“Good Resort with Great Service!”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #60 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bell Island, Canada
“Good Resort with Great Service!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went with another couple and really enjoyed are vacation!
The grounds are beautiful and very well kept, everything was very clean.
Our room was clean and I would recommend upgrading to the diamond club as the room location is closer to the beach.

The food and drinks were average but the staff were AMAZING! We would definetly go back!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kaylacole86
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Kayla,

It is a pleasure to read that you and husband enjoyed visiting our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, especially great services from the Diamond Club, which rooms locations are closer to the beach.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion and highlight our staff as amazing.

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,214)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Travelled from March 15th to 22nd and second time at this resort.

QUICK TIPS
**Bring bug repellent, lots of mosquitoes at night!
**It’s a big resort, VERY big, if you have mobility issues maybe not the best place for you.
**Get up early to get a spot at the beach or pool.
**It is safe to leave your big luggage in front of the lobby while your room is being prepared.

ARRIVAL:
Booked through Sunquest. We got at the hotel around 11:30, we went straight to our Diamond Club check-in, got our bracelets right away, a welcome cocktail, rooms were not ready, they said by 3:00PM (which is the actual check-in time). Went for lunch and walked around a bit and went to see if by luck our rooms were ready, and they were! At 1:30, we were in our rooms! Mentioned that it was our second time there, we got silver bracelets (VIP) and got a gift in our room the next day. Two t-shirts and a small bottle of rum!

ROOM 25308 Diamond Club:
Everything was perfect! A/C worked fine (for once!) and so did everything else in the room. Can’t complain. Oh and it’s about a 3 minute walk to the beach. One time before going to dinner around 6:00PM we had no hot water, when I say no hot water, nothing came out of the tap. Meh, cooled down the sunburn so not a big deal! Bed and pillows were fine, we slept well. We did have our beach towels in the room, slippers and bath robes, an umbrella also. Safe was included with Sunquest Diamond Club.

MAID:
The room was always spotless. Requested more water bottles one day and she gave us the same amount every day after. Beer, pop was refilled every day. No complaints here! We also tip her every day.

HOTEL STAFF:
Most of them are very nice and work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. No complaints there. Oh I almost forgot… Yes, they speak Spanish, it’s their mother tongue! :)

NIGHT SHOWS
Fun to watch! They work very hard to give you these shows.

BUFFET
We only ate at the buffet all week. Food is good, no complaints there. If people complain, they are really picky. Seriously. Here is a tip… The buffet is so large that if you choose your food right away and then walk around 3 times to find other foods, the food on your plate will get cold. Instead, walk the buffet and look at what they have and THEN choose the food you want.

GROUNDS
Immaculate! Always clean and looks fantastic. Seriously, if you have mobility issues, don’t go there. It’s a HUGE resort. Yes they have trams that pick you up every 10 mins give or take and sometimes they are full especially around 6:00PM.

BEACH
Pretty crammed as this is a HUGE resort and there are a lot of people. We got up at 6:00AM to get a good spot under a palapa. Still room available at 6:30+. The rest was just perfect of course! Water was really warm also and 2 days we had big waves. Remark for tourists… Please remove your flip-flops when you walk on the beach, getting sand in the face and in your drink is not fun.

POOLS
Always clean and water very warm. No complaints there. Get up early to get a spot as they get reserved pretty quick.

FREE WIFI
Free in the lobby for a 1 hour block. Basically, you connect and have 1 hour to use it right away, if you don’t use the whole hour, you lose it. That should be changed in my opinion quite annoying. (

BARS / DRINKS
They are good. Depends who makes your drink! Sometimes they are strong and sometimes you wonder if there is any rum in them, but most of the time they were fine.

CONCLUSION
Overall this was one of the best vacations I have had. No big disappointments, everything was to our linking. We will probably book there again in the future! Please read any 1 or 2 star reviews with a grain of salt as there is probably no way to please these people in any way possible.

Thank you to everyone at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro for making our vacation enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank Bigs73
Dear client,

We really appreciate this detail feedback which we pride ourselves and gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that you had another fantastic vacation.

I would like to thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and it’s very satisfy for us to know this was one of the best vacations you have had.

Looking forward to seeing you in Punta Cana very soon,

Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Every year we go on a girl trip to the Caribbean for a week! We went march 7-12 The weather was fantastic 81-84 and everyone could speak English which was very helpful. The restaurants were disappointing as they were overbooked and we couldn't get into any and we tried to book them as soon as we arrived! The buffet's were good enough! The resort is huge and you definitely need to take the trams! The pool bars were a ton of fun and drinks are everywhere as there are 16 bars! We enjoyed the beach and the beach pool bar the most. the food and bathrooms are right there which was great. The beach was amazing and the pools were clean and very nice! Our rooms were big and roomy! when we first arrived i was upset that we were in the premiere area and that was the farthest from the beach but it wasn't a problem as the pool, bar and buffet was right around the corner. Overall we had a great time and I would go back!

Room Tip: Go through the hotel directly instead of a site online because they are selling the cheapest rooms a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank vacationneer
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for take time to post this review and for your feedback.
We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed a great time with the girls thanks to our amazing pools and beach, good buffet and big rooms.

We will be proud to have you once again in our property to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed at the resort with my son and fiancée to celebrate my 40th birthday. Upon the day of arrival we could not check in for 6 hours as check-in is at 3pm so we undressed in the bathroom a bribed the towel attendant for towels for the day. The very next day tried to book our 3 a la carte restaurant and everything was impossible, just at 9pm. After 30 minutes of negotiating I was able to secure 3 a la carte restaurants, all of which were buffet style except for the main dish.
Still couldn't get me a reservation for my birthday so I had to go back daily to final get a table at the Dominican restaurant. The constant following up was not fun.

Kids Club: By the pictures on-line I thought the waterpark was part of the kids club..it is not. Kids club was the biggest disappointment. No weekly schedule of activities, you would ask what was going on the next morning and 100% of the time they were staying indoor painting and coloring - in the afternoon they would take the kids for 1 hour only to the water park. I have been to several resorts and have always impressed with the staff at kids club, the ladies here would not even look up from their phones and greet you good morning. I never felt great leaving my son there.
They did not engage with the children and did not do much with them if anything. They texted all day long instead.

Parasailing: We paid for a parasailing trip for the 3 of us, it was great BUT got ripped off by the photographer on the boat. He said for $35 US he would take 60 pictures and burn them on a cd for us. He said we needed to meet him at the lobby at 6pm. He was late 1 hour, we paid only to find out when we got home the CD was blank.

Buffet: Good luck getting coffee in the morning or wine at dinner - the staff is more concerned with setting tables then attending to you and your dinner experience.
Food was cold - scrambles eggs, French toast you name it was cold.

Rooms are nice and large - clean

Overall too crowded, no beach chairs available.

If you are looking to Party - enjoy loud music at the pool and not overly concerned about kids club or a nice cup of coffee in the morning - this is for you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Snoopy112014
Dear Snoopy,

We regret your observations about our kids club. Please be assured that your comments have been share with the General Management to take the necessary measures.

Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenient with the reservations of a la carte restaurants.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and be able to change any negative perception.

Best regards,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My family of three very much enjoyed the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. From food to service to entertainment, we were always pleased and found that our needs were not only met, they were anticipated. Yes, it was a walk from our room to the beach - but 10-15 minutes and the weather was exactly what we were there for sooooo. We took it all in. For an all-inclusive, the food was good and the drink was ample. Agree that it would be nice to receive an additional a la carte restaurant for our 6 night stay (we received three) - perhaps ask when you sign up. The entertainment nightly was unexpected and fun. Enjoy Yourself!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephanie B
Dear Stephanie,

We would like to thank you for sharing your great experience with us on TripAdvisor and it is a pleasure to know that everything was awesome from the start to the finish of your stay.

Feel welcome to contact us for your next visit, in order to prepare all the details to provide you a wonderful experience.

Regards from Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream in the Caribbean.

Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed from Februari 26, till March 10, 2014.

After reading reviews about this hotel, I wasn't sure if I made a good deciscion by booking it. Since it is a very huge hotel, I upgraded to the Bavaro section which gives access to the Sante Fe restaurant for breakfast and lunch, that was a very good choice for me as I like to eat in peace. And it the rooms are closer to the beach.

Arrival at the hotel: after looking for the right reception desk (there are several) the check in was very fast and the map of the hotel was useful! You really need that during your stay, although there are signs everywhere.

Room: It was perfect for me! Very clean, minibar filled every day, towels changed every 2nd day, sometimes there was a strange little smell in the room which came from the airco (I think) but it was so tiny that there was no reason to complain. The only noice I heard was coming from people outside or when they entered with smacking doors. I asked for a top floor and I also received it.

The beach & pools: everywhere it was very clean! Entertainment was ok, it didn't disturb me and was nice looking at it. No hassle, nobody was aggressieve in the hotel or the beach from the hotel. On the beach there are some people walking around trying to sell their stuff but I didn't paid attention to them and they left me alone without even asking me if I wanted to buy something; exactly how I wanted!

The only poor review which is true, is that there are not enough loungers. Not at the beach and not at the pools. At 8:00 there are already taken but it is normal since I saw people swimming in the sea at 6:00. It is not that the towels are already there during the night. There is enough space to put more loungers but I guess the hotel has a reason not to do this?

Food: breakfast and lunch I took in the Sante Fe due it is close to the beach and not a lot of people.
Breakfast was great with a lot of choice in cold and warm dishes.
Lunch was also great with chicken, 2 types of fish and 2 types of meat.
Of course, the main buffet close at the reception where everyone can go for food, has much more choices but also so busy. I prefered to avoid it but some dinners I had to take there.

Dinner: don't expect too much from the restaurants. Some are good, some are having the same food, some serve delicious but cold food and some will rush you outside to serve new people. A made some reservations by email and receive a kind response back. Other reservations I made during my stay and I had no problems with fully bookings.

For dinner at the main buffet, you have a lot of choice but when you see something and you don't get it directly, it will be replaced by something else as it is gone already.
When you want to go for dessert, make sure you leave something on the table as otherwise the table will be cleaned and other people will already be sitting there before you come back from the buffet.

There is always something open where you can eat and drink for 23 hours a day! You just need to find it but it is written on the backside of the map you get at the reception with arrival.

The resort is huge but it is a nice walking distance from the beach to the reception. I didn't take the train much, if you just missed it, you are faster by foot.
I really liked the lobby with a singer during the evenings, the drinks where great and a great atmosphere. I wanted to see the Michael Jackson show but have missed it so I can't tell something about it.

I really liked this resort and would recommend it to everyone. Just keep in mind, there are not enough loungers for everyone and you have to get up early for that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Ann R
Dear Ann,

I would like to thank you for recommending us to everyone and for mentioning our very clean and great Resort. It is a pleasure to know that you founded the room was perfect and the Santa Fe Restaurant was so quiet than the main buffet. Rest assured that your comments about chairs at the beach and pool have been taken in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to welcoming you one more time in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel room was such a big disappointment. People always say " you are hardly in your room " I disagree a clean and comfortable room with possibly an ocean view is important. Our beds had bed bugs not to mention very uncomfortable. We are covered in bug bites.
The hotel switched rooms but it wasn't anymore comfortable and definitely not an upgrade.
We of course made the best of this expensive trip since we hadn't been away in awhile.
The hotel is lively with good entertainment crew. It has beautiful grounds and the people are friendly . Lots of things to do for the kids.
Food was good. A la cartes are difficult to get reservations in.
Pool chairs needed to be reserved by 6 am with towels or you couldn't find on.
Overall , we will not recommend or return to this hotel chain.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sunseeker3D
Dear client,

We would like to thank you taking your valuable time to post a review and mentioning the beauty of the grounds and the good food.

In relation to your opinion about the bed bugs, let us state you that our rooms are subject to strict supervision. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. We follow insects control programs which are carried out continuously. Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has as a consultant an international and well-known company named Cristal America, which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#61 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!