“Awesome resort!”

Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Awesome resort!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at Al Sol Del Mar May 27-30 in the 3rd floor of building 11. A wonderful resort with gracious, accomodating people. As with other reviewers, we were surprised that this resort was as uncrowded as it was (we practically had the entire building 11 to ourselves) but thankful as it was as it provided a very private, quiet atmosphere for us. Food was plentiful, a good variety & tasty. When we wanted a somewhat different experience we ate at the restaurants at Sanctuary & were equally pleased. We did not experience the less accomodating experience at Sanctuary that some reviewers had when they learned we were staying at Al Sol. Only warning I will give to others is to make sure your taxi drivers know exactly where you want to go; one of our drivers spoke no English & took us to the other Al Sol resort some distance away despite our continuous attempts to tell him our resort was the opposite direction.

Great job employees of Al Sol Del Mar!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank David S
Dear David S,

Thank you for your beautiful review in regards to your recent stay at AlSol del Mar! It makes us very happy to know that you have enjoyed the accommodations, the service of the staff and the tranquil atmosphere of the resort.

In regards to your comments about the taxi, and for the benefit of those thinking of, or coming, to AlSol del Mar, we can arrange transportation from the airport in order to guarantee that the driver that picks guests up, knows where the resort is located... I am sorry to know that your arrival wasn’t as smooth as it should have been

Nevertheless it is great to know that your overall experience was “awesome” and we would love to have the honor of welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My parents, husband, and I stayed at Alsol Del Mar last week....I have never been to another all-inclusive with such an amazing staff that is dedicated to servicing their guests. First impression, the view and resort is breathtaking. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and tour of the site. Pedro and Angel handled so many of our needs and requests. Our first room the AC wasn't working correctly, so they moved us that way we would be happy guests.

Our rooms were amazing, they were clean and modern. We didn't spend much time in our room because you are in paradise! The maid service made sure our fridge was stocked with drinks, our linens were cleaned/replaced, and our room was kept clean.

I have to say the best part about Alsol Del Mar is the staff. Everyone was so nice and really wanted to make sure your stay was the best it could be. We loved Ezekiel, Gomez (aka A Rod), and Jean Carlos they always served with a smile and would take the time to make sure we were happy. Ezekiel even packed us a lunch on the day we left so we could eat on our way to the airport. Gomez was my husband's favorite. He would make sure if we needed anything he would go out of his way to make sure we were okay and happy. All of their smiling faces make our stay even better. Mikael was great because he provided entertainment for us. We were able to meet some amazing people through his events. We really enjoyed interacting with the other couples there at the resort.

The property is only a 10 minute walk to the Sanctuary where you can use all of their services. The restaurant and swim grill was great! Everyone should try the ceviche and beef skewers. We actually ate on site every night. All of the food was great and they would make special request!

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing get-a-way. If we are looking for a place that is busy with tons of people, things going on, or a party you may want to find another place.

Room Tip: Building 9 was on the water basically.
4 Thank Kim M
Dear Kim,

Thank you for your detailed review relating your experience while staying at AlSol del Mar. We are always happy to read from our guests and knowing that once again we have met our commitment to great service and unforgettable experiences.

We have passed along your comments to the staff members you make mention of. It is a great motivator to know that their efforts in providing outstanding service has been noticed, and we thank you for acknowledging them. Our staff is indeed the best feature of our resort, and consist of diligent and dedicated group that live for the joy of seeing smiles on our guests faces!

We would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again in the not too distant future, in the meantime, we remain here at your service.

Hotel Manger
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2014

What a great vacation spot! A wonderful resort, great food and the best staff we have ever seen! From the hotel manager Saskya to Sandro, Santaigo, Confesor, Ezequiel, Miguel and Mikael, we felt we made a bunch of new friends, these wonderful people treated us like family!

Our every need was met and surpassed. I have Celiac's disease and they were very conscientious about my dietary requirements. I wrote out the requirements in Spanish so they could understand and all the food was great.

We met and made some great new friends with other couples at the resort as well.

We had a lovely two bedroom, 2/12 bath suite with full kitchen and washer dryer. There was a hot tub on our large private patio made ready for us just for asking. We had a welcome glass of champagne, sat on their deck while they checked us in, we didn't have to lift a finger. We will definitely be back to Alsol Del Mar!!

Dear Cheyenne1957,

It is always a great satisfaction to read reviews like yours. Our purpose at AlSol del Mar is ensuring that every guest feels welcomed, looked after and totally pampered! We are delighted to know that you have felt our love for what we do!

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed the amenities of our beautiful two bedroom suites... They are indeed amazing, and offer a lot of space and comfort.

We will be honored to have the opportunity of welcoming you again!

Arizona
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The most critical component of any resort, in my opinion, is their staff. One can have the most picturesque setting, the most sumptuous food and drink, and the perfect rooms, but if one gets the feeling the staff does not care, then nothing else means too much. The people who work for AlSol Del Mar are a hard-working, delightful eager-to-please group that made this place so memorable.
We stayed at the Al Sol Del Mar resort from 5/24-5/31 and had a marvelous time. If you like a small, quiet, and beautiful place to vacation in the Dominican Republic, then this is the place for you. The rooms are spacious suites and we were pleasantly surprised to find it fully equipped with a full sized stocked refrigerator, washer and dryer, stove, microwave, dishes and silverware. Our suite was two story with living quarters downstairs and bedroom upstairs. A balcony looked out over the pool, grounds and beach. We enjoyed coffee each morning on our balcony.
The food is good at Del Mar, but being vegan, we ate some of our meals at their sister resort, The Santuary, which is only a ten minute walk down the lovely beach. Don’t get me wrong, the restaurant staff was quite amendable to making changes in their menu items to suit our needs, but it was fun trying out the other five restaurants at the Sanctuary as well. So being vegetarian or vegan is rather easy to do there!
We met a lot of other wonderful guests during our stay. That is another benefit of a small place.
There was never a problem getting chairs at the spacious pool or beach. The chairs are very comfortable as well. They have a nice swim-up bar at the pool, but if you wish, you don’t even have to leave your seat at the pool or beach. The staff continually checks on each guest taking drink AND food orders from the bar and pool grill. And once they find out what type of drink you like, don’t be surprised if they out-of-the-blue show up with one without you even asking.
Michael is the activities director and does a remarkable job of getting activities going around the pool with dart and bocce ball tournaments, drink making lessons, dance lessons, and even shopping trips into town. He also leads a bicycle tour of the area each morning which is worth taking part in. Well done Michael!
Our new found friends Santiago, Geraldino, Jean Carlos, Confesor, Ezequiel, and many others make this place special! The entire staff shines. My wife and I were sitting on the beach the day before we were to leave. A lady dressed in a white housekeeping uniform came up to us accompanied by Karen, the concierge director. She wanted to tell us that she had found a $20 bill on the floor that I had apparently dropped and wanted to bring it to us. I wanted to say “just keep it”, but I didn’t. I merely thanked her for being so honest. My wife told me it was better not to just give it to her, but instead reward her at the end of our stay—which we did. You can genuinely tell that each and every employee is there to take care of you and they take great care in doing so. The obvious zest, enthusiasm, and happiness each of them employs in doing their duties was refreshing and I will take this lesson back with me.
If it wasn’t such a gorgeous place, the lessons learned from the staff is more than enough to recommend the AlSol Del Mar to everyone. I am ready to go back!

2 Thank AZTedandBarbee
Dear AZTedandBerbee,

What a great feeling it is for us to read reviews like yours. We are honored by your words and thank you very much for acknowledging the magnificent group of people that make AlSol del Mar such a special place.

It makes us really happy to know that the honesty, dedication and hard work of the team has left lasting impressions on you. We proudly showcase true Dominican hospitality and our goal is to ensure that everyone leaves AlSol del Mar with new friends, happy memories and a desire to come back.

We will be honored and look forward to welcome you again!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I'd like to say this vacation was a gift, so when I arrived at this resort with my two cousins, I was so impressed the lobby was beautiful and the staff was great! We were served champagne by Nicolas, he was so friendly. We proceeded to our room, it was beautiful! The view was amazing,
to the left the ocean, palm trees white sandy beach, to the right we could see the whole grounds! The restaurant was so nice, outside patio, the service was amazing. Jean Carlos he was so friendly and that smile just brightened your day! The food was Awesome!! We had the pleasure of meeting Sergio, he was friendly and funny!! Roberto was friendly too. We spent a lot of time at the pool, swim up bar, beautiful view in the pool to the beach. That's when we met Mikael! Mikael was my favorite, he brought people together to play bocce ball, horse shoes, he was funny and just a pleasure to be with. Mikael arranged trips to Casino, shopping, he was our tour guide. He made us laugh! Mikael was so very entertaining and he is Awesome at his job! The Yuile worked with Mikael, we just loved her, she was so kind and funny, the resort is so lucky to have these two people! The staff at the pool bar and grill were excellent, Cristian was our dancing waiter, Miguel bartender, kept the drinks flowing so fun to talk with! The staff at this resort was EXCELLENT! Angel was so funny and sweet. Manuel and Jose, Confesor, Oracio and Alejandro, Miguel, Ezequiel, we loved you all! Maria was housekeeping and she was so sweet! I would highly recommend this resort, it was the greatest staff ever, the resort is beautiful, the views are amazing, it's so relaxing. There are sister resorts, if you want loud and partying. We went to Santuary, and the staff was very friendly to us. We had dinner at Blue Marlin, I felt the food was 100% better at Alsol Del Mar (thank you to our Chefs) This was the best vacation ever, I learned to dance, I ate so much food, the drinks were great, the Staff was AMAZING, I HIGHLY
RECOMMEND THIS RESORT! The beds were very comfortable!! I will be back! Sandro thank you for the wonderful send off when we left!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ccvei
Dear ccvei,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of staying at AlSol del Mar for other travelers to see. We absolutely love to read reviews where we see testimony that our main goal has been achieved: to provide and excellent vacation experience for our guests, where they leave with happy memories, new friends and with the desire to come back.

We have forwarded your comments to the fine individuals you make mention of. They are always motivated by the fact that their outstanding service has been noticed.

The entire AlSol del Mar team looks forward to having the honor of welcoming you again, in the meantime we remain at your service!

Best regards,

Great Mills,
Reviewed May 27, 2014

After reading the "bad" reviews I was a little skeptical of this resort, but was immediately pleasantly surprised upon arrival. I would like to prelude my review with stating that my husband and I are VERY laid back travelers. We make the most out of everything, and have rarely experienced a bad time or horrible place.

This was our first trip to DR. We booked through Orbitz, and just a tip - make sure you are booking the All Inclusive package FOR SURE. We did not do this and ended up upgrading at the hotel, which was no problem at all and not that expensive either.

Another tip for travel, Alsol has recently taken over this property, and most local people know it as "Soto Grande". It is located next to Sanctuary in Cap Cana. I feel that if I hadn't read this somewhere else and presented it to our pre-booked transportation people, we would have gotten lost, as others have.

This is a VERY quiet resort. It does not have the typical hustle and bustle of other all-inclusive resorts, but the service is better than any other hotel I have stayed at in my life. Upon arrival, we were greeted with champagne and smiles. There is no "club" or anything like that so you are in for just a quiet, relaxing time. The lobby bar is great and you can sit outside to enjoy your drinks.

You can see that the resort is new and has not been fully brought up to the "luxury" standards as we know it in the United States, but it is very clean and the employees are all very nice. Even the workers fixing up the buildings are friendly. It appears to be a sort of "condo-hotel," and not all of the buildings were in use. We stayed in building 10, and the view was PHENOMENAL! I suggest upgrading your room prior to arrival. Some rooms have a hot tub on the balcony, and we would have preferred that. The beds are kind of hard, but we were exhausted at the end of each day and just crashed.

Like I said, this place is very quiet, but we appreciated the relaxing time. It was nice that people were not coming up to us trying to sell us trinkets and things like they do on the beach at the bigger resorts. Also, the hotel is in a gated community where they monitor who comes in and out.

Touching on the staff, every person we encountered was EXCELLENT! We especially had great interactions with Edwin, Santiago, and Horatio. Even though everyone was friendly and helpful, these three people really made our vacation memorable and fun. We didn't feel like there was much of a language barrier and really appreciated that everyone spoke English with us and helped with my Spanish a little bit :)

We stayed within the resort most of the time, but booked some excursions through the hotel. Scape Park Zipling and Dune Buggies, and Saona Island. Both were awesome and fun days for us. Even if we didn't do any excursions, I think we would have had an excellent time just lounging around the hotel.

As many other travelers have said, there are no "amenities" at this hotel as far as a gift shop for toiletries or ATM. However, there is a cash machine at the Marina, which another American traveler said was not compatible with his card (he had some sort of VISA bank card), but Sanctuary (the hotel directly next to alsol) can do a cash advance for a 10% charge. The fact that there was no ATM is our only gripe about the hotel. Cash is VERY important to have on hand, especially small bills for tipping.

We went to Sanctuary one day to check it out, since you can use their facilities, and I will agree with others that the staff was very rude to us compared to our friends at Alsol. The food was ok. We liked the food at Alsol, despite what others have said about it. There is only one restaurant in addition to the pool Bar/Grill, but there are varied menus. We enjoyed all of our meals at the restaurant, except for one day at the pool.

We were unable to participate in some of the activities, but thankfully made it to Bingo our last night. It was fun with lots of giggles and prizes. We had a great time!

Also of note, the photos posted by both travelers and management are accurate. This property is absolutely beautiful!

Overall, AMAZING trip! We will definitely be back to this resort!

Room Tip: Building 10 has great view of ocean and lagoon.
2 Thank ajolliver
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and this place was so nice. The best part of the resort is the staff. They are so nice and attentive. We were defitnely spoiled during our stay. They have an awesome view of the beach and the grounds are well maintained.

1 Thank Courtney D
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Alsol Del Mar? Share your experiences!