“Great Getaway”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #63 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The resort was clean and the majority of staff we more than pleased to help. The only place we found service to be lacking was in the dining room. We often had to wait for our water glasses to be filled - 5-10min- and they would not be re-filled for the rest of the meal.

Everything else about the hotel was everything you would wish for, the maids were thorough and when they were asked they overstock your mini fridge. The rooms were clean and spacious. We stayed in a junior suite.

The pools were great. We stayed mostly at the quieter pool. The other two pools have activities throughout the day. Beach was sandy and there was a volleyball net up for anyone who wanted to play.

We enjoyed the BBQ restaurant and the group who went with us also enjoyed this restaurant above the others we went to.

We enjoyed the experience of a market place from the traveling market that comes to the resort. We enjoyed haggling with the vendors and many items that were being sold were beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank ntjb
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed a great getaway in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and a big pleasure to read that you acknowledge our restaurants,great quiet pool and our clean spacious rooms.

Please rest assured that here your observations have been taken into great considerations to analyze the points you mentioned.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (10,807)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked this resort with Thomas Cook and from they very beginning of the booking, the service was impeccable, it was actually a Thomas Cook representative that reccomended the Dominican Republic as i had never been to the Carribean before.Upon arrival, the Bell boys took care of our luggage, we were escorted to another room, provided with cocktails, wristbands and information about the resort. Leanne was our Thomas Cook representative and she was brilliant, she was always willing to help and took care of organising our excursions, she also had brilliant local knowledge and was able to provide advice on whether excursions were suitable for children which was great as I was travelling with my six year old. The Resort had a water park which was great for little children, although you needed to be a bit careful as there were quite a lot of bee's around the drinks area, there was also a spa where both my partner and I indulged in a couples massage, whilst our little one was at Kids club. The massage was absolutely fantastic!! The grounds were wonderfully maintained and they had a good choice of Restuarents, the Japanese was the best, as the Chef cooks the food in front of you and the Garden Grill was also fab. The beach was also fantastic, white sandy beaches and the sea was amazing. The staff at the hotel work exceptionally hard and are very friendly nothing was too much, Andrea was the maid for room 76201 although she spoke little English she was fantastic and always ensured that the room was lovely for us. Both Kathy and Stephany who worked within the Buffet Restuarents were lovely, they always had a smile on their face and would bend over backwards to help with anything. The excursions were great, we went to Soamona Islands, which is on the Caribbean Sea, played with the star fish and had lunch on the beach. The entertainment getting both to and from the Island was great and everybody had a wonderful time. We had some pictures taken by a professional photographer and they are beautiful. We also played with the Dolphins watched a parrot show and went on the Mega Truck tour again this was brilliant. During the Mega Truck excursions we went up to the Mountains, had a short horse ride through the mountains and visited a river and a school before heading to the beach. There were a couple of things that could be approved upon, the beds in the hotel rooms were very hard and the decor within the rooms are a bit dated. I was expecting a bit more for a 5 star hotel. In addition my daughter cut her foot in the swimming pool and no one noticed but to be fair I did not bring it to anyone's attention so parents do need to take care with little ones within / around the pool area. Also beware of the individuals that try to sell you timeshares, I spent two hours of my holiday that I could never get back, plus the individual that tried to sell the timeshare became very aggressive when I stated that I wanted to conduct further research into the offer. Biggest tip that I can provide you is NOT TO go to these presentations full stop. Other than that, it was a perfect holiday, made even better by the service that we received from the employees of the Gran Bahia Hotel. I was very skeptical about staying within the Hotel as I read a number of negative reviews but I had a brilliant holiday and I would definitely be going back to the DR. Thank you to Thomas Cook for their impeccable service and to the Grand Bahia for welcoming us and ensuring that we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Try ant get your rooms upgraded or stay in the Esmeralda part of the hotel as these rooms are fairly...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dulcy M
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro as your holidays destination. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff, especially Kathy and Stephany , who will be very happy to learn that they were able to contribute in creating a brilliant stay for you.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at GBP end of August for 2 weeks, it's our 5th time, we had a couple of issue's, so we spoke to the manager, who is fantastic, she listened, and went out of her way, and I mean totally looked after us, upgraded us to 5* VIP, it meant we could go and do anything we wanted in any of the hotels, we even had our own waiter in the lobby, so please if you have any problems, speak up !!! Manuela is the manager , GBP have got a really good talent there.

1. If the workers don't smile or respond, it's because there really busy, not that they are ignorant at all, we didn't come across 1 worker that wasn't helpful at ALL, maybe if YOU are polite they will be polite back.
2. The grounds, beach, everywhere is immaculate , it's clean, the rooms are spotless, the maids go out of there way to help, don't forget they work from early till very late, give them some respect, they get paid peanuts compared to me and you .
3.to answer a previous persons comment, they to fumigate every night , they have there own team of specialists who do this FACT.
4. The buffet is different every night , lots of choices to be had, maybe if you tried a different dish every night instead of everything on the first night it may help. The a la carte's are outstanding, especially in esmarelda.

I would like to thank manuela and her team at GBP for everything she did for us, we will be booking ASAP to go back early nxt year, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, please don't listen to bad feedback, it's all rubbish .

We will be in contact soon manuela, many thx

The BUDDS & REDMAN lol

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Theredman-clan

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay in August in our hotel. It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro again to experience the hospitality of our people and the quality of our services and facilities.

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Kind greetings,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ignore anyone who slates this hotel. People who sweat at bus stops...it could be cause its hot! People who say about the language barrier.... There wasn't any, the staff were fantastically talented at communicating in most languages. People who say the food was bad have something wrong with their taste buds. Some people are born to complain... Get a life. This hotel was immaculate. The staff bent over backwards for you, every one of the staff from the gardeners and cleaners up to managers were genuinely happy at their work and were also passionate about it. The pools, bars and lobby were kept immaculate, the bedrooms were cleaned perfectly every day and the mini bars topped up. The entertainment by the pool and on a night time was brilliant and great fun. The restaurants served excellent food and the waiters kept our wine topped up. The buses ran regularly from the top of the lobby end of the site to the beach but we chose to walk most of the time which took five to ten minutes. Please believe me and book this place for your next holiday and you will realize what a load of rubbish the negative people on this site are talking.

Room Tip: When you book try and get the hacienda rooms, they are closer to the beach and have there own little...
1  Thank irons70

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed of a fantastic holiday thanks to our rich gastronomy as well as the good service from our employees. At Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

It would be an honor to cater to you once again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two week holiday here 3-17 Sept, traveling with Thomas Cook. We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary and my birthday here, which was great. On arrival we were taken to a room with everyone who had just arrived on the two coaches provided from the airport, we were given cocktails and our room keys/towel cards and a map of the resort. We were upgraded to Club Diamond (purple bands) The bellboys then transported us and our luggage to our room which was right up near the beach in villa 20.

The room was very spacious with two four-poster beds, mini-bar (beer/soft drinks) and jacuzzi bath/shower, robes and slippers were also a lovely touch. Our pool towels were already in our room so we didn't need to hunt for them on our first day. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels.

The complex is massive, probably the biggest I've stayed on, but it is spotless, the gardens are beautifully kept and they work their socks off, but they always have a smile on their faces, singing away and most of them always said Hola when passing. There is lots of noddy trains to take you around the complex as it was quite a long walk to the other end of the resort where the lobby was. Here you could get wi-fi and we enjoyed the lobby bar and the great cocktails they served here.

The food in the buffet restaurant was OK, always something to suit everyone, the desserts were amazing. We only used it a few times for dinner, we ate at the Santa Fe for breakfast every morning and lunchtimes we used the snack bar by the beach/pool, which was lovely. We had 4 Al la carte's per week, where we had the Garden Grill twice, Santa Fe (Mexican) twice, Japanese, Italian and BBQ grill. My favorite was the Japanese, the food was cooked in front of you at the table, which was great fun, tried sushi for the 1st time, it was lush.

The beach was paradise for me, the softest white sand ever, turquoise warm sea, slightly choppy at times but absolutely fine, I enjoyed floating around on my lilo which I took with me. They do have vendors on the beach selling souvenirs, but they do take no for an answer and don't bother you. We always managed to get beds with parasols, people do seem to put towels down but not as early as I have experienced before, there were still plenty of beds at 9/10am.

The pools were lovely, all had swim up bars, the main pool on the beach got quite loud during the afternoons with drinking games and loud music, there are other quieter pools that just play background music at the bar. We used the quiet pool a couple of times but we mainly spent our time at the beach.

We personally thought the staff were wonderful, always happy and we had a joke around with some of them, especially in the Santa Fe at breakfast where one of the waitresses taught me some Spanish, I now want to learn the language :)

I would recommend you take strong mosquito sprays that have at least 20% deet in it, the EYE wristbands are also extremely good, although we weren't too bad, there were many people that had quite a few bites on their legs. We took citronella oil with us and put that on our legs and arms before we went out in the evenings.

We didn't do any of the trips this time as we visited the Dom Rep 5 years ago and did The Dolphins and Monster Trucks then, which were fabulous.

We personally cannot fault this hotel, we were a bit skeptical before we came out here as we read quite a few negative reviews, don't always take too much notice of other people's bad comments and experiences, we loved it, and will definitely be returning here in the future.

Thank-you for making our holiday an enjoyable 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Higher floor, try and get Hacienda Diamond
1  Thank saintsfanengland

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, we would like to thank you for your positive comments and for taking the time to share your impressions on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro for your first year anniversary and birthday destination. We feel proud to read that we have provided you an absolutely fantastic celebration.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our all-inclusive program and to learn that we were able to achieve your expectations.

It will be an honor to welcome you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Maybe its because i stayed at the Bahia Principe Coba in the mayan Riviera, and the bar was set pretty high, but i found the experience this time a little lacking. Not to take anything away from Dominican Republic itself, which is beautiful, but from the resort itself. Perhaps it was the time of year? June 2013. Who knows. But for one, the staff seemed a little "tired" so to speak. not quite as friendly and outgoing as i have seen in the past. A little to bored with it all. If you have kids...Great place. Plenty of kid friendly things to do. Neat childrens pool, water slide, mini golf, archery, biking etc. Which brings me to my second issue. TOO MANY KIDS. Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against children. Just inattentive parents i guess. When its 11 o clock, and kids are literally full out sprinting around tables and chairs with no parents in sight while knocking things over, kinda killed the experience for me. 14 days and nights of this. No exaggeration..
Honestly, other than feeling like i was at a 5-10 year old daycare, which probably soured my mood, i can say that the resort was clean, the beach was stunning, and the jungle tours were awesome, and the "party" pool was very entertaining.
Im Done.
Dont forget to try the Mama Juana!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay. Your feedback is appreciated and we will use it to our advantage to improve our staff and facilities.

We would gladly like to welcome you back to any of our resorts in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Mexico & Spain. So we can go beyond your expectations!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Sep 3-17. English couple aged 22

We travelled with Thomas cook and once arriving at the hotel we were treated so good. We were given cocktails in a separate room as there was many of us arriving from Thomas cook. This made check in easy as they had already allocated rooms to us and just had to fill in some information. We were given our wrist bands and the bell boys took our bags and us to our room.

We stayed in block 76 in 76304 which was on the third floor fairly near to the lobby which we were happy about. The room itself is lovely. We ended up with two double beds, and jacuzzi bath was brilliant. There is a mini fridge in the room with a few beers and cold drinks the maid restocked them when they were used. We slept well but the bed is pretty hard. The maid was lovely too and the room was always clean and no bugs! We gave her a tip at the end of our trip. We didn't use a lock just placed stuff in my hand baggaged locked it up then placed in in our suitcase with a coded lock. We had no problems. But be safe with your money!

The resort is huge but beautiful. But we didn't mind walking everywhere, but we did take the small buses that run throughout the resort every few minutes. The grounds are beautiful no denying it. The beach is gorgeous! There are venders which I was a bit worried about before we went but once you say no their fine and rarely bothered you. The sea was always fun, it's where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean and sometime can be a bit rough but the waves were really fun. There is a shipwreck on the beach with is cool, we rented out the kayaks and went for a closer look, that was fun. It is included but you have to book in advance we booked only an hour before we did it. You book this at the right of the beach near Esmeralda We didn't see any fish but saw plenty of people snorkelling.

The main pool we stayed near the part with the swim up bar, it's great to just go have your drink in the water. The two quieter pools had swim up bars too but only went to the other pool once. They do activities such as water aerobics and water volley ball which was fun. My advice is take a water camera, it's so much better getting pictures under the water.

We can't really say much bad about the food apart from we didn't really enjoy the breakfast that much, but there is plenty of selection, such as fruit, bagels, doughnuts, pancakes and then hot food. But no where near as good as an English breakfast! The beans are the worst but don't know if it's local all not. For lunch time we mainly ate around the snack bar by the main pool/beach. They usually had the same selections but always nice! Eg chips (French fries) burgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken, spaghetti, pasta etc. and also fruits and cakes. The dinner was the best, they always had theme nights. Sunday is the best as its American night. They always have some similar stuff every night which is what they have for lunch but also different soups, meats and different food for the themes. Eg Mexican night has fajitas. One day the pork was cold but that's the only bad thing we encountered. Staff are always waiting to take your order of drinks and bring them over quickly. The desserts were great always a good selection, my boyfriend loved the deserts too much his eyes were as big as his belly lol!

Every single staff member was always friendly and always said hello to us. The hotel lobby by the main restaurant has free wifi so we used this when waiting for our meals.

Excursions
Dolphin explorer - absolutely 10 out of 10 we did the excellence package which was well worth the money 195 dollars per person and then to get the photos it's 110 dollars for a group of 2 it goes up if there is more than you. The staff were great but was our only rainy day which was a bit crap but we were getting wet anyway so nevermind it was the best day of whole trip. A must do
Mega trucks - we had dannyboy as our tour guide he was amazing. Really funny and informative. Did a little horse riding trip with this, also got to see the country side, a dominican horse and visited a school. A must do if you wanna do the real dominican
Saona island - beautiful day the Catamaran was loads of fun and offer plenty of drinks. We had a massage on the beach and relaxed on this beautiful Caribbean island. Was amazing and beautiful a must do too!

Advice
Take plenty of sun cream start higher then go lower, take an underwater camera, and make sure to take mosquito repellent or buy the local Off as I got bitten quite a lot before I got it.

We loved this holiday and would recommend this hotel to anyone! Seriously, we can't say anything negative about it! Thanks bahia principe for having us!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floor just a bit safer!
1  Thank Laurax14
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Laura,

We are very glad to know that you had a lovely vacation with us in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. Thank you so much for your nice comments and for highlighting our good food, polite staff, beautiful beach, and the gorgeous maintained premises.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.