“Perfect Destination for Wedding”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had all of our expectations met and than some. Our wedding coordinator Deyanara Aristy was incredible, she made everything so easy and was able to give us exactly what we wanted. We had simply picked this resort based on reviews and I am so happy we did. For us and our 40 guests it truly was an ideal location. Our wedding was held at the gazebo, which I highly recommend if you want it to feel more private. My husband and I will always remember that week with the fondest of memories, thank you Deyanara for making our fairy tale wedding come true.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Nixonlsvgs
Write a ReviewReviews (11,930)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed there Sept 15 thru 22. No way is this a 6 golden apple. Food in buffet was not good at all. The bbq on the beach was terrible. Once the waiter found out you were not buying a bottle of wine he got so rude it was unbelievable. Sometimes we had towels sometimes not. Same with the bath mat. The koi pond in the spa was so green I couldn't see the fish. By the way the massage was so-so. And she also had an attitude. One of the beds was not screwed to the frame and kept moving all over the floor. Some of the entertainment was so amature it was ridiculous. I could go on and on but why bother. I don't trust Apple anymore about the ratings. Hello Funjet.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Debbie B
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was my wife and my 17th trip to the Caribbean in the past 8 years and this was the least favorite location and service by far of any resort. If you are looking for a sub-par older resort with no ocean front rooms and less than a handful of partial ocean views (mostly of the service entrance and employee walkway) that is well over an hours drive from the airport through cattle grazing ground with okay ala carte and bad buffet, where service is less than friendly and par for the course is disorganization.......then this is your dream vacation.
We paid for the preferred package with partial ocean view through Apple Vacations. When we arrived we were whisked away to the preferred club at the opposite end of the resort on foot with an employee who was nothing more than a time share salesperson. We had to tell him to quit trying to sell us each time we past one another on the resort. After three days he got the hint.
We did not have an ocean view and were told by the concierge that they really didn't have any ocean views....maybe 2-4 partial ocean view rooms. The second day around 4 they re-located us to a room with indeed a "partial" view that was located above the employee and service drive. Our room was never made up before 6PM and after returning from a day long excursion to Saona Island at 7 one day it had never been touched....except to find someone in the room saying he was there to repair a light switch (which wasn't broken when we left in the AM).
Which goes to say..LOCK THINGS IN THE SAFE. Otherwise the chance that something will be gone when you get to the room is pretty sure as there are always people going in and out of the room under many pretense. Then again, my wife exceeded the number of attempts to open the safe and a technician was able to open it in seconds. Don't take to this resort anything you can't live without. There were MANY stories of property stolen.
The best meals we had were at lunch at the Oceana, but you need to be a preferred guest to eat there at lunch and breakfast.
If the resort didn't have a huge wedding gazebo I doubt there'd be any reason to keep the place going. It is situated in an extreme remote location north of Punta Cana.....even further north than Bavaro. So if you think because of the name that it is in Punta Cana, beware. Not even close. You are near nothing and getting a taxi to a populated area is expensive.
The wait staff isn't unfriendly........but certainly not going out of their way to serve you as they do in other countries.
We are seasoned travelers and have been to almost a dozen and a half resorts around the Caribbean, this is by far the least favored. I can't think of a single positive thing to report. Sorry!

7  Thank handy101055
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your review regarding your visit to our resort, and we regret that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay. As a service oriented company our objective is not only to fulfill but also surpass our guests’ expectations, therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

Please permit me to inform you that we do not sell ocean-view rooms, and we’re sorry that you were led to believe that we would be able to accommodate this request. Our abundant vegetation has blocked most of what was once ocean view, and therefore we now have a limited amount of partial ocean view rooms available on our property. Nevertheless, our lush tropical foliage is much appreciated and admired by many of our visitors.

We’re sorry to learn that housekeeping service was not provided at a time of day that you found to be convenient and would have wished you had informed us of this, thus giving us the opportunity to accommodate your needs in this respect. In regards to the use of the safe box in the guest rooms, as you know the 4 digit code to the safe box is chosen by the guest and as a security measure the safe locks after a few futile attempts to open it. It is important to point out that while it is a fact that our security department can override the code to open the box when a guest cannot remember his/her code, it is also a fact that the code in reference becomes invalid at that point. We appreciate your recommendation to use the safe box which is provided to our guests free of charge for the safeguarding of their valuables, but with all due respect, your comment implying that things go missing from our hotel guest rooms is truly out of line.

Furthermore, please be informed that Punta Cana is a tourist destination made up of 9 beaches on a 50 kilometer coastal stretch, therefore all resorts in the surrounding areas are accurately said to be located in Punta Cana.

It is truly unfortunate that we did not meet your expectations, and it is disconcerting for us to read your opinion regarding our staff. Once again, we appreciate your feedback and your comments and concerns have been addressed by upper management.

Respectfully,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

First let me start off by saying I thoroughly read all of the reviews after my traveling companion had already planned the trip - I was extremely nervous reading the reviews because there were several negative comments. I did not have one negative experience during my stay. Everything was perfect; true paradise - I felt like I was a kid again! The entire resort was sparkling clean (common areas, bathroom in lobby, beach, restaurant, pool area...)

Room - our room was kept sparkling clean, didn't seem old or outdated and didn't have a funny odor some reviewers mentioned - if you have any issues with your room just notify the front desk and they will get you moved right away. But even still you are on vacation! You aren't supposed to be in the room - get out and enjoy the scenery, food, and entertainment. We were in building 6 which is right in the middle of the resort (perfect location in our opinion).

Staff-
From the time we entered the resort we received a warm and friendly welcome. We were welcomed with Mimosas and a wet towel (to help freshen up from the 40 min ride to the resort). They have people waiting to take your bags to your room for you before you enter the hotel lobby. Once we were checked in, they explained all of the amenities and dining options available on the resort. Housekeeping was awesome - they restock the mini fridge twice a day, rinsed out and hung up my wet and sand ridden clothes that I just threw in a plastic bag (because I thought it was a good idea to go down to the beach and sit in the middle of the ocean fully clothed - I figured wth I'm on vacation and YOLO!). With all that sand I brought back to the room, I made a mess even in the shower! When we came back to the room, the tub was sparkling clean. That's when we said, ok she definitely gets a big tip. We did find out though that we had a am and a pm housekeeper, so leave two seperate tips!
We had the Preferred Deluxe room so we got to lounge in the Preferred Deluxe Club. It is a bar with a few flat screen tvs. Oscar the bartender there was awesome! He was friendly, personable, and you can tell he really enjoys his job. I must say Oscar makes his drinks stronger than anyone else on the resort that we tried! Victor in the Oceana Grill waited on us basically everytime we ate there (breakfast only for preferred club, lunch, and dinner). They were so nice when my friend asked for a seafood free dish, they whipped her up something that was not on the menu for dinner with a chicken and mushroom sauce (reminded me of chicken chardonnay). I know you are thinking - why did she come to a seafood restaurant if she doesn't like seafood? It's because I begged her to come because I had to try their salmon wellington. Rosa waited on us in World Cafe - friendly and bubbly as well. When you enter the World Cafe, the hostess is there with hand sanitizer for you. They think of everything!
Jonathon waited on us the one time we dined in the Seafood Grille. He was friendly too. He made dessert suggestions and even brought us an extra dessert (cheesecake) which he said was his favorite! All of the bartenders were great - there are several bars throughout the resort so you never have to go far for a drink! Be sure to check Sundial daily where they will tell you the drink of the day.

Drinks-
They will make the drinks as strong as you want and will even give you an extra shot on the side if you ask for it. We mostly sipped on Carribean Romances, shots of Mamajuana (native drink soaked in rum or wine and honey over cloves and tree bark for a few days), Miami Vices, mojitos, and Sammy Sosas! If you aren't sure what to start with, start there and of course the bartender and people at the bar will give you suggestions - Have fun with the drinks though! Don't come all the way here for a strawberry daquiri! I thought since it was all inclusive there would be some off brand spirits being served - not the case. Several top shelf liqours. Remember to tip your bartender at least $1/per drink!
The entire staff is truly accomadating - no matter what you ask of anyone they all reply 'It will be my pleasure.'

Entertainment -
There is always something going on in the resort! Check the Sundial daily which they will slide under your door every night/morning to tell you all of the activites and going on that day. And if you are celebrating a special occasion, just call ahead and they will list it in the Sundial! I called and told them it was my friend's birthday and asked what could we do special for her. Not only did they put it in the Sundial, they emailed some amenities I could add to our package to celebrate (private dinner on the beach, choco covered strawberries, champagne - at an additional fee of course). Just in the few days I was there, they had a Mexican Fiesta right off the beach with taquitos, churros, cake, fajitas, martinis, margaritas, and a drinking game. (The staff dressed up in authentic Mexican gear to help everyone get in the mood), a water balloon fight in the pool, vendors were brought into the resort for you to purchase souvenirs if you couldn't find anything in the two gift shops, late night movies in the middle of the resort, live band at night outside, and they had karaoke going on as well.

Food - The food here was great. We ate at the World Cafe buffet (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), Seaside Grill (dinner), Oceana (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and Himitsu (half chinese/half japanese grill - reservations strongly recommended). One thing I will mention about the food and juice - it doesn't taste the way it taste in the states, some foods and juices are not as sweet as what you may be used to, but you have to remember you are in a different country with different cultures and even though pancakes may seem like a universal food to you - don't expect Denny's pancakes in the D.R.! They also have room service (also included) but we didn't get to take advantage of that. The presentation for all the food is top notch!
There was a vanilla cake on the buffet that I loved so much, I wanted to take it home with me for my neices and nephews. They put me in touch with Robert (captain in the buffet), he helped me order a cake (free) and I picked it up before I left. They are all just so friendly and accomadating and anticipate your every need. I can't wait to go back!

Be graceful with tipping - this is the minimum I would recommend $2/person for meal services, $5/day for housekeeping, $1 bartenders,

I hope I have helped any future travelers to this lovely place. Just go, you will not be disappointed. If you are unhappy here or can find something to complain about, chances are there is no vacation that will be right for you! We only paid $485 for 4 days for all inclusive - it doesn't get much better than that!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank primadonnaonthego
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stay 09/29/12 to 10/06/12 Not at all like Book-it and the web site described! AC is very inferior, food is below average, no seafood to speak of, small shrimp, only the imatation crab that I can get at home, and mystery fish. Room was ok, after we moved once. Bulbs burned out, not enough towels, no ice, cannot drink the water, only bottled. Upgrade to the Members club was a joke, the only good part was the Oceana Restaurant. Red flags everyday, beach cluttered with sea debris. No Crown Royal liquor, spa was a joke, and Victor who was at the spa desk was very rude, not everyone speaks Spanish, but you need to there. Pool is nice, but 3 feet deep only....We have been to Cancun 3 times and Jamaica once. We won't be back here, I have never had to deal with such rude, American disliking people, and I intend to let others know. Also all the excursions are at least an hour or more to get to.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
5  Thank Lynne J

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort, and we’re sorry to learn that your experience was anything less than excellent. Your comments are very important to us, and provide us with the opportunity to correct any deficiencies that may otherwise go unnoticed in our daily operation.

Please be informed that approximately 80% of our hotel clientele is North American, therefore it is very alarming to read your comment regarding what you assume to be our feelings for our American guests. An accusation of this sort is truly disturbing; our resort and our country as a whole is known for the friendliness of its people, nevertheless you can rest assured that we will analyze your concern.

Thank you once again for your comments, and we truly regret not having met your expectations.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Let me start my review by stating that we found out that hotel managment changed at Dreams in Sept 2012. I'm hoping that has something to do with this highly recommended resort!! We went down for our honeymoon and took 2 other couples with us. The food and entertainment team were great, but that was it. The resort was not clean, service was hit or miss and management was semi helpful. We had to change rooms, due to fear of safety after one of the rooms was ransacked. After talking to hotel guest, we heard that most everyone had changed rooms once or even twice, due to multiple areas of concern. This resort does not live up to the Dreams Reputation!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT UPGRADE TO A SWIM OUT ROOM!!!!! Not worth the money and not safe. Sliders barely lock.
9  Thank babiecorleone

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your review, and we’re sorry to learn that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. We understand that there is always room for improvement, and our guests’ experiences play a key role in helping us identify and address issues of concern; therefore we appreciate your feedback.

It is unfortunate that you feel that our resort does not live up to our brand’s reputation, and you can rest assured that we are ardently and constantly working to correct any deficiencies in our daily operation in order to ensure that our guests continue to receive the excellent service that they have come to expect from Dreams Punta Cana.

We value your comments, and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting your stay again on a future visit to Punta Cana.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The rooms in this resort are in desperate need of renovation. The rooms wreak of mildew. It is a bad sign when you enter your room and the maid is there spraying LYSOL all over the place to cover the funky smell. The furniture is very old and has been painted over. The linens had stains and were not good quality linens. The water system is not filtered, so you cannot drink the water. My husband and I both got sick on the last day (diarrhea) probably from the food. The meat did not taste right, so I ended up eating vegetarian the whole trip. There were very long waits to get your food at the restaurants -- I have no idea why. The beach had a lot of seaweed.

6  Thank Becky F