Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Last august me my husband and 14 year old daughter visited this hotel for two weeks- best holiday we have ever had! Perhaps this was due to the fact that this was our first all inclusive holiday as we usually go self catering but never again! It was also our first trip to the dominican and we would definatly go back!

Firstly we were a little concerned about our junior suites after hearing poor reviews but they were great. After all the holiday is not about the room as we were never in it. It was all we needed and the cleaning staff visited daily. Our mini fridge was replenished every day or two. Room service was also available which we did a few times and was delievered in around 20 minutes.

Next the pools, perfect as my daughter loves the water! It was huge stretching form one end of the pool to the other although it wasnt as deep as we would of liked. As the pool was so big there was plenty of room to do your own thing and not get in the way for anyone. The hotel also offered learner scuba diving in the pool each day although none of us did this as my daughter did a scuba diving excursion.

The hotel grounds were immaculate, staff always cleaing it. Every part of the hotel was so clean which is comforting in a foreign country. We did see a few wedding and I must say this place is perfect for them.

The beach was lovely although the only downfall was the rocks in the sea. My daughter loves the sea and this certainly did not stop her. Instead using the rocks to her advantage snorkelled and the fish amoung the rocks were fabulous. There is some sea weed on the beach but the hotel staff do their best to keep it clean. There is also a range of watersports offered a few at a minor price which my family used daily.

The food was fabulous, nothing like we would of expected for an all inclusive. The world cafe was great for breakfast as there was a fantastic range. We did not go here for dinner as we prefer non buffet. The chinse resteraunt was a regular for us but we got bothered by the loud people in the tepenyaki section. However we knew why they made such a fuss when we tried it. It was soo much fun, loved it but only got to do it once. The grill was lovely as was the seafood place. Unfortunatly we could not go to the french resteraunt as it was for adults only but we would of loved to try it.

Overall this was a brilliant holiday and would definately go again. We are not going there this year as we are not the kind of family who go back to the same place as we like to try different things. However it has definatly turned us all inclusive and we are trying the sensatori in Mexico next week. The only downfall was it being in the middle of no where but this did not matter to us as we like to do nothing and relax but there is plenty to keep you entertained. For those who like to venture out there is plenty excursions to go on. Definately reccoment it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank katesykes
Write a ReviewReviews (11,673)

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Although the place is beautiful with a great beachfront, beautifully kept grounds/pool, and with good restuarants, it is sorely lacking in the creature comforts after a hot day in the Dominican Republic. NOTHING was sufficiently air conditioned... so you found yourself HOT, dripping all the time. Rooms were not cool... an overhead fan above the comfortable bed did nothing to cool you (and we changed rooms thinking it was a problem in just one room!) No restuarants were air conditioned and when dressing for a romantic dinner, you could not be comfortable dining. Just simply sad for a beautiful place...other than being in the pool, the most comfortable time was in the VAN going BACK to the airport... THAT was airconditioned! Listening to others who stayed at different resorts, they did not have the same experience in their hotels... so yes, think again because it was VERY hot and VERY humid every day....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed at Dreams for a week in the middle of June 2011 and had an AMAZING time, which i hold every single employee responsible for! All of the entertainers made the trip SO much fun! They are all hilarious and so much fun, probably without my favoritesss Wilbert, Ranfi, Eric and Elise and basically the entire team...the trip just would not have been the same! The food is amazing and the night time shows are always wonderful. I would not hesitate to come stay again, i actually began planning my next trip even before i left the resort. Thanks Dreams for a wonderful vacation :)

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kate0818
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I just don't understand the latest negative reviews. I stayed there with my family of 6 last week of June over 4th of July. We all had a great time. Pool- awesome! Never a problem with a chair or service. Beach was beautiful. Yes, some seaweed but it was not in the designated swimming area. Air conditioning was fine in our 2 rooms. I was expecting mosquitoes, but never saw a one. Everyone we talked to around the pool commented on the lack of bugs. Food was great. Even my picky family loved most of it. The only hot restaurant was the Japanese but that was because of the open grills. All other restaurants were very comfortable. Staff was very nice. All entertainers were great and a lot of fun. Explorers club was outstanding in the personal attention they gave the kids. And the core zone. I couldn't get my 15 year old son away from there. I think he made a lifelong friend with a staff member that was running it. All in all very happy and I too was skeptical before going. My family will kill me if I don't take them back again.

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank Jandsd123
Reviewed July 9, 2011

just to let you all know ,this is a fantastic hotel.the service the food and the alcohol are all first classs.we had no problems at all and enjoyed every minute .would not hesitate going back.some friends have just returned and say its still the same in 2011.if you are going lucky you .you will not be dissapoited

Room Tip: try the japaneese resturant
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank cxelticjunior
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We (me, my husband and 2 yr old son) went with another couple. We were there from June 30th and left on July 7th. We went since the couple we were travelling with chose the resort and had been to several Dreams properties in Mexico. We went to Dreams Riviera Cancun last year and the Punta Cana resort is certainly not on par. Granted the mexico resort is brand new, but I think to keep with the branding, it needs a lot of improvement.

I emailed back and forth with Margarita to go over room upgrades to the refurbished rooms as I read on the reviews. She also arranged our transfers to and from the airport, which was exceptional. We didn't have to deal with any airport drama and we were thankful it was so easy. Our room was ready upon arrival and we were both given 3rd floor rooms which I didn't think anything of until I realized there were no elevators. It wouldn't have been an issue except we had a stroller and a 2 yr old. We decided it was fine and took the 3rd floor room. The air conditioning in both of our rooms were not working well...or at least well enough for the money we spent to be there. We decided to stay in it and see how it went. I couldn't sleep that night and the next day the concierge in building one show my husband and our friend a couple of other rooms on the lower floors with better a/c. One of them wasn't much better but the second one was an improvement so we decided to switch rooms to the second floor room. After that, my room was comfortable until the last night which felt sticky and humid again. Our friends stayed in their original room since they felt the second room wasn't much better.

The concierge in our building one was excellent. He was gracious, friendly and ALWAYS helpful as is much of the staff. When i asked for more towels I got them. Margarita even sent us a fruit boat welcoming us and it was a nice touch.

The pool was fantastic as was the pool bar. The shows were fabulous and they did a great 4th of July celebration for us americans.

The food was so so. We went to Himitsu but I think they may have left out some ingredients in my fried rice. It was tasteless. White steamed rice had more taste than my fried rice so it was odd. We just figured they left some salt or soy sauce out or something. The World Cafe is mostly unbearable due to lack of a/c. I remember dripping sweat so bad....it was like i had jumped in the pool.

We had our best meals in the seaside grill.

We went kayaking while there. My friend and I took one kayak and my husband and son were in another. My husband ended up flipping over and luckily my son was wearing his green life vest we brought with us on the trip and he was safe, but the guys on the beach who were suppose to be watching us and making sure we were ok, had their heads down the whole entire time chatting with one another that never once did they look up till my friend and I helped get them back to the beach. Then as i was getting out of the kayak I got hit with it and bruised my foot really bad. We told the guy running the beach activities stand and he wasn't happy about what we told him. He spoke with his guys down on the beach and they told him that the guys said we weren't that far out and by the time they would get to us, we would have already been to the shore. It was a good ten minutes of me waving at them to try to get their attention and not one of them looked up. So we thankfully made it to shore. I did see the manage having a heated discussion with his staff...basically chewing them out for the incident so I did feel as though he cared about us and wanted us to have a safe experience.

I would NEVER go back to this particular resort. We had a great time together. My son MJ made a ton of new friends. People knew his name and we didn't even know who they were so we had a great experience with other guests of the hotel as well as the staff, but the hotel itself needs a lot of work and I'm shocked that Dreams is even calling it a Dreams Resort. It's not on par with their brand and I think it's very misleading. They also need to fix the information books in their rooms. Ours wasn't complete. Our first room had a lamp shade missing, light bulbs burned out, etc. Those types of things there are no excuses for since they are so simple to fix. If you want to be the best, be the best at everything inlcuding those little things. Our bed the second half of our stay wasnt even fully made anymore. She put the small pillows back on, but the big pillows just stayed laying on the floor and the red pillow was on our couch. We paid for the refurbished room and wished we had not.

We did the Saona Island tour as well. It was ok. Lots of bee's. I got stung by one and dealt with it all week. Had to finally see the doctor at the resort. She charges 100 bucks for the visit which was reasonable but she gave me prescriptions and couldn't tell me the cost till 2 days later. She wanted me to come back for a follow up appointment but failed to tell me it was extra so I didn't; go. My sting is fine now, but just be up front and honest...I felt the cost of the extra appt and prescriptions was purposely not told to me. She said she had to send off the information to get the price back, but it didn't make any sense. She also wanted me to go to a specialist at the clinic in town, Honestly, I was better off just waiting till I got home. I don;'t feel like she knew enough to help me anyway.

I wouldn't spend the money to go here. Not unless they tore the building down and built new. It just seems like a money pit to me. Although, Dreams is part of a larger company that should be able to fix the issues. The rooms that are refurbished...really aren't that much different than a regular room. New sheets in a different color really.

Overall, we enjoyed our family time and enjoyed seeing our son MJ swim around in the pool with his green vest and making friends. Other than that, not worth what we paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Dreams punta cana was a brilliant hotel to stay in! We was there for 2 weeks and didnt want to leave. The entertainment staff were awsome especially JC (my dinner partner) and else they were both 5* like the hotel! would highly recondmend this resort.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple