“4-star - certainly not 5-star in Blk4”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Georgetown, Canada
“4-star - certainly not 5-star in Blk4”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We were guests at Dreams the week of September 13th, 2011. The grounds are immaculate, the evening shows in the theatre were wonderful with the hardest-working entertainers I ever seen (Letticia – you are great - Te Amo!) and the food is excellent throughout the complex! The time-share “sharks” were abundant in the lobby (selling time share for the resort). Some folks not used to these high-pressure antics can easily form less-than ideal opinions of the resort. However, that’s how these poor individuals make a living so just give them a firm “not interested” response and they usually ignore you thereafter.
Sure, the one pool was closed for maintenance during our visit but there was ample space at the adjacent pool without over –crowding.
Overall, we completely enjoyed our vacation at Dreams Punta Cana(da) Resort and Spa and would like to return one day!
¡gracias por todo

Room Tip: Our Blk 4 - ground floor room had an "aged" appearance but was clean and well maintained b...
1 Thank bacagem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,911)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I’ll have to admit that when I read some of the negative reviews, like some, I also became worried. I seriously considered cancelling and rebooting with another resort. However, I only had a week before the trip and really didn’t want to make a last minute decision based on reviews alone.

I’m also a firm believer that you make your vacation what you want it to be, of course there are some exceptions.

Checking in was interesting. It almost seemed as if they were not expecting us and were surprised to learn we were Preferred Guest. None the less, the person that initially greeted us asked us to follow him to the V.I.P lounge and everything was smooth from that point forward.

The resort is fairly large, not so large where one will get lost, but large enough that I sometimes wished they had a golf cart running guest back and forth along the back end of the resort

The main lobby was constantly filled with people offering a “free trip to the sister resort,” Zoerth (SP) or excursions. A simple no thank you or “no gracias” sufficed. However, it did get a little old after a while.

I’ll repeat myself, that a vacation is what you make it. Some days I felt lazy and will just sit out near the beach, other days I would be in the pool having a drink and relaxing, and then the other days we played pool volley ball, polo, some other game that involved throwing eggs. This resort, or maybe it’s a mindset, is really what you make of it.

The entertainment staff is right on point. They easily located by the pool, near an outside bar, or on the beach. To be honest I even saw a few walking around the resort inviting people to come to the show or asking if they wanted to participate in a specific event/game later on. They seemed completely genuine in wanting the guest to have a good time. Never once did I see them be disrespectful or too flirty.

What To Do Outside/Nearby The Resort:
Dreams Punta Cana is in the middle of nowhere; however there is a little market area about 5 to 10 minutes walking (Walking out the front gate you make a right and you’ll run right into the market area. If leaving from the beach make a left and you’ll see a “Gift Stores” sign, take the small dirt path and pass the initial stores till you get to the restaurant “Coco”)

At Restaurant Coco Tropical, you can get a real lobster (see picture) for a really good price. The owner, Coco, is a really good guy.

As a whole, this is an awesome resort.... Not because of it's location and the beach, but because of their staff

Room Tip: Get a preferred room and bring a laptop if you must have access to the Internet. The top shelf liquo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mjohns2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I visited this resort from 3 September 2011 to 17 September 2011

I was a bit concerned after reading some negative reviews before travelling however to my surprise the place was great. I have been visiting the DR for around 14 years now and have stayed at various hotels in Playa Grande, Bahia Maimon, Corfresi etc, Dreams Punta Cana is definitely the best hotel I have visited on this Island

The staff could not have been nicer they were very friendly, and not too pushy like some entertainment staff I have witnessed in the past JC from the entertainment team was a very pleasant and always stopped to mask how our holiday was going and if there was anything he could do for us.

The food at this hotel is nothing short of excellent for such a large resort the various amount of restaurants all served hot food which was very well cooked our favourite waiter was Ramon he was extremely professional and new all the menus inside out he could work anywhere

We found the staff on reception to be very helpful I can honestly say that it’s the first time I have had what seemed like a GENUINE welcome to a hotel in the DR

Our rooms were comfortable well furnished and the AC worked well it was freezing and we had at times to turn it off this is exactly the way we like it I was with a wedding party so in total we had 5 rooms and all were the same

I was the best man at my Brothers wedding at this hotel on 13 September 2011 the hotel done us all proud they took care of everything and sectioned off a private terraced area near the Asian restaurant where we had music a meal and a private bar it was all done very tastefully and very impressive

I could go on about this place all day but to sum up. This is a great hotel for adults and kids we will definitely be going back and I would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: for great AC try room 4205
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Pablo2465
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

In 2009 we visited Dreams La Romana and that was out of this world. In 2010 we visited Bahia Principe in San Juan and that was a complete disaster so we visited Dreams Punta Cana this year. It was really lovely. The hotel itself is lovely and clean and restaurants and bars catering for everyones needs. The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us. The pool was great and deep enough for my 9 year old to swim in. The pool was very clean and well maintained. There were plenty of sun loungers and beds both on the beach and by the pool with excellent pool service from bar staff. It was really lovely to see supervisor staff laughing and working with their staff and we could see that there was a good rapport - unlike last year's experience. The hotel rooms were nicely furnished but the maid service was poor. I wrote to the hotel a few weeks before we started our holiday to request connecting rooms and also to request information about the hotel's package on wedding vow renewal - I never got a response, despite 4 e-mails and finally a written leter. When we arrived we were not allocated connecting rooms but when the receptionist saw my distress, he changed our rooms to connecting. I could not imagine anyone wanting to be 10 rooms away from their 15 year old and 9 year old children. We were in block 4 and the noise from the birds at 6am was terrible - they would come inside the block and squawk in the corridor for 20 minutes. We used the spa and that was really lovely. Staff on reception were not very friendly but massage staff were excellent. You are entitled to 1 hour in the spa free if you are booking treatments so make sure you avail of this service because we were not told this and I was really disappointed about this - given that I had booked 3 lots of treatments at a cost of almost $500 !!The food was lovely and always hot. The variety and quantity was excellent and a try of the smoothies in the world cafe is a must. The down side for me was the sea. The beach was lovely and views really great but I heard that there were a lot of rocks to get through in the sea and we saw lots of jelly fish eggs on the beach. The entertainment was really good but I have to say that I think this hotel caters for the American tourist market who seem only to take 1 week holidays. The entertainment was the same week on week which was not good when we were staying 2 weeks. We used the Children's club and that was lovely with excellent staff and very clean facilities. Again, their programme was the same week on week which was not good when my daughter had to see the same movie twice. We also used the Core Zone for teenagers and that was good too. We went horse riding and that was a good experience and we also did a shopping trip which was good - for us, it was nice to get away from the hotel for a while during the stay just for the variety. Overall I liked this hotel, it ticked most of the boxes but there was just something missing and I cannot tell you what it was. I think the complex was too big for us. I just loved Dreams La Romana and I would go back there in a heart beat. I don't think I would visit Dreams Punta Cana again but I would definately recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We recently took a family vacation to Dreams. We were in love. As a family who travels ALOT to more upscale resorts we were 100% satisfied. We upgraded to the Preferred Club and it was worth every penny. The rooms are nicer and right on the beach. I can see people complaining about the walk to the beach if you get a building closer to the main building. You get a private clubhouse that has top shelf liquor, food 24/7, computers, 24/7 room service, private cabanas on the beach, mini bar in room, private breakfast dining room with better options and much more. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They did tons of activites during our stay to keep you entertained all day. Our few little problems were since the resort was not full, not all the restaurants were open every night. And every other night they have vendors come in who set up tables who sell jewerly and paintings. These people are a little pushy. During the day, people walk the beach to get you to do some excursions they can be a little pushy as well, but once you tell them firmly no thank you, they go away.

We also loved the casino. I know some people said it was small, but we weren't expecting Caesar's Palace. It is indeed small but they will open up tables for groups. The Italian restaurant was by far the best restaurant. The buffet has extensive options.

Also, someone mentioned the pool closes at 6pm, that is not true. The pool bar closes at 6pm but the pool is open till 10pm.

Things to know:
1) The ride from the airport is about 45mins to 1 hour
2) It's a little crazy at the airport, these guys come up and want to help you with your bags but they try to bring you to this timeshare booth so try to avoid this.
3) There really aren't any excursions outside the resort
4) Pay the extra money for the Preferred Club, I think you would be much happier
5) Bring some cash to tip people
6) Bring long pants for the men, half the restaurants require this
7) They don't take reservations for dinner

Room Tip: Preferred Club Room, closer to beach and more spacious
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
20 Thank stiney23
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is our third stay at Dreams punta cana. The first time we stayed here was when the resort was owned by Sunscape. We had the most fabulous holiday ever. We returned a year later when Dreams owned the resort and to be honest the experience wasn't as good. The food went dramatically down hill but we didnt care because we loved the staff , pool area and rooms and once again we had a fabulous holiday. Our last visit was 8th September for 1 week. Once again we had a lovely time but we have realised that this hotel is very outdated and is in need of a serious upgrade. Definitely 4* now and not 5*. The food was ok this time but nothing to write home about. With regards to the room we requested a top floor pool view and we got a bottom floor garden view with twin beds. When we entered the room for the first time there was a musty smell. This isnt a big deal for us as we spend a couple of hours tops per day in the room i am simply writing it for families who might spend more time in the rooms.

The people who make this resort work are the staff! They work so hard at making your holiday the best it can be. The entertainment staff and waiters must work 15 hours a day every day for a pittance but they always have a smile on their faces and always welcome you. Our fave members of staff were Ramon in oceana restaurant and Alcaduo, Arismendy, fransisco and santana from the Show Bar. Anytime we put an empty glass down on the bar they were there straight away to fill it up. They were polite and suggested different drinks for us to try. I cannot commend them enough.

i am of two minds about Dreams because it is the place we go for a relaxing holiday where we lie on sunbeds all day and have a meal and a few drinks at night and we love it but because the need of a serious refurb we will not be visiting again until this is done and a 5* has been earned.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade if you can afford it as buildings 2,3,4 and 5 are apparently being upgraded (but...
1 Thank LucindaHardman
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Travelled September 2011 and booked with Thomson online the week before we were due to fly. Went with my partner as a couple. Booked their Deluxe Room based on what we had seen on the internet.

Check in at Punta Cana:
From the minute you step from the plane at Punta Cana, the airport it is very hot and humid! It was 90 degrees at 4.30pm and it wasn’t even sunny. The airport building is half outdoors and you queue in this heat to buy a tourist visa (10 USD). We queued for about 45 minutes but were dressed for the journey and the England weather we had left at Gatwick (d'oh!)....we were absolutely boiling. By the time we got to the luggage belt, out luggage had been taken off and our cases were sat at the side. This, I didn’t like. Anyhow, make sure you are dressed for this and have water ready, especially if you have children.

Transfers:
One word, awful! As we had booked with Thomson, you expect the usual Thomson Rep on hand, lovely air-conditioned coach which fit for purpose and can accommodate everyone. Not this time... 12 seater mini-bus, air-conditioning questionable and luggage piled so high to the roof. The transfer is one hour and is on the English equivalent of back streets. I’m a good traveller but I felt unwell once we arrived at the hotel. All this for £50 each! The transfer is more like 90 minutes rather than the 45 minutes advertised.

Arrival at hotel and rooms:
Reception staff are lovely and check-in is quick! You are greeted with cold drinks on arrival, which are very much appreciated. I had read Trip Advisor prior to arriving and had emailed the resort with my concerns about the bad reviews on the rooms and asked for a 'refurbished' room avoiding blocks 3, 4 and 5 as previous reviews said they weren't of a great standard. The hotel emailed back very quickly trying to sell me an upgrade to a premium deluxe room. I politely declined (we had paid enough already and the ‘double deluxe room pictures on the Thomson website look lovely!).
The way it is set out at Dreams is there are 8 accommodation blocks, 4 down each side of the resort with the 'lagoon like pool' in the middle that leads from the reception at the top to the beach at the bottom and has jacuzzis built in. Once I had declined an upgrade, I heard nothing more from the hotel which I found strange.
On arrival, we were told we had a room in block 5 (5122). I feared the worst and this was confirmed when we saw the room. It was horrendous and here’s why: It smelt damp and rotten (smell trying to be masked by burning scent sticks!), the room was dirty, it had cream coloured furnishings such as the sofa bed and bedspread but these were old and stained/dirty, the curtains and blinds were ill fitting, an old TV was stuck in a cupboard with ill fitting doors and finally a damp smelling, dingy and dirty bathroom. You get the picture. I booked a 3 star 18/30’s holiday to Magaluf back when I was 20 and this accommodation was not dissimilar. I didn’t even put the bags in the room before heading back to the reception to be moved. We were told that the rooms on blocks 3, 4 and 5 are all the same standard and are the double deluxe we had already been allocated so it was pointless us moving. I pointed out that that the picture on the Thomson website shows a different standard of rooms (ie habitable, new and clean) and it turns out that the double deluxe room shown on the website is actually an upgrade room. I have taken this up with Thomson and they have been helpful and are investigating.
Beware if you have booked a double deluxe room, work on the assumption you will hate it and consider paying 140 USD to upgrade. We toyed with the idea of leaving the hotel altogether and going to The Hard Rock Hotel (our 2nd choice) but paid our 140USD to upgrade and we stayed, with the view of taking it up with Thomson on our return. For this price we got a lovely 'premier' deluxe double with a pool view and basically from our terrace we could jump in the pool and it was beautiful.... well it would have been if they didn't shut 2/3 of the pool the next day! Room service was good (thanks to our lovely and sweet waiter, Joel!)

Pool
The hotel is advertised as surrounded by a ‘lagoon like pool with a swim up bar and jacuzzis' within the pool. This was a selling point for us. We were looking forward to swimming the length of the pool which spans the resort top to bottom. We also looked forward to a drink in the swim up bar before relaxing in the Jacuzzis. We would have done this if not for the fact when we woke up on our first morning, 2/3 of the pool was cordoned off for ‘essential maintenance’. No swim up bar, no Jacuzzis and no swimming the length of the resort! Crime-scene type cordon tape surrounded 2/3 of the pool and it was drained completely. This left the whole hotel cramming round the remaining 1/3 of the pool and it was incredibly cramped. We sunbathed on the grass! Staff did not bother bringing the spare sunbeds over, just rendered them unusable because they were within the cordoned area!
Of course, our ‘pool view’ room was in this 2/3 so not only could we not use the pool to swim and therefore didn’t have a pool view (despite paying for an upgrade) but we had workmen outside our room drilling, working, cleaning, chopping trees and generally creating dust and dirt so we couldn’t use our terrace! This meant no drying bikinis, reading books or having a few drinks from our mini-bar on the patio. We had no privacy due to the pool being 3 metres away and we had to keep our patio doors and curtains closed the entire time. The hotel asked later why we didn't ask to change rooms.... we were told it was the last upgrade they had available when we originally moved rooms. Convenient.
We asked for how long the maintenance had been planned but the hotel would not answer. They said it was 'an emergency'. The pool was still shut when we left... looked like routine, planned maintenance to me.

Food/drinks/entertainment
Amazing! The main buffet is the World Cafe. The staff here are fantastic, friendly and seem genuinely pleased to see you. I would be extremely surprised if you couldn't find something you liked here. We went to the A La Carte grill one night but found it was just UK type food ie burgers and chips. Great if you have children or fancy some normal food but wasn't for us. We didn't try the others except for El Patio which was nice but we did miss the buffet that night!
Staff walk around the resort bringing you drinks. I was swimming (in the non-lagoon like pool!) when a waiter swam upto me in full uniform with a tray! Hilarious! We tipped here and there to our favourite staff but this wasn't expected and seemed much appreciated.
Entertainment was good, typical hotel family fun and i loved it. The disco was great fun to just people watch! The karaoke was great and the Americans who made up the majority of the occupancy were great fun.

Trips
We booked a boat trip from the towel hut at the hotel and it was fabulous. Paid 105 USD for a non-dive boat trip and my partner paid 195 USD on the same trip but dived twice . Was a full day, food and drinks included and was great. Well worth the money. The second trip we did was the Canopy Zip-Wire adventure. Used the hotel internet cafe and booked direct using the link on trip advisor. Was 80 USD and was hassle free. Saved £15 doing it this way and it was the same trip! Fantastic fun, very very safe and well worth doing.

Weather was up and down as to be expected as it's rainy season but we had some lovely sunshine. Take DVD's for the days its thundery and overcast and just order room service! Take a good insect repellent spray/plug in as we got bitten by insects and I never get bitten!
I wasn't ill once despite being away and eating/drinking too much!! Just follow the usual abroad rules and you will be fine. They use bottled water for ice etc anyway.

Overall it was a great holiday but this was because my partner and I made it this way, didn't let the construction work and the poor rooms issue spoil it and of course the wonderful staff made it great. We couldn't go to Mexico as the flights were inconvenient for us but really wish we had maybe gone a few weeks later instead and perhaps then we would have had the more luxurious resort for much the same price. Would I go again.....maybe as a last minute holiday at a REALLY good price!

Room Tip: Blocks 1 and 2 are near the beach and you have to pay extra. They are a little walk from reception b...
1 Thank SarahL-and-DaveC