“Excellent Vacations”

Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Ranked #24 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel was beautiful and all the service in the hotel where more than great they were excellent i loved the rooms and all the areas where out of a movie, i have lots of people to thank for there help and service they make you feel if you where home, but i have a couple of special people to be more thankful not only for their love and care but for all their service when we were having lunch or any meals they were always there. The are Dinoro Lombo and Nuris R. they are waiters at the buffet lounge wow i was so impress with these two great people that if i go back next year i will be looking for them, they have a very special care and touch for everyone. Thank you for all your help and service.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank odalysp26
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear odalysp26,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Royalton Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Royalton Punta Cana.

Royalton Punta Cana & Memories Splash

Write a ReviewReviews (10,559)

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Firstly, we had booked the hotel for our honeymoon, and the hotel was well aware of this. We had paid for diamond club and check in was great! Our room, however, was not. We had a second floor room that overlooked a neighboring resorts rooms and was above the service alley, when we heard the bins being taken out and workers chatting/driving/shouting, also, our safe said low battery. We had no champagne as promised and no fruit/chocolates. They knew we were on our honeymoon and even wrote it down again upon check in. I was so disappointed and it didn't feel special at all. I asked to be moved and got transferred to a top floor room with a view of the adult pool and the ocean, much better! Still no champagne and another safe with low battery. Our diamond club concierge Tapanese was lovely, she booked all of our dining arrangements at check in. We LOVED Hunters steak house, didn't really like Opa the atmosphere was lacking, it was hot and although I'm glad they serve lamb, it was overcooked, we really enjoyed the service at Grazie, but the food was just ok. We also went to Cavas tapas which was EXCELLENT, we tried pretty much everything. We went to the buffet for breakfast every day, which was great, lunch it was nothing special, but still good enough, I was disappointed that they had lox/smoked salmon in the evening but not at breakfast for bagels-even when I asked for it! Zen may have been good if we weren't made to wait an hour (even with a reservation!) and weren't sat with solely Spanish speaking people... 10 at the table, 2 of us were English = everything in Spanish. The food was pretty bland too. The cafe was ok, very small cups and opens too late to be worth bothering, ice cream from there was god though. I did not like the lobby bar, the staff were oblivious or rude, we waited 20mins for a drink then left. As we went during the World Cup Scores (sports bar) was great, having only one guy behind the bar made things a little slow, but he was working his butt off. We didn't go to any bars or restaurants in Memories Splash resort, although the option was there. The adult pool was very quiet and always had cabanas, the bar staff were friendly, but we mostly sat at the main pool with swim up bar, or on the beach and we never had any problem getting beds. The diamond club bar was good, but the smoothies in the morning were hit or miss. The nightly entertainment was sufficient, but the Michael Jackson show was great!!!! The beach party was brilliant and changed nights from wed to tues to honour Canada day- the fire dancers were great. The whole entertainment team was fantastic, especially Mary and Jordain, who seemed to always be there, day and night with energy and smiles! The nightclub was fun, but got crowded and was hard to get drinks. The casino was small but fun. Yoga in the day was nice, but it was at 10 (too hot) and was facing the resort, despite being on the beach with a beautiful ocean (behind us!). The boys loved playing football on the beach and got really serious at times haha. Reyes, one of the 'coconut' guys was the worst employee. He was rude, lazy and threatening. I felt very uncomfortable around him, and he was asking for cigarettes at the pool while he was working and asking why when he was told no. He sits in the hut by the diamond bar and when I went to get a coconut he said "oh, that guy is at lunch" despite him donning the coconut tshirt and hat!? We went to the water park at memories splash and it was a lot of fun, even for us big kids! We loved taking the kayaks out, although we're disappointed that we couldn't take a snorkel and a kayak (even though 2 of us were sharing the kayak and would only need one snorkel). Do be careful if you have never ocean kayaked before, there are sea urchins and coral in some spots, and if you overturn,
you can get hurt! The resort itself was very clean and tidy and the housekeeping was great- make sure you remember to tip them too! The private butler wasn't really worth having, but after 4 days of being there, the finally put a honeymooners sign on our door and gave us cheese and crackers... We also eventually got the 'champagne' after asking 3 times... I don't consider that prompt service. We did get room service, the burger was ridiculously small and the salad wasn't great. Our mini fridge in the room was not replenished for 2 days and after asking it took another day to get anything, but everyone will wait to be tipped, regardless. We are big tippers and have both been in the service industry, but I don't think I should be forced to tip for something that should have already been done, days ago! Luckily we made a few great friends whilst there, and decided to go on the boogie adventure, which we booked through the excursions stand at the hotel. We took quad bikes (better than the buggies and less dusty!) to Macao beach, through the villages on dirt roads to a coffee, tobacco and chocolate plantation, then to swim in a cave! It was amazing and our tour had just missed the masses, which was great! We swam for a while and when we got out, there was a line of 200 people waiting to get in!!! Highly recommend this tour. We saw a lot of children who ran out to say hi or high five you on the tour, I suggest taking toiletries and pens and paper from the hotel to give to them, it is much appreciated, it is amazing how little they have. Overall it was a good time, but SOME of the staff really let this place down.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank GetYourPassportReady
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear GetYourPassportReady,

Thank you for taking time to report your recent experience at Royalton Punta Cana, we are really happy to read your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent visit.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. We can assure you we always try to do everything as possible to create enjoyable experiences to our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

It would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My girlfriend and I did a great deal of research before deciding on a vacation spot and eventually settled on the Royalton Casino and Resort, Punta Cana (technically it’s in Bavaro, but it’s listed as Punta Cana), the Dominican Republic. This was our first trip to the DR and we had an absolutely amazing vacation. For reference, my girlfriend and I are both in our mid-to-late twenties, so this review is from the perspective of a young couple, not a family with children or members of a larger group.

Also, this is a review of the Royalton Resort and Casino, NOT THE MEMORIES RESORT. The two resorts are part of the same complex and some of the amenities overlap, but Royalton is the resort that actually has beach access and the majority of the restaurants and nightlife/evening activities. And because we stayed in the Royalton, I can’t attest to the quality of the rooms or much else at Memories.

In an effort to make sure that I cover as many aspects of the trip as possible, I’ve divided my review into multiple categories.

Booking
First and foremost, we booked our trip months in advance in order to utilize a Groupon deal that we found online. If your schedule permits, I would highly recommend doing this. We ended up essentially getting our airfare and travel expenses for free, as well as several extra nights at the resort for a discounted price all because of Groupon.

Also, we booked our vacation through Vacation Express (VE), and felt that they did a good job taking care of us. Once we reached the airport it was easy to identify the VE employees due to their distinctive orange shirts, and when we found them it was smooth sailing from there.

Our representative was named Jose and he was also very helpful. While at the resort we went to him with several miscellaneous questions and he helped us to book an excursion and offered advice about souvenir shopping (more on these later).

Travel
Several other reviewers have mentioned this, but I will also note that you should be prepared to pay $10 per person in order to acquire a tourist visa before leaving customs at the Punta Cana airport. You may not be thrilled at this expense, but Jose, our rep from VE, mentioned that this money went to constructing the highway that we used to travel from the airport to the resort. This highway supposedly cut down travel time not only to and from the resorts, but also helps many of the Dominicans who work in the tourism industry to travel inland and visit their families. If this is true, I don’t have a problem paying the $10.

Also, it took us some time to get through customs and out of the airport. From what I could tell, this was purely because of the volume of people trying to get into the country, not from inefficiency on the part of the customs staff. However, I will note that the airport is mostly outdoors (meaning that there is a roof and walls, but it’s essentially open air and not air conditioned), so be prepared to stand and sweat with several hundred other tourists while waiting to get through customs.

After leaving the airport we got on a bus and drove approximately 30 minutes to the resort.

The Royalton Resort
The Royalton resort itself is absolutely beautiful. Upon arriving we were greeted by hotel staff who offered us cool towels and drinks while we checked in. The check in process was relatively easy, and Ron at the front desk was especially helpful and receptive to our questions.

The rooms were also beautiful. While none of the rooms appeared to have a view of the beach, every room did have a balcony. My girlfriend especially enjoyed sitting on the balcony and enjoying her coffee in the morning. Our room also had a king bed, rain shower, mini bar (which is restocked daily with bottled water, coke, sprite and El Presidente beer) and safe (not sure if these were in every room, but I would imagine that they are). The rooms were spotless and were returned to spotlessness on a daily basis by the hotel cleaning staff.

All of the different complexes of rooms (and I believe there were 6) were all within close proximity to the beach and the pools. This is a reason that I would recommend staying at the Royalton and not the Memories Resort, because Memories did not have beach access. In order to get to the beach from Memories you had to take a shuttle (which ran regularly) to the Royalton and then make your way through the resort to the beach. Not the end of the world, but I will take walking out of our room and being on the beach in 3 minutes instead over having to take a shuttle to a separate part of the complex.

The Beach and Pools
The beach was also absolutely beautiful. White sand, clear water – picturesque, really. Our stay at the Royalton was in early August, so I’m not sure if this technically counts as the off season. Either way, the resort was not overly crowded and we never had a problem finding lounge chairs on the beach under a cabana. Some reviewers have mentioned that they had to get up early to find a spot on the beach. I’m not sure when they were at the resort, but we had no such problem in early august. We usually arrived at the beach anywhere between 9-10am and never had an issue finding a spot with some shade. The only time we weren’t able to find chairs under a cabana was when we didn’t get to the beach until about 11:30am (too much tequila the night before), but I would have been surprised if we had found a spot so late in the morning.

The pools were also beautiful. There were several to choose from and it seemed that the children congregated in the pool without the swim up bar, while the adults tended to favor the pool with the bar. There was certainly some crossover, but on the whole we weren’t overwhelmed with screaming and splashing children at either pool. The swim up bar was an excellent amenity and we certainly took advantage of it.

Here I have to make special mention of an employee who really went out of his way to ensure that we had an excellent time at the resort. This was Carlos who was some type of manager of entertainment. From what I gathered, Carlos’ job was basically to get people involved in the various activities that the resort had going on at the beach and the pool during the day. These included beach “Olympics” (an obstacle course and other games), Zumba, pool and beach aerobics, volleyball, and other activities. What really made Carlos stand out was that he learned our names on the first day that we were there and remembered us throughout our trip. Every time he saw us he stopped to talk and ask how we were doing and got us involved in whatever activity was going on that day. It was a pleasure to see Carlos and he deserves a special mention for making this vacation worthwhile.

There were also several employees who regularly walked around the beach and the pool area taking drink orders. This was especially excellent while on the beach because you didn’t even have to leave your lounge chair in order to have a drink. Other employees regularly walked around the beach and the pool collecting empty cups and discarded water bottles, so the area never seemed dirty or filled with trash.

Restaurants and Food
All of the specialized restaurants at the Royalton were absolutely excellent. Another perk of being a Royalton guest was that you also had access to all of the restaurants at the Memories resort. This meant that there were something like 6 or 7 different restaurants to choose from on a nightly basis. They included Mexican, Greek, Italian (one at Memories and one at the Royalton), Seafood, Japanese (sushi and hibachi grill), tapas, and a restaurant called Hunter that specialized in steaks. Our top two favorites were the Greek restaurant (called Opa) and Hunter. Opa was especially nice because some of the outside tables had a view of the beach. This made for a very romantic and beautiful dinner experience because we were able to watch the sunset from a table right next to the beach. Hunter was also exceptional and the food was absolutely delicious.

We weren’t terribly thrilled with the Mexican or Italian restaurant (the one at the Royalton, called Grazie). The food at these places was still very good, but it didn’t quite reach the level of excellence that we experienced at several of the other restaurants. I would recommend trying them all, as you can visit each one as many or as few times as you would like.

The only restaurant that required reservations was the Hibachi grill, which you needed to make a day in advance. We usually arrived at the restaurants around 7:00pm and never had trouble getting a table almost immediately. Again, there were only two of us, so this might be a different story for families or members of a larger group.

The main place for breakfast and lunch was the buffet. The buffet was also excellent and offered more foods than you could possibly try. The selections also seemed to rotate each day, so there’s no worry that you’ll be stuck eating the same thing every day. This is another instance where families with children might have had a different experience. My girlfriend and I were both willing to experiment with different seafood and foreign dishes that we’d never seen or tasted before (goat with garlic sauce, for instance). For us, this was part of the fun. While there were still a number of traditional American dishes (and there were always coldcuts for sandwiches), some families with picky eaters might be a little more limited in their selection of foods. I’m not saying that there was nothing that qualified as typical American because there was always pasta, chicken, and a variety of other dishes, but part of the fun was trying things that we had never seen before. More often than not these dishes turned out to be delicious. But overall, there is certainly something there for everyone. We thought that everything was delicious and enjoyed being able to just pop in for a quick breakfast or lunch and then get right back to the beach.

Nightlife
The pools and the beach usually started to clear out and close down around 7:00 in the evening. This appeared to be done on purpose by the resort to shift the focus from the beach and pools to the nightlife offered by the resort. Honestly, we really enjoyed this aspect of the vacation. It was a lot of fun to spend the day at the beach and then get cleaned up and go out for dinner and drinks each night. Along that line, I will note that the dress code seemed to be primarily evening casual. This meant long pants and collared shirts for the guys and essentially anything for the girls (in the DR, the women are the bosses). While this was the norm, there was by no means a dress code that was enforced. I saw many people wearing shorts and t shirts to dinner, but I felt more comfortable dressing up a little bit. I’d recommend shorts and a polo for guys at the very least, but at the end of the day it’s up to you and I’m sure you’ll be fine with most anything.

Each night the resort had some type of event that took place at 9:30. These included a beach party, jazz night, and a Michael Jackson dancing company. These events were fun to attend and were an interesting part of the night.

I don’t do much gambling, so I can’t speak to the quality of the casino, but I can say that it was always crowded during the evenings.

Regarding the bars available during the evening, I had to give my second special commendation to Nelson at the Martini Bar. We met Nelson our first night at the resort and he was another employee who really went out of his way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. In addition to making excellent drinks, Nelson put up with my broken Spanish and made sure that we had everything we wanted. We were so impressed with Nelson on our first night that we went back to see him every night during our stay. We even got a picture with him before we left, so now he’s officially part of our vacation memories!

Misc
Well, I think that covers most of the main aspects of our trip. However, I will mention a few other things in closing.

DON’T DRINK THE WATER. The resort offers an endless supply of bottled water, so be sure to stay hydrated. Use bottled water even for brushing your teeth and make a concentrated effort to keep your mouth shut in the shower.

Stomach issues – in addition to not drinking the water, I’d recommend bringing some Imodium or other stomach remedy with you. It’s almost impossible to not ingest a little bit of the water from the shower, ocean, or pool, and we definitely had a few days where our stomachs were less than perfect. Also keep an eye on how many sugary drinks you consume. All of that sugar coupled with 3 meals a day of rich food can play some games with your plumbing. Nothing terrible overall, but just be careful, exercise portion control, and don’t drink too many margaritas and you’ll be fine. If you are feeling under the weather, go to Nelson at the martini bar and ask him to make you something to help your stomach. He made both my girlfriend and I some drink with bitters, salt, limes, and soda water that really helped our upset stomachs.

The Diamond Club – neither my girlfriend or I felt it was necessary to shell out the extra cash for the Diamond Club. We got all of the booze and beer we wanted with our regular resort access, and we personally didn’t feel it was necessary to have a private pool or beach because neither area was overly crowded while we were at the resort. Again, a matter of personal preference.

Shopping – my girlfriend really wanted to go souvenir shopping. While I don’t recommend leaving the resort with just anyone, our rep Jose arranged for a van to take us to some shops and a “museum” in town. However, this was the definition of a tourist trap. If you’re looking for authentic souvenirs, don’t spend a single penny of your money at this place. Everything had price tags on it and I even found some “made in China” stamps on several of the souvenirs. Some people are ok with this, but prepared to get fleeced big time.

If you really want to do some authentic shopping, there is a bazaar type area right outside of the resort. However, you need to be aware that these people are going to try and cheat you. Bartering is a must, and you should never take their first offer, and probably not even their second or third. I would only recommend this type of shopping for people who have experience bartering with salesmen in broken English and who are not easily cowed into purchasing something from a pushy salesman. My girlfriend and I both had some experience in this and the bartering was part of the fun, so we were able to get some excellent souvenirs at good prices. But this took some work, and we walked out of more than one shop before we got the prices that we wanted.

Language barrier – Speaking Spanish was by no means necessary, but it certainly was helpful. I know enough Spanish to ask questions and make myself understood, but I am by no means fluent. I think that the employees appreciated the fact that I at least tried to make myself understood, but almost all of them speak enough English to communicate with you. Before approaching someone at random, I would be sure to ask them in Spanish if they speak English (Hablas Ingles?) before launching into a conversation with them. I definitely encountered a few employees who quickly referred me to someone else when I couldn’t make myself understood in Spanish Also, by speaking enough Spanish to get by, I don’t mean that you know enough to pound on the bar and scream “Senor, margarita por favor!” like I saw several other guests doing. If that’s the extent of your Spanish, the employees will probably appreciate your sticking to English.

Tipping – Tipping was not necessary, but I felt that it helped. It’s good to remember that the resort employees are people too and giving them a few dollars helps to show your appreciation for the excellent job they are doing in making sure that every single one of your needs and desires are met. Having worked in the service industry in the US, I believe that the majority of the resort employees were genuinely interested in making sure that you were happy. It is only courteous to tip them and look them in the eye when asking for something or thanking them for their help.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Royalton for a vacation. If you go, be sure to look for Carlos on the beach and visit Nelson at the Martini Bar! Thanks to both of them in particular and all of the Royalton staff for an excellent vacation!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
55  Thank James M
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear James M.,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Royalton Punta Cana, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Punta Cana.

Your honest opinion can be an invaluable reference for other customers who are thinking of staying with us, for this reason we really appreciate the time that you have taken for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your vacation here in our Hotel, your comment is very important to us to improve and better ourselves.

We hope to see you again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I would like to say a special thanks to Luis Ricardo Gonzalez Medina he went way out to be nice and he was great there was 13 of us and we will be back because of him and the crew.Everyday he would make a point to come to us and talk and get us excited about the dance lessons and aerobics he's just awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Kelli W
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Kelli W.,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana wants to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel is beautiful and the service was outstanding. Everyone accommodated to our needs. We truly felt welcomed. Our butler Luis was amazing along with our concierge Emmanuel. They booked reservations, escorted us to our rooms, helped us to the spa lounge....whatever we needed Luis and Emmanuel were our go to guys. I loved this hotel, I will definitely be back but with my kids. The kid portion of the hotel (Memories) has slides, pool and even a teen club. My kids would love it. One more thing, we went on the Safari excursion and it was AMAZING!! Worth every penny. I would also do that again. Domingo the excursion guy was very helpful when deciding which excursion to go on. He spoke very well English and had a sense of humor. Ruddy the actual tour guy was phenomenal. I learned the history of DR and went boogie boarding for the first time.

Room Tip: If it's an adult trip stay at Royalton but if your bringing kids stay at Memories
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank AdventuresofKimKay

Dear AdventuresofKimKay,

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location, staff and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort.

We hope to have you back soon enjoying Royalton Punta Cana.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The name of the hotel says it all! Me and my husband had never stayed in an all inclusive but it was beyond anything we could have asked for! We were greeted as we exited the shuttle bus and had Jose Luis as a butler! You must request him! He made sure all of our needs were met and even left us with a bottle of champagne as a honeymoon gift. Staff very friendly and always cleaning and not a single staff member walked passed us without a simple "hola!" Food at all restaurants was perfect, rooms very clean, and most comfortable bed EVER!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

Dear brittany m.,

It is a big pleasure to read not only your wonderful comments about our facilities, but also for your nice words that you have had about our team. Thank you so much for it and for sharing with another Tripadvisor's users.

Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. In the same way, we thank you for the feedback about the things that were not to your standards. We are working in order to improve it and we truly consider all your comments for the next decision on the future.

Thank you very much again for your good comments. Certainly, we expect to receive you again as soon as possible.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

First you should know about arriving/departing from punta Cana airport. When you arrive before you even get bags or clear customs, you will be required to pay $10 per person tourist tax. When leaving, allow at least 1-2 hours to check in, clear security and customs. The lines are long and slow (no air conditioning-if you go to punta Cana expect no air conditioning in public areas).
The resort itself is fairly new, very well maintained and expansive. If you are bringing small children the attached memories resort has more child friendly attractions. If you are physically unable to do a lot of stairs, request a ground floor room. There are NO elevators in the buildings. There is a lot of walking also. This is a good thing to remember when you are packing as well. You can get a bellman to help with bags (however if you arrive late, they aren't available).
The rooms are comfortable with fans and a/c. There are no washcloths so if you need one pack one. The mini bar in your room only has 2 cokes, 2 diet cokes, 2 sprite, and 2 presidente beers. Water bottles and coffee and mini bar supplies are restocked daily although not consistently. 3 towels appears to be the limit even though we had 4 people in the room. We had to call for hair dryer, coffee, and room service. Delivery time at minimum was 1 1/2 hours with the coffee being delivered after we went to bed at 1030.
Restaurants are ok. Only reservation needed at zen Japanese restaurant (at least a day in advance) although hunter steakhouse had 90 minute wait at 7 pm. They are the only air conditioned restaurants other than the buffet marche. The others are open air with no fans- still and steamy. Buffet food was plentiful but nothing special as was even a la carte food. Food portions at a la carte restaurants were small!! Think appetizer size and appetizers really were only for one person. Tapas had good paella but tapas were 1/4 Cup size. The house wine (free) was horrible. Kerosene would taste similar. If you like wine you will probably want to buy a bottle off the menu. Frozen drinks you need to specify you want with rum otherwise they are Virgin. Tip if well treated. However, I don't think we felt tips were routinely deserved. Staff and wait personnel were not friendly or attentive unless fishing for tips. Dress code for a la carte restaurants applies mainly to men. No tank tops or flip flops. nice shorts are required. Women can wear tanks and flip flops.
There is a shuttle to memories where there are more restaurants. We ate at cantina Mexicana which had horrible margaritas and service. Food came Before drinks because waiter wouldn't take drink order before dinner order.
Public covered areas have no fans or a/c and can be hot and sticky.
Beach chairs and cabanas are sufficient in quantity but prime seats are taken early. Drink service to beach was spotty. Beach is beautiful. Waves may be a bit rough for small children.
There is a small fitness center that is better equipped than most hotel fitness centers. It is busy early so go later.
There are some shops for clothing and usual tourist needs however underwear cost $8 or $17 and socks $25 for 2 pair! Pack well!
Unfortunately 2 of our family got montezumas revenge and we only ate/drank at the resort so I am not sure where the lack of sanitation occurred but it did.
Once you leave the resort it is fairly undeveloped and no attempts to accommodate any other language than Spanish. Don't rent a car. Driving requires a good knowledge of the area as road signs are scarce. Shuttles are numerous. Concierge can arrange transportation for you
Overall a nice resort just good to know what to expect

Stayed: August 2014
14  Thank Haswell4
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Haswell4,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings,