“Bavaro / Mostly good, a few negatives”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Bavaro / Mostly good, a few negatives”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The positives: The grounds of the hotel (all sections) are very pretty and well-maintained. Our room was spacious, nice, and pretty close to the pool, the lobby, and the buffet, etc. And everything in the room worked OK. The beach is nice -- the water is beautiful, clean, and just the right temp (as it is in most parts of the Caribbean) and there's soft, white sand. There are about 4 or 5 pools on the property -- all of them are really nice, with swim-up bars, etc. The pool in the Bavaro section was not at all crowded (we were there April 9-15) but the chairs by the pool could be a little tough-to-come-by in the morning, though (see my negatives below). There were kids at the pool but all were well-behaved. I found the staff (bartenders, waiters, bell hops, maids) friendly and generally helpful. The food at the buffet was good with a pretty wide variety. The food at the specialty French restaurant (Le Gourmet) was delicious (we had the steak and the lamb) and the ambience was nice, classy. The specialty Japanese restaurant (Maiko) had some tasty hibachi. We were in Bavaro # 46, which is one of the units furthest from the beach, but the walk to the beach is only about 12 or 14 leisurely minutes and the shuttles seem to run pretty often (other reviewers complain about these things and I suppose they could be a minor issue if you have a lot of young kids with you). Other reviewers complain about the drinking water and the flies on the beach but we had no issues with either. The Bavaro section has a nice open-air Daquiri bar for hanging out in the evening. The casino is small but it has some fun slots (about 30 total) and a few tables (for roulette, etc.).

The negatives: If you're accustomed to rolling out of the bed and onto the beach, Bavaro is not for you. It's a bit of a walk to the beach (see above). In the morning, the chairs at the beach and the pools can be scarce (because people wake up early and "claim" them). But we usually had a leisurely breakfast and we were then able to find chairs at the pool later in the AM. And chairs at the beach were plentiful after noon. The specialty restaurants were overbooked so all 3 of our reservations were at 9 PM. The food at the specialty Beach BBQ restaurant was so-so (and it wasn't actually on the beach). And there were no reservations available for the Garden Grill (which, I understand, is one of the most popular of the specialty restaurants). The check-in was a bit slow, so make sure you get everything (room safe, towel cards, map of the grounds, etc.) when you check in so you don't have to wait again. The room safe is not included -- it's $4 a day.

2 Thank BLQ2014
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and for acknowledging the fantastic and well maintained grounds, friendly and helpful people and the good food at the buffet. Thank you for classify the negatives and positives points that help us to make improvements at our Resort.

We hope to welcome you soon and provide you a better holiday than this.

Regards from Dominican Republic!

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,221)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Bávaro from April 11-18 in DR. I did read about 10 pages worth of reviews before booking this vacation. I am writing this review from a perspective of a young couple without kids. We are not picky people, but when you pay thousands of dollars for a well-deserved vacation at a 5 star resort, you have some expectations especially after we visited Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica in June 2012 and had some standards from this resort chain.

Customs/Immigration:
The airport is open, thus no A/C so do have a short sleeved short/tank top under your clothes. The line is long, but we went through the entire process in under 45 minutes. We did not have to pay the $10 fee entrance fee nor the $20 exit fee (it may have been included in our Sunquest package). There are men who try to take your luggage to get a tip, so just refuse and keep hold of your luggage (common sense here folks). The ride to the resort was under 30 minutes, since there's no rush hour traffic here :)

Room:
We were upgraded to the Diamond Club Bahia Hacienda in Villa 25, which is about a 5 minute walk from the beach. The room was spacious with a king sized bed, dresser, seating area, large tub with jets, granite countertop and tile throughout. It also included a safe, fridge (stocked with Fanta, Pepsi, Presidente beer and water). The fridge was not working when we arrived, but we called the front desk and it was fixed within 15 minutes. The previous reviewer, RMW1021, said "your rooms have a key card slot near the doorway in which you are "required" to place your room key in order for the room to have power." This is true, but we just folded a piece of paper from the note pad from the room and stuck it into the slot and our room had the A/C on the entire time. Everyday the cleaning lady came around 3 pm to clean the room, floor, change the linens/towels. Sometimes she even came 2-3 times, because after dinner we would return to our room with a tiny box of chocolates on our bed with a good night card. *Please note, we checked the mattress upon arrival, and I must tell you that there were remnants of bed bugs, but I thoroughly checked the mattress and I saw that the mattress was fumigated and we had no problems. On the fourth day, I also noticed that there was a trail of ants that were from behind the dresser which led up to the ceiling and across the room towards the balcony door. We called the front desk 3 times within a period of 45 minutes, and then the cleaning lady showed up with a spray. I did not ask for another room, or make any complaints about this since the room was close to the beach, and you never know what's going on in a new room.

Beach:
The beach chairs do get 'reserved' by others by 8am, so my motto is, 'if you can't beat ‘em - joint ‘em', and being an early bird, I got up and reserved the chairs. However, we did use them almost the entire day until 5 pm, others got to their chairs at 2 pm only to use them for 30 minutes. There is a bar by the beach, which serves non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks starting at 10am.The shore is LONG, you could walk for hours and see the other resorts. The water is clean and doe get quite warm in the afternoon hours which is nice, but there are waves. The landscaping service cleans the seaweed every morning, but there were days when the current was strong and they beach was a little too 'seaweedy', but that's nothing you can control. There are merchants trying to sell you cigars, cigarettes, excursions and jewellery which come up to you a dozen times per day, but the beach is owned by the government so there’s nothing you can do by thank them and tell them you’re not interested.

Pool:
I'm not a pool person, but we did spend a day the main pool. However, the chairs also get 'reserved' by 8am even through there are 4 pools within 10 minute walk of each other. The bartenders continue filling drinks throughout the day, and there are waiters that walk around asking for orders to bring to you. In the Bavaro resort, there is a 'party' pool with the entertainer playing different drinking games/bikini babe contest/dancing/arm wrestling/etc. so if you're into that, the music continues blasting until the pool closes at 6pm.

Food:
Being a vegetarian myself I could find different foods in the snack bar by the Bavaro pools as well as in the main buffet. They do different themes for dinner in the buffet, but they do have the usual fried chicken, burgers and fish, pasta bar, cheese bar, salad bar, desserts, and fruit/ice cream table. We did not get sick, and the kitchen staff are seen refilling trays and keeping the buffet clean. It may not bother you or you may not notice, but the only minus here was that they always served the men first, always thanked them, refilled their drinks but continuously 'forgot' to acknowledge the women at the table. We did go to 4 à al carte restaurants, Mexican (Santa Fe) and Mediterranean (Pescador) which almost have the same selection as the buffet where you chose an entree but self-serve the appetizers and desserts. The French restaurant (Le Gourmet) was set menu but we waited over an hour for the entree and it wasn't just us, all the patrons at the restaurant kept looking at their watches with hungry and anxious faces. Lastly was the Japanese/sushi/teppanyaki restaurant (Maiko), which was our least favourite. It's a set menu of soup, sushi, rice with chicken, beef, shrimp and fish, as well as dessert. Our chef did not do any tricks and knew only three words in English, "WOW" and "YEAH BABY" which he continued to say for the entire meal. So I would stick with the buffet, which is open for dinner 6:30pm-10pm.

Entertainment:
The lobby has live music and different interesting alcoholic drinks every night. The theatre is also open after dinner for two shows, at 8:20pm and 9:25pm. The shows are interesting, there's Michael Jackson, Burlesque, Circus, etc. The Michael Jackson is on Mondays and is by far the best one.

Transportation:
There are shuttle buses that run every 10 minutes, you can walk from the beach to the lobby where the buffet is in about 15 minutes, but there is no shade during the walk. Personally I thought this resort is enormous, and taking the shuttle 6 times a day is a bit much.

Overall, I enjoyed the vacation, however I personally would not spend more than $1,100/pp for 7 days. We previously stayed at the three star Tropical Princess Punta Cana in summer of 2011, which cost us $595/pp for 7 days, so compared to this GBP Bavaro was just one star up, I would not call this a 5 star resort.

6 Thank Jesse W
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Jesse,

We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Yours sincerely,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I'll preface this with a little background of our group: this was a family trip with 10 of us traveling, including 2 small children (4-7 yrs) and one infant (1-2 yrs) and the rest adults. Immediately from landing at the Punta Cana airport, several things are foreshadowing your week:

1. You will be waiting a LOT. The line to get into immigration was absolutely dreadful - no AC, heavy heat, hundreds of people in a maze of ropes with no real sense of direction. You are charged a 10$ tourist fee before you get the joy of waiting in another line as 6-7 immigration agents slowly look over hundreds of incoming passports.

2. Everyone is trying to sell you something (and NOTHING is free). From the time we stepped off the plane to the time we got back on, we were constantly harassed both at the airport and the resort to buy things or pay for services we didn't ask for. Seriously - at one point we were in the ocean water joking that someone might pop up out of the water next to us trying to sell us something - and as if on cue, someone in the water tried to get us to pay for a boat ride.

3. The resort is constantly trying to nickel-and-dime you. Just one of many instances: your rooms have a key card slot near the doorway in which you are "required" to place your room key in order for the room to have power. Yes, this means that when you leave the room, your AC, fridge, lights, everything, turns off while you're gone. Had a hot day on the beach and want to return to the room and relax in some cool air? Think again.

There are way too many instances of the 3 things I just listed to write here - it would take hours.

The food at the resort is absolutely awful. I have been to many different resorts all over the Caribbean and Mexico and this was far and wide the worst food I have been subjected to for an entire week. The entirety of my family nearly stampeded the line at the Wendys in Punta Cana Airport because it seemed like a high class meal in comparison. We ate at two of the reservation-only restaurants (we could only get reservations at the Japanese/Hibachi and Gourmet places because they are the only ones able to accommodate parties of 10) and they were ever so slightly better than the buffet slop. The sushi was clearly prepackaged and mushy but the meat was average which probably saved the meal. The Gourmet restaurant had a "ravioli" soup which was actually a piece of mushroom wrapped in a single fettuccine noodle. Just one, total. And the broth was just awful - I couldn't stomach it. The steak I had for dinner was probably the best food I had (and that really is not saying much) but the portion was sized for a kid instead of a full sized adult.

The buffet food is not even worth mentioning; BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ABOUT THE FOOD. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. By the week's end, we were buying candy @ 2$ a bar from the lobby shop just to get something in our stomach. Oh and did I mention chapstick was 11$ for one small tube? Don't forget anything or you can expect to pay an exorbitant price to have it on vacation.

If you have small children, you must avoid this place at all costs. The walks are very long and not shaded and the food places don't open up for dinner until late (6:30pm) which is very difficult for many people with kids who eat much earlier than that.

People get up at 6-7am to "reserve" seats at all pools and the beach - sometimes not even returning to these seats until 5-7 hours later having not been there and expect that their chairs are waiting for them. The very first day, 2 people were very upset with us because they tried to "reserve" 5 chairs using two towels and were gone for OVER 6 hours. SIX HOURS. Security nearly made us move had another guy on vacation not stepped up in our defense whom clearly had some clout with some management there. That is absolutely absurd; we paid the same as everyone else and I'm not on vacation to sprint down to the beach at 6am and reserve a chair I might or might not even use. The fact that security even found my family and I remotely in the wrong was a huge red flag.

The other staff on the resort was friendly to us, although the waitresses frequently got our drinks wrong or just not at all. I was turned away at the buffet hall for wearing a tank-top to dinner (with nice shorts and shoes, I'm in the Caribbean and it's a buffet..) while the girl right behind me walks right in with a tube top and booty shorts, no problem. Then, we're told the dress code is strict at the Gourmet restaurant - long pants, long shirt, nice shoes. After dragging myself over to the restaurant in 85 degree weather, the table next to us has a kid (10-11 years old) in gym shorts, sandals, and a old beat up t-shirt. Who exactly does the dress code apply to?

The beach is beautiful, as is the water, but that is true everywhere along the coast of Punta Cana. We booked an excursion to swim with the dolphins which turned out to be way more trouble than it was worth. We waited in a line to get a bracelet, then waited for everyone to take a picture one-by-one with a parrot (in the sun), then waited for everyone to take a picture with the walrus one by one (in the sun...keep in mind there are probably 50 people in your group). The kids with us were so agitated by the time we got to the dolphins that it wasn't worth the trouble. Then you are forced to wait for the next bus to leave the place back to your resort while they try and extort money from you with expensive pictures and drinks. All in all, the entire family agreed we would have rather not wasted what turned out to be the bulk of an entire day to get in the water with dolphins for about 30 minutes total.

Finally on our way out, we were taken advantage of by a uniformed Punta Cana Airport Security officer who charged my family and I each 10$ as an "exit tax" after he checked our passports. After several of us had gone by and someone behind us questioned what the money was for, the officer pocketed the cash and told the couple they could go on through without paying. When we raised this issue with security, they acted like we making up stories and asked us to move along. We confirmed that we were indeed taken advantage of when we checked with our airline hostesses on the plane, who said this is a common occurrence among security officials at the airport. BE WARNED.

I could go on for a long time but what I wrote above should be enough to suffice for a review of this place. All said and done, I would never recommend this resort to anybody but an enemy and I will likely never return to the DR given the overall experience we had both on and off the resort. Do yourself a huge favor; don't stay here or go to Mexico instead.

Room Tip: Pick one at another resort or country.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank RMW1021
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear client,

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your stay with us.

Regarding your comments about our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. We assure you that all your comments have been forwarded to our General Management to analyze the strong points you mentioned

Once more we regret your negative perception of our country in general and I hope you can accept our apologizes for your disappointed experience.

Best regards,

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Arrived at the grand Bahia and the scenery was breath taking! Beautiful views and very clean resort. Everybody who worked at the hotel was extremely friendly. Resort was huge so never a shortage of things to do. Beach was amazing!!! There was construction behind our hotel room which was a huge inconvenience at times because they would start very early in the morning which I thought was completely unnecessary. We were given 3 a la cartes for our stay and all of the restaurants have dress codes which were not enforced. My boyfriend did not bring any pants on the trip due to the extreme heat and guest services said it would not be a problem as long as he wore a button up shirt and closed toed shoes. Our last reservation was at the French restaurant and they denied him entry, all the other restaurants had no problem with his clothing. We made a complaint at guest services and the lady was less then helpful stating that she would not tell the manager or help us in any way because he had gone home for the night. I thought that her attitude about our situation was horrible. When we went to check out of the hotel they said that we had a six dollar bar tab. (My boyfriend had one premium drink) the bartender gave us our tab at the bar and he gave the bar tender $20 to cover the drink plus give the bar tender a large tip. Obviously that bartender pocketed that money and did not put it toward the drink. In canada this would be considered stealing and would not be tolerated but at the resort they did not care at all. The lady at the front desk pretty much demanded the money and expected a tip. If it weren't for the beautiful scenery and a few of the amazing staff I would never go back to this resort. Gideon was great for our excursions and an extremely honest man and made our stay amazing.

Room Tip: Upgrade to diamond club!!! Request a room not in construction zone
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 112shelbyk
Dear Shelby,

I would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you and your boyfriend have experienced for the response given to you by the guest service staff.

In the name of all our staff members I would like to thank you for vacationing with us. We are grateful that despite those inconveniences you loved our Resort and the beauty it.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream in the Caribbean.

Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Read a lot of negative review before I went to this resort so I was kind of nervous about going, but I will now take negative reviews with a grain of salt. It was an amazing trip!!

Resort:
Big, but we walked the whole time and never had an issue. The tram is nice if you don't want to walk. It was about a 12 min walk from the beach to the lobby and buffet. The resort is beautiful and the staff is constantly working to make it look great and they do a good job. Checking in was fast and easy, we had upgraded to the diamond club which was closer to the beach, it was nice we had a room that would help with alacarts, internet for 20mins a day and we could eat at the Senta fe for breakfast and lunch (we never did we went to the big buffet). They let vendors on the resort twice when we were there in the front part by the lobby wasn't too bad if you said no they were pretty good and didn't push.

Room:
Room was great, if we wanted it cleaned it was and we had no issue with getting the bar re socked once they were cleaning the room a little late and it was missed so my husband asked and they gave him 4 beer which was nice. Put down a towel on the floor cause when you shower the floor will get wet and it is slippery. But that is it

Buffet:
I really like the buffet there were lots of choices which I really enjoyed. I liked the theme nights they were fun. They served wine with lunch and dinner but if you want something else all you do is ask. The staff was very friendly at the buffet they help us learn some Spanish when we asked what words were and that was fun!

Staff:
All the staff was great, they weren't pushy with tips. Everyone we talked to were nice and friendly. The majority of the staff understood if we asked something there wasn't much of an issue with that. They were awesome the whole time we were there all friendly and always said hi as they walked by. They work really hard all day to make the resort look great and serve everyone they were amazing.

Pool:
Nice , busy early but we could find a chair when we went there. The swim up bars were fun and there were a few pools. They had planned activities for this every day.

Beach:
Beautiful, again busy in the day. We had a great time when we went to the beach if you walk down all the way passed a few resorts there are vendors which was fun, but they would be pushy. They did starching and activities which was fun to watch.

Excursions/shows:
We booked 4 and they were all great. We did the Bavaro Splash - Awesome would do again, Buggies- was fun but got bugged by some vendors when you stop at the cave still a good time, Dolphin explorer-lots of fun, would do again, then last the Caribbean festival- awesome, it was a great time I would recommend to anyone.
We never seen any shows while there but I heard they were great and we seen the tail end of one. They had them every night which was cool

A great resort, this was are first trip and we can't wait to go back again it was great!

1 Thank Darla L
Dear Darla,

We are pleased to know that you had an awesome time in our Diamond Club. Thank you for your detailed feedback and it is good for us to know you can’t wait to come back to our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana to continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

huge resort -- pristine , full of color . flowers everywhere's . ~ arrived in Paradise ... . first morning ~ amazed & a bit overwhelemed by the size ~ that feeling quickly fades .. Replaced by sheer fun and enjoyment. spectacular immaculate grounds. cute little trolleys connect you to the beach front. Rooms big , super clean, romantic poster beds . soft linens and friendly smilng staff -- lots of towels ~ balcony over the many pools . shimmering and lovely. fringed with big palms .. buffet , service , quick, easy, friendly & all staff happy .. the lobby is huge .. sitting on the garden over look with the breeze was so enjoyable. would go back again tomorrow in a flash .. have been to the Dominician 12 times. Loved it.. go and do not worry , you will Love it like we did..
and Michael in the Lobby was a great help...

Room Tip: we were in the 15 section . quiet . on the corner top floor . balcony surrounded by palms . very in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank PatriciaYoung154976
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Patricia,

What a pleasure to find this wonderful review this morning. We are delighted to know that you consider this Resort is pristine and amazing. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for this great comment and looking forward to welcoming you for another unforgettable stay!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Setubal, Portugal
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It was one of my best vacations ever! Excellent room, with king size bed and cleaned every day. Different swimming pools and the magnificent beach near by. You can just relax and enjoy the sun. Hotel staff were magnificent, always available and super friendly. After dinner, just enjoy the daily spectacular or the disco. You have also different restaurants à la cart, so you don't need to go always o the buffet. Overall, everything was perfect and to be repeated.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed room near by the beach and high floor
4 Thank cverissimo
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear client,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We are proud to hear that you consider this is an excellent Resort due to the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff members.

We will be more than happy to receive you one more time at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Regards from Dominican Republic!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!