“Fabulous overall experience, LUV DR”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #63 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Overall excellent hotel, facilities, pools, beach, amenities, staff, bars and food - cannot go wrong with GBP - wonderful first experience in Dominican Republic
HOTEL: Big property, with 5 hotels, all built in low-profile bungalows (no building taller than the palm trees) - Bavaro side seemed to have more Europeans, Punta Cana side was full of Americans/Canadians, so pick your poison - mini buses zip around, but walking to beach from lobby is 10mins tops - the grounds are impeccable
STAFF: The Dominican people are absolutely lovely, always smiling, working hard, best hotel staff we've ever had in an all-inclusive - learn a few words of Spanish and smile back; they toil hard, long hours, and earn a fraction of what all of us in Europe/North America enjoy - a few tips are well-appreciated
POOLS, BEACH: All top-notch; worth it to B-line straight to beach or pool in AM to save chairs, they do fill up during busy season, but we never had a problem
FOOD: Perhaps the lone blight; food was very good, but not great - what they lack in quality, they make up for in quantity; buffets are plentiful and never-ending; themed restaurants are a wonderful touch - the French, Garden Grill, Japanese and Mediterranean restaurants we sampled were all very good for dinners - I came home 5lbs happier ;)
BARS: Plenty of bars everywhere; I've read a few complaints about service or drinks, but do not believe it ... I never had to wait more than 2mins tops for a drink - lone complaint is that the disco doesn't open until midnight - kind of late if you want to get up early to enjoy the beach
EXCURSIONS: We did the day trip to Saona island, highly recommended, though you can buy it on the beach to the street vendors for $20 cheaper than what you pay through the hotel
INTERNET: 1hr free in lobby wifi (and you can poach another hour by going to the other lobby), 20mins free in the Club Hacienda office; $49 for the week, $8/hour for fractional hours ... I was online quite a bit, and only had to buy two extra hours all week
SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX: They charge $4 a day, a rather dubious charge, but well worth it for piece of mind - we tried to hide our money the first night, and decided we'd feel like fools to risk having $600 stolen to save $20 ... in my experience, it's been other travelers who've stolen money out of my rooms, not staff
SHOWS: Not bad, Michael Jackson show is best; the circus is good as well - the dancers in the reviews are very talented ;)
ROOMS: Well worth the upgrade to Club Hacienda/Diamond for rooms closer to the beach, with beach towels and robes included, and access to beachfront restaurant for breakfast and lunch, so you do not have to trek back to lobby area buffet; "Golden" upgrade is even closer to beach; if you want posh, book at Amber or Esmeralda, we strolled through both and it's a step above in quality and ambiance - the Privilege area is VERY FAR from the beach at the far end of the hotel, at least 800m, would be a long 20min trek
OVERALL: Hard to understand some of the complaints about this place - everything was very good to excellent - don't be fooled by the perpetual complainers, this place is FAB - not five-star or luxurious, but very very very good

Room Tip: Well worth the upgrade to Club Hacienda/Diamond for rooms closer to the beach, with beach towels and...
2  Thank Andrew H
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Customer,

Firstly, thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro as the first time you came to Dominican Republic and for qualified us like a fabulous place ! We really appreciate your review and we thank you for your kind comments.

We are thrilled to know that you consider us like an excellent Resort and we would love for you to return in the near future at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2013

On November 24, 2013 we had a wedding at the Jellyfish restaurant in Punta Cana. My (now) husband and I, along with our 60 guests, stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro for a total of 12 nights:

After visiting Punta Cana last year, and doing a thorough scouting of resorts, we decided on Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We originally picked it based on price, and after visiting we found that it had the best (and cleanest) beach. Other resorts that we considered were: Melia (very dirty beach, but very convenient as close to the Jellyfish), Dreams Punta Cana (way too far), Paradisus (very nice, but too pricey for our guests), Dreams Palm Beach (very nice but we felt that it was a bit too small). Having a great beach was very important to us, as a lot of our friends and family were traveling very long distances (from Europe, Russia, and Lithuania), and we wanted to make sure that they are not disappointed. The resort seemed overwhelming at first, as it is HUGE. We had 60 guests, and we did a room block through a travel agent. We weren’t placed exactly in the same building, but we were all relatively close together. We were staying at the furthest part from the beach, but close to the restaurants. At first I was a bit concerned that it’s so massive and that we’re so far away, but we quickly realized that everyone hung out at the same places – same place on the beach every day, same place by the pool. So after a couple of days after everyone arrived and got settled, it was actually not that difficult to find one another. And once everyone was at the beach, there was really no reason to go back to the hotel. There were restaurants out there also, so we only went back to the rooms to rest, shower, and get ready for the evening. Plus, the little trolleys go back and forth throughout the resort every couple of minutes. We never had to wait for a ride, it always seemed like there was one already waiting to pick us up.
The rooms at the resort are standard, nothing special. The food is very average, but I have found that in every AI resort that I have been to in Punta Cana, the food is definitely not the strongest point. The pools were excellent and clean, the territory and the grounds are immaculately kept. The service was good – sometimes on “island time”, but who wants to rush when you’re on vacation? And the beach – amazing! So many waves, and no seaweed at all. The water was perfect and turquoise color, just what we wanted. So overall, I would definitely recommend this resort, especially to couples who are looking to make the trip affordable for their guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra to be closer to the beach. Getting on a little trolley is not a big de...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank anya1114

Dear Anya,

We are proud to read that you were satisfied with our services and even more, we are delighted to know that we had the honor of welcoming you and your husband along with your guests to celebrate such an important event as it is your wedding. Thank you very much for highlighted our excellent beach and clean pool.

In the meantime we wish you all the best!!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream wedding in the Caribbean.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have nothing but good to say about this hotel. The employees were extremely polite and helpful. Allot of them didn't speak very good english, but i was okay with that.... They tried their best to understand and help me. The way i figure it ... I am a guest in their country and i should attempt to learn their language before i get there.. The room was clean and if i needed anything i just let either the housekeeper or butler know and the would take care of it. There were so many restaurants on the property to choose from and we never had a bad experience at any of them. I normally don't like to go stay somewhere i've been before, but i'm going to make an exception on this one. From beginning to end this truly was an excellent experience and i recommend it to anyone. I'm really looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel.
2  Thank Gwen S
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Gwen S,

We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff members. We are proud to read that we were able to contribute in creating you a memorable experience.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Kindest regards from the Dominican Republic!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I went with a group of 8. Each couple booked separate so when we checked in we were all over the resort. My husband and I booked in the Hacienda Club. Check in is in it's own separate spot, but no one told us where to go so when we went to the main check in we were told we didn't have a reservation and the hotel was full. After several minutes of freaking out, one of the ppl at the desk told us we were at the wrong check in. I can't believe that if you don't know what to do, you can count on the fact that neither do the people at the service desk. With Hacienda Club you do get to have a room up by the pool and beach which was great, but the air and electric only works if you leave a key card in this front spot when you come in your room and we were not told about it. We had two warm beers and 3 warm bottles of pop in the fridge. All of this was very frustrating, but we were ok because we had so much fun in the pool.

My biggest complaint was the wrist bands. We had purple, one couple had white (they stayed in Ambar) and the other two couples had orange. They orange wrist bands where not allowed in the main buffet for dinner. And some restaurants only allow white wrist bands. Plus if you want to make reservations for your group, the ppl in the room closest to the beach are the only ones allowed to make reservations. I didn't understand all the stupid rules. It felt like a class system, but one that no one understood until they got chased out of a restaurant for not having the correct wrist band or you got yelled at for going to the wrong service counter.

This was my first trip out of the country and probably my last. I think I'll stick with Florida and California from now on. If I do decide to go our of country again, I will never go to the DR.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Burklebees

Dear Guest,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.
We are glad to find out that there were some aspects you find worth to mention, especially our perfect pool and beach.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have nothing to claim about this hotel. Everything is just as it should be. Great food, great service and a very friendly staff! I will come back. The rooms are cleaned everyday. Had the best vacation. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: November 2013
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Diana H,

In Bahia Principe Hotel & Resorts we are passionate in serving and exceeding the expectations of our guests. We would like to thank you for acknowledging our outstanding
food, great service and very friendly staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again and offer you a lovely stay in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was supposed to be a relaxing vacation, but it ended up being five days of frustration. Few of the staff spoke fluent English, but everyone pretended to. They would say "yes" to anything asked, but after two days I realized that asking a second time would always get the answer "no". A few of the MANY examples:

-The hotel advertises yoga classes, but they are not available to people staying at this hotel.

-It took 5 requests over the course of 2 days to get a light bulb fixed in my room.

-It took 6 calls to the front desk to get robes for the room (they were supposed to be there).

-People at guest services refused to help me because they said I was booked in a different resort, and didn't believe me when I showed them that I was booked into this resort. I went back an hour later and someone helped me with no problem.

-The door to my balcony was off its track and wouldn't lock; no one was able to fix it during my 5 day stay.

-The voicemail system in my room didn't work; when I complained, they blamed the people trying to leave me messages.

-Some employees at the towel huts were too busy socializing and told customers to go away without helping them.

-Keys stopped working for my room door. I told the front desk and was told the door was broken. I said that it was just my cards, that a cleaning person let me into my room. I was told I was lying and that wasn't possible. I went to another front desk person, he gave me new keys, and they worked.

-Restaurants were good, but they had very few (like 2-4) copies of English menus.

-Employees in stores were rude to customers.

On the plus side, the beach was pretty (when not too windy to sit there), the landscaping was nice, and the food was decent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank michelle j

Dear Michelle,

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to and for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We regret for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. Please allow us to inform you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

We really hope you consider coming back to any of our Hotel and enjoy all our facilities and services.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed in a standard room in the middle of the bavaro hotel part (bloc 77). The room was very clean, spacious and very well equipped. Between lobby and beach, both are very easy to reach with the shuttle as the resort is very wide.Big choice of good food in the buffet but should be warmer ! Very clean everywhere, even on the beach. it was for us a very nice holiday trip;

Dear Jacky,

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service. It is wonderful to know that you had a very nice trip enjoying our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Cordial greetings!