“I will go back”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #63 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you want to get away from the cold and snow for a week or 2, this is where you want to go. Great people, fantastic food and drink and the service is #1. You also want to take a day to just walk around and enjoy just how beautiful this place is. So clean and well maintained. As I told our hostess at the buffet restaurant when went for our last breakfast "I do not want to leave". I enjoyed every moment I spent here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gerry L
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro.

It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you an unforgettable experience, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Thanks for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our first time to Dominican. We usually stay at a very nice resort in Cancun (The Royal).

Pros: Beautiful beach and water, many swimming pools, great food, overall friendly staff.

Cons: Resort is way too big, our room ceiling fan was very noisy and squeaky, the bed was supposedly pillow-top but was very old and hard, felt like I was sleeping at a old super 8, bathroom had a "jacuzzi tub" only big enough for one person, tried to fill up the tub one night to use it bc my back hurt so bad from the bed but it took over an hour to get one inch of water in the tub bec the plug wouldnt hold any water tight so I gave up and showered instead. The "mini-bar" in the room was in a luke warm fridge and we were only given 2 beers a day. You had to leave a room key inside a switch in your room to keep the air or fan on in your room. If you take the key out- the lights do not function nor the cooling. My husbands cell phone got stolen from our room the second to last day we were there while we were on a sailing excursion all day. The resort investigated it but in the end were not able to help get it back. Even though there was proof that the only person that entered the room while we were gone was the maid. USE THE SAFE! We didnt think going to a 5 star resort and for the money we paid that we would have to worry about locking up a cell phone in the safe that we had to pay for! Money and credit cards I understand, but a phone? Oh and the TV was a very small old school tube TV! And most channels spoke in spanish! Free Wi-Fi in lobby only never worked for us, only had 4 nights of reservations for the ala carte restaurants the rest of the nights we had to eat at the buffett, rooms not sound proofed well- could hear everything going on outside. Balcony only looked at nothing bc palm branches in the way. Room seemed very dirty! bathrooms by pool always very dirty and unkept even though there was always a cleaning lady in there. No rest rooms by the beach!

Over all we paid A LOT of money to stay at a 2 star resort!

1  Thank HollyLT

Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments in regards to your experience during your last stay with us.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

For your information, all our personnel is well checked every time they are coming in or getting out of the Hotel, as there is a specific staff entrance. In fact they are not authorized to get in or out any bag, object or valuables, in order to avoid items to be taken away. Please be advised that our Security Department operates 24/7 in order to guarantee the security and the well-being of our distinguished customers.

In relation to your opinion about the cleanliness of our premises, let us state that we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our top priorities.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially our beautiful beach, great food, and friendly staff.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed the week of Feb 11-18, 2013. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Bavaro part of the resort. It was great. It had it’s own snack bar, pool, swim up bar and buffet. It was in a great location. Right beside the shopping area, near entertainment, casino and close to the mini putt and trampoline. It has it’s own Jacuzzi area too, which we’re used to hot jacuzzi’s in Canada, but they were regular pool temperature, which is nice on super hot days. The beach was far away, which is no big deal at all. We took the buggy cart there, and sometimes walked. I really liked the area since there wasn’t many kids, compared to other pools that had their own water bouncy castles for kids. So that made it a way more quiet area. Which was great.

The room was nice and big. There was a king sized bed, table and chairs, couch, patio and the bathroom was nice and spacious with a Jacuzzi tub. A safe was also available in the room, which we didn’t end up using. There was also an iron, iron board and umbrella in the closet too. The mini fridge normally had about 2-3 beers, 2 pepsis, a sprite, orange pop, diet pepsi and a large bottle of water. It got restocked every day which was great.

A few downsides of the trip though. On Valentines day, housekeeping didn’t come to our room. We were out by the beach until 4pm, and we came back to a room that had no power and also wasn’t made up. We called down to the desk and housekeeping came up right away. They made the bed up nice, with real rose pedals and a cute little Valentines day card. They also fixed the power, which apparently there is a little box where you place your room key into, by the front door, to activate the power.

The resort is huge and very overwhelming on the first day. Staff speak okay English. However we didn’t have a problem asking for specific things, like cerveza (beer) and agua (water). Saying thank you and please was easy too. But it was hard to ask other things though. Like the first night we went to a different buffet, and they just pointed to an area, and never told us where to find it. Also, the first night, our keys didn’t work, so the bus boy dropped my boyfriend off at a lobby, which was our own lobby, but we didn’t know. And my boyfriend was confused since we checked into the main lobby at first.

Shopping was interesting, but not the best deals. The stores won’t negotiate with you. It’s like walking into Walmart, you pay the price that is given to you. However, the area with the portable shops, you can haggle with them. But not expect a good price. They try to do 10% discount. And prices are expensive. So unless you want to be the jerk who says
”I’ll give it to you for $5.00” for something they think is worth $60, I don’t know if they will do it for you. Otherwise, expect regular American/Canadian prices. It’s not like Cuba, where you can buy something nice and super cheap like a few bucks.

Some shows I would suggest for you to see is the Michael Jackson show (A MUST SEE, it’s like the real thing), the circus, the grammys and well anything with “stars”, like grease, etc. The girl performers tend to wear the most provocative things. Their butss are shown in every show you see. Even “Disney Princesses”, Pocohantus dancing, showed her butt a few times.

Other than that, I loved my stay at the resort. Spent lots of time by the beach and pool.

Also, the food is great. I suggest the Japanese restaurant and the Italian for the A-La-Cartes. Don’t go to the Spanish one if you plan on getting something that isn’t fish. Cause my pork still had hair on it… As for the buffets, great food. Different theme every day. And the snack bar by the beach, is buffet style, and always a decent selection.

Would I go here again? Possibly. There is a lot of variety, but it is way too big for my liking. Too many people. If I could be on a whole other resort, but go back for the food and entertainment, I would. But if you are into that, this resort is for you.

3  Thank 111an000

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially our nice rooms, Michael Jackson´s show, and great food.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spoke to Marisela and Lissolotte by phone and email before we arrived and they took care of every request and need. The room was exactly where we wanted. Introduce yourself if u have a chance. They r just terrific. The dinner reservations were handled perfectly. The grounds were unbelievably maintained. All the staff were warm, attentive, and efficient. The beach, while crowded(get there early to reserve chairs under a hut), was clean, sand like powder, and offered a constant pleasant breeze. We like to walk and run and the resort size was perfect for it. But there are numerous trams running. It takes a couple of days to learn your way around. Food was plentiful and diverse. You'll need to find the right bar tender for the best drinks. Two negatives--too much cigarette smoke on the lobby and casino and our room was not made up one day and when we got back at 10 pm it still was not attended to. We called for towels 3 times and they finally arrived at 11:30 pm. Just an inconvenience.
Shops on the grounds r fun to walk thru.
Internet service just doable. Can't use the iPhone app for email. Must go to the web page. Would go again! Good for couples, families and children.

For they unaware, walk directly to your transportation from yr plane. Avoid the airport concierge people. They just want to sell u something.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Lewis L

Dear Client,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel.

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for highlighting the good aspects, such as maintained grounds, efficient and attentive staff, clean beach, and plentiful food. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to Marisela and Lisselotte.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I (and our 10 and 7 year old) travelled to GBP Punta Cana from feb 11-18th. We've read many many reviews before we left and got a good sense of the resort. Despite the many reviews, we were still blown away by the sheer size of the resort!!! We did not leave the resort the whole week and still didn't discover every corner. But for me, this is not a complaint - we love the leisurely walks exploring.

In reading through the reviews I found many who were very pessimistic and critical. I pity the people who wait all year for vacation to only complain and whine their vacation away. The whole point to traveling is to experience other cultures, ways of life, food, languages, etc. So if you don't like that the staff aren't all fluent in American, then just stay home!

I'll give you a little detail of the resort that I hope you'll find useful:

ROOMS

Our room was cleaned daily (although sometimes it wasn't until 5pm when we returned from the pool and all needed showers), great job, and we made a point to tip the chambermaid each day. The rooms were very spacious. Beds were very comfortable although we found pillows too high. We sprayed the perimeter of the room with bug spray so had no bug issues. we were royal golden (worth it as it was closer to the beach) .

POOLS

We found the pools by the beach great - close to the bars and washrooms and the snack restaurants which had a good selection for a light lunch. Yes, we had to wake early to drop off towels and save seats, but I'm an early riser, so no bother. Every Thursday they bring in jumbo inflatable slides that land in the water that the kids loved! We also made the trek (by bus) to the kids waterpark at the front of the resort which was new and clean, and the kids loved. Lots of loungers and there was a bar closely too. Every day they bring around animals (parrots, monkey, iguana ) that we got pics done with the kids. Pics are great quality and $10.00 each.

FOOD

There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. A la carts were good. Best was the Japanese tapanaki. We celebrated my sons birthday there, and they happily accommodated our request to have a cake made and delivered to the restaurant for his birthday dinner. I brought along candles and sparklers to make it special! We also tried the BBQ, and the pescador which were OK. Tip: make your reservations early to get your choices and good dining times. My only complaint was that, as an early riser, I had to make it all the way to the main buffet to get my early morning coffee. but as many have noted, the coffee machines in the lobbies made
wonderful caramel cappuccinos!! Comparable to starbucks! Buffet food was great with plenty of options for all.

ENTERTAINMENT AND RELAXING TIME

We did make a point to see the Michael Jackson show which was excellent ( Monday's). All other evenings we spent having drinks and nuts in the lobby. Very relaxing evenings. We tried the shops at the front of the resort - very aggressive salespeople. My husband tried the casino one night and won a few hundred, so a good night for him.

BEACH

The beach at the Bahia is very crowded - 5 rows of chairs. But a leisurely walk down the beach found us more room. Beaches were very clean and waters were crystal clear and turquoise blue. Some of the best beaches we've ever seen! If you walk towards the beach turn right, and walk
for about 30minutes where you'll find a white tented market . Much better prices. We did the parasailing on the beach which was great!

SERVICE

If you treat people with respective and patience, you'll do fine. We found all the staff very helpful, and a tip never hurts. Simple respect and a smile goes a long way. We brought lots of dollar bills for tipping. These guys work very hard and deserve it.

Overall you can tell by now that we had a great, relaxing vacation. We'd definitely return to and recommend this resort. It's not Sandals, but we came knowing that, so managed our expectations, and had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Diamond or Royal Golden are worth it, just to be a little closer to the beach. It's a looooong w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank visitedonce
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for highlighting our great pools, Japanese Restaurant, excellent Michael Jackson´s show, and helpful staff.

We are very pleased that we were able to meet your expectations. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived at Grand Bahia Principe Bravaro on February 14th, Valentines Day.....we stayed in the Hacienda rooms....BEAUTIFUL!!! The room and grounds were decorated for Valentines day. The rooms were clean and beds made so pretty every day. The grounds were so beautiful and everything had such a classy touch. The food was good, the el pescador restuarant was the best. Liked the different selections at the buffets. Staff-friendly and excellent. Beach was unbelievable beautiful. The staff was constantly working on the grounds to make everything perfect. The pools were gorgeous. The entertainment around the pool and beach ever day made is so fun. Can't say enough ---LOVED IT. My only complaint would be that if you had a problem with your room, for instance, our phone broke and it took them a couple days to tend to the problem. But that is just small stuff--want to go back and take my three boys and share the wonderful experience with them!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Hacienda rooms.....closer to the beach and more amendities
1  Thank Deanna H
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our clean rooms, beautiful grounds, good food, different buffet selection, unbelievable beach, and friendly staff. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations in your stay and Valentine’s Day.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue demonstrating you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

ok this is an honest review having travelled to cuba, jamiaca. punta cana this trip finally made me write a review.THE GOOD.clean well mantain outside gardens, clean public washrooms, clean pools beach area kept super clean.THE BAD JUST WAY TO BIG first there are 5 yes 5 resort areas crammed into 1 property. This is not a problem at riu,s or iberstar,s as they are spread out on beach front with there own facilities which means, there is a buffer zone not at this place. Main pool very poor layout as one side is designed for childern other for adults as pool levels were, different this did not stop.kids from using deeper pool with swim up bar. should not have to watch what type lanaugae is being used. A sign indicating ADULTS ONLY would have been nice as parents just don,t care.Pool did get crowded wacthed a lady with small kids set there loungers behind other people thougth is was strange until she said something in russian ,next thing kids are jumping into pool splashing people on loungers until they moved not fare to people who take the time to get there spot i know. this is not hotels fault once again a simple would help'.THE BEACH way to small for number of people there in high season, not a problem for early risers like me. Always wonder how people had extra towels thus allowing them to save extra loungers witness family of 5 saving 11 spots yes 11 spots in different areas just go to beach towel return area early before they open night staff put all unclaimed towels on chair by towel return area.CLEANING STAFF this was hit an miss rooms not cleaned until betwwen 4 &6 pm, while they do mop floors they used same water in bucket for whole lower level feet should not be black after you get out of tub i think this why they supply slippers.AT RIUS watch cleaning staff mop our floor with clean water then flush down toliet, I think being out my room for an average 4 or 5 hours, they should have suffiencent time but not this hotel.MANAGEMENT would have not beleived it unless there ambar which was right beside us had a very large wedding some say 110 guest watch people arrive only to be moved to another area,over booking or just wedding pushing people out, talk to one couple who thougt they had a room in this area WHICH is adults only being moved to area with kids.Closed 2 restraunts plus 1/4 of beach area for wedding .what about rest clients money talks bs walks which was rest of us

Room Tip: watch middle area, first building by lagoon area smells like sewage being a plumber this not swamp...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank travellers325

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. Thank you for highlighting our well maintained gardens, clean public washrooms, and clean pools beach area.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, especially either of our Luxury Don Pablo Collection, which are a superior category and offer you an even more exclusive service, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.