“Spring Break 2014 (March 09 to 16)”

Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 18, 2014

After reading so many bad and negative reviews my wife and I were very apprehensive about our trip to Memories Splash. In order to alleviate some of the problems we read about we upgraded to the Diamond Club and changed from Memories to the Royalton.
Right upon our arrival we were treated extremely well by an attentive staff. We have enjoyed our stay and have nothing but positive comments to formulate about the hotel its staff and the restaurants. We found that the Royalton is better located as it is just next to the ocean but with the free shuttle better both sites the Memories is also a very good hotel. Lastly I would like to acknowledge our butler Escarli and Manuel for their excellent service. Ramon and Jesus at the breakfast and lunch buffet and George and Adolfo at Zen. I will go back for sure next year.
JP in Ottawa.

Room Tip: 1425 was great and close to the beach and all amenities.
2  Thank Jean-Paul P
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Jean-Paul P.,

Firstly, the entire team of Royalton Punta Cana want to thank you for sharing your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really happy to read words as nice as yours. To know that our staff and service have exceeded your expectations encourages us to keep working day by day to maintain this proposal of high level that we want to achieve.

We will be glad to welcome you back again. We are at your disposal for anything you need.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were extremely concerned with some of the earlier poor reviews, but we had nothing to fear. We enjoyed a fabulous family vacation. The beach is beautiful, and the Diamond Club amenities were perfect. I highly recommend the upgrade. I can't say enough good things about the staff - happy and outgoing, greeting "Hola" at every turn, with broad smiles. Our room was kept clean, though the bathroom space was tight. We visited the Memories splash park with the kids one day. It was impressive, and well-maintained. The wave pool was a nice plus. Kids also enjoyed ocean tubing on Big Mable. On our final day, Vladimir from the Photo Shop took our family photos in the garden and down by the beach... So glad we did this. They turned out beautifully, and we'll have memories to last a lifetime.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Diamond Club, and ask for a swim up room.
1  Thank Krista S
MauricioZarate, General Manager at Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Krista S.,

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My only problem is I have no idea where to stay at March Break next year that will measure up to the week we just spent at Royalton Punta Cana.
Kids (and kids in their 40s) loved the water park, and went every day. Its a proper park with slides that would not be out of place at Canada's Wonderland and really well controlled by the staff there.
The room was perfect for us, with all amenities and food and drinks were perfect too. We didn't stay long enough to try every restaurant but tried Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, OPA, the Cava Tapas, and Italian as well as the buffet. We also had lunch at Memories which is so close its easier to walk than waiting for a shuttle.
Diamond Club beach was awesome with premium drink son tap, brought right to you, and snacks, cold towels etc all day long. Ocean was fun with breaking waves, but you had to keep an eye on the kids as some could be quite strong.
All staff, without exception, were great. My only regret is that I did not get to tip Raquel who made us blended juices at the Diamond Club beach bar each morning, it was her day off on our last day, so please be generous to her to make up for me!!

7  Thank TOtravelling

Dear TOtravelling,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on TripAdvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Royalton Punta Cana.

We appreciate to hear that we have been able to meet your expectations and that our location and facilities have contributed to a wonderful holiday in our hotel.

It is a great pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our resort. We hope to have you back soon enjoying Royalton Punta Cana.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a refreshing break. We stayed in building six which was close to the beach. The room was in great condition and the staff helped keep it really clean. The only complaint with the rooms would be that there is a mini bar with drinks but as young adults, we would have preferred more than two beers. Other than that, our room overlooked the private pool, had a nice tv, a great bathroom, and a safe to keep valuables in.

The best part of the hotel was the staff. Everywhere we went we were greeted with smiles and hellos. Special thanks to Jose, the bartender in the casino who was incredibly nice and welcoming and Luis the security guard for always having a smile on. Also thanks to Fabio at the pool bar and Carlito at the lobby bar for making the stay fantastic. I hope that if royaltons management is reading this, they take especially good care of those mentioned above.

I highly recommend this hotel, as it was an upgrade from any all inclusive I have stayed at before. This is a hotel for all age groups and I hope to be back soon!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Metrostars M

Dear Metrostars M.,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royalton Punta Cana not only for your wonderful comments that you have had about our team, but also for taking the time to share your positive experience with the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have been to several highly recognized all inclusive resorts and by far the Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino exceeded my expectations. The restaurant experience was varied and surpassed my expectations. The a la carte and buffet restaurants are a foodies dream I particularly enjoyed the Hunter Steak House, the steak was cooked to perfection!

The service was excellent all through the resort from the concierge, to the room service attendants, to the restaurant staff, pool staff etc...

The entertainment was very enjoyable they went above and beyond to engage the travellers definitely a crowd pleaser.

The pools and the beach were enjoyable well maintained and very clean.

This resort experience was a big hit with my wife and I and definitely an experience worth repeating. I will be coming back for repeated vacations and look forward to another thoroughly enjoyable vacation experience bringing friends and family with me.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Giggs2014

Dear Giggs2014,

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am still in awe! We booked our stay at the Royalton Punta Cana from March 1st-March8th. Reading early reviews on trip advisor had me weary about the trip. It is evident that management worked diligently to correct any concerns.
We upgraded to diamond club. Check in was a breeze, we were immediately greeted by Miguel and Clariys. They were dedicated to making our stay stress free and accommodated us for anything we needed.
Our room was beautiful. The beds were pure heaven to sleep on, the linens were soft with a high quality thread count. Drawer space is limited, though the closet had plenty of hangers for my clothes. Rooms were immaculate, maids were always visible in the hallways day and night and cleaning service was completed in a timely fashion.
Note: each building has three floors elevators are not available. Families with heavy strollers should consider a ground floor.
The restaurants not like a typical all inclusive. The resort featured enough restaurants to satisfy anyone's pallet. The quality of service & food surpassed my expectations. I highly recommend the Tapas, Zen, and Mediterranean.

I was truly impressed with the children's accommodations. Childcare is for children 4 and up. Also, private babysitters are available for 15 USD per child/hourly. We took advantage of babysitting one evening, Ingrid was wonderful. Throughout the week our son enjoyed spending time at the Kids Club, Bella, Jesus and the staff created an engaging environment for all of the children. Everytime I was ready to pick up my son he begged me to let him stay. The water park was a top feature for kids, you almost forget you're at an all inclusive resort. It was well staffed with lifeguards at every corner of the pools and slides. Water shoes are a must, the floor can be very slippery when wet.

I am impressed with management's dedication to customer service. Surprisingly, we saw the managers walking through the resort daily. One evening, the management team hosted a meet and greet reception for the guest. Jonathan, Mauricio, and Francisco were a few managers that we met. We shared with Jonathan our son's birthday was the following day. He arranged for our room to be decorated with balloons and the staff along with a 10 piece band sang happy birthday during lunch . It was a great experience for our son!

Overall, this trip was the our best family vacation. Having traveled to many five star hotels, We have high expectations. The Royalton's level of service, meet all of our needs! I can't wait to return.

9  Thank Jessica G

Dear Jessica G.,

We would like to thank you personally for sharing on Tripadvisor your kind feedback about your stay at Royalton Punta Cana.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just returned from the Royalton two days ago after spending an amazing week there. I read the reviews daily before we left and was very concerned as many had mentioned, but the resort is the best we have been to and we typically travel once a year (Secrets Capri, Couples San Souci, Sandals in Jamaica, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, etc.) We traveled as a group of 13 family members including five children aged 2, 4, 5, 8, and 10.

Resort:
Has everything you could want and is very clean. The staff are super friendly and go out of their way to treat you like gold. We do tip for good service and found this went a long way. Not all of our family tipped and they received the same treatment. The tiles around the resort are VERY slippery as many have mentioned. I found myself having to constantly hold my daughter's hand so she didn't fall. Even when walking carefully, they are slippery.

Check-in:
It was extremely slow. We arrived at 2:00 and although all four rooms were ready, we had to wait a good hour to get everything sorted out. They need many more staff here when a bus load of people arrive to check-in.

Rooms:
We just had a luxury room. Beautifully decorated. We had a king sized bed which was super comfy as well as a pull out couch for our two girls to sleep on. The room could use more storage (it only has three small drawers) and there is no bathtubs if you are traveling with small children (we knew this ahead of time). Out of the 4 rooms we had, only one had the smell of sewage. Thankfully my in-laws were able to get another room.

Waterpark:
AMAZING! So much fun! Again very slippery so walk carefully. You need to be 48 inches to ride the big water slides. My 8 and 10 year old niece were okay, but not our 4 and 5 year old. They have a great toddler area as well as a wave pool, so they still had great time! The security and safety was absolutely amazing! Very strict rules they adhere to and have many lifeguards in every area. I injured my toes on one of the rides (my own fault) and they had a person giving me medical attention immediately! The next day when we went back two of the lifeguards were asking me how my toes were. Such great staff!!! The trolly runs every four minutes and got you there quickly, but it was less than a 5 minute walk.

Beach:
Absolutely beautiful! Gorgeous turquoise water, great stretch of beach, and kept very clean. They have the beach separated into three areas. Diamond club, Royalton, and Memories. We did find that the Memories people were more of a party crowd and did not use the designated area assigned to them. It seemed like the staff wasn't paying much attention to that which was too bad. This was likely our biggest complaint. They really need to figure out how to better allow the Memories people to stay in their own area. We do pay significantly more.

Food:
We always ate as a group of 13 every night for dinner. We had young kids with us so we ate at 6:00 each night and they always had no problem making a table for all of us to sit together! The kids menu is the same in every restaurant, but you can always order off of the menu for them.

Gourmet Marche
We ate here every morning for breakfast. Had everything you could want for breakfast. I usually had the made-to-order omelette which was very good, and my kids loved the cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and pancakes. Same things each day, but again, lots of choice.

Mexicana Cantina
Located on the Memories side. Loved this restaurant! Served everyone either a lime or strawberry margarita before being seated. Food was very good!

Under the Sea
Again, located on the Memories sides. Probably the best service we had at an a la carte. Delicious meal with lobster and beef tenderloin. I had the seafood linguine which was yummy! They have a few tv's in the restaurant with fish swimming on them.

Zen
We went here twice! Once for the cooking show and then on our last night for sushi. This is the only restaurant that needs reservations that you can book from 8:30-11:30 each morning. Both our meals were fantastic! We were the only ones sitting at the sushi bar so we had wonderful service. The sushi was amazing!

Hunter's Steak House
We ate here twice as well. Excellent beef tenderloin as well as everything else they made. The first time we ate here they weren't able to seat us all together, but the second time they were.

Grazie Trattoria
Located right beside the beach. We ate here almost every day for lunch and also had dinner here on our last night. My husband and I filled up on sushi before eating here, so I can't give an honest review of the a la carte. But they had a good selection for lunch. My family said the hamburgers were delicious!

OPA Mediterranean
We ate here twice. Once for dinner and another time for an a la carte lunch. It was sort of family style at lunch. Chicken, lobster, oysters, and shrimp with lots of sides. It was very good, but soaked in butter and one day was enough for us. The dinner was good, but service was very slow. We did eat our lunch after our dinner here and the service was much better!

Cafe
We visited this place more than once a day. I'm not a coffee drinker, but the rest of my family enjoyed the cappuccinos, lattes and coffee. The kids loved the soft serve ice cream. There was only a choice of chocolate, vanilla, or mixed. They also had pastries and yummy little sandwiches that we ate daily as an afternoon snack.

Overall a WONDERFUL vacation and we would definitely come back!!!

15  Thank 77,710