“A Wonderful Week!!”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #61 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro from March 7th-14th. I read a ton of reviews on here prior to booking. Despite some negative comments we went ahead and booked our trip. We were more than impressed with EVERYTHING this hotel offers. We travel often and have been to many all inclusive resorts and this one is definitely at the top of our list.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. From the lobby, grounds, pool, common areas and the rooms...everything met or went above our expectations. It's simply a beautiful resort.

The staff is incredible! So friendly and so accommodating. They truly ensure that you have the best week ever.

The beach is beyond beautiful. It was slightly busy (considering it was march/spring break) but we always had a chair to lounge on. The one day we arrived at 10 am to the beach and yes it was busy but the friendly staff on the beach were quick to get us a lounge chair.

Buffets are great. Lots of variety. The a la cartes were amazing!! The Japanese one is a must do! They cook right in front of you. Such a good show!!

The hotel is very big. It spreads people out nicely. We were staying in the Premier and to get to the beach it was about a ten-fifteen min walk. We're active people so we didn't mind. They do however have a trolly that runs constantly that you can use to get around the resort.

There's a water park for kids on the resort. :) shopping on the resort in a little town/village type area. Very safe and friendly people.

We have high standards and generally only stay at 5 star hotels. This definitely met our expectations. Disregard all the negativity and spend the week here!! You won't be disappointed.

Overall a great vacation!! I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Kelly G
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Kelly,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for sharing your experience highlighting our absolutely beautiful hotel from the Lobby, rooms, friendly and accommodate staff, pool and everything you found in our Resort.

We really appreciate this feedback and we are proud to know we were able to meet your expectations.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Punta Cana

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived Feb 23 to a booked to capacity resort. We went through three rooms before we found one without ripped sheets. That being said the rooms were very clean, staff did a great job but rooms were dated.
The food was great, but it was very busy at the buffets. I have to give the staff credit, they went out of their way to make you comfortable and enjoy your stay.
One of our favourite staff was the waitress at the main lobby, Yuleidy, hope I spelled that correctly, she introduced us to their local drink Mama g u wanna , at least that's how we pronounced it.
One thing I would advise anyone travelling here is to make sure you bring bug repellent, I was bitten from the time I arrived until we left, and that took a bit of a bite out of the vacation, pardon the pun!
I would return here, I would recommend taking a couple of tours to see this beautiful Island and all it has to offer .
I hope this hotel appreciates it's staff and how hard they work, after all they are what make a memorable vacation.

Room Tip: This is a very big resort, I would probably try the Amber of Emerald sides
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Natyjo3

Dear client,

It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed our great food, the typical drink Mamajuana and especially the friendly and hardworking staff, that make you a memorable vacation.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration and at the same time I apologize for some inconveniences you have encountered.

Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I only gave this place 3 stars because of the location, the food and how maintained the property was. This was my second trip to Punta Cana and I wish I dished out more money and stayed at a better resort like Dreams Palm Beach where I stayed the last time. The people at the front desk were not helpful at check in at all they just give you a map and send you on your way. This results in several trips back to the front desk and several phone calls. I stayed in villa 39 which is close to the lobby, main buffet, theatre and bar. Our room was nice and clean but had awful dim lighting due to cheap light bulbs and the room was covered with mosquitoes. I got bit up every night. The hotel sells bug spray for $15. The food at the resort was delicious. We ate the buffet pretty much every night. We were only there for 4 days and the a la carte restaurants were booked until after we were gone. We asked to speak to a manager and he was able to get us in the Japanese Restaurant which we really appreciated. The beach is one of the nicest beaches on the island. It is crowed and you will need to reserve your spot as early as 6am and as late as 8:30am. Same with the pool. All the staff was very helpful and a tip goes a long way here. If you want an intimate resort this not the place you need at least a week to see the whole thing. The trams are helpful but confusing if you get on the wrong one. Would I come to this resort again no. But if you just need a place with drinks and food included this is the place.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank alexm0830

Dear Alex,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay. We sincerely regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction and we apologize for some inconveniences you have experienced.

Thank you for highlight our good food and the Japanese Restaurant.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

When we were here, the staff made us feel like a burden. We actually visited in Feb for 10 days when it was busy but still didn't feel welcome. Unless you are looking for a giant resort that tries sadly to make it feel like a small one. Bottom line: it fails, I would tell my friends to go somewhere else

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Theunderboss
socialmedia b, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear client,

We apologize if you felt you did not received the service you deserve. We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and be able to change any negative perception, demonstrating you the commitment, hospitality and quality of service we have.

Regards from the Caribbean,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro from the 19th of Feb to 05 of Mar 2014 from day 2 the mosquitoes bites started until my last day, not pleasant at all. The unit 71 to 79 are close by a swamp so that is probably why we had those uninvited visitors. Other than that the resort is very big, the food is very good and the restaurants a la carte are excellent. But because of the mosquitoes I will not go back there. I’ve been to many others resort before in Punta Cana and there was never any mosquitoes.

Room Tip: Do not take Unit 71 to 79 and the one across the road from them
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank T3181QJmaria
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear client,

We follow insects control programs and strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. Due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration that we are located in a protected mangrove area, the presence of mosquitoes coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel and we really hope you could consider giving us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I spent 7 nights here March 2-9, booked through Apple Vacations.

When reading reviews of this hotel, consider what part of the resort the reviewer was staying in. There is a major difference in location, service, food and drinks for different parts of this resort.This hotel is HUGE. Download a map before you book and have a clear understanding of where you are staying. It is at least a mile from the entrance to the beach. The right side is the Grand Bahia Principi Punta Cana. The left side is the Grand Bahia Principi Bavaro. They are identical. The Hacienda section of the hotel gets you closest to the beach- a 5minute walk. Hacienda is buildings 1-10 on the Punta Cana side and buildings 20-29 on the Bavaro side. Buildings 40-53 are in the "kids/family" section, closest to the entrance and a walk to a "tram" and half hour walk to the beach if you don't take the tram. The water park is right by the road.

We stayed in building 29, Hacienda section, a 5 minute walk to the beach. Nice room. The food was awful (more on that later). We checked out the Ambar and Esmeralda section of the resort, which is adult only and I assume way more expensive. The common areas, pool, bar, drinks and buffet food was far superior at Ambar to the other parts of the resort.

Check-in: Our Apple rep had a package waiting for us with room keys and a map. He didn't give instructions on room safe, internet and booking ale carte restaurants. A room safe is $29 /week. I purchased this at the front desk, but the instructions were missing a step. After many calls, I had to leave the beach the next day to meet the "safe guy" who got it working. Ridiculous. Internet is free in the lobby, but $49/week to get it in your room. I literally was sent to 5 different places before I could purchase an "internet card". It worked fine once I got it. Booking ale carte restaurants took a good half hour. It was difficult to get reservations at a decent hour. Even if you are tired upon arrival, I suggest you deal w/ booking ale carter, buying the safe and internet immediately. Why they don't streamline this process is beyond me.

Rooms: Clean and comfortable.

Grounds: Clean and well kept.

Beach: Beautiful, clean, but crowded. There is one resort after another as far as you can see in both directions. Lots of vendors but they didn't bother us. Lots of activities like para sailing, hobie cats, etc.

Beach chairs: Hard to get. You need to claim your chair by putting a towel and personal belongings on it by 6:30 a.m if you want a good spot with shade.

Drinks: Beer was Pesidente on tap. It sucked. Drinks were very weak and sugary pre-made crap. My drink of choice was a Bahama Momma. When ordering, I asked for an extra full cup of ice and another cup of rum on the rocks. Mixing the 3 together made for a decent cold not to sugary drink.

Food: The absolute worst of the 5 all-inclusives I have been too. I don't consider myself picky, but some of the food was downright gross. The hamburgers were not real hamburger. All the rolls were stale hockey pucks. Meat in buffet was overcooked, dried out. Ale Carte: The French restaurant was the worst. We ate only 1 of 5 courses. The Japanese restaurant tempura appetizer was cold and soggy. Main entree way to salty, desert of fried ice cream had a soggy outer layer that was not fried. The BBQ restaurant was bad- ribs old, dried out w/ cold coagulated sauce. The Garden Grill was very good with a nice tenderloin steak.

Overall: If you want quiet, not crowded, good food and drinks, don't go here!!! If you want decent price, warm weather, nice beach and water and don't care about good food and drinks- just want to get away, its not a bad choice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank SLM3442
Customer Servic... B, Customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which have been treated with great interest. Our customer´s comments are very important for us for that reason I apologize for not being able to cover your expectations in the food and drink concept.

Also, regarding your comments about internet, it has been transfer to our General Management in order to analyze the points you mentioned.

We are always at your disposal and we hope to have another opportunity with you!!!!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Be prepared, this is going to be a detailed review.
When reading reviews about hotels, or resorts I like to get as much information as I can. I like to know what people did there or what they thought about it. Not just “the food was good, the beach was nice, the staff was friendly”. <---Not that helpful! Thanks.

My husband and I traveled to Punta Cana for our honeymoon from Friday Feb 28th to Friday Mar 7. We flew WestJet but traveled through Sunquest Vacation.

When we arrived in PC we were ushered off the plane and put onto a bus which took us to the "Arrivals" entrance of the airport (which is like a 2 sec drive, you could walk there faster but I assume they don’t want people walking around on the runway). We walked to the lineup, which looked intimidating and guessed it was going to take us forever to get through (which it did when we traveled to Jamaica), but surprisingly it didn't take very long at all. Maybe 15mins. Once at the counter we were asked for our passports and paperwork from the plane, passports stamped, and we were sent on our way to baggage claim. You basically just follow the flow of traffic in the airport. Whichever way everyone is going you should be following. We collected our bags and went to the next stop, transportation.

There are a bunch of desks and they all have different travel companies listed above them. As we walked to these desks we were asked by several guys offering rides, or asking who we were looking for, we just politely told them no thanks and said we knew where we were going. We found the Sunquest desk and gave the lady our Travel Voucher, which our travel agent had issued us. She told us which way to go, and that our bus was #15 and they would have a Sunquest sign. Sounds easy enough. It kind of was, except there were a lot of buses, big small, short, and long that were #15. We cruised around and finally found Sunquest #15, which was a big motor coach! There were only about 15 of us on the bus and the Bahia Principe was the first stop. Our driver was really nice, gave us good tips, like don't drink the tap water, tips aren't mandatory but greatly appreciated, and when our Sunquest orientation was.

Once we pulled up at the Bahia Principe, the bellman (which are all dressed like safari guys) collected our bags from the bus and told us, in very broken English, what we leave our bags at the front and go check in. We were a little nervous doing this, but its normal. Everyone’s bags are all gathered there during check in and check out. While standing in line at the front desk a woman came up and asked if we were traveling with Sunquest, we said yes, and she moved us into the lobby, seated us and had us fill in the paperwork ourselves (rather than waiting at the desk and them doing it). Once we filled it out, she gave us our wrist bands (which were yellow for the Bavaro side, we learned green was for Punta Cana side, and never figured out what Privileged, Ambar or Esmeralda were), and were given our room package (keys, welcome letter, etc.). We were told to go back to the front where our bags were and the bellman would take us to our room. We told him which bags were ours and our room number. He loaded our bags onto the trolley (kinda like a little bus) and wrote down our number. Along with us there were several other people he was delivering to their rooms. We got to the hotel during the day, so on our little ride to our room we got to see some of the resort, which was, like everyone says, HUGE.

We were in villa 29 room 29106, which is a main floor room and an outside room. Because we were there for our honeymoon they had a little banner on our door with some balloons, it was really cute. Our room was freshly cleaned, you could still smell the cleaning products, and it was really spacious. We had a king sized bed, lots of closet space, seating area, patio, and most importantly….lots of counter space in the bathroom  The basics of the room, we had great water pressure, the AC worked all the time (we did have trouble one day, it wouldn't kick in, turns out there is a sensor on the sliding door to the patio, if you don’t close the door all the way the AC doesn't turn on haha). We never had an issue with being too hot in our room. There’s no fan in the bathroom, which would have been nice but most places don’t.

Once in the room, the first order of business was getting the safe set up. I had read online that you have to pay for your safe here, but we were never asked during check in and I completely forgot about it. So we must have fought with the safe for a good 45 mins before we called the front desk and they sent someone to look at it. The guy came, took the whole thing apart, then asked if we had paid for it. hehe oops! They code your key card at the front desk so you use your key to set up the safe. What we should have done was after being checked in, before we went to our bags, was stop at the lobby desk and pay for the safe. Because we were already in our room, we didn't want to leave our valuables out, so we had to find our way back to the lobby to set up the safe. This took us a little while. We thought we remembered the way we came, but all the villas look the same, and even though there are signs everywhere, we still go turned around and ended up on the Punta Cana side, which looks just like Bavaro just backwards.

Villa 29 is about in the middle or everything. Outside our room if we went left, you ended up at Ambar, if we went right we were at Esmeralda, straight we were at the beach, back and we were at the Bavaro lobby (which is next to the Punta Cana lobby). Took us a few days to get our bearings but once we got it it was really easy to get around.

With the different coloured bracelets we learned that no one really “kicks you out” of anywhere (maybe on the beach, where they have the private areas for adults only), but as a Bavaro stayer, the Ambar bar would not serve us, and we saw a Punta Cana stayer get told they couldn't eat at our buffet they had to go to their own. But we were free to wonder around and check things out.

The Bavaro buffet was always satisfying. I don’t think I ever had a “great” meal there, but I never left hungry. There was always a lot of food to try! Lots of fruits, cheeses and breads. The omelets at breakfast are defiantly worth the wait if there is a line up. I tried to try something new at every meal. With our trip we were allowed to go to 3 a la carts. We booked these after our orientation our first day. Most things were booked, but don’t be upset if they only have later times. We had one at 9 one at 745 and one at 6. 9 was late because if we didn't like the food the buffet was closed. But 6 was too early because we felt rushed to get from the pool or beach to get ready for dinner. I really enjoyed the buffet part of the Mexican place but not the actual dinner. My husband really liked the BBQ place, which only had a buffet. And we both LOVED the Italian place both the buffet part and the dinner part. The hours of the buffet were pretty convenient. Each meal lasted about 3 hours. So if you were an early eater or late eater you wouldn't have a problem. And there are two snack bars at the beach for in between snacks (on the site map, 16 and 7).

During our orientation, which was the Saturday morning after we arrived, we learned who our Sunquest people were at the resort, where to go if we had any questions about getting back to the airport, what time we had to be in the lobby the day we left, and we were also able to book the excursions we wanted to do. We did the Zip lining and the Caribbean Festival which was a two half day deal that saved us about $90. Both outings were a lot of fun. The zip lining speaks for itself, the Caribbean Festival, we went on a big boat and went swimming with sting ray and shakes!! So fun.

Our first day there were didn't go to the pool and put out our towels in the morning, but after walking around and having lunch we went to the pool around 1 and we were able to find two chairs to lounge on. We did this a few days and didn't have a problem. There are a lot of people that go out very early and get the same spot every day, but with there being only two of us we weren't overly concerned. Worst case scenario we would have just thrown our towels down on the ground and got in the pool. We really enjoyed hanging out at the pool. We found that because the resort is so large, the beach is really busy. People were crammed next to each other under the little huts. Great way to meet people, but not as relaxing as you would think it would be. Really hectic. We enjoyed the pool closer to the Punta Cana side. If you were looking at the site map it would be the pool with 4. Hibiscus Pool Bar. It was quiet enough to read or tan, but still entertaining enough with the pool bar, entertainment and music. We met some really great people around the pool bar.

To get around the resort be prepared to do some walking. We walked pretty much everywhere, but there are always buses running. On each perimeter there is a bus route as well as through the middle. There are little bus stop huts long the route. Sometimes we waited at a stop as long as it would have taken us to walk. But if it was raining, or we had a few too many drinks at the pool  it was nice to just catch a ride.

The Tropicana Theater had entertainment every night. And two shows per night. There was a schedule posted outside so you knew what shows were playing when. The theater is located right between the Bavaro and Punta Cana lobby’s. We went to almost every show and they were all really entertaining. They give away awards to guest who won contests during the day between the shows also.

We didn't spend a lot of time at the beach. Two days we walked up and down the beach to take pictures and put our feet in the sand but the sand flies ate me alive. When we arrived back home, I counted over 60 bug bites on my legs. I didn't bring bug spray so I don’t know if that would have helped. And because of the size of the resort the beach was always really busy.

If you are looking at the site map, #14 is Pueblo Principe Town. This is where they have all the vendor’s selling trinkets. There are also shops there selling stuff. In the evening the Karaoke Sports bar opens up, as well as the disco and the casino. There is also the Photo Shop there, where you can pay and pick up your pictures that the resort takes of you with the monkey or parrots. When we stayed at a Breezes in Jamaica they had a photographer walking around the resort all day taking pictures of people, even in the evenings he would come to the a la carts and take pictures. It was annoying at times, but we also ended up with some really nice photos of our trip. They didn't do this at this resort. If they did I didn't see them. It would have been nice this time, because there was just the two of us most of my pictures are of him or me or selfies. We didn't end up with a lot of us together.

All in all we had an amazing honeymoon. We would definitely return to the Bahia Principe. Maybe next time we would upgrade and stay in a different section of the resort, maybe in the Premier section. We've been back for about a week now and still can’t stop talking about how much fun we had and how great the resort was. Thank you Grand Bahia Principe. We will be staying at the Bahia Principe Akumal Mexico in November. Can’t wait.

Room Tip: Bavaro Villa 29 room 29106 was perfect for us. It was right in the middle of the resort. Quick wal...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sherri R

Dear Sherri,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed and had fun at the pool, and also enjoyed the good food, and of course to know that you had a wonderful honeymoon. We sincerely appreciate this detailed review.

We would like to thank you for sharing your nice experience with others.

Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!