“Don't have a wedding here”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 23, 2011

The resort is stunning!!! This is a great spot for families. The Explorers Club is absolutely amazing, the kids really enjoyed their time, which provided for guilt free adult fun. There were lots of daytime activies on the resort, but the best ones were off the resort. The first issue arose when one of my 30 guests had money stolen out of their safe. They reported it to find another complainant not in our party with money, a phone and a laptop stolen out of their room. The Customer service desk said they would look into it, but offered no remedy to either guest and when followed up both found the report to be missing. This was extremely upsetting considering we had all of our cash for the wedding and two week trip in our safe $3500 of which to pay for the wedding cerimony.
About the wedding experience.
Our welcome letter was not addressed to us. We did later recieve one that was. There are no extra's included in the packages so be prepaired to pay $100 for each bouque and $50 for every extra coursage etc...The ceremony was beautiful, but there are about 3 weddings per day so don't expect any special treatment on your wedding day. I know this because we were there for two weeks and there was a constant flow of weddings. The salon is great if you like hearing people gab in spanish for an hour while you get your hair done. Durring the reception it started to rain, but the coordinator had left... plan B was to put us in a restaurant with the other hotel guests....Luckily for us the rain stopped, which happens a lot in dominican. Our wedding favours were stolen by the staff a long with the bouquets my sister had made for the brides maids. The photographer was terrible. There were only about 4/50 that were really great shots worthy of showing off and if we did want to purchase more it was $10 per shot. The wedding was beautiful, the reception dinner was amazing and the reception setting was also amazing. They provided microphone and sound system that were in good working order. The service however leaves much to be desired.
Our honey moon was great!!! We really did have an amazing time!! A great family destination, but leave your wedding to someone who cares, and leave your money at home.
PS.. Don't get duped into visiting the Zoltry it's a total scam.

Room Tip: Jr. Suite is the same as a honey moon suite, except honey moon suites cost more.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank csl_1979

Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed at both Dreams and Excellence in Punta Cana so I thought I'd do a quick comparison. The biggest difference is that Excellence is adults only and Dreams includes families. Also, at Excellence, the power goes out all the time but not once at Dreams. The food is better at Dreams, too. However, at Dreams, they had this inedible lobster bisque and we watched all the other tables order it and not eat it. That was entertaining. As much as I really like Excellence, Dreams was an awesome resort; much better than I expected.

At Dreams, the safe had some issues locking and sometimes you have to try a few times before it locks. Always test it before you walk away from your valuables. The wifi at Dreams was a little frustrating because even though you are entitled to 24-hour access to it in the preferred package, you have to get a new password every 12 hours.

Finally, it is a really long walk from the beach to the lobby, so don't forget anything and then have to make extra trips back and forth.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Leslie H
Reviewed December 20, 2011

**The drop-down for when I traveled to this resort only allows a date in 2011 and I went in October of 2008 - I've heard it has only improved since then.

Upon our arrival we were pretty excited about this place. They rolled a set of metal stairs up to the plane for us to exit. Everyone was polite. The airport was different - in a good way, open-air and had a thatch roof. The humidity was intense!

Our travel agent told us that the resort was 30 minutes from the airport. It actually took closer to 90 minutes to get there and we had to travel through something that resembled what hell might be like in order to get there. It was also like driving on the surface of the moon. The roads were unpaved, had craters the size of a VW beetle everywhere, people just hanging from vehicles - which were just whipping around in all directions on all sides with seemingly no organization. There were people squatting and relieving themselves along the street... there was something wrapped in an old carpet laying in the middle of the "street" that a dog was devouring... we had to wait and honk until he would move... I am uncertain of what was within the rolled carpet - but, I can surely guess.

(we made a video of it where you can see us bouncing around wildly from the craters and wild driving - we also took a photo of the dog eating from the carpet.. if you'd like to see)

Once the ride from hell was over, we arrived at a beautiful gated resort. The lobby was absolutely beautiful, the staff was attentive and friendly and gave us each a bottle of their domestic beer - el presidente. It was gross, but who cares - this place was beautiful! We were given a map to our room, which was necessary. There is A LOT of walking involved at this resort!!

Our room was ground level and when you walked out, you could get right into the pool which snaked through the entire resort!!! It was amazing! The pool bars were great, the bartenders were awesome, they had tons of fun activities planned all day.

The night life was awesome!! They have a huuuuge theater with comfy seats and the shows were very impressive - better than I've ever seen anywhere else. There was a great nightclub where you could dance all night, They also have a small casino, which was fun! We made some amazing friends on our trip!! One who ended up being in my wedding! Great people, staff and guests.

I really loved it at this resort!! The beaches were nice (the water... not so much, but the pools made up for that!! They had these really cool "beds" on the beaches where you could chill and actually nap on the beach! It was beautiful They also had evening events planned, like romantic bonfires on the beach (which were a bit crazy die to high winds) but it was fun, They played the song "total eclipse of the heart" on repeat... it was hilarious.

Anyway, overall I would recommend this place and I would actually go back! I never like to go to the same place twice.

However, there were some drawbacks. The food was kind of sucky. Actually, compared to all of the resorts I've been to, I believe this food was the worst. But, they had room service where you could order pizza which was what we counted on every night since the food in the restaurants was nearly inedible and was about enough for a 3 week-old baby.

Onto the WORST part (for me, anyway). I was HORRIFIED to discover that there were gigantic tarantulas all about. I am afraid of spiders the size of a pencil eraser, so imagine my horror when I learned that there were tarantulas the size of my husband's giant hands running around eating, who knows what! Birds? Babies? I don't know - I just know that I was frightened constantly. I looked around every corner with fright... I searched our room thoroughly, heart racing, every night before I would relax. Honestly, their presence nearly ruined my vacation. People kept showing us pictures of them on their phones that they'd taken when stumbling upon one. My lord... if you're afraid of spiders.. you may want to consider a different locale.

The ride back to the airport was exceptionally different than the ride there. The bus we rode in took us on PAVED streets... and got us there in nearly half of the time. It seems the van driver who initially picked us up at the airport wanted to take us on the "scenic" route.

Overall I would say YES!! GO!! There was so much about it that was GREAT!! You do have to speak a little bit of spanish to get by, order the pizzas from room service and hoard them in your room because you WILL be hungry and you do have to avoid the tarantulas!!! but, otherwise - it rocked!!!

So, yes. GO! Enjoy :)

Room Tip: get a ground level room! Every room has immediate access to the never-ending pool!!
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nunya B
Reviewed December 20, 2011

i loved the resort, the food was excellent and the people were amazing... i will be going back had a blast. the drinks were also up to par- Angel and joaquin at the sugar reef bar were the best. in the world cafe Estefani and franklin were the best waiters and for the entertainment team wilson and wilbert were cool.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jeff p
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was there in the early December and I really enjoyed everything... The food was awesome, also my room was all the time very clean thanks to the wonderfull maid. The entertainment fantastic! Wilbert its the best, great at hosting the events and such a good personality... Overall my stay was great viz he helped me out and kept me buddy in all the games. Thanks dreams !

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank gboy9
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I loved it. My wife an I had a great relaxing vacation, the service was good all and all we will be going back next year

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank kegraties
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Me and wife spend our honymoon here, it was the best vaccation ever. Great service, awesome food, lovely staff and worlds greatest entertainment team and dancers.
Highly recommended. Money well spend!
Ysabel, Wilbert, Hector, Jc, Wilson, Dj Joel and Chiquitin..thank you guys for the best Honeymoon ever we love u!!

• Stayed: December 2011