Alsol Del Mar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,027 results
All reviewsjean carloscap canawasher dryerfull kitchenbedroom suitesister resortpool barjuanillo beachall inclusive packageluxury villageoutdoor showerpoolside grillcab ridedominican buffetroom servicequiet resortbreakfast and dinner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Great family destination. We had a 2 bedroom "condo" with full kitchen and sitting area. Great outdoor patio with outdoor couch and a big table. We spent most of our time on the patio. Coffee in the morning watching the sun come up and afternoon drinks on the patio while the kids played at the pool. This configuration is much better than a hotel for a family. Employees are extremely nice and eager to help. Large infinity pool. Actually the nicest swimming pool I have been in. I did not measure (so don't be upset if I am wrong) but probably close to 75m long. Not much nightlife which I take as a huge plus. Would definitely bring my family back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank E_and_J_Pgh
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I rented our room via vbro.com (vacation rental by owner) --- Listing 449990. However, there is a hotel portion of the property that offers an all-inclusive package. We met some people who said they found an all-inclusive deal on Expedia. The grounds are neatly manicured. There is one main pool, that is very nice. It is long enough that my husband was able to swim laps in the pool. There are also 3 smaller pools (that were described as hot tubs, but the water was not heated). The amenities in the condos and rooms vary. We resided in a 1 bedroom unit. It had a modern refrigerator. There was no oven, but 2 burners on a small stove. There was some type of problem in our unit & we had to light the stove directly (with matches). There was a washer and dryer in our unit. This privately owned unit also had a housekeeper (who would come as often as requested). She was very nice, not intrusive. We asked her to come twice a week (no additional charge for the housekeeper). There is a grill located right next to the pool. The selections are very limited. The food at the grill is right at average (what you might expect for all-inclusive). We ate breakfast (buffet) in the more formal restaurant. The brunch was average (cereal, pastries, eggs, pancakes, french toast, waffle, bacon, sausage, juices), We paid extra for 2 bottles waters. The brunch was $50 U.S. dollars (if you were not on all-inclusive package). The brunch was not worth $50. We primarily ate lunch and dinner prepared in our condo --- and splurged on nice dinners out in town. I got the sense that most of the staff could speak English fairly well, but did not understand English well. For example, when we ordered lunch one day at the grill, we confirmed we would get lettuce and tomato with our food. I got a chicken wrap (with chicken only) and my husband got a grilled chicken sandwich, with no dressing or lettuce/tomato, but with a grilled zucchini. When my husband spoke Spanish to the wait staff, the food orders were correct and if we asked for directions or assistance, things seemed to go better.

The beach is very nice ---- a little rocky. We brought water shoes (like those used in water aerobics classes) and they worked well when in the ocean. There are nice beach chairs, some with cushions. It was usually quiet and serene at the beach and pool. There were many people with small children at the property. We rented a car from Avis. If you have any desire to leave the main property grounds, then I would recommend renting a car. A taxi ride one way from the airport is around $30 --- and it is only a 10 or 15 minute ride from the airport. We saved on collision insurance by getting the insurance via our credit card (rather than that offered by the car company). Apparently, international collision insurance is a benefit that is often available (at no cost to you), but you just have to ask your credit card benefit person. I got a printout confirming the collision insurance ahead of time and called Avis to be sure they would take the Visa insurance before we arrived. We added personal injury insurance for $13/day, once we got to Dominican Republic (to be on the safe side). I would visit this property again.

1  Thank Dooleyvilleblog
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I were really excited to go on our long delayed honeymoon and were looking forward to the low-key experience of Alsol Del Mar. Sadly, when we pulled up we were told to wait in the lobby for over 20 minutes and then were informed that they didn't have a room for us and would take us to their sister hotel. Well, their sister hotel did not have the amenities that we booked Alsol Del Mar for. No beach, no swim up bar, no room service. It was just terrible. and the worst part was our reservations weren't transferred over so they kept trying to charge us for everything despite the fact that we had paid for all-inclusive. Plus, instead of upgrading our room or giving us a discount on our stay, we were given a free 7 night stay for a future stay...sometime in the next year. As if picking up and flying to the Dominican Republic from Idaho in the US is super easy.

Needless to say, we checked out and had to find a place online at the last minute. I am really disappointed that we did not get the experience we booked when I had spent so much time trying to find the perfect location.

7  Thank Kelsey B
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I just got back and I have to say it was one of the most relaxing vacations I've ever had. We stayed on the side facing the ocean (room 11301) and had a hot tub on our deck. It was awesome watching the stars at night with a glass of wine on the deck. We spent a lot of time by the pool, which is absolutely beautiful. Landscaping on the resort is phenomenal and everything is plush and colorful. The service was amazing and there is always a friendly face wiling to bring you a Presidente (beer) while you put your feet up and relax. The food at the restaurant is delicious (and I am a food snob!) and the casual eats by the pool were excellent for lunchtime grub. One of the things I loved most is how close it was to the airport, unlike other Punta Cana resorts that we looked into. We were only a 15 minute (very scenic) drive from the airport. Overall a great spot for couples or families looking for a peaceful getaway.

1  Thank EllenHG
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My cousin and I stayed three nights at Alsol del Mer on Cap Cana, a new property in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. We got a great deal through Jetsetter.com.

When we arrived we were put in a room at the farthest point on the property. It didn't appear to be very busy so we were surprised to be so far away. Karen, the manager, offered to move us closer the next day as rooms opened up, but it was only three nights so we stayed put. Other than the shower flooding into the bathroom and hall after each use, the "apartment" worked out fine. It had a nice kitchen area, two king beds, a washer/dryer, wifi, safe and private deck.

We were told our unit was not part of the "hotel" so housekeeping didn't show up the first morning, but we just shrugged it off. The room was brand new and lacking lights in the bathroom but It was clean with comfortable beds.

The property is really lovely. The beach has the bluest gentlest water and softest white sand. The infinity pool is huge and clean with plenty of comfortable chaise lounges and circular beds to sit in sun or shade. The grounds are really lovely.

The three restaurants they tout is really only ONE restaurant with different menus that they alternate from night to night and a pretty beach bar serving lunch and SOME NIGHTS dinner (the printed schedule is not to be trusted, always have a back up plan!) If you stay at Alsol try to eat as many meals at the beach bar, it's nice to be outside by the sea. I recommend over ordering a bit, so not to be disappointed if what comes out of the kitchen is lacking or missing something...it will be. French fries come out instead of grilled vegetables, the plain Cesar salad always has chicken in it, Decaf coffee is instant powdered Nescafé.

We noticed some of the waiters worked long shifts and despite this, remained very kind and friendly.. Alsol is not well managed and I hope it improves because It's a very pretty resort and could be a success if they can work all the bugs out.

The wine and champagne flow and it is usually tasted pretty good (by now you know I am very picky). The standard tropical drinks are available along with bottled water to keep you hydrated in the intense sun. They might fool you but the waiters' comprehension of English is minimal- when I ordered wine with a little ice it caused some consternation at the bar and the manager came over to see if I really wanted ice cream with my wine!

The coffee is strong and delicious, but the breakfast buffet is truly dreadful. They might make you eggs and fresh toast to order if you ask. They were able to manage that one morning. The rest of the food is acceptable but you will be disappointed if you order anything that is not exactly off the menu. I know, I tried! I kept ordering plain grilled fish (twice it came dried out, smothered with some sauce) and a salad with dressing on the side (ha!).

The second night, looking for a better food experience, we decided to take advantage of the restaurants at a reciprocal property called the Sanctuary five mins down the beach. The place looked beautiful and it seemed a lot more interesting. We called a cab when we got to the lobby and although we were told we didn't have to call ahead for a cab or make a reservation for the restaurant, it sounded simple, but the cab took forty minutes to arrive. When we got to the Sanctuary, the Steak House was closed, but the concierge called a cart to take us to the Wok, the second highest rated restaurant on the property. When we arrived, despite our long trek and growling stomachs we were once again turned away due to no availability of tables. They sent us back to try the Italian restaurant, but there was a 45 minute wait there as well. By now we had figured out Island time- a 45 minute wait =2 hrs. Frustrated, angry and starving, we headed back to Alsol del Mar. The golf cart driver took pity on us and drove us back and the open air ride was nice.

The waiters at our hotel that nite were great, knowing we were frustrated after our two hour wild goose chase. They made made us laugh and kept filling our wine glasses. We retired in good spirits, finally understanding that both hotels are not only on "island time", but that nothing really works at either of them. The waiters do not get orders down correctly or perhaps they do and the kitchen does not comply but regardless something is seriously wrong. The food choices are very limited (we were told they were still trying to find dependable food suppliers).You really have to lower your expectations , relax and enjoy the beach!

Karen in a sincere attempt to make us happy asked what she could do for us, she said anything! We told her, we would eat at the beach bar the next night, but please just some grilled fish and shrimp for Pete's sake! The staff was expecting us, those loco American women, and told us the chef was preparing a special grilled red snapper just for us! it was a gorgeous night under the stars and I had some champagne. Ten minutes later our waiter came back to say it would be Mahi Mahi. So once again ignoring my cousin's pleading gaze that said, "Pam give it up!", I requested it grilled, simple,with lime. It arrived in a pool of coconut sauce. The shrimp likewise.

The time came to check out. Karen couldn't even look me in the eye as I trudged by with my heavy bags- the man she called to help with my luggage from my faraway room never showed up.

The cab to the airport did show up on time, but dropped me at the wrong terminal. As I exited the cab another man grabbed my bags to take me to the correct terminal, then after the three minute stroll told me his services were $10.00- I gave him 2.00. He seemed ok with it.

Now I am sitting in the plane on the runway, it is 5:20 p.m. We were scheduled for take off at 2:40 p.m., but the pilot said there was an anomaly and our plane had to return to the gate. . If the plane does not get off the ground I will gladly stay an extra day. Now that I know what to do, I could be perfectly happy swimming in the turquoise waters one more time and having dinner (whatever they bring me) at the beach bar! Or I would call my own cab and find a local restaurant for real Dominican food which just might include fresh grilled fish. I 'd call ahead and make a reservation and then go to the Super Mercato and buy eggs and bread for breakfast to enjoy on the private deck. And this my friends is what I recommend you do. The place is really pretty and relaxing and we had a good time despite all of the above!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends