“Save for one employee it was fantastic”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Saskatoon, Canada
“Save for one employee it was fantastic”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed at the Bahia Principe Bavaro from April 4-11, weather was great as was the cervesa. Nothing to complain about particularly except for the staff was not what I have come to expect from other Dominican vacations I have had in the past. Not that the service wasn't satisfactory, it certainly was, only that they weren't as "exceptional" as I have had on other stays. Our maid continually forgot to leave face cloths and the rooms did not seem to be cleaned at the same time each day, which does not sound like a huge deal but when you are trying to develop a holiday routine it does create a small problem. Also, the beds were not the most comfortable I have stayed in, my back was tight a few mornings. Very firm and unforgiving. The only person I would definitely give a thumbs down for service and overall personality was Lydia at the pool bar. I realize everyone can have a bad day and being bright and cheery isn't possible all the time, but being miserable and grumpy 7 days in a row is not what I appreciate as a guest. On the flip side, a young lady (Emiluze) who served in the lobby bar was exceptional, very friendly, helpful and cheery with a great sense of humor. This one person could make up for two persons negatives. The food was very good, much better than what I remembered Dominican restaurants and buffets to be. We took in two a la cartes, the Garden Grill and the Maiko. Garden Grill is a steak restaurant catering to a very western/cowboy feel, elegant decor but great classic country music and food was superb. Steaks were done better than I have had in the Dominican on any other trip. Maiko is a Japanese restaurant, chefs prepare food in front of 12 people. Chefs are entertaining and food is great. The common restaurant/buffet was satisfactory, always something that could be found to satisfy your appetite. The grounds are HUGE, just as they are at the Grand Bahia in the Mayan. There are shuttles to take you around however speed bumps keep you from getting anywhere much faster than walking. Beach bar/restaurant serves an excellent lunch so you don't have to go back to the lobby to eat.
Apart from that the only other thing I can say about the resort is that I found the beaches to be among the most beautiful I have ever seen, truly magnificent.

Away from the resort we went out for a meal to Captain Cooks seafood restaurant. It is in town and located right on the beach with beautiful open air views. You walk in and find a large selection of freshly (that day) caught seafood for you to pick from. You are able to select what you want and how much you want and pay by the weight. Meal was great and worth the trip.

The hotel is located only a short drive from the airport, less than half an hour including stops, so there was no need to obtain private transportation to shorten a long journey.

All in all it was a great trip and were it not for all the other hot holiday places to try I would definitely return here soon.

Room Tip: Try to stay centrally located, anything on either end and you have a looong walk to the other.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank happyfisherman_42
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for acknowledging Emiluze, who provide you an exceptional service. She will appreciate your nice comments.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and continue providing you amazing vacations.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,210)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I spent 4 days in Bahia Principe Punta Cana, good room, friendly staff, my recommendation is to make the restaurant reservations as soon as you arrive.
Huge hotel with a lot of stuff to do. Food was really good, specially on the "A La Carte" Restaurants. It is crowded on the pool/beach areas but is not hard to find a chair.
The room has a minibar and a jacuzzi, the bed was OK, the mattress a little rough, AC works perfect. TV 100+ channels, a lot of US and LATAM Channels, ABC, ESPN, FOX, Movies, Kids channels etc.

Room Tip: Rooms near the lobby are better because is where you will go more frequently (daily buffet and night...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chrystian V
Dear Chrystian,

We are very pleased to read that your stay was excellent thanks to our delicious food at the a la carte restaurants and the facilities we provide to our clients.

We look forward to having you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Grand Bahia Bavaro, building 35 the week of March 30-April 6th with my hubby. Everything was truly perfect. The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to greet you and make sure you had whatever you needed. Check in went smoothly and front desk was always a pleasure to deal with if we had any questions.
Made use of the gym, staff there was very nice. The grounds were immaculate and stunning. Cleanliness was clearly top priority.
Enjoyed the buffet - shout out to omelette chef Danilo and the dining staff always attentive.
Shows - highlight of the days - so much fun!
The beach - world class, beautiful and always staff there to clean up any discarded cups and sweep the sand of the loungers. The bartenders especially the ones on the beach were awesome and always quick.
Overall, so very impressed, I can truly say I plan of returning, only next time with all of our family as it truly is amazing!
Thank you for making our vacation such a dream vacation!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hpaterso
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your awesome experience in Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We are proud to hear that you consider this is an amazing Resort and everything was perfect for you.

For all of us it will be an honor to welcome you once again and be able to thank you personally for your positive comments.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

new york
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I really can't complain too much, but on the other hand, i really can't rave about it either. First this is a huge complex of actually 8 hotels. Some higher end than others and some areas are sort of restricted. I was in one of the lower end of the 8 so while the beach is common and some of the pools could be, there is definately difference experiences all at the same location.

Overall, a very big property. Golf cars drive folks around. The buffet was ok, not impressive but fine. It was hard to get reservations at the specialty restaurants and the two i was at weren't that impressive either. The japanese was essentially Chinese food and when i asked for extra teriyaki sauce they told me there's wasn't any such thing. I settled for soy. Also, when service is over, it's over. Breakfast ends at 10:30a, not 10:31. I got the last of the free drinks at 11:30p. I mean they hit the mark and STOP. Pay attention at the $5 blackjack table, the dealers can't always add. Some nice shops on property. Also the guest services folks were pretty useless and not very helpful and seemed to only be able to make reservations, which again, wasn't easy. The scuba test out dive was in the pool. the snorkling consisted of finding the dive shack and getting a mask. There is nothing really to see at their beach. Every morning I was there by 9a every lounge chair by the pool near me was already claimed. Same with the good chairs at the beach.

Ok some good stuff. There were bars everywhere and no waiting for drinks. They would make you anything and if you asked for more rum they put a floater in. Funny I ordered a drink of their drinks menu and had three, the next night i ordered the same drink and it came three different ways. Everyday at the buffet there was something good. They did a make your own pasta, they had a carving station, they tried with the desserts and you had time. Breakfast you could always get eggs your way and a big buffet. Down by the beach you coudl pretty much get the same stuff most of the day. So no shortage of food or drink, just don't expect high quality in either.

Nice beach, the room was fine. Nothing special but hey, I don't wanna spend much time there anyway. I called one night for a plunger, it never arrived. However three nights later when I called for a leaky A/C unit the guy was there in minutes.

I did one excursion through my Tour Operator, Island Sun that was a snorkle, boat trip, swim wiht the sharks thing. It was a bit "touristy" but fine and they didn't spare on the rum and cokes and the boat staff was fun. The snorkling, eh, fair. But I went diving off property later so I wasn't expecting much.

The staff was friendly for the most part although not much English from the staff.

Overall, I got a great price and for 5 days on the beach, it was fine. Like I said, I can't rave about the place, but it worked. Next time, I am upgrading the property and my vacation.

Room Tip: I was in building 71. sort of off to the side but in the Middle. it's a big place and you probab...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank captaindavebklyn
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Our main goal strives in having a great ambiance to satisfy our guests' requirements; we regret very much that we were not able to complete your entire satisfaction and expectations this time.

We sincerely hope you will consider giving us a chance to welcome you once again at our Resort.

Kindest regards,

Massena, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights and 6 days here at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro April 14th-19th 2014.What a great place,The room was perfect and the service was excellent,sure their was a little language issue but we managed,most of the time it was when we would order a drink and a different one would come back,oh well we drank them away.We had a 5 minute walk to a beautiful beach from our room or you could take the trolley that ran all the time.If you wanted a special place at the beach get up early and mark your chair with a towel. We were warned not to drink the water or brush our teeth with the tap water,but we were well supplied with bottle water in our frig so that was not problem.Overall this was a great place to stay,and like I stated we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Bring 1 dollars bills with you,tips go a long way,and good sunscreen.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

It is wonderful to read that you experienced a fabulous vacation with a perfect service provided by our staff. We also are very pleased to know that you spent a great time and you will be back next year.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

London, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I, as well as two of our friends, stayed at this resort from April 11th to April 18th. Our villa was 74. The rooms were very nice and clean. We faced towards other villas so we were lucky as there was construction behind our villa so that would have sucked. As expected the weather was beautiful with 30+ each day. The resort is large so you can walk or take the trollies to other parts of the resort. No complaints as the walk to the beach was under 10 minutes and so was the main area. The buffet each day was very good, except for the American festival as the food wasn't that great. Regarding the alacarts, the Japenese was awesome but I did tip a $5 so that we could sit around the chef frying table. Also the Mexican restaurant was very good. We previously stayed at the Princess Bahia in the Mexico, Riveria, and as good as that one was, the service at this resort was better. All the staff were very friendly. The nightly shows were just plain AWESOME. If you are looking for a great vacation, this is the place. Oh and the reviews about the beach were understated, just beautiful. Enjoy...Cheers.
Shawn and Deborah P

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shawn and Deborah,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our nice rooms, great a la carte restaurants, awesome nightly shows and friendly staff.

Feel welcome to contact us for your next visit, in order to prepare all the details to provide you another wonderful experience.

Regards from Punta Cana!

West Seneca, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Clean and well kept resort, great food and drinks, lots of sun, good times, great memories! Nightly entertainment was fun, casino is small, sportsbar was a good place to end each evening. Ate ala carte at American steakhouse, food was great, service so-so. Japanese ala carte restaurant was the best, food and service terrific. All resort workers were polite and accommodating. Food at main buffet was good and they change things up every day!

Room Tip: 3rd floor walkups are tough after full day of sun and fun, doesn't matter where you are really...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BufaloJohn
Dear client,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed a nice stay in our amazing resort. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#60 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,097 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!