Stayed at the Bahia Principe Bavaro from April 4-11, weather was great as was the cervesa. Nothing to complain about particularly except for the staff was not what I have come to expect from other Dominican vacations I have had in the past. Not that the service wasn't satisfactory, it certainly was, only that they weren't as "exceptional" as I have had on other stays. Our maid continually forgot to leave face cloths and the rooms did not seem to be cleaned at the same time each day, which does not sound like a huge deal but when you are trying to develop a holiday routine it does create a small problem. Also, the beds were not the most comfortable I have stayed in, my back was tight a few mornings. Very firm and unforgiving. The only person I would definitely give a thumbs down for service and overall personality was Lydia at the pool bar. I realize everyone can have a bad day and being bright and cheery isn't possible all the time, but being miserable and grumpy 7 days in a row is not what I appreciate as a guest. On the flip side, a young lady (Emiluze) who served in the lobby bar was exceptional, very friendly, helpful and cheery with a great sense of humor. This one person could make up for two persons negatives. The food was very good, much better than what I remembered Dominican restaurants and buffets to be. We took in two a la cartes, the Garden Grill and the Maiko. Garden Grill is a steak restaurant catering to a very western/cowboy feel, elegant decor but great classic country music and food was superb. Steaks were done better than I have had in the Dominican on any other trip. Maiko is a Japanese restaurant, chefs prepare food in front of 12 people. Chefs are entertaining and food is great. The common restaurant/buffet was satisfactory, always something that could be found to satisfy your appetite. The grounds are HUGE, just as they are at the Grand Bahia in the Mayan. There are shuttles to take you around however speed bumps keep you from getting anywhere much faster than walking. Beach bar/restaurant serves an excellent lunch so you don't have to go back to the lobby to eat.
Apart from that the only other thing I can say about the resort is that I found the beaches to be among the most beautiful I have ever seen, truly magnificent.
Away from the resort we went out for a meal to Captain Cooks seafood restaurant. It is in town and located right on the beach with beautiful open air views. You walk in and find a large selection of freshly (that day) caught seafood for you to pick from. You are able to select what you want and how much you want and pay by the weight. Meal was great and worth the trip.
The hotel is located only a short drive from the airport, less than half an hour including stops, so there was no need to obtain private transportation to shorten a long journey.
All in all it was a great trip and were it not for all the other hot holiday places to try I would definitely return here soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic