“I'm going back!!”

Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I'm going back!!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

So I literally just left this place last week and cannot get it off my mind. I had such a relaxing time but also had so much fun on my trip that I just booked another one for my next vacation in July! The grounds were beautiful, the room was private, clean, luxurious and comfortable. The staff was so pleasant and helpful, and the entertainment staff genuinely wanted you to enjoy your time there. Counting the days until I return =]

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JMZ12981
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Hola LadyJLeage!

We can't wait for your return!

There is nothing that makes us happier than knowing that a guest is returning again. We absolutely love our repeat-guests so please contact us at info@alsoldelmar.com with details on your next vacation.

Thank you for sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar for other travelers to see, and we have also started counting down the days!

See you soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Arlington, VA
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed at Alsol Del Mar for several days as part of a large group attending a wedding at the resort.

First the good:

The location is beautiful. The beach is large for the complex and the views are spectacular, especially on the back side of the resort. Because the resort was formerly a condo development, the rooms are enormous. We reserved a 1 bedroom suite, and after initially being put in the wrong room, we walked into an apartment with full kitchen, living area with a dining table that seats 8, and a giant balcony, all with quality furnishings. The pool was great, with a swim-up bar and 3 hot tubs (which were constantly malfunctioning, but the staff worked on them tirelessly one day). The staff is very friendly and try very hard (Eziquiel was great!). Please tip the staff regularly, just because you're at an all-inclusive doesn't mean that they shouldn't be tipped! You get a lot for the money with the all-inclusive plan, it is the least I've ever paid at an all-inclusive resort, and the room is much larger than any received at any other resort. It is a very quiet atmosphere for people looking to relax and not interact much with others or fill your days with activities and pool parties.

Now for the bad:

The resort is a failed condo development called Sotogrande at Cap Cana, part of a larger failed master planned development. The master plan called for many amenities, most of which never materialized. Therefore, there is extremely little to do at Alsol del Mar, even for a couple that wasn't looking to do much more on this trip than attend our friends' wedding and relax. Even a small shack with some snorkeling gear, some beach games, and a couple of kayaks would have been nice, and given the activities director a base of operations. They have a few games, but they're hidden in a box next to the pool bar. Any amenities such as a spa or gym are a 10 minute walk to Sanctuary.

The resort looks very nice at first glance, but being in real estate development I quickly noticed that the resort has significant issues just under the surface. By visual inspection I estimate that half of the rooms are either mothballed or out of service due to long standing repairs/maintenance issues. I noticed the roofs badly need to be replaced and work done to the balconies, the latter of which which we and another couple discovered the effects when water began raining into our bedrooms during a storm. Others had rooms flooded due to malfunctioning AC units, non-operating AC units, etc. The staff had trouble moving people to different rooms, and I suspect it was because of the aforementioned lack of habitable rooms. There is significant amounts of exterior woodwork falling apart/down. The pond around the restaurant was obviously never finished as planned, and is a blemish on the otherwise well landscaped central gardens. The walkways between the buildings need maintenance. The hot tubs by the pool were constantly malfunctioning or not working. The resort opened as Alsol del Mar only in December of 2013, and I have to say that I'm shocked that the owners opened the property before doing significant and necessary (and expensive) repair and maintenance work.

The beds are hard as a rock. I ended up taking the back cushions of the couch and lining them up on the bed so that i could sleep on top of them. This seemed to be a common complaint.

While the staff was exceedingly friendly, outgoing and hard working, they have not been sufficiently trained to provide service expected at a resort of the caliber that Alsol del Mar is trying to achieve. Service was spotty at the pool unless you were at the bar, nonexistent on the beach, and some of the staff struggled to understand the guests (orders were taken incorrectly). Bellhops didn't show. Room service never appeared. I don't blame the front line staff for any of this, they just need more training and better oversight. The housekeeping staff seemed to do a great job, no issues there.

The food varied from acceptable to very good, depending on the dish and the day. We weren't floored by any of the food, but we were well fed. Though my wife and I are food snobs of sorts, so we may have higher expectations than some. I would suggest that visitors go to Sanctuary for some of your meals to expand your offerings.

All in all, we had a great time. We and the other guests were rarely in our rooms, so the room problems didn't bother us much. We made do with cool or scalding hot hottubs. We played volleyball and boccie ball (with the encouragement of Red Bull, the activities director), and our party drank more alcohol than they were probably expecting. I would say that for the cheap price and size of the rooms, many of the issues can be overlooked. But I strongly encourage the owners to invest in their property and show pride in it, rather than try to hide the legion of issues just under the surface.

Room Tip: Get at least a 1 bedroom suite, the price is only a pittance more than the junior 1 bedroom, and is...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ndb4g
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear ndb4g,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar. We take reviews, guests comments and any type of feedback very seriously, and diligently work in making our resort and ideal vacation spot where rooms, service and facilities meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the setting and overall facilities. We are also happy to clarify that work is being carried out methodically all around the property, especially wood and paint work on the exterior of the buildings.

Our room offer, as you mentioned, is unpatrolled to any small or large resort in the area, the rooms are generally impeccable, and we are sorry that you encountered problems with your unit, and we continue to take preventive measures to ensure that none of our guests encounter issues.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you found great value in our offer, and we would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you again.

We remain here at your service.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2014

First, if you're looking for a place bursting with energy and music, this is not the place for you. Go to Alsol del Mar for a relaxation, great staff, and beautiful views. We booked it with the all-inclusive option. We couldn't stay away from the ceviche, offered by the pool. It was soooo good! We found all the other food options really good as well, and definitely took advantage of around-the-clock food and drinks. Our suite was beyond gorgeous, clean, spacious, and more than we could ask for.

Let me repeat, they have amazing staff. At arrival, we were greeted with champagne. From that moment, we got nothing but great courtesy and manners. Edwin, Miguel, Ezequiel, Ramon, Yuli, and "James Bond" made it an unforgettable experience for us. Like I wrote, if you're expecting the party scene, you will be disappointed. If you're laid back and into great views and friendly people, then this is the place for you. I wish I was there right this moment!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keysi13
Hola Keysi13!

We wish you were here too! But we will be here waiting for you until you come and visit us again!

Thank you for sharing your experience at AlSol del Mar and for your beautiful words towards our accommodations, food and service.

This is indeed a relaxed resort ideal for those seeking peace and escaping a hectic routine.

We also thank you for taking the time to make mention of the members that have made your stay unforgettable, they have been made aware of your comments and are indeed the heart of our resort.

It would be a great honor for us to welcome you again.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We would go back without question! Truly one of the best resorts we have ever visited. The staff, the rooms, the service, the food, all excellent!! We were particularly impressed by the staff, from our arrival to every detail of our stay, the staff made the difference.

Room Tip: Nothing to add, rooms were great.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hola Adalgisa!

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your impressions of AlSol del Mar! It is a great honor for us to know we have met our goal of providing you with a great vacation experience.

The AlSol del Mar team would be delighted to have the opportunity of welcoming and serve you again.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Alsol Del Mar in Punta Cana is the perfect destination if you want a relaxing vacation with all the amenities, beautiful rooms, a beautiful area and pool to soak in the sun and a wonderful staff that will go above and beyond to ensure your stay is a great experience. This resort is not for you IF you're into resorts with loud music glaring all day, beaches packed with people, and waiting in line to eat. Alsol is for you if you want to escape from the daily stress of work life and decompress. It only has one restaurant with two different menus plus the beach grill but the food is excellent and if there's nothing on the menu that you like, they'll gladly make whatever you desire, if possible - just ask Geraldino (my Tocayo!). The grounds are beautifully maintained and the bathrooms behind the pool area are spotless at all times with fuchsia bougainvillea flowers spread out over the counter top daily. Very nice touch!
Again, apart from the beautiful location, pool and room, it is the staff that will endear you to this place and make you want to come back. Special thanks to Michael the entertainer for doing fun events around the pool, for providing special poolside drinks and for just being a great guy to talk to. Thanks to the concierge Yancarlos for upgrading our room. To all the wait staff (Yinet, Geraldino, Santiago, Juan Carlos (Marketing major), Confesor, Christian, Martin and anyone else we may have missed) for their 24/7 hospitality, pleasantness and excellenté service!

Olga & Tony

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hola Olga and Tony!

Thank you for your beautiful account of your stay at AlSol del Mar. We are glad you have enjoyed the food, drinks, rooms and entertainment, but above all, that you have felt taken care of and pampered by our staff. Each of them is indeed a representation of true Dominican hospitality.

We would love the honor of welcoming you again, and rest assured that we have forwarded your comments to all the fine individuals you mention.

The team of AlSol del Mar looks forward to welcoming you again!

La Romana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Upon arrival we were asked to leave a deposit of 5,000 DOP per room(we booked 2) in case we used the all inclusive bar and restaurant. When checking out I was issued a receipt to say the money had been returned to my account, however over a month later and the company has not issued a refund(to either credit card) despite having sent various emails. The company has simply ignored the issue and kept the equivalent of £150 from the two deposits.

I live in the DR and this is worst customer service I have experienced. Given the that the same problem has occurred on two separate credit cards I would be wary of staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Paul S
Hola Paul,

I would like to reassure you that AlSol del Mar is a serious business and under no circumstances we would intentionally deduct and collect money besides from what should be collected for your booking.

As I had the chance of explaining to you, this was a human error that caused the deposit to be collected instead of being processed as a hold. We are very sorry this has happened and apologize profusely for causing you concerns.

As a person that lives in the Dominican Republic you understand that these processes may take time. We are proud of our level of Customer Service and are really sorry that you have felt ignored. We are fast taking actions to correct mistakes, unfortunately, this time a third party was involved and this went beyond our control. Regardless, you have eventually received your money back and rest assured that all the measures have been taken to ensure that the deposit process at check in runs smoothly for future guests.

We remain at your service and hope that aside from this experience the rest of your time at the resort was enjoyable.

The Alsol del Mar team looks forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We vacationed at the Alsol Del Mar in March. We had a two bedroom, oceanfront condo for my husband, myself and two daughters. We normally go to the Caribbean during our daughters’ spring break to get away from the winter in the Midwest. This was our first time visiting Punta Cana. We rented a car and explored the island, but decided ultimately that we really didn’t need it and were content to stay on property and enjoy the beach, pool and amenities and restaurants at the Sanctuary and nearby Juanillo Beach. The beach at Juanillo is a walkable distance from the hotel and definitely worth a visit. Go early in your visit, because you will likely want to go back.

The vibe at the Alsol DelMar is very relaxed and is perfect if you are looking for a quiet, low-key get away. The staff is extremely friendly and really do go the extra mile to make sure that the guests enjoy their stay. There are a few coordinated activities each morning like yoga, Spanish lessons, beach volleyball etc. and a few in late afternoon – like bocci, darts competition, cocktail exhibition, etc. These activities are neither mandatory nor intrusive. The activities were a good way to get to know the staff and meet other guests. We felt that there was just enough stuff going on to make things interesting but not so much that we felt like it was cutting into our rest and relaxation time. Yuli, Juan Carlos, Miguel, Pablo and Santiago all made the trip very enjoyable.

Neither my husband or I speak Spanish and we did find a slight language barrier the first day at the pool bar but we took the free Spanish lesson offered the next day and had no problems the rest of the week communicating what we needed. There is also free wi-fi at the pool so you can use the I-Translate app if you are in a pinch. Front desk staff speaks perfect English.

Sanctuary hotel is a short walk down the beach and is managed by the same company that manages this property. There is a reciprocal arrangement where you can eat at their restaurants and use the gym facilities. We found that the food was generally better executed at the Sanctuary but we had several good meals at the Alsol Del Mar as well. We found the Sanctuary hotel to be very crowded with towels covering every “saved” chair. We never had a problem finding a chair at the pool or beach at our hotel. Although the Sanctuary is a very nice property we actually preferred our hotel, and we were glad we stayed there instead.

The balcony in our unit was huge and the views of the ocean unencumbered. The unit had two separate bedrooms and a living room/kitchen in the middle, It also had a washer and dryer. Ours had detergent, but some of the other guests said that they lacked detergent and none is sold on property. If you don’t plan on having a car, you might want to bring some from home as well as plenty of sunscreen etc. There is a grocery store, Nationale, in town about a 10 minute drive from the property that has anything you would need. We also were at the Super Polo grocery in San Juan Plaza in Bavaro – this was a more local scene but didn’t have any better selection that Nationale. One other thing to note is to bring plenty of small bills. There is nowhere on property to break large bills or get change.

The hotel in general is nice, but the property could benefit from some improvements such as staining the exterior woodwork, fixing some roof damage and making sure all the finer details in the unit were attended to. None of these things really impacted our vacation but would help to further improve the property. We paid about half of what we would for similar lodging at another island in the Caribbean during prime March season – overall, we felt that it was very good value for the money and really enjoyed our stay at the AlSol Del Mar.

I was concerned about whether we should stay in Cap Cana vs. Bavaro Beach prior to going, but feel that we made the right choice for what we were looking for. If you are looking for a more active / party scene this might not be the place for you.

Overall it was a great vacation and thanks so much to all the staff – they really make this hotel special.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit that has a balcony facing the ocean or pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank STLfamilyfun
Saskya C, Manager at Alsol Del Mar, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hola STLfamilyfun,

We appreciate you taking the time to share for other travelers your experience of staying at AlSol del Mar. We are delighted to know that the relaxed atmosphere was perfecto for you. This is indeed a perfect low-key getaway, as you say.

We are also happy to know that you have enjoyed the overall setting, rooms and entertainment.

Work has already started on your suggestions in terms of improvements, and we are happy to know that none of these were deterrents for you having a great time.

We would be honored to have the opportunity of welcoming you again and in the meantime remain here at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Alsol Del Mar? Share your experiences!