“Absolutely outstanding - I am already planning a return trip with family!”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #61 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chorley, England
“Absolutely outstanding - I am already planning a return trip with family!”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This was my fifth visit to the Dominican Republic and my third to Bavaro, Punta Cana. I was so impressed that I am already looking to rebook for November. The only criticisms I could mention is that because there are so many receptions within the resort (Bavaro and Punta Cana being no different from one another and next door) the cannot manage to communicate properly with one another causing a bit of aggravation on my part. They like to keep themselves as a seperate entity despite being a while resort. Also there is a German craze here with regards to sunbeds around the pool. If you don't lay your towels round the pool before 7.45 you are very unlikely to secure one. This hotel unfortunately has the worst section of the beach too - because it is such a large hotel it is so crowded compared to other resorts and its on a slight hill.

However, done with the bar now onto the good.

The Room
This was significantly larger than other resorts. Our maid was so lovely and she cleaned it so that it was immaculate everyday refilling our mini fridge with lovely cold beverages. The bathroom was gorgeous and all in all the room was very cool and peaceful. The air con worked a treat too and had a good temperature gauge so you can change as you please. Although every time you opened the balcony door the air con automatically got switched off. The bath was huge and had lovely jacuzzi jets too. The lighting in the bedroom itself was kind of dim but the bathroom was bright enough to do makeup in.

The Food
This was amazing. Breakfast selection was out of this world. I loved the pasta station for lunch although there was a great selection. Fresh fruit and salad at every meal too. yum. At other resorts in the past you normally look after yourself in the buffet but at Gran Bahia they seat you and constantly attend to you with water and beverages and your morning coffee. They cannot do enough for you. I even preferred the buffet to the restaurants, they had a different theme every evening ie. dominican night, italian night, american ngiht. We visted the Japanese twice, the food was delicious and the chef lovely though not as entertaining as previous resorts. The Mexican was nice as was the steak house. The Mediterranean was out of this world though.Although I would not recommend the seafood restaurant, we walked out of that one as the food was extremely salty - the service bad and it was just a poor effort in general - just an off night I suppose. you can only have 3 reservations per week you stay and it may not seem enough but if you spread it out over the course of the weeks it is. Good luck trying to get a reservation before 8pm though. Being English we were already 5 hours ahead of dominican time so 8pm to us was like 1am back home.. which is hard on day 2 and you have a 9.30pm reservation! The one thing i didn't like was in the 'canadian section' they had shepherds pie (an english dish) and trifle (also a traditional english dish!)

The Service
The service was fabulous - the staff could not be more attentive or friendly. If you were at with your water in the restaurant you only had to take a sip of your drink and someone would be there to top it up instantly. If you had a beer they would automatically bring you another without you having to ask. There were even waitresses round the pool offering you poolside service while you sunbathed. The bar staff really do work hard for their tips - in fact all the staff do. There wasn't one member of staff who didn't have a smile for you and a ready 'hello' or 'how is your day?' Something which really makes this hotel stand out next to others i've been to.

The Facilitates
All bathrooms throughout the hotel were at an impressive standard and the entire hotel was kept super clean. Staff were constantly cleaning or pruning the outside. The trips the offer are great - there is a fabulous variety and you wont find it difficult to find someone to sell you one. I recommend scuba diving here - my friend went and he loved it - it was his first time and he got to scuba through the shipwreck! a fabulous first experience. We heard good reports from the Ziplining and the Buggys trip. I myself have been to manati park and on the marinarium trip before and would recommend them. The pool was stunning, Never have i been on holiday to the caribbean and spent so much time round the pool. The entire resort was kept at such a high standard, they even had cute little bus stops to sit in although you never had time to sit in them because a bus was there every 2 mins should you choose to take it. There are 3 bus lines depending on which side of the resort you are staying at and all day and night buses frequently pass up the road to save you a walk (which is nice in the heat of the day) but the walk itself itsnt too long. 10 minutes if them and its nice to take a stroll too - they have also kept a little bit of an eco preservation in the middle of the resort for the animals to live in their natural habitat and you can take a look over the bridge on your walk and see if you can spot any of the animals shown on the information board.

Shopping
On this site there are lots of shops and a dominican market every day near the second theatre. There is also another dominican market that visits every friday in front of the punta cana and bavaro buffets just outside. The shops are particularly cheap for things such as suntan lotions etc. But you can all sorts ranging from gifts to clothing and inflatables, snack and medications and toiletries.

Theatre
I personally was quite tired not getting wuite accustomed to the 5 hours time difference and the heat from the day generally sent me to sleep quite early in the first week. We had a lot of posative responses from the shows though and from what we saw they were great evening entertainment with shows such as 'michael jackson' '80's night' and 'the lion king' there are 2 theaters, the one by the shops at the front of the lobby has the earlier showings for the kids shows and the large under-shelter ampi-theatre near the buffets provided the later evening entertainment which went on until 11.45pm the nightclub opened at midnight but i was never awake long enough to visit but it looked nice enough from the outside. There was also a karaoke and sports bar in the shopping area too for a bit of variety!

yes we had to pay almost 60$ to use the safe for 2 weeks but its worth it and you can program it with your own security code. There is free wireless in the lobby if you choose to take your laptops or ipod touches etc if you need to keep in touch with home - if not then there is a wireless internet cafe. Nothing was stolen from the rooms and we didn't suffer bedbugs like i have seen from another review which made me worry. Just the occasional midge bite which can't be helped.

This hotel is ultimately amazing and I have recommended it to everyone I know and I cannot wait to go back in November if I can afford to - its worth paying the extra bit of money for quality such as this.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank tazwryte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We are a family of 7, including 4 teenagers. We read a lot of good and bad reviews before we left on our vacation. We were uneasy about our stay at this resort but we went with an open mind. After our return we feel we need to inform people what a great week we had.
When we arrived, later then expected, we were pleasantly surprized how quickly we were checked in and taken to our rooms. The rooms were clean, the beds were large, and everything you need was at your finger tip. We upgraaded to the Diamond section, which seemed to make a difference in our stay.
We arrived after dark so the next morning was our first real view of the resort. WOW! Everything was spectacular. The pool, right outside our door, the beach, the grounds, I can't list everything but you get the picture.
We had 4 dinner reservations at various different ala carte restaurants and 3 of them were excellent. The Pecador was good but not great. The section we were in had a restaurant that was ok but the main buffet was better when you don't have a reservation at one of the ala carte restaurants.
Our maid and all our servers were always smiling and helpful. English wasn't very good but they always did as much as possible to make us happy. We tipped our maid, servers, and bellboy and were happy to do it as they seem to really appreciate it.
The Carribean Festival at Stingray Bay and the Buggy Excursion day trips were both excellent.
We ate a lot and drank a lot and all of us got sun burnt, but we had an unforgettable time.

calgary
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Just arrived home from a wonderful trip with extended family to celebrate a wedding.

Over the years I have been to a number of all-inlusive resorts and some share the same characterisitics, some dont. However, the fact is, by and large, all inclusives, by their very nature, are all big and they are all busy. However, its more about how they are managed, and who works there. That's what makes the difference.

I am picky about all inclusives, but it's important to keep it all in perspective.

if you want a quiet, intimate vacation where you feel like hiding away fr a few days of peace and quiet...dont do an all inclusive. If you want to go have a low-maintenance, turn-key, dont have to do a thing, show-up-and-leave holiday...go to an all inclusive.

We wanted the latter this time. This resort is remarkably well managed for it's size. It is busy but did not feel overly so. It has an up-market feel and is spotless. Everywhere, all the time. The staff and management are the key here, they are very helpful and easy to have a laugh with. Everybody works very hard. This was perhaps the friendliest staff I have come accross.

Ironicall, any problems I noticed, with one or two exceptions, originated with esteemed guests.

As usual, the buffet had that cattle-stampede, end-of-the-world feel to it where it was just safer to stand back from the frenzy. In fact, one night as I stood sipping my drink, empty plate in hand and surveying the carnage, my eleven year old daughter sauntered up and said "Daddy...it looks like 2012" (meaning the end of the world movie we had recently watched). We mostly went to the seated restaurants. The service was truly remarkable and the servers were real professionals and seemed to genuinely enjoy chatting having some fun with their guests. Unusual for such a big resort.

At the buffet's or the seated reataurants the food was actually pretty good and in some cases, exceptional

I also watched guests utilizing the 'volume' approach to communicating with the staff. This is different from speaking slowly and clearly and entails raising ones voice to the point of screaming to help the Spanish or French speaking staffer understand. I noticed very quickly that the Dominicans and Haitians were all a little traumatized by this style.

I am in awe that this happens to the staff week in and week out yet they still always had a genuine smile for us.

The beach was very nice, clean feel, albeit dont expect a desert Isle. Though, you can walk forever. The water was clear and on one day, the surf was awesome. People emerging battered from the waves sans bathing suits. Decent snorkeling is a twenty minute boat ride and one rum away. We never had any problem finding loungers and I often saw empty space throughout the day.

We were pleased with the rooms; high ceilings nicely decorated good washrooms and a general feeling of space, even with three of us plus an infant in the room. And they really clean the rooms. If you want more beer in your fridge leave a dollar every day inside. It works.

I heard some rooms were not functioning well but it was always addressed quickly.

The only unfortunate incident, and it had nothing to do with the hotel, directly, was when the bride and groom attempted to pick up their photos prior to check out. It seems the credit card company froze his card when they saw purchases off shore. The bride and groom dialed up the credit card company on the phone and the credit card company told the photographer the card was good to go; the photographer still would not let them pay for the photos via credit card. I hate to think the photographer saw an opportunity for cash. So, after almost two hours, enough cash was raised and they barely made the bus to the airport.

It was a very disappointing conclusion of a great experience for the bride and groom as it may have been the nicest ceremony I have ever seen. However, based on how this hotel is managed I am sure it will all be straightened out.

So, if you are looking for a low maintenance, just show up and enjoy kind of break in a clean, friendly all inclusive environment on a great beach; this is the place.

• Stayed April 2010
Pembs, Wales
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We arrived at the hotel on the 7th April for 2 weeks and ended up staying for 19 days due to the volcano issue. It was just as well I had done my research thanks to Tripadvisor and the people who kindly offered their tips and advice so I thought i should do the same.
The resort is large containing several hotels within the complex. We were placed in Villa block 71 which contained 18 rooms. I had booked 2 room, 1 for my wife and I and the other for my kids aged 19, 16 & 11. The rooms were a good size each with a separate bathroom which had a jacuzzi and overhead shower and a balcony. Our room had the largest bed I had ever seen and the kids room had 2 king-size beds which were ideal. The rooms were adjacent to one another and had inter-connecting doors which was handy. the location of the villa was ideal right next to the 'up market' Ambar hotel which was reasonably close to the beach and the lobby all walkable (less than 10 minutes to each) or you could wait a few minutes for a trolley bus.
The beach was narrow and filled with loungers. The water was quite rough and steep at the shoreline so not ideal for little ones. We did not spend too much time on the beach but mainly in the pool area which consisted of 3 pools plus a small childrens pool. Generally the 1st pool was mainly family with smaller children, then there was the middle pool which tended to be a bit quieter and the 3rd pool with the swim up bar which tended to be the party pool. both outer pool became very noisy at 3pm as the 'Animation' team switched their amps and did there thing some entertaining and some plainly annoying but providing you've got an ipod then you'll be able to listen to your own thing!
The lobby area is large and this is were people generally meet up in the evening. The bar to one side can be extremely busy at some times and the service can be hit and miss whether you tip or not. The buffet restaurant is also situated here just off to one side of the lobby. We were all impressed with variety of food and there were few occasions were we were stuck for choice. We did eat at the al a carte restaurants, the Japanese was the most entertaining and the staff most attentive, the others were a nice change from the buffet restaurant and a little less crowded. It does state that long trousers are necessary to go a la carte but this was not the case shorts, we found, were acceptable.
We went on 2 trips the Caribbean Festival and the Dolphin Explorer which we all enjoyed.
It has been a great holiday being able to spend time as a family again away from all the day to day stuff. Ah well back to the grindstone and to the next time!
P.s. thanks to First Choice for looking after us when we found we could not get back on time due to the volcano issue. It was a bit unsettling being updated on a 24hr basis not knowing when we were going to fly home but they did their best letting us keep our rooms and there were no extra charges - just as well it was all-inclusive!!

1 Thank Wockys
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We just got back from our vacation.We never stayed at an all inclusive hotel and from now on we won't again. We were very disappointed in the drinks.There is absolutely no alcohol in them.Very watered down.This place is just like a cruise ship on land.That is the only downfall that we encountered.Our rooms were fine and our maid very nice.Everyone was so friendly.We stayed at the diamond section and had our own pool section.We did have the best bartender(Jose).The food is okay.You have alot of options and you are always walking around with that full feeling.I wish more people would tip the people here.They are always happy and work efficiently.I found a couple of dogs on the beach towards the crooked tree.Please bring them food and water.A liitle goes a long way.Leave it near a big bush near that tree.We named them fric and frac.They are super sweet just scared.They are so skinny.The other way towards the vendors are about 6 more.That was my mission on this vacation.In the morning and afternoon I would walk the beach and bring them food and water.Let me tell you I never walked so much in my life just to bring them a liitle comfort in their day I could afford a little discomfort in mine.if your a dog lover you will understand.Say hello to fric and frac for me.I will never forget them.

1 Thank scoobydoo15_10
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I have never before written a review but we just got back from this resort after waiting to finally go on vacation …..and what a disappointment. Huge disappointment. We were this resort in April 2010. We always go all inclusive apple vacation but for a very first time we were glad heading home. When we arrived and started unpacking, suddenly some other family walked in to our room. Oooops… mistake, pack and go to different room. Well to make a very bad story short – air conditioning in room did not work, for safe we had to pay(wonder why?)Refrigerator warmer then oven, no ice in the villas either, lights are so dark that when I got an eyelash in my eye we had to use our tiny flashlight. Lounges on the beach so cramped that you can get bunch of burses just walking to the ocean. Food average and service impatient. The only thing we really had no complaints is the weather and nightly entertainment.
Do not go there, there are definitely BETTER places.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lesiaki
Cape Breton
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed at the Gran Bahia from April 18 to April 25th,we were apart of a group of 33 people for my sisters wedding,over all everyone had a great time,My family of 4 - 2 adults 2 kids age 8 and 22 months.This was my 3rd time to DR,first for kids and Hubby
Check in was done on the bus and they even had a few of our rooms ready which were given to those with kids first,which was very helpful after travelling through the night and arrived a 10;30 am,I was prepare for having to wait until 3 but never had to!!!!which made it a lot easier for us.
Beach-- Beautiful as always,very busy,Towel game in full swing,I usually don't care about finding shade but this time it was important since we had a baby and wanted to enjoy the beach for the whole day,so Hubby went down early to reserve a place for us.wish this wasn't needed, but you have to play along or we wouldn't have a comfortable place for the kids
Lots of activities going on with the animation team,looked fun but we didn't do it too busy with kids.Borrowed buggie boards etc.Staff at aqua centre was friendly and quick.we booked a trip on speed boat with snorkeling about 2 1/2 hrs long for $100.00 for 2 people it was a blast,you drive your own boat,they go a few times a day so it was easy to book also my sister and Dad went Parasailing from there,they had a great time.
Food-- We ate at the buffet for most meals,the food was better then I thought it would be,both kids enjoyed it also,both usually picky but there was so much you could find something,tried a couple of ala carts they were good to, but the buffet was easier then trying to keep reservations with played out kids,no need to worry about this food causing tummy troubles.I've read on the TA about why it is so hard to get resevations and when you get there the place it empty,I think some of the reason is because as apart of a wedding group they pre book reservations for 33 people to be at an al-a-cart on 4 different evenings and usually only 10 to 15 would be able to there, that would leave alot of empty spots considering how meny weddings happen there per day,maybe something could be done about that to leave the spots for people who really want them,anyway everytime we ate we had good service and enjoyed the food with few things we tried and didn't like but we would just try again.
Rooms--We stayed in Diamond section Villa 34 room 309,we had a nice view of poolbar etc. and central to most of the resort for getting around.Lucia was our maid she was really nice and did a great job,we tipped well since I think my kids dragged most of the beach up with them,Sunscreen and that fine sand left them like shake and bake chicken.Rooms have everything you need,Very clean,Shower worked well,shampoo, soap,hair dryer,large closet (bring a few more hangers to keep clothes from wrinkling) Iron and board.alarm clock,fridge filled everyday with beer, water and pop,coffee maker and supplies,Sofa,table and chairs,clean towels,plugs that are able to fit Canadian plugs.TV with a few english channels,we were happy also had ajoining room to my parents room 34309,very helpful for them and us with the kids.
Wedding-- Eveything they promised happened,to bad it rained for 1 hr all week just before the wedding time so they moved us inside,but they made it still happen on time and was still beautifully decorated and keep us informed and the bride happy,flowers perfect and delivered just before the time and wedding party was picked up on time,reception was at the Garden grill,the bride did not pay extra for the place to be closed except just for us but they had a large room off to the side closed off for us,so really not necessary ,still private area,food was great and the service was exceptional.Thanks to Glenny and staff.
The evening shows that we saw were great,The Michael Jackson show,and Circus. The kids really loved the Disney princess show and Lion king show,really good stuff.
The stores at the resort really have everything you could need,some stuff really expensive some not too bad,Things I remember.Milk one litre and it is pasturized for $2.00,chocolate bar $2.00 to $4.00 for different kinds,Large bag of chips for $7.00,sunscreen $ 25.00 for small bottle or spray on,swim diapers 10pack for$10.00,also had lots of baby supplies,sippy cups,bottles/liners,toys,creams,powders,,etc...Also had lots of blow up water loungers for $10.00 to $ 25.00 and other blow up kid toys all pretty reasonably priced
To sum it up We all had a really good time,no sickness caused from resort food etc.staff was good and and rooms clean,beach was great,the size for me was it's only downfall,Too much wasted time getting from A to B expecially with kids,If I was choosing the resort I'd pick a smaller one,but still a great place.
The following has nothing to do with this resort but I just wanted everyone to know that if something like this happens to you it will be alright !! they do have well trained Doctors and medications available
Our 1 year old got very ill on the last 2 days there with bronchitis, on the last night there, we had to take her to the medical clinic on site and the Dr there was great with her,she gave her strong medication to control her fever that Tylonal was not controlling and had an ambulance transfer us to the Bravero Hospital,and was seen by a Dr there,they all spoke english which was very helpful,they took very good care of us,the hospital was clean and had all equipment that our small community hospitals have here at home,they wanted to admit her but since were leaving at 6am they gave us meds for her to controll it until we got home,We were nervous leaving the resort with a sick baby not knowing where exactally we were going but it was fine and she was well taken care of,we were very thankfull for everything from our Sunquest Rep Emma to all the Doctors and staff for helping us,and our baby is doing well.We had medical Insurance with RBC,they paid for everything direct so we did not have to pay first,The Resort Dr and Hospital staff took care of all the paper work all we had to do was call from Dr office,best $68.00 dollars I have ever spent

2 Thank caperontheloose
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!