This was my fifth visit to the Dominican Republic and my third to Bavaro, Punta Cana. I was so impressed that I am already looking to rebook for November. The only criticisms I could mention is that because there are so many receptions within the resort (Bavaro and Punta Cana being no different from one another and next door) the cannot manage to communicate properly with one another causing a bit of aggravation on my part. They like to keep themselves as a seperate entity despite being a while resort. Also there is a German craze here with regards to sunbeds around the pool. If you don't lay your towels round the pool before 7.45 you are very unlikely to secure one. This hotel unfortunately has the worst section of the beach too - because it is such a large hotel it is so crowded compared to other resorts and its on a slight hill.
However, done with the bar now onto the good.
This was significantly larger than other resorts. Our maid was so lovely and she cleaned it so that it was immaculate everyday refilling our mini fridge with lovely cold beverages. The bathroom was gorgeous and all in all the room was very cool and peaceful. The air con worked a treat too and had a good temperature gauge so you can change as you please. Although every time you opened the balcony door the air con automatically got switched off. The bath was huge and had lovely jacuzzi jets too. The lighting in the bedroom itself was kind of dim but the bathroom was bright enough to do makeup in.
This was amazing. Breakfast selection was out of this world. I loved the pasta station for lunch although there was a great selection. Fresh fruit and salad at every meal too. yum. At other resorts in the past you normally look after yourself in the buffet but at Gran Bahia they seat you and constantly attend to you with water and beverages and your morning coffee. They cannot do enough for you. I even preferred the buffet to the restaurants, they had a different theme every evening ie. dominican night, italian night, american ngiht. We visted the Japanese twice, the food was delicious and the chef lovely though not as entertaining as previous resorts. The Mexican was nice as was the steak house. The Mediterranean was out of this world though.Although I would not recommend the seafood restaurant, we walked out of that one as the food was extremely salty - the service bad and it was just a poor effort in general - just an off night I suppose. you can only have 3 reservations per week you stay and it may not seem enough but if you spread it out over the course of the weeks it is. Good luck trying to get a reservation before 8pm though. Being English we were already 5 hours ahead of dominican time so 8pm to us was like 1am back home.. which is hard on day 2 and you have a 9.30pm reservation! The one thing i didn't like was in the 'canadian section' they had shepherds pie (an english dish) and trifle (also a traditional english dish!)
The service was fabulous - the staff could not be more attentive or friendly. If you were at with your water in the restaurant you only had to take a sip of your drink and someone would be there to top it up instantly. If you had a beer they would automatically bring you another without you having to ask. There were even waitresses round the pool offering you poolside service while you sunbathed. The bar staff really do work hard for their tips - in fact all the staff do. There wasn't one member of staff who didn't have a smile for you and a ready 'hello' or 'how is your day?' Something which really makes this hotel stand out next to others i've been to.
All bathrooms throughout the hotel were at an impressive standard and the entire hotel was kept super clean. Staff were constantly cleaning or pruning the outside. The trips the offer are great - there is a fabulous variety and you wont find it difficult to find someone to sell you one. I recommend scuba diving here - my friend went and he loved it - it was his first time and he got to scuba through the shipwreck! a fabulous first experience. We heard good reports from the Ziplining and the Buggys trip. I myself have been to manati park and on the marinarium trip before and would recommend them. The pool was stunning, Never have i been on holiday to the caribbean and spent so much time round the pool. The entire resort was kept at such a high standard, they even had cute little bus stops to sit in although you never had time to sit in them because a bus was there every 2 mins should you choose to take it. There are 3 bus lines depending on which side of the resort you are staying at and all day and night buses frequently pass up the road to save you a walk (which is nice in the heat of the day) but the walk itself itsnt too long. 10 minutes if them and its nice to take a stroll too - they have also kept a little bit of an eco preservation in the middle of the resort for the animals to live in their natural habitat and you can take a look over the bridge on your walk and see if you can spot any of the animals shown on the information board.
On this site there are lots of shops and a dominican market every day near the second theatre. There is also another dominican market that visits every friday in front of the punta cana and bavaro buffets just outside. The shops are particularly cheap for things such as suntan lotions etc. But you can all sorts ranging from gifts to clothing and inflatables, snack and medications and toiletries.
I personally was quite tired not getting wuite accustomed to the 5 hours time difference and the heat from the day generally sent me to sleep quite early in the first week. We had a lot of posative responses from the shows though and from what we saw they were great evening entertainment with shows such as 'michael jackson' '80's night' and 'the lion king' there are 2 theaters, the one by the shops at the front of the lobby has the earlier showings for the kids shows and the large under-shelter ampi-theatre near the buffets provided the later evening entertainment which went on until 11.45pm the nightclub opened at midnight but i was never awake long enough to visit but it looked nice enough from the outside. There was also a karaoke and sports bar in the shopping area too for a bit of variety!
yes we had to pay almost 60$ to use the safe for 2 weeks but its worth it and you can program it with your own security code. There is free wireless in the lobby if you choose to take your laptops or ipod touches etc if you need to keep in touch with home - if not then there is a wireless internet cafe. Nothing was stolen from the rooms and we didn't suffer bedbugs like i have seen from another review which made me worry. Just the occasional midge bite which can't be helped.
This hotel is ultimately amazing and I have recommended it to everyone I know and I cannot wait to go back in November if I can afford to - its worth paying the extra bit of money for quality such as this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic