this one blew me away. Drinks served to you at the beach and by the pool. A fruit stand on the way down to the beach. Ice cream machines at the bars - my kids helped themselves to at least 3 or 4 a day - what the heck they're on vacation.

We got a junior suite (room 8306) which while not really close to the beach had an ocean view, living room, walk-in closet, great shower, jacuzzi on the balcony, 2 tvs (one flat screen) and a dvd player. We booked through Flight Centre and Sunwing. It really wasn't all that much more for a junior suite (maybe $400) and while I didn't see the other rooms I understand from other comments here that they were small. The junior suite was not small.

I talked to a number of people there and none of them could understand the negative comments on this website about this resort - except one and it's really hard to blame this on the resort...the saving chair thing was a problem. If you didn't have a chair saved by 7 am you'd have a hard time finding two together later on.

As I mentioned, the last time I went to an all-inclusive was about 5 years ago at the Barcelo Maya in the Mayan Riviera which was a 5 star. I thought that was nice - this one was even better. Maybe they just improve every year.

While I don't want to judge anyone, if people aren't impressed by this place, it might be because they had one or two things happen that just pissed them off or they need ultra-luxury - though I can't imagine needing more than what this place offers. I didn't find any nickel and diming though the staff really appreciated the tips.

I could go on and on about this place...two sets of parrots, flamingos, fish. The pool was huge (though a bit cold for me). I don't normally find myself raving (I must sound like I'm getting paid to write this - I'm not!) but our whole family had a great time. I also found a lack of information on best resorts for kids so wanted to make sure I let people know that their young kids would enjoy this place. (I did hear some comments from older people that the place was a bit too big for them - there is a lot of walking.)

Anyway, don't hesitate to go.

• Liked — Great for kids, incredible service, included everything you need for an incredible vacation with family.
  • Disliked — Chair saving, ocean was a bit rough.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
12 Thank joanhk
new york
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed at Dreams from March 8 through March 15, 2008. Last year, we stayed at Secrets Excellence and thought that couldn't be topped, but we were wrong. Dreams is every bit as good as Secrets, only bigger and with better food.

We upgraded to a suite and were more than pleased with that choice. Awesome room, with a balcony that had a jacuzzi. Plasma TV in the bedroom, walk-in closet, living room with a couch and love seat.

Maid service was excellent. Similar to a cruise, they'd make animals with the towels each day. Each night they'd sprinkle our bed with flower petals and/or chocolates upon turning down the bed.

The shower pressure was great, but the water would run hot-and-cold throughout, which was a bit irritating (but not enough to warrant a negative review).

The Restaurants were magnificent and the food was delicious at each of them. I highly recommend the Sea Bass at Oceana. Gourmet quality and taste. We only had to wait ten minutes one night for a seat out of the whole week, otherwise, we were seated immediately (we were a party of four). The Mexican Restaurant (El Patio) was a dining experience, the Hibatchi in the Japanese Restaurant (Himitsu) was lots of fun, The French Restaurant (Bordeaux) was very romantic (adults only). Seaside Grill was great for lunch, as was the World Cafe` (buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner). All in all, great dining experiences.

The Pool was fantastic, but I advise you get up early to secure a good spot (before 7:00). Only problem was inconsiderate people who would secure spots but never show up. They need to have a "45-minute rule" to avoid this from occuring. They had several girls coming around all day taking drink orders (Mirian was the best among these-very friendly and eager to serve and always smiling).

A big hello to our new Jersey friends: John, Patty, Dawn and Terry!!! Also, not to be outdone, our Wisconsin pals Bob and Cheryl, without whom our trip would not have been half as much fun.

The Casino could have used a new air-conditioning system, as it was usually quite uncomfortable in there. Also, the blackjack dealers could use some lessons in addition and courtesy, but other than that, not too shabby for a little inexpensive gambling action.

The Beach was really great and the water temp just right. Powdery sand which was never too hot to walk on.

Only negative thing to be said was the Beach BBQ, and this is rather a tiny criticism, as the Hot-Dogs were pretty bad. The Burgers were okay, but that's all the choices you had (Secrets was better in this regard, but overall, Dreams rates a slight edge for the money).

We would definitely go back to this Resort.

• Liked — Grounds, Room, Restaurants, Service.
  • Disliked — Beach Barbecue
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple