“A Great Getaway - no regrets”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Canada
“A Great Getaway - no regrets”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Bahia Principe Bavaro from March 21 to March 28, 2013.

Before I decided to book this resort I checked trip adviser and other reports to see what others had to say. Of course, no matter how good a hotel might be there will always be detractors. I saw some of the reviews that complained about bugs, poor quality food, unfriendly staff, etc. I saw none of that while we were there. I came to two possible conclusions about these unflattering reports. Either the management read these reports and corrected the deficiencies promptly or the people writing the unflattering reports were being less than truthful. Whatever the case may be - we had a wonderful time.

Having said that, it did not exceed my expectations. The hotel rates itself as 5 star but it is a 3 star verging on 4 by North American standards. The hotel is safe, exceptionally clean and the food very decent and well prepared. It is a large facility and I tip my hat to the staff and management for running such a fine operation. The Dominican people are hard workers and, for the most part, very friendly. Everywhere you go at the resort there are workers painting, dusting fans, trimming the gardens, cleaning the roads. Walking by one of the closed pools at night time I could smell the chlorine disinfectant the workers were using to clean the pool surfaces, furniture, etc. Cleanliness, on a level we have come to expect here in Canada, is very much in evidence at this establishment.

On the negative side, and very minor at that, there are a few things the hotel could do to boost their ratings. The room upkeep was middle of the road. When we first arrived we decided to tip high ($5 per day) and stay that way for the duration. By Day 3 we stopped tipping altogether. The maid service left us with no towels on one day and on another flung a few towels unceremoniously up on the rack over the tub. Other little indicators like the soap dish never being cleaned pointed to a staff who were doing a less than stellar job. Please don't misunderstand - the room was clean and besides having to hunt down towels for the room I wasn't upset. It's just that these little things could have made for a better experience, the maids would have gotten $5 tip per day and I'd be singing their praises. Management might want to consider increased supervision - a supervisor with a checklist perhaps.

The other area that could use improvement is the way the food situation is handled. The food is safe, clean, well cooked - no complaints there. What I found a bit disappointing were the theme restaurants. Whether it was the Japanese, Mexican or Spanish restaurants - they all seemed to have the same food, desserts, appetizers. I actually enjoyed the main buffet restaurant more because you could pick and choose from a complete variety. If I can make a suggestion to the food services folks - I actually enjoyed the Dominican food theme night the best. The indigenous Dominican dishes were tasty and interesting and I picked a few new favourites while I was there (ie. the Casava, garlic and meat dish was one I liked!). People do best what comes naturally to them and I appreciated the flavours and textures of Dominican cooking - bravo!

So, in the end, a great vacation. Clean, safe, friendly. I would certainly recommend it to anyone. It's a large complex and there were about 7000 people while we were there. That might not be appealing to some folks but it didn't put me off too much. There are vendors on the beach and parts of the complex but they are generally polite and respectful. There are a few challenges management could address to make it a better facility but none of these should seriously detract from you having a great time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Russ W
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed a great getaway and to read that you acknowledged the friendliness of the Dominican people.

Please be assured that your observations have been share with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Kind regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,221)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
bucharest
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I `ve stayed in this hotel in september 2010, had no problem with it at all. All staff was great, the food was plenty and tasteful ( except for snacks on the beach , i think that was leftovers :) ) , mini buses throughout the resort, great a la carte, clean pools, nice beach and good entertainment.
I really have nothing to complain about this resort, it was memorable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Constantin,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our great staff, plenty food, great a la carte, clean pools, nice beach, and good entertainment.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro and continue providing the most memorable experiences.

Best regards,

Lincoln, NE
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro for our honeymoon the first week of March. Here is an honest review of our stay and we went into it knowing about all the negatives in the reviews and gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Check in: We arrived later in the afternoon (around 5pm) and not many were checking in at that time so we were able to check in fairly quickly. However, we did not find the front guest attendants to be helpful. We were not offered a beverage at check in which I had read about in other reviews and experienced last year while in Mexico. We were told nothing about meeting with our United Vacations representative (luckily, he called our room on our second day to set up a time to meet). We were not told which buffets we could/could not use, etc. We were just shuffled to our room. The bus ride to the resort isn't terribly long -- maybe 30 minutes? It's interesting to see the country on your ride.

Room: We were in building 33, room 33206. This particular building is very close to the pool area and about half way to the ocean and half way to the lobby. Our room overlooked the street but we did not have any noise complaints from the trams or people going by. We did find the key card to initiate power to be interesting. It worked fine for us, thankfully. We didn’t have any issues with our key card not working or the ac not working. However, I can’t imagine the power going out every day is good for your refrigerator products – beer and soda going from warm, cold, warm, cold daily?? We did find water to be a problem on the bathroom floor after showering. No matter how careful we were, it always seemed to splash out. One day we did not receive bath towels so we just used the pool towels to make due. I did bring two old washcloths from home that we used throughout the week as the hotel does not provide you with any. I just left them there after our stay. Our room had a king size bed and we found it to be pretty comfortable. We did make use of the extra pillow in the closet as the pillows are not the best. Since it was our honeymoon, the maid had our room decorated in balloons, a towel heart and a gift bag with T-shirts upon our arrival. Nice touch. We did not use the in-room safe but instead took a chance and hid our valuables in strategic places around the room – under the desk, under the couch, etc. It worked! I thought paying for a safe was ridiculous and they should be offered at no cost to guests. There doesn’t seem to be any ocean view rooms for either the Bavaro or the Punta Cana guests. We did have something slipped under our door regarding a free gift one day but we just ignored it having read other reviews about it being a pressurized meeting to see the other parts of the resort and “buy into them”. We skipped it – our vacation time is too precious!

Food/Drink: Before our arrival, I did make a point to email the hotel and make reservations. We were only allowed two reservations for our five night/six day stay. However, some people that we met while at the resort said they slipped the front door staff some money at a couple different restaurants and were able to get in no problem. We reserved at the Maiko Japanese Restaurant and the Gourmet Grill. To our surprise, they did have our reservations in the computer! What we were not told is that you need to have a “receipt” from Guest Services for your reservation, something to remember if you pre-book via email. The Japanese restaurant food was good. It definitely was not the hibachi show we are used to here in the U.S. The Gourmet Grill was our favorite. Started out with buffet style salad bar and appetizers and then we could pick off the menu. My husband and I each had the tenderloin which was VERY good and then we also shared the shrimp skewer. The buffets were also ok, nothing fantastic but we always left full. I brought some crushed red pepper packets along to spice the food up a bit. It helped! The only buffet you can eat at as a Bavaro guest is at the main lobby. There are a couple pool side buffets open during the day that you can eat lunch at but breakfast and dinner are always at the main lobby buffet. Something no one told us upon check-in. We brought our insulated mugs along and highly recommend doing so since the drink cups are so small! We try to get our money’s worth from the drinks. However, we found the frozen concoctions very disappointing. They have the right idea by having the frozen drinks in the slush machines and not having to make each and every one all the time but the drinks lose their icy consistency and you end up with instead of a pina colada something that more so resembles coconut milk. It was definitely better some places on the resort than others – the lobby bar seemed to have it mastered. The pool bars, not so much. We liked the Coco Loco! The staff that worked the bars was never horribly friendly and seems like we’d wait for a long time for a drink before we were even acknowledged. A smile and acknowledgement go a long way even if you are busy. Something did make me somewhat ill a couple days. Not sure if it was the food, drink, sun or mix of all.

Pool/Beach: The beach is beautiful at the resort. The sand, the water, everything. It is true that both places – the pool and beach – that you do need to reserve a chair early. We never had too hard of a time finding two chairs together thankfully but I can see where later in the day it might be a problem. And, some chairs would be reserved for the majority of the day and no one would ever show up. That isn’t fair but not sure what you can do about it. The chairs are not the most comfy either. The fabric doesn’t let the chair lay flat so to get sun on your rearside is a challenge. In the afternoon, the beach does get pretty shady because of the palm trees. And, most of the time the beach is windier and cooler than the pool area. We found the beach to be very clean. An expected amount of seaweed, no shells though. There are numerous resorts on Bavaro beach so people are constantly walking up and down which makes for good people watching. In 10 minutes, we counted about 100 people so lots of traffic! If you walk about 30 minutes to the right (if facing the ocean) of the Grand Bahia past the Rio and the Iberostar, you get to these little beachside shops. Literally, the water almost washes into the little huts. The people that work these shops are VERY aggressive but you have to be firm and not get sidetracked. It is neat to not only see the shops but to see the other resorts as well. We wanted a plate that had a Dominican style house painted on it. I had only grabbed $10 from my beach bag before our walk so that was literally ALL we had with us. We found a plate we liked and were told it was $35. We were not trying to hassle them. We just said “ok, we only have $10” and put the plate back on the wall. After a couple minutes, the man told us $10 was fine which we were grateful.

Grounds/Resort: We thought the grounds of the resort were very immaculate and well groomed. We didn’t mind the walk to the lobby or the beach but occasionally took the tram when we had our hands full or our feet were tired. The lobby did have free Wifi but it was a pain to access. We had to have guest services or the front desk help us. We did experience lots of smokers. Not the resorts fault but just people that have no respect for others around them. I had read about bug bites but we never experienced any. Just to be safe, we did spray ourselves down with bug spray each night before heading out.

Entertainment: We went to the theatre almost every night and enjoyed all the shows. They work very hard, you can tell. We really enjoyed the Michael Jackson Show. We went to the Disco one night and it was horribly loud and music we didn’t care for so we didn’t stay long. The “piano bar” is a joke. Karaoke happens there in the evening but when we were there, not many sang. It is not the usual piano bar we are used to at home. The casino is privately owned so you have to purchase drinks here and cannot bring in your own.

Excursions: We did one excursion on our trip. The Bavaro Runners which was recommended to us by our United Vacations representative. I had wanted to do the Safari Adventures as they are #1 on Trip Advisor but we were talked into the Bavaro Runners. See my review under Bavaro Runners for further details!

If you have any questions, send me a message! I’d be happy to answer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CBlazek
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your honeymoon destination. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Truro, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just returned from 8 day stay , four in our party. had a great vacation. The staff were very good, and very helpful. We had the diamond club and enjoyed all the extras. we would like to thank Andy from the diamond club very good service. as well we stayed in # 26 room 289 and 290 and our staff were very nice and had excellent service from her. Our room were very clean and we enjoyed our stay in this buliding. Our food choices of alcarts we very good and had excellent services from the staff.

Room Tip: book with the diamond service.
1 Thank randy w
Dear Randy,

It is pleasure to read that you enjoyed all the extras in our Diamond Club. We are proud to hear that you had a great stay due to the helpfulness of our staff members, especially from the service provided by Andy.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Always at your disposal,

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

we travel often and found that West jet and the grand Baha'i Principe bavaro is the perfect choice for people with walking problems. Specifically, if you ask for
assistance, it is readily available including assistance from check in to the aircraft at the beginning and end of the trip and getting around the resort by trolley or to the restaurants by golf cart. We extend special thanks to the West jet staff. They were amazing. Also the staff of the hotel were most helpful.

This resort is huge, but as such has something for everyone. The buffet is very good with lots of choice. We found the Japanese and Gourmet restaurants to be excellent.

Our room was fresh and clean and it was on the main level in a central location just as requested.

The beach is very busy so if you want a good view of the water go early.

The wine in the restaurants is very good. The white wine in the buffet is very drinkable. The red wine in the buffet is light in body and is similar to a Gamay.

We would recommend this resort as very good value for money.

ssistance

Room Tip: Central location near the trolley.
Dear Robert,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for mentioning our helpful staff, gastronomic vary in the buffet, fresh room, and very good wine in restaurants.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Kindest regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Pros:A beautiful well kept resort with amazing beaches....The staff is amazing as they great you with a nice refreshing drink upon checking in. The lobby is spacious and refreshments are available. The staff is superb. I enjoyed the shows that they have its a must see. Alcohol isnt watered down. Food choices are amazing with lots of options

Cons: Property is just a tad to large for my liking you must take a tram to get to a lot of places with in the resort Free Wifi only available in main lobby otherwise you can pay to access it in your. room. The pools close at 6pm which is quite early. Went to one of the restaurants and waited over 30mins for our meal had to ask several times about it, it wasn't a busy night at El Mesón.

Overall i would stay here again, even though it is a little big I like it a lot.

Room Tip: Choose a Villa close to the pool and the beach. Depending on who you work with you may just get a ro...
3 Thank Liz H
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Liz,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our well-kept resort, amazing beach, spacious lobbies, superb staff, enjoyable shows, and amazing food choices.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection in Dominican Republic, Mexico or Jamaica, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Regards from Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned from a week stay at this hotel. My husband and I were there from March 17th-24th. Weather was amazing the whole time. No rain at all; it often looked like it might be cloudy but the clouds passed quickly. Don't listen to the negative reviews about this hotel. We honestly have nothing to complain about. Yes the resort is very large but the trolley helps with this. We stayed in building 73 so we were in the middle of the beach and the lobby which is where the buffet is. It took about 5 mins to walk to the beach and about the same time to walk to the lobby if you chose not to take the trolley. We went to lobby every night after supper and had drinks there. The anamation staff are there teaching people how to do different dances or to simply dance with you if that's what you want to do. All in all we had a great vacation and would definitely return to this resort!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Atlir
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Kind regards,

Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!