The positives: The grounds of the hotel (all sections) are very pretty and well-maintained. Our room was spacious, nice, and pretty close to the pool, the lobby, and the buffet, etc. And everything in the room worked OK. The beach is nice -- the water is beautiful, clean, and just the right temp (as it is in most parts of the Caribbean) and there's soft, white sand. There are about 4 or 5 pools on the property -- all of them are really nice, with swim-up bars, etc. The pool in the Bavaro section was not at all crowded (we were there April 9-15) but the chairs by the pool could be a little tough-to-come-by in the morning, though (see my negatives below). There were kids at the pool but all were well-behaved. I found the staff (bartenders, waiters, bell hops, maids) friendly and generally helpful. The food at the buffet was good with a pretty wide variety. The food at the specialty French restaurant (Le Gourmet) was delicious (we had the steak and the lamb) and the ambience was nice, classy. The specialty Japanese restaurant (Maiko) had some tasty hibachi. We were in Bavaro # 46, which is one of the units furthest from the beach, but the walk to the beach is only about 12 or 14 leisurely minutes and the shuttles seem to run pretty often (other reviewers complain about these things and I suppose they could be a minor issue if you have a lot of young kids with you). Other reviewers complain about the drinking water and the flies on the beach but we had no issues with either. The Bavaro section has a nice open-air Daquiri bar for hanging out in the evening. The casino is small but it has some fun slots (about 30 total) and a few tables (for roulette, etc.).
The negatives: If you're accustomed to rolling out of the bed and onto the beach, Bavaro is not for you. It's a bit of a walk to the beach (see above). In the morning, the chairs at the beach and the pools can be scarce (because people wake up early and "claim" them). But we usually had a leisurely breakfast and we were then able to find chairs at the pool later in the AM. And chairs at the beach were plentiful after noon. The specialty restaurants were overbooked so all 3 of our reservations were at 9 PM. The food at the specialty Beach BBQ restaurant was so-so (and it wasn't actually on the beach). And there were no reservations available for the Garden Grill (which, I understand, is one of the most popular of the specialty restaurants). The check-in was a bit slow, so make sure you get everything (room safe, towel cards, map of the grounds, etc.) when you check in so you don't have to wait again. The room safe is not included -- it's $4 a day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic